PDA

View Full Version : Need info about Phillips Tivo

mekuted
11-05-2002, 08:57 AM
I just ran across two new Phillips Direct/tivo recivers 6000,with remotes,i don`t know a thing about how they work ,although i know dish and p-3`s pretty well. i tried reading to find out what i need to do to hack this reciever,and i am lost.(question is there anyone reliable that i can send these recievers to that will ,set them up for me ,for a reasonable fee?? I tried puttin on of my loaded Hu cards in one reciever and everything seem to be slow,and i can only get the locals in my area, Thanks for any and all HELPPP!!!

groundhog
11-05-2002, 10:48 AM
There is plenty of info on this site, on how to hack that Tivo. It is actually the most common type of direct TV Tivo. The thing about this site, is that I'm pretty sure most people view this as a hobby & aren't that interested in seeing people use the info here to hack other peoples hardware, using other peoples hacks for money. Another thing is that direct Tv hacking discussions aren't allowed. You haven't really broken that rule, but I'm just warning you in case you do in the future. Anyway, if you feel inspired, do a lot of reading. There are two files called selectlocals & move channels to give you more locals. Before that, you would want to use extreme with kravens update, to make your box work for more than 30 days. If you want to pursue having someone do it for you, you can try the "For Sale" forum, but I'm not sure how much luck you'll have, or if you'll get many responces saying "This guys a good guy, he'll hack it for you". Seeing that it's not widely condoned, I would doubt that people get refferals for it.

mekuted
11-05-2002, 02:41 PM
sorry,i didn`t mean to cause any problems.

groundhog
11-05-2002, 03:46 PM
No problems. I was just trying to give you the general feel of the forum and where I think people stand. When I first came here, I suggested that someone fully hack their 2.0 Tivo with fixup, and share the backup of thier image. I was told something similar to What I told you. Later, 2.5 extreme was released, which kind of is similar to what I asked for, so who knows? But anyway, if you read enough it's not all that bad. It's certianly a lot easier now than when I first came here. Believe me, I didn't have a clue about Linix & I figured out what I needed to. It takes a little patience, but if you figured some of that direct tv stuff out, you can most likely figure this out. There's plenty of info, and readme's out there.

Torg
11-05-2002, 04:00 PM
groundhog was being nice and warning you before you made the same mistake many have.

Essentaily we hack the Tivo not the IRD. So what you will find is informaiton on how to display things on the screen, extract video from the box, or how to controll it remotly.

We have some nice features you can add like caller id. A web server to remotly control and monitor your system. And a DVD creation howto so you can make videos to watch elsewhere.

What we don't have, and you will see parts of it here from people who persist on asking those questions, is how to hack DTV. WE may talk about a 3M in general, but not how to do it. I can for example say you are exibiting X behavior on yout TiVo becase of your 3M. I cant say you need to add Y to your 3M to stop it. It is generaly a good idea to ask things about TiVo and leave DTV totaly out of it.

In fact your DTivo boxes Tivo part has very little to do with DTV in the first place. It does not know, other then it is inserted, anything about the CAM. It simply reads whatever output the IRD gives it and records that on the harddrives. It does have some tinteligence built in as to what is in that stream. Aside from that (well besides the BIOS) it knows nothing about the IRD.

I suggest you first learn what Linux is. There are many sources of this informaiotn freely on the Internet. After that go read though the howtos (they are the sticky posts of this forum). It will give you a pretty much ***** proff system for upgrading your Tivo. Then again as soon as you make it ***** proof they make a beter ***** :)