PDA

View Full Version : tydemux a new opensource (GPLed) Dtivo extraction tool

olaf_sc
11-07-2002, 04:13 AM
tydemux aims to provide a opensource (GPLed) Tivo MPEG extraction tool of high quality. While the first release is DTivo only I hope that the audience will help me to develop the necessary functions to make it work with SA Tivo TyStreams. Since I don't have a SA Tivo I hope that some one can provide me with example SA Tivo TyStreams.

While the first goal is to extract audio and video streams the primary goal is to convert TyStreams to either DVD or SVCD compliant MPEG streams. For DVD, frontend tools will be provided so you will be able to fit several Tivo recordings on a single DVD accessible though a top level DVD menu.

Current features of tydemux:

Extraction of video and audio (both MPEG and AC3/a52)

Audio probe, you don't need to worry about what type of audio a recordings has. tydemux will probe the whole TyStream, determine audio type and skip to the first chunk that has that type of audio.

tydemux is minimizing the Audio/Video sync offset. At the end of the execution it will tell you the offset in milli seconds.

You can tell tydemux to skip to a specific chunk in the TyStream although if you do you will need to tell tydemux what kind of audio the stream has. (this glitch will be fixed in comming versions).

Please see the README file in the zip archive for more information :D

Cheers Olaf

PS: Binaries for Linux provided in the zip archive plus the source code naturally

FredThompson
11-07-2002, 08:03 AM
Any plans for a Windoze version?

Torg
11-07-2002, 11:55 AM
It seems it have some issues with AC3 streams:

Record data: 01 00 03 97 ff fb 80 00 00 01 b5 82 2f fb dd 80
Probe: Got ac3 - 122
Probe: Got ac3 - 123
Probe: Got ac3 - 124
Probe: Got ac3 - 125
Probe: Mpeg: 0 AC3: 125
AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio
Setting audio frame size: 1536
Seeking TyStream start of AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio
Read Chunk: chunk 0 nr_records: 18165
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Analysis of the core file shows:

Core was generated by `/var/tmp/tydemux/tydemux -i 494604-The_Sopranos-Mergers_and_Acquisitions.ty -a'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#0 0x0804b745 in free_chunk (chunk=0x0) at chunk.c:63
63 chunk.c: No such file or directory.
in chunk.c

Its backtrace is this

#0 0x0804b745 in free_chunk (chunk=0x0) at chunk.c:63
#1 0x0804db91 in get_start_chunk (file_nr=3, right_audio=2496,
file_size=1221591040) at tydemux.c:656
#2 0x0804da86 in probe_tystream (file_nr=3, file_size=1221591040)
at tydemux.c:607
#3 0x0804cf68 in main (argc=9, argv=0xbffff984) at tydemux.c:307
#4 0x4003d1f0 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6

Somehow it got incorrect values for the AC3 chunk it
was reading. This is the code that producced the core

for (i=0; i < chunk->nr_records; i++) {
if(chunk->record_header[i].size != 0) {
free(chunk->records[i].record);
}

Altho I think its not that code, rather the nr_records
value that was misfead into it.

Also the -t option is not recognised by the program:

while ((flags = getopt(argc, argv, "n?hi:v:a:p:d:j:")) != -1) {

I belive you wanted

while ((flags = getopt(argc, argv, "n?hi:v:a:p:t:d:j:")) != -1) {

olaf_sc
11-07-2002, 12:44 PM
Hello Torg, thanks for your bug report.

Looks like we have a logical error here from my side :(.

Can you please do a "dd if=you_tystream of=error
bs=131072 count=8" and send it to me in a email my email is olaf_sc@yahoo.com

When I get the dd I will easily be able to debug it.

Originally posted by Torg

Also the -t option is not recognised by the program:
[/B]

Fixed :) New archive uploaded.

Cheers Olof

olaf_sc
11-07-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by FredThompson
Any plans for a Windoze version?

Yes, it one of my prime goals. Although I don't have a windows box at the moment. Need to dig up my old laptop and install a compiler and start porting.

Would be very happy if I got porting help since I'm very much a Unix developer only.

Cheers Olaf

Torg
11-07-2002, 01:24 PM
GOOD LUCK ON THE WINDOZE!!!!!!

Windows porting is ugly as hell. You will basilcy need to rewite about 75% of the code to allow it to work in win32. Its not like you can just use a cross compiler on it :(

Also I recompiled allowing the -t option (before you fixed it) and if I force the audio to -t 1 it seems to work (I have not yet muxed the output to test it).

I have also sent you the part of the stream via email. It looks to be padded with 00 bytes.

olaf_sc
11-07-2002, 02:07 PM
Well it's not that bad the Windows port I mean, it's not pretty most of the time but not that bad.

I kind of guess that it's a bad chunk (lots' or records) but the app should not coredump especially in a free :(. The funny thing is that the record size is the check to see if I should do a malloc or not hence it should be very okay to free it if it's != 0?? Well will have a closer look this evening when I get your email (please resend since you forgot to attach the stream). I think this is a offset error I simply free the wrong NULL record :(.

NOTE: All of you due to my silly yahoo email account I can only recive email with a size smaller than 1MB. Please send chunks in parts in several emails. I will setup a download area shortly where all of you will be able to store streams.

Cheers Olaf

GOOD LUCK ON THE WINDOZE!!!!!!

Windows porting is ugly as hell. You will basilcy need to rewite about 75% of the code to allow it to work in win32. Its not like you can just use a cross compiler on it :(

Also I recompiled allowing the -t option (before you fixed it) and if I force the audio to -t 1 it seems to work (I have not yet muxed the output to test it).

I have also sent you the part of the stream via email. It looks to be padded with 00 bytes.

jdiner
11-07-2002, 03:23 PM
Whooo boy. Ok. Umm....

I took a look at your code just because I was curious. You have made a ton of wrong assumptions in there. What you have might work in some cases. But you are going to miss almost every single corner case/oddity in a TyStream.

And you are ignoring even more of what goes in in the TyStream files than the original.

These comments while probably not all that helpful are simple, buckle up and get ready for a fun ride. There is lots of fun stuff left to do. :)

Don't get me wrong. I hope you find things that I missed and that at some point down the road things are better for everyone. You are just pretty much at the very start...

--jdiner

Torg
11-07-2002, 03:30 PM
jdiner, don't get me wrong, your programs have been very usefull. But even with the current relase it does not fully decode every ty stream. So rather then comment (correctly) on the fact that the software is missing things, why not include a short whitepaper on whatever you learned from the ty streams already. After all, ins't that what Open Source is all about. Isn't that what this forum is all about. People helping others to learn.

jdiner
11-07-2002, 04:34 PM
My stuff isn't opensource. Not yet anyway. Once I get mux'ing done to my satisfaction then I will be changing it status.

As for what I have figured out. I have posted darn near all of it, nothing I can think of that I have not, here on the forum. A pain to search it all out yes, but it is there...

--jdiner

olaf_sc
11-07-2002, 06:16 PM
“Okay let the flame feast begin”, or what was it Linus said in his famous one and only flame mail?

Jdiner, no one is doubt that your program is really great, however that doesn’t mean that you need to bash on my program. There is a subtle difference between saying “there is a ton of wrong assumptions” and “there is code that is making wrong assumptions about the tystream”

Negative marketing of my program to promote your isn’t exactly nice, however you are right about the fact that it’s just the start. I don’t have any other illusions.

Now over to the collaboration here at the deal database, trust me I have more or less read every post you made the last year along with a lot of other posts in regards to demuxing, remixing etc. You state that you have given all the information needed “just a plain search” as you say. This statement is utterly a plain bullshit.

You have most of the time got a bug report and then replied to the forum with a “got it fixed it” without giving more or less a single comment what was the real problem and how you did to come around it.
To make it a bit more balanced you have a few posts where you explain some of the syntax in the stream, with pointers to vsplit debugging output. However analyzing the debugging out put relives that you actually print bogus information. If this is done on purpose or just because you haven’t removed old “thoughts” in the code I don’t know.
Now reading all the posts of you like it’s more like you almost only relive information when it’s beneficiary for you, a behavior that is very much opposite to collaboration.

Now in regards to opensource you made a statement in this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=38627&highlight=opensource#post38627) back in Mars this year stating that Vsplit is a opensource project, as soon as daily massive rewrites are done.

I don’t know what you though back then but to tell you the truth I very much doubt that you ever will release the code. Just the plain fact that I offered to write the DVD creation code in exchange that you would open up the source tells me that.

What makes this even more upsetting is that a lot of people pitched in back then helping you with bug reports and money to buy hardware, presumably assuming that you would open the source in a month or so.

Now in order to bash a bit more you have actually violated the GPL license already (correct me if I’m wrong). In your tserver_mfs application that is a part of TyTool you use the GPLed code from mfs_streams, however you have not released (sent me) the source code as I requested in a private email to you over a week ago.

(See this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=49394&highlight=tytool#post49394) where you state that you use mfs_stream code )

Now over to the fact that you bash my code/comments, well it’s easy for you to do that since your code is closed. There is no way I can look at your code and bash back. Further more glancing at other code describing SA Tivo extraction telles me that my code is a whole lot easier to read (well documented).

Why did I write this program in the first place? Simple you didn’t go opensource, which basically makes your app not maintainable in the long run. Further more no one will benefit from you closing up all the info e.g. it would be really nice to write an mplayer plugin so we could play a tystream directly from e.g. a DVD/CD/HD without even converting it. NOTE: What I mean with benefit is not the usage of the app but the information sharing of the tystream structure.

-- Olaf

Torg
11-07-2002, 06:33 PM
Please, let us not turn this into a flame fest.

jdiner: Your work is well known, and very well liked. However so is your reluctance to share that code. Whatever you reasons are, you have not to date shared any of the information on the ty stream itself. Rather you have shared information about it.

olaf: I support the work you are doing 110%. I had hoped this thread would turn out to be a collective collaboration with the people here involved. Attacking jdiner, even after he attacked you, will not get that solved. And will only turn this thread into another waste of bandwidth.

Everybody else: PLEASE SUPPORT AND HELP WITH THIS EFFORT. Open source is about all of us helping to make it better. If you see anything in the code that you think needs changed by all means say so. If you know of anything that would help (like information on the ty streams), please provide it. Information is to be shared, not horded.

I myself will try by best to provide any resources to assist this. I will admit, even though I understand Unix quite well, I do not know mpeg very much. I am quite willing to learn, but unfortunately mpeg standards cost money to download! (Please check the prices on iso.org if you doubt this).

We can all be a part of this. We can all contribute. If all you do is test the software that is fine. But please help. Please contribute. And please lets try to get along :)

olaf_sc
11-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Hi Torg

You are right, hence why I said "one and only". I have no interest of flaming just takes a lot of time that I rather spend sharing info and coding.

I however think that I'm allowed to speak up at least once in my lifetime about things that I think is wrong.

I must also thank you for your support!! (not of the flame but the program it self.

In regards to the program and development of it, I will setup a CVS access to it so everyone that wants to code and are somewhat of a developer can contribute in a simple and effective way.

I'm very pragmatic in this way so dig up your code skills and we will all work together to make this prog as good as it can get.

Cheers Olof

Please, let us not turn this into a flame fest.
Everybody else: PLEASE SUPPORT AND HELP WITH THIS EFFORT. Open source is about all of us helping to make it better. If you see anything in the code that you think needs changed by all means say so. If you know of anything that would help (like information on the ty streams), please provide it. Information is to be shared, not horded.

I myself will try by best to provide any resources to assist this. I will admit, even though I understand Unix quite well, I do not know mpeg very much. I am quite willing to learn, but unfortunately mpeg standards cost money to download! (Please check the prices on iso.org if you doubt this).

We can all be a part of this. We can all contribute. If all you do is test the software that is fine. But please help. Please contribute. And please lets try to get along :)

In regards to MPEG specs I will post the drafts - NOTE this is not the same as the real specs but it's better than nothing.

Cheers Olaf

Attached MPEG-2 part 1,2,3,4

skorous
11-07-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by olaf_sc
“Okay let the flame feast begin”, or what was it Linus said in his famous one and only flame mail?

Jdiner, no one is doubt that your program is really great, however that doesn’t mean that you need to bash on my program. There is a subtle difference between saying “there is a ton of wrong assumptions” and “there is code that is making wrong assumptions about the tystream”

Negative marketing of my program to promote your isn’t exactly nice, however you are right about the fact that it’s just the start. I don’t have any other illusions.

Now over to the collaboration here at the deal database, trust me I have more or less read every post you made the last year along with a lot of other posts in regards to demuxing, remixing etc. You state that you have given all the information needed “just a plain search” as you say. This statement is utterly a plain bullshit.

You have most of the time got a bug report and then replied to the forum with a “got it fixed it” without giving more or less a single comment what was the real problem and how you did to come around it.
To make it a bit more balanced you have a few posts where you explain some of the syntax in the stream, with pointers to vsplit debugging output. However analyzing the debugging out put relives that you actually print bogus information. If this is done on purpose or just because you haven’t removed old “thoughts” in the code I don’t know.
Now reading all the posts of you like it’s more like you almost only relive information when it’s beneficiary for you, a behavior that is very much opposite to collaboration.

Now in regards to opensource you made a statement in this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=38627&highlight=opensource#post38627) back in Mars this year stating that Vsplit is a opensource project, as soon as daily massive rewrites are done.

I don’t know what you though back then but to tell you the truth I very much doubt that you ever will release the code. Just the plain fact that I offered to write the DVD creation code in exchange that you would open up the source tells me that.

What makes this even more upsetting is that a lot of people pitched in back then helping you with bug reports and money to buy hardware, presumably assuming that you would open the source in a month or so.

Now in order to bash a bit more you have actually violated the GPL license already (correct me if I’m wrong). In your tserver_mfs application that is a part of TyTool you use the GPLed code from mfs_streams, however you have not released (sent me) the source code as I requested in a private email to you over a week ago.

(See this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=49394&highlight=tytool#post49394) where you state that you use mfs_stream code )

Now over to the fact that you bash my code/comments, well it’s easy for you to do that since your code is closed. There is no way I can look at your code and bash back. Further more glancing at other code describing SA Tivo extraction telles me that my code is a whole lot easier to read (well documented).

Why did I write this program in the first place? Simple you didn’t go opensource, which basically makes your app not maintainable in the long run. Further more no one will benefit from you closing up all the info e.g. it would be really nice to write an mplayer plugin so we could play a tystream directly from e.g. a DVD/CD/HD without even converting it. NOTE: What I mean with benefit is not the usage of the app but the information sharing of the tystream structure.

-- Olaf

Olaf,

I honestly don't think that JD was intentionally bashing you. It may have been a bit blunt but I don't think there was any malice. Let's be honest for a moment, _many_ of us (geek types) are blunt. I don't say all but it's a large percentage. It comes with the territory the same way most of us are control freaks and have pretty hefty opinions of ourselves. He didn't say that your coding style was s#*t or anything just that you made some wrong assumptions (or a lot of them as the case may be). This (to me) is kind of similar to people who get all upset when they get called ignorant or naive. There's nothing wrong with either per se but people take offense.

I do not see "negatively marketing" of your code. What does he have to gain? Some people have made donations to him for past work put in but he's not actively "selling" anything. If he wanted to negatively market your code he wouldn't mention anything at all. He'd let you spin your wheels trying to find every little peculiarity of the stream that your code fails on while polishing up his own. To me, it just doesn't make sense.

As for the mfs_stream, I believe that he also says that he's done

skorous
11-07-2002, 07:30 PM
a complete re-write of that whole subsection and that he contains no code from the GPL. We've had this discussion a half dozen times on this board.

EDIT: Found this link, new it was in there somewhere.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16217&perpage=15&pagenumber=6

To continue with my opinion I think that you have handled this very poorly. Perhaps it's cultural difference or something I don't know. However, you could easily have asked for clarification rather than immediately respond with an attack of your own under the assumption that perhaps he didn't mean it as badly as you took it.

Also, for what it's worth. I've been dealing with JD for the better part of six months. Though I don't have anywhere near a conclusive personality profile I'd have to say that his worst flaw is being a perfectionist. The guy has given workable code that _LOTS_ of people have donated to but many more would have easily paid for away to the community for nothing more than kind words. You don't have nearly the established base that he does. You might want to consider that before you fly off-hand again.

As always, just my $.02. Do with it as you will.

Skorous

Torg
11-07-2002, 07:42 PM
skorus: I would like to belive you, so I will.

jdiner: I belive you wrote the post in haste. We all do it, I am no expection. But I also believe you have a geniune desire to help. Please provice any information you have on the ty streams (or care to give).

olaf: I belive you too write your response in haste. It was why I replied to your post in the first place.

Can we stop this now? Can we start back on coding and providing information please?

If anyone needs help in debugging code I will be more then happy to help. Just dont strip the binaries :)

If anyone wants to know how to debug Unix code, ask. Lets try a seperate thread however. This one should be about program development.

If anyone wants to know how to code in C/C++ I will provice these links:

http://www.swcp.com/~dodrill/controlled/cdoc/ctutor.html
http://people.montana.com/~bowman/Software/winAPI.htm
http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/bwk-tutor.html

All of these will help those who already know how to program in a differnt language. IF you want to learn how to program from scratch I'm afraid it will take some time before you learn. But download olaf's program and see what you can tell from the source code from just reading it.

jdiner
11-07-2002, 08:15 PM
Ok. I am going to answer this one and then I am done. This is not designed to be a flame, only an explanation.

Jdiner, no one is doubt that your program is really great, however that doesn’t mean that you need to bash on my program.

Negative marketing of my program to promote your isn’t exactly nice, however you are right about the fact that it’s just the start.

By my comment: "buckle up and get ready for a fun ride." I meant it as light hearted encouragement. Nothing more. I do this for one reason. Fun. If you have read many of my posts I have stated over and over again. That I while this is fun I will keep working on it. When it stops being fun I am gone. Not sure how it got a negative spin. But all I meant is that there is cool stuff to be done, so enjoy doing it.

As for negative marketing? I didn't mean any. Perhaps I was in too much of a hurry. Perhaps my choice of wording was bad. I dunno. I did mean what I said. In your code you assume things that are not true. You ignore values that you have to use. I don't see how that will steal from your user base.

I also meant every word of the end: "I hope you find things that I missed and that at some point down the road things are better for everyone." Who wouldn't want all of this to be better...

This statement is utterly a plain bullshit.

This is old teritory. I wish I had read this first I would never have even come into the thread. I explain things as I found them I just never posted code. Many people here have found that information truly useful. It makes no sense to you... Whatever, I don't care. Not my job to educate you. If it is useful to you then use it. If not then figure it out on your own just like I did.

Check the release notes in the sticky thread. That is where most detailed explanations took place. There should be roughly 12 of them, 1 for each version. Check the extractstream group archives on groups.yahoo.com lots of stuff there too. Much of it a repeat from here. Check Roger Merchbergers site for the information that I put there it is more detailed than anywhere else.

To make it a bit more balanced...

I don't print misleading stuff? Why would I? There are printf statements in there that are from the very first attempts, there are some from the middle, and so on. Some are usefull only to me because I know what to look for. Some make sense to anyone. And some are truly useless.

Bottom line, I am in no hurry to clean it out. But nothing is purposefully misleading. I even specified that to you in another thread. That you needed to be careful in reading my debug output because it was not always correct. I can be more clear than that how?

Now in regards to opensource you made a statement...

Yep. An opensource project that I own and am in control of. Seems like bottom line you want control. And anything not done to your liking makes me evil. Fine. I lied. No source. Now or ever. I wrote it all. So the owners, me, voted and we changed the liscence. Closed source forever. Happy now? You talked me into it, so you were right!

I don’t know what you though back then but to tell you the truth I very much doubt that you ever will release the code. Just the plain fact that I offered to write the DVD creation code...

You did indeed. When I mailed you, at your request I might add, rather than posting here to get started the first thing you did was demand that I change the way I do things. I told you in email and I will tell you again here. I don't like demands. And you have no right whatsoever to tell me what to do. In todays lesson we learn that I don't work for you...

I never got that email from you. The source code and all changes to the mfs_stream code has been posted here. You wil find it in gosquads web interface and in work from others (juppers I think...). Search for it and you will find it. It might have been aged out, I have not looked. So I can't say one way or another. But I don't age these things out. I am not a moderator. I am not in charge here.

I never once told people they could contribute and if so I would make it open source. That is your take on what I said and what they did. I told people that it was being a royal pain to do what I was doing, for a Tivo I did not even have, without the ability to make my own streams. So some kind people who wanted to see this done kicked in.

You want to take everything I say the wrong way. Fine.

--jdiner

embeem
11-07-2002, 09:53 PM
jdiner: Why are you bothering telling him his assumptions are wrong if you're not going to help fix them? Seems rather obnoxious to me.

Don't get me wrong. I hope you find things that I missed and that at some point down the road things are better for everyone. You are just pretty much at the very start...

... which no doubt will be incorporated into the next tystream release :P

olaf_sc: Nice job; incase you haven't noticed there's some good documentation on http://alt.org/forum/

skorous
11-07-2002, 10:12 PM
embeem,

I don't see it as obnoxious. I'm sure that at some point you've spent significant amount of time on a problem only to find that at the end something you assumed was true wasn't. JD basically gave him a headsup that he needs to do some research on his constants. It'd be obnoxious if he just gave him streams that didn't work on his program and didn't explain why.

Also, JD hadn't (until this outburst) said that he wouldn't help with some of the errors only that he wouldn't write a thesis paper defining what he new of the stream code for olaf's benefit since much/all of the information he needs is available with some research. Even when he was a bit peeved with him he still pointed him to Merch's page, etc... If my memory serves, Olaf has asked JD more specific questions in the past on a couple of occassions and JD gave specific answers.

Finally, after reading JD's response I think there might be some behind the scenes actions that played part here.

Skorous

P.s.

I too occassionally suffer from being misunderstood so in case this is one of those instances I will state that I'm not dissin' you. ;) You've been around for a while and have my respect.

bronco13
11-07-2002, 10:29 PM
I only make Negative comments, and start trouble, pay no attention to what I say. I dont know why I even bother to post,.

olaf_sc
11-07-2002, 10:33 PM
Okay, after all bashing and flaming etc. it's time to go a head and release some code :).

Allan in the UK sent me a firts patch making tydemux compile under MinGW THANKS Allan.

Now if there is any windows users out there that could test the port it would be even better. Really need to get my laptop going so I at least can do some porting/testing.

I have included a zip with allans binary and his patch. I will include the patch in the next release if I get some positive feedback. It's a non intrusive anyway so it's no harm done including it.

Cheers Olaf

PS: Working on the error with the AC3 audio reported earlier.

olaf_sc
11-07-2002, 11:24 PM
Coredump error fixe - god bless valgrind gave me the excact error location. Made a free of a null pointer :(, (made a if check and the put the free out side of it).

Included in this intermit release is also the windows port - although not win32 binaries. Anyone how has a windows box with MinGW (http://www.mingw.org/) installed are very welcommed to compile and upload the binary.

Cheers Olaf

jdiner
11-08-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by embeem
jdiner: Why are you bothering telling him his assumptions are wrong if you're not going to help fix them? Seems rather obnoxious to me.

It was supposed to be a heads up and nothing more. A "go back over it" message. And why not spill it all? I am in the middle of working on my own stuff and it takes every spare moment I have.

Besides it seemed more rude to try to make a big list. Kind of a neener-neener thing.

--jdiner

Glitched
11-08-2002, 02:21 AM
Cant we all just get along?

olaf_sc
11-08-2002, 03:18 AM
Yes, I'm not upset or anything like that. We are all entitled to our own thoughts, likes and disslikes. It's my roule to only reply once when I get upset - after that I drop the subject.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by Glitched
Cant we all just get along?

tweaky
11-08-2002, 08:43 AM
I think everyone got ahead of themselves here. What Torg and Olaf_sc missed was jdiner's last line:
"Don't get me wrong. I hope you find things that I missed and that at some point down the road things are better for everyone."

Jdiner has always been willing to help people out and has always stated that he will open his source (maybe not anymore because of this thread). I have read every single thread from start to end, some of them twice, and know that jdiner does this because he wanted to be able to archive HIS shows to DVD. He has always stated that. The rest of us are just lucky he is giving HIS program to us to use.

If you read all the threads that jdiner has started/been involved in, you would easily have seen that he is not poking fun or "trashing" your program, but simply pointing out that he has already been there and figured it out (or at least he thinks he has). Hopefully jdiner will still release his code and then you will be able to see why he said what he said.

AlphaWolf
11-08-2002, 10:18 AM
You know, I had to figure bronco13 and wolklowh couldn't resist. Listen you two, this is just a separate project taking a separate approach at the same goal, can't we just leave it at that? Nobody is demanding shit here, in case you haven't noticed, this isn't a "lets make jdiner release the source" project like you make it out/want it to be, this is a true attempt at practicing what you preach. I have no idea where your getting stealing from in this thread.

bronco13
11-08-2002, 10:22 AM
Olaf,

I tried the tydemux under Windows XP and I get an error. Here are the error reporting details:

AppName: tydemux.exe
AppVer: 0.0.0.0
ModName: tydemux.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 00005a2a

Thanks

Dibblah
11-08-2002, 12:00 PM
Here's the binary compiled for Win32 with MingW32.

I still get a crash with a UK SA stream - Where can I dump a sample?

------------
Starting program: c:\dev\tydemux\tydemux.exe -i "Look Around You-Sulphur.ty" -a 1.mpv -v 1.mpa

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00402a8f in get_last_audio_pes () at audio_pes.c:232
232 while (tmp_audio_pes->next) {
--------------

Enjoy,

Cheers,

Allan.

NutMonkey
11-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Besides it seemed more rude to try to make a big list. Kind of a neener-neener thing.

I think your getting Olaf confused with Microsoft. This is a GPL project. Large lists of bugs are encouraged and a source of pride (check out bugzilla). I would hope that if you ever release your source code, and someone who knows more than you (it could happen!) points out flaws in your code, you would be grateful rather than upset..

olaf_sc
11-08-2002, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the bug report,

I will get my laptop up and running later today or tomorrow. I will start porting then and see why.

Update: Currently I'm dealing with SVCD 48khz -> 44.1 KHz on the fly transcoding.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by bronco13
Olaf,

I tried the tydemux under Windows XP and I get an error. Here are the error reporting details:

AppName: tydemux.exe
AppVer: 0.0.0.0
ModName: tydemux.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 00005a2a

Thanks

olaf_sc
11-08-2002, 02:59 PM
Okay tested the windows binaries (get the compiler and installed the things at work).

Anyway the windowns version doesn't work at all! So please don't use it until I have figured out what is going wrong.

This was a very initial windows release and I'm very thankful to Allan for it but there is some issues to iron out.

It's how the windows version is reading it's records they are shifted in some way - will try to fix this in the evening.

Cheers Olaf

Blademan007
11-08-2002, 03:53 PM
Excuse my stupidity, but I recall you mentioning some program to use to pull the ty stream off the DTivo. Could you please repost the recommended proggie to pull off streams off a DTivo and onto a Linux box. Also any other *nix program necessary for this fun.

I am currently building an optimized <a href="http://www.gentoo.org">Gentoo</a> linux box specifically for this purpose.

Also could you have some revision number/name for your program, so we know which is the latest and greatest.

olaf_sc
11-08-2002, 04:35 PM
No problem :) not stupid in any sense.

I would use the NowShowing from TyTool it's a tcl script - this will give you the "fsid" that you will need for the program that you are about to extract.

To send the files to your Linux box, I'm using mfs_export from PlayitSam. It's a client server app so don't need any netcat. It will directly save the TyStream on your Linux box.

To demux/remux the tystream you can either choose tydemux (only demuxing) or the latest vsplit from jdiner (both demux and remux although the remux code is new and my not be as stable as the demux please see jdiners thread).

I'm naturally very glad if you use my program need to get it debugged, error reports and so on.

Yes, will keep version numbers :), just didn't care to update the version number for the small fixes I made in the past day. But you are probably right better to have minor and major numbers.

In regards to the Windows version I'm a bit closer to get it working found a " bug" or more precisly a odd thing that normally wouldn't make a difference. Will post more about it later.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by Blademan007
Excuse my stupidity, but I recall you mentioning some program to use to pull the ty stream off the DTivo. Could you please repost the recommended proggie to pull off streams off a DTivo and onto a Linux box. Also any other *nix program necessary for this fun.

I am currently building an optimized <a href="http://www.gentoo.org">Gentoo</a> linux box specifically for this purpose.

Also could you have some revision number/name for your program, so we know which is the latest and greatest.

Dibblah
11-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Oh bugger :-)

OK, I knew it was too easy...

I don't have a linux box to try and compare :-(

I'll have a look shortly.

Cheers,

Allan.

olaf_sc
11-11-2002, 04:09 AM
Hello Rc

I have made a "macro" so I don't screw up the version it's reporting. I will also in the future call the zip like this tydemux-x.x.x.zip. Thanks for your 0.02, I'm not used to post source and programs in a forum like this usually I have in CVS just :).

The Windows port is a native VC++ 6.x port and not mingw I even don't know if it will compile under mingw anymore but it for sure compiles just fine under VC++ (thanks for the mpeg code tip any links?).

I can post the VC++ project files if you want just didn't want to clutter up the zip file.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by rc3105
olaf_sc:

ok, there are WAY too many different versions of the sw/source posted

differing filenames for the posted zip files would be good, also perhaps the zip attached to the first post in the thread should allways contain the latest revision

just my 0.02...

--

I currently have version 0.2.1 with the windows binary (that reports itself as ver 0.1) - is there a newer version?

is the windows source code currently only for the mingw compiler?

is there visual c++ source on the horizon or is that allready posted here somewhere?

(not that I'm particularly fond of visual c++, there's just allready some killer mpeg code out there that's in vc++)

--
Riley

olaf_sc
11-11-2002, 04:59 AM
Will include the project files in my next release - zip with in the zip as you suggested.

Thanks for the links - to unix centric I guess to even think of them even if I had seen them before.

Cheers Olaf

www.doom9.org

serveral projects at sourceforge (virtualdub comes to mind)

www.mpeg-mediator.com (easy to use mpeg to avi util that supports flask-style plugins for output or frameserving & has a better mpeg decoder than dvd2avi)

the avs forums hdtv section has some utils & links to interesting utilities (transport stream to mpeg & mpeg to transport steam converters)

please do include the vc++ code in the zip file, perhaps a zip file within the zip file to compartmentalize visual project files

--
Riley

FredThompson
11-12-2002, 09:21 AM
Olaf,

Check out the links list from my sig and you'll find a lot of helpful stuff. I've been on the road for almost four weeks and can certainly help with any research you need when I finally get home later this week. The links lists will probably be updated in the next couple of weeks.

olaf_sc
11-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Thanks!! Fred,

I really need it - there is still :) a lot of things to do with the code. Especially in the area dealing with reparing TyStreams when they are a lot of big holes in the stream. I have some initial (not yet released code) that is dealing with reparing TyStreams that are in bad shape.

I got one TyStream that is totally horrible in this regard from a friendly supporter, but I need more of them (both good and bad). I have yet not got a single UK or SA stream which I badly need in order to support those systems.

(To anyone reading this thread - please use my ftp server to upload streams - the IP is 66.121.15.34 use ftp/email as login and cd to the upload dir)

The internal transcoding I have worked on is also shaping up and I can at the moment transcode from/to 48kHz AC3 - 44.1 kHz AC3 both in 2 and 5.1 channel mode. However the sound quality is not yet optimal so I need to work on it a bit more.

The audio packet size "error" is also fixed but I'm quite sure I will see more of them as I discover new audio framesizes.

Hopefully I will have a new release out by the end of the week featuring TyStream repair and internal audio transcoding.

Let us all hope that you will safely arrival of home this weekend and then lets see what we can achive togher as a group all of us here at the dealdatabase.

Cheers Olaf

PS: Thanks for the links there was some really useful once there.

Olaf,

Check out the links list from my sig and you'll find a lot of helpful stuff. I've been on the road for almost four weeks and can certainly help with any research you need when I finally get home later this week. The links lists will probably be updated in the next couple of weeks.

FreydNot
11-13-2002, 02:40 AM
(To anyone reading this thread - please use my ftp server to upload streams - the IP is 66.121.15.34 use ftp/email as login and cd to the upload dir)

I have some SA ty files to upload, but the ftp server wasn't answering. Is it down?

olaf_sc
11-13-2002, 03:09 AM
Thanks FreydNot

Yes, it was kind of down it did't answer but it's fixed now - please go a head and upload files.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by FreydNot
I have some SA ty files to upload, but the ftp server wasn't answering. Is it down?

FreydNot
11-13-2002, 03:51 AM
I'm uploading them now. 2c.ty is the most tricky of the bunch. It has a hole somewhere in the middle. Pretty much everything I've used to convert audio to 48k looses sync after the hole.

Would you consider adding 32k to 48k conversion in-line? That would be great for getting SA streams into a DVD compliant format. All SA's record at 32k only.

olaf_sc
11-13-2002, 05:40 AM
Hello FredyNot,

Thanks for uploading - the worse the stream is the better it's for me since it makes it more difficult.

I am as said working with a repair function of the exported mpeg.

The internal audio transcoding (both 48kHz and 44.1kHz) is allready working but in alpha stage and only AC3 at the moment. Simply put I'm not to happy with the quality of the sound, so until I get good sound it will be ifdef out of the code.

Cheers Olaf

PS: Are SA audio always 32kHz aren't there any variations due to settings (with either the GUI or tivo web).

Ahh, can see your files growing on my hard drive :)

I'm uploading them now. 2c.ty is the most tricky of the bunch. It has a hole somewhere in the middle. Pretty much everything I've used to convert audio to 48k looses sync after the hole.

Would you consider adding 32k to 48k conversion in-line? That would be great for getting SA streams into a DVD compliant format. All SA's record at 32k only.

skorous
11-13-2002, 10:03 AM
Olaf,

SA Tivo's always record at 32kzh 192bit. The quality and resolution can be altered with TivoWeb, etc.. but the audio is, to my understanding, a hardware limitation.

Skorous

olaf_sc
11-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Thanks skorous,

At least something that is constant :).

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by skorous
Olaf,

SA Tivo's always record at 32kzh 192bit. The quality and resolution can be altered with TivoWeb, etc.. but the audio is, to my understanding, a hardware limitation.

Skorous

psxjunky
11-13-2002, 04:19 PM
olaf: I have a series1 SA TiVO (Philips) and I would very much like to help you by submitting a couple of streams ... but unfortunately I currently only have a dial-up access.

I am planning on getting broadband soon and will be more than happy to upload streams then. If you don't get SA streams from anyone soon, let me know and I'll try to upload a small stream immediately. What is the smallest size stream you can use ?

olaf_sc
11-13-2002, 10:53 PM
Thanks psxjunky

You can upload some small TyStreams i.e. no smaller than 5MB - but please don't go to the extreme helping - I can wait until you get your broadband connection, but the offer is very kind and if you have the ability please go a head.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by psxjunky
olaf: I have a series1 SA TiVO (Philips) and I would very much like to help you by submitting a couple of streams ... but unfortunately I currently only have a dial-up access.

I am planning on getting broadband soon and will be more than happy to upload streams then. If you don't get SA streams from anyone soon, let me know and I'll try to upload a small stream immediately. What is the smallest size stream you can use ?

FreydNot
11-16-2002, 07:28 PM
What more do you need samples of? I have 7 more clips like the 2a, 2b, and 2c ones I already uploaded. I also have some long stuff from before the 3.0 SA software update and a tivo full of clips. Any special requests?

Also, how much space is free on the ftp server? I was worried that I would fill it up too quick uploading 100MB files :)

And it might be cool if we could create directories in upload to catagorize the files (but that is up to you)

Jellybean
11-16-2002, 10:08 PM
Hi,

If you still need help porting to win32 I can help out. I can wait till next release, or now if your trying to fix bugs as apposed to porting to win32.

Thanks.

olaf_sc
11-16-2002, 10:13 PM
Hello FreydNot,

I think you got most of the info you need in my email but I thought it whould be a good thing for the rest of you out there to know what I need also.

In regards to disk space I have around 18GB of free disk that I can use for samples so I think we will not run out of space and if we do I can just add some disk to my SCSI array.

Anyways here is the notes I sent to FreydNot in regards to SA samples:

To you all out there I need both SA, UK and DTivo samples - there is differences between machines so I need to know how to counter act them.

1: Differnet setting - low, medium, high quality -
plus custom setting with help of the tivoweb
interface.

2: VBR on and off for the above mentioned setting

3: Size over 512 MB i.e either 550MB or 1100MB and so on. Tivo often has funny things going on each 4096 chunk (512MB).

4: It would be nice if you are doing recodings that
starts in one program and end in an other e.g it is
staring in the middle of Startrex and end in the
middle of Buffy. (NOTE: especialy intersting if you have a DTivo).

5: One really gigantic recording - the interesting
part here is the start and end hence you can use my sample tool or DD to copy the intersting parts.

What is interesting here is to see how TIVO is
handling PTS resets.

Lastly I must really thank you for your support. It's
really makes it so much easier for me to support SA Tivo. Although I actually orderd a SA Tivo just to be able to support SA Tivo (not yet arrived) this makes my delopment so much easier. It takes time to prepare and deal with example streams.

Cheers Olaf

What more do you need samples of? I have 7 more clips like the 2a, 2b, and 2c ones I already uploaded. I also have some long stuff from before the 3.0 SA software update and a tivo full of clips. Any special requests?

Also, how much space is free on the ftp server? I was worried that I would fill it up too quick uploading 100MB files :)

And it might be cool if we could create directories in upload to catagorize the files (but that is up to you)

olaf_sc
11-16-2002, 10:42 PM
Hi again,

Here is some more notes in regards to samples files,

I need examples of all software revs of Tivo from 1.x upto the latest 3.x all versions SA, UK, DTivo.

If you have managed to extract Tivo Series 2 video please then I'm very interested to get a sample stream.

I have made different upload dirs on my ftp server, where you all can put your files depending on model and software rev.

We now have six top level dir.

upload == put files you really don't know what it is here.

DTIVO == DTivo samples

SA_1.x == SA rev 1.3.x samples
SA_2.x == SA rev 2.x samples
SA_3.x == SA rev 3.x samples

S2 == Tivo Series 2

UK == UK Tivo

Hope this helps us to keep files and samples apart

Cheers and thanks for all help you give me / Olaf

olaf_sc
11-16-2002, 10:51 PM
Hi

As RC said it's actually ported to VC++ and is working as good there as it does under Linux.

Now the new release will focus on new features and a total rewrite of the demuxing engine.

Mainly beacuse the first version is not all that beautiful but more a desciption of how it can be done - i.e. how the tystream is composed.

The new engine is more generic and will handle both SA/DTIVO without changes or special cases.

The new version will come in both a Windows and a Linux version at the same time.

Cheers Olaf

PS: It will most probably be release either this Sunday or if I don't make it by then it will be sometime in the middle of next week.

Originally posted by Jellybean
Hi,

If you still need help porting to win32 I can help out. I can wait till next release, or now if your trying to fix bugs as apposed to porting to win32.

Thanks.

Jellybean
11-16-2002, 11:12 PM
Hi

As RC said it's actually ported to VC++ and is working as good there as it does under Linux.

<snip>

Cheers Olaf

PS: It will most probably be release either this Sunday or if I don't make it by then it will be sometime in the middle of next week.

I'll wait till the next release till I start messing with it then.

Thanks,.

TRILIGHT
11-17-2002, 12:23 AM
I've read most of this thread but I'm still not sure exactly. Is there something different about this when compared to TyTool5 ? I have TyTool loaded and it seems to extract to video and audio just fine. I haven't noticed any sync problems either. Is there something about this demux that I'm missing? Thanks!

TRILIGHT
11-17-2002, 02:31 AM
Wow! Sounds cool! Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. If I had one complaint so far about TyTools5, it's that the process seems slower than what I expected given the 100Mb network connection. I would assume that most of the time is taken up with the vsplit though. vsplit has always been rather slow.

So is there any plans to have a PC interface to the TyDemux? As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm just now getting up to speed on a lot of Linux stuff. No expert but going by leaps and bounds considering my only real experience with it has been since just a day ago or so! :)

If there is no PC interface, I would imagine that surely there is a way to pipe the output to a network share or something, right? I would think that demuxing this stuff to the same TiVo drive would take up soace needlessly until you could pull it off. This could be a problem with the drive full. Is there a webpage for the project? I've not downloaded the file yet. Perhaps a detailed readme is available? Thanks again for taking the time to explain what this was!

Regarding what you said about "tivoweb mfsstream"... What is this? Currently, I'm running tivoweb1.9.4beta4 (the fixed version JohnBoy posted) and it's a bit flakey. Perhaps this is in an option that I don't seem to be able to get loaded up right yet? (See my post HERE. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18006&pagenumber=4) )

olaf_sc
11-17-2002, 02:51 AM
Hello TRILIGHT,

Originally posted by TRILIGHT

So is there any plans to have a PC interface to the TyDemux? As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm just now getting up to speed on a lot of Linux stuff. No expert but going by leaps and bounds considering my only real experience with it has been since just a day ago or so! :)

There already is a Windows port of tydemux - just download the latest one - it's in the 0.2.1 thread I think. I'm working on version 0.3 now which will hopefully be out in the week that comes (or if I presss it on sunday - less likely).

Cheers Olaf

FredThompson
11-27-2002, 11:27 AM
Before the "N" word gives somebody an excuse to go ballistic, keep in mind there are a LOT of legitimate uses for remote retrieval of extracted video.

Personal example: I just got back from a 4 week business trip. Would have been nice to pull video from my unit. The only English-speaking channel we had was CNN.

Another example: Some people have more than 1 house.

I'm sure there are others.

Fugg
11-27-2002, 12:50 PM
edit:
Sorry, this was just paranoid ramblings on a subject that I have, and rightly so, no control over.

FredThompson
11-27-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Fugg
I completely agree! But, if you could convince dtv & sony of that, I'd feel alot better.

If we're fortunate, the bill which explicitly restores copy-protection circumvention and adds format conversion for fair use by consumers will be added to the DMCA and we can all breathe a colletive sigh of relief.

rd001
11-27-2002, 01:22 PM

could your nose GET any further up jdiner's large intestine?? Not unless I move to Utah. Nice state though. The young people are actually polite.

dlang
11-27-2002, 01:38 PM
in the last six months while jdiner has thought that his stuff was 95% done it has had MAJOR changes due to new understandings of how the dtivo streams work (the fact that they are variable frame rate, not just variable bit rate). given that drastic a change in understandign it's not surpriseing that things aren't finished.

on the other hand this project has teh advantage of now knowing that (and the ability for more programmers to work on it) so it shouled be able to catch up with jdiner fairly quickly. it remains to be seen how well the people working on it _really_ understand mpeg and the dtivo streams to see if they will be able to pass him and find/fix additional issues first to take the lead.

cwingert
11-27-2002, 06:42 PM
I agree with rc3105's feelings. Having watch the development of vsplit for the past year. While I concur, jdiner has done a great job. He has used the resources of the community to get to where he is today (source code and alpha/beta testers). I've seen promises over and over to release the source code and I think people have participated in the development because of such. He always says he needs to clean it up a bit more and he will release the source.

I am sure there are quite a few people (including myself) that want to take the vsplit source and make their own project out it and have participated because of such.

People are right it is completely his perogative to release or not release the source. However the logic makes no sense to me. The community can do more and help more to achieve a final goal than a single person can. Its just the infinite monkeys principle....

I have a theory as to why he is keeping the source to himself and if its true he never will release the source.

That being said, it would be nice to know on what date jdiner plans to release his source. If he has none in mind, I would like to see the community support the GPL version. This is what I will do.

As an aside, the comments he made after viewing Olaf's source were very irritating to me. Instead of the community spirit (in which he used for his development.) It seemed to be a rub.

Again, jdiner, keep up the good work.

And Olaf, if you need any help, let me know how I can help.

FredThompson
11-27-2002, 09:38 PM
since we don't have access to the encoding hardware the only way to map out ALL the variables is trial & error and LOTS of test streams.

Not that I'd want to do it but has anyone seriously considered buying one of the dedicated decoder chips and SDK for it? Wonder what goodies might be inside. Hmm...wonder if there's an NDA...

FredThompson
11-27-2002, 09:44 PM
Before the "N" word gives somebody an excuse to go ballistic, keep in mind there are a LOT of legitimate uses for remote retrieval of extracted video.

Personal example: I just got back from a 4 week business trip. Would have been nice to pull video from my unit. The only English-speaking channel we had was CNN.

Another example: Some people have more than 1 house.

I'm sure there are others.

Better yet (because it's applicable to a larger number of people):

My DTivo is on the ground floor at one end of the house, my office is upstairs on the other. How could I possibly be infringing by streaming across an ethernet cable to a computer while I work in the office?

How about moving stuff from one TiVo to another in a different part of the house?

(These scenarios certainly don't violate the "inside the same house" aspect. It might be hard to persuasively argue in court that the "only watch on this particular hardware" part of the agreement is NOT unreasonable.)

Maybe the best "argument" IS being able to watch the recordings within the same house but not on that particular hardware...

rd001
11-28-2002, 09:28 AM
as long as this project is open & jdiner's isn't, barring an extended vacation it'll be impossibe to "get ahead". interesting's not quite the word...Given the claims generally made by the open source community for open source team development and the fact that jdiner is working alone (not to mention all your own past comments), I'm very surprised you'd say this.

If Olaf makes key breakthroughs first, everyone will know it. If jdiner makes the breakthroughs first (and he's made a lot already having been at it for about a year plus his previous SA Tivo work), then everyone will know that too.

The truth is that the vast majority of DTivo users just want the tools. The politics of programming isn't very important.

There is no need for anyone to downplay Olaf's work and prospects because he's only at the beginning of his effort. We should wish him well and try his software.

Nor is there any need for anyone to take these constant little jabs at and aim innuendo and might-have-beens at jdiner after the tens of thousands of DVD-R's we've all burned with his software, all due to his own hard work. I followed all those vsplit threads. jdiner slogged through analysis, coding and primary testing alone. The most substantive help he had was from testers who helped find and upload bad streams for analysis. Despite all the current wailing over source code, not once did anyone ever say to jdiner "well, I'll help you test only if you release your source code". Everyone just wanted it to work. And it does work pretty well.

We should all hope for and then enjoy the success of both projects, each in their own time.
[edited out some inflammatory comments]

Jellybean
11-28-2002, 12:08 PM
Hi,

Is the code being released in this thread or another? As I've not seen a recent release or the windows release that builds with MS Visual C++.

Thanks.

olaf_sc
11-28-2002, 01:00 PM
Hello Folks,

Can we please turn this political/legal discussion off. This thread is not about politics/legal stuff it's about a tydemux/remux. Hence if you want to have a thread about the political issues or the leagal issues involved please create a new thread.

Thanks Olaf

olaf_sc
11-28-2002, 01:01 PM
The last release is fully VC++ compatible.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by Jellybean
Hi,

Is the code being released in this thread or another? As I've not seen a recent release or the windows release that builds with MS Visual C++.

Thanks.

rd001
11-28-2002, 02:27 PM
re-read my replies to trilight: "the best transfer rate you'll see is about 2 meg per second. " is perfectly true. you won't generally see that, but the point I was making was that the bottleneck wasn't in the splitting routines it was in the network hardware.Well, that's what I thought too. I thought you implied that 2 megs is a practical rate we should routinely expect. But I recall people that got close. Maybe we should run a poll thread to see what people report with various OS/hardware configurations. Might be helpful to a few people.

edited to reduce off-topic remarks

rd001
11-28-2002, 03:31 PM
Riley: "bandwidth is the biggest bottleneck but not really a problem."

Interesting to get so much out of such painfully limited hardware but Linux really shines at this stuff.

Post a thread sometime on your progress or start a new forum board here for it. I think a lot of people would like on-Tivo P2P so they can catch up on missed episodes of favorite series. When you think about it, the networks and cable content producers should actually be happy that someone would create a system that would allow their missed commercials to be rebroadcast to viewers who missed them.

Of course, if you combined the P2P with on-Tivo commercial cutting software, they might develop a real pissy attitude. :)

With DTivo muxing just around the corner and the fact that Dtivo streams shared via Kazaa & etc. will be tracable to Josh's and Olaf's programs, has anyone given any thought to possible legal problems? It seems to me we're entering some uncharted territory, even without the use of on-Tivo P2P. It's one thing to burn our streams for private use. But what happens when we can offer decommercialized demuxed DTivo streams (South Park, SG1, Babylon 5, etc.) via any file sharing service and the MPEGs are ultimately tracable right back to this board and to our two main developers? Is it considered an unauthorized rebroadcast? Untested waters, I guess. I assume that ReplayTV is the one in the crosshairs of Hollywood's legal eagles right now so we're unlikely to draw their attention very soon. We're actually better off that the Microsoft vs. Hollywood battle is drawing all the fire. It makes us safer legally.
Okay. Back to the topic...

Sunset1
11-29-2002, 05:18 AM
Silly me. I was using my computer to find some free information after i bought my tivo and hacked it (its a type 2).

I had this great idea that i could just find a site and there would have been someone before me that was great with software...
im great with hardware. and ... Poof! it would work my new tivo would send info out the usb port thru a usb to usb cable.

But after reading about 6 pages of fighting in the ranks i realized i hadnt gotten out of the irc chat rooms. There is no doubt that you guys are the ones to solve this riddle so what do you say
can someone tell me if anyone has tried some out of the ordinary aproaches? I envisioned plugging in the tivo by my windows computer. Loading the software that comes with the usb to usb cable it may be able to see the linux drives? Well have a great thanksgiving and im always around.

Sunset1
12-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Yes i found one that would work already but thank you. I got a linksys usb100m its very small usb-wired-rj45jack I hope that explains it.

Well im actually out of the race now because after i had married my new 80 gig to my new 60 gig system my 80gig i woke up
friday to click-click the new 80 gig went out. It kinda took the fire outa my project as well as my wife wasnt happy to begin with.

I took it all back and was able to "cancle my lifetime subscrib.

For the time being i got a Pinnacle Bungee It was 99. and does most of the basic tasks i wanted the tivo for it records to my computers hard drive via usb and encodes via hardware custom rates,mpeg2,svcd ect. It is obviously not a tivo but it will do till the next project.

Thanks for your help
sunset1

Chainsaw76
12-02-2002, 03:18 PM
Well I had to do a bunch of searching, so I thought I would save everyone else some trouble, here is the link to Olaf_sc's latest version-0.2.1.

0.2.1 Released (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=70094&highlight=0.2.1#post70094)

Olaf, keep up the great work.

-Jason

olaf_sc
12-05-2002, 07:54 PM
Okay I have opened a new thread please use it :).

Cheers Olaf