PDA

View Full Version : NEWSFLASH! Vid Extraction will NOT make your Toes Curl!!

Fugg
11-17-2002, 09:56 AM
Contrary to popular belief, it won't curve your spine, either!

Nor is it "messy",
or really hard,
or take "a long time",
you don't need to be a coder,

Don't believe the infamous, self appointed Tivo police....

The allies will not loose the war if you get video from your Tivo!!

Really!!

;)

keith721
11-17-2002, 10:04 AM
it won't cause your hair to fall out

it works just fine with an older 10 MBps TivoNet

it doesn't require a 2.0 GHz processor

Linux and Mac users have been known to participate

but seriously, Fugg: it's nice to see a 'first post' that doesn't mention either of the words 'first' or 'post' in it.

Nihilator
11-17-2002, 04:39 PM
Yeah, seriously, it's tons easier than I thought it was going to be.

I installed a TurboNet card in my old Sony SA (with a broken modem, but a 120GB drive and a lifetime sub) about a week ago, along with TiVoWeb, ftpd, and the other suggested linux tools that TiVo's OS doesn't provide. Followed up by installing TyTool5. One piece goes on your TiVo in the /var/hack directory, and another piece goes on your PC.

Using a WinXP box (with a partition in NTFS format), I've extracted and burnt to SVCD three episodes of West Wing, with oh, about nine more in various stages of doneness. It was easy.

Extract video using TyTool5. Use Vsplit option. Takes about half an hour per one-hour episode, but I wasn't really paying that much attention...could be shorter or longer.
Convert .m2a file to .wav using WinAmp (version 2.x, with special plug-in). Haven't seen the need yet to upsample from 32 to 44.1 kHz. Takes less than a minute.
"Convert" .m2v file to .d2v file using DVD2AVI (free). About a minute or two.
Load audio and video streams into TMPGEnc, use cut feature to remove commercials (yee-ha!), and then create .mpg file. (otherwise using TMPGEnc defaults, IIRC). Editing out commercials takes five minutes. The conversion (which can be batched with other conversions) takes about four hours per 1-hour episode, using the settings I use. YMWV. I usually set two or three up at a time and then go watch TiVo.
Create bin/cue images using VCDEasy, which includes options for creating chapters and simple splash screens. Ten minutes to get the settings right.
Burn with Nero. Five minutes.

Previous to this project, I had absolutely no experience with Linux or video editing. Now my TiVo has this whole new functionality! And women swoon over my ability to burn Gilmore Girls to SVCD!

The biggest thanks goes to jdiner for TyTool5...excellent program!

--Chris

wallmartian
11-18-2002, 09:12 PM
Well, it won't really make your teeth whiter.........:D

But it is fun and a big thank you to the mods for making the video forum a reality!!

Now just for fun I downloaded a short clip of CMT with my Laptop which has a wireless Netgear card and the Tivo is cabled to my Belkin Network switch out of which I have a Belkin WAP!! So I'm wireless without a Turbo Airnet card. I must be honest and say that it was terribly slowwwww. But it was just an experiment and it worked fine otherwise. Just some of the fun that can be had.

wm

motionblurrr
12-13-2002, 06:15 AM
I was following your instructions and I'm a little stuck... I extracted the m2v and m2a files with tytool5 using vsplit... I converted the m2a into a wav using winamp (just left the default settings)... I created a d2v file from dvd2avi... I pointed to the d2v file in tmpenc for the video stream and to the wav for the audio... but I'm not so sure what settings you used in tmpgenc? I tried it with pretty much defaults (using DVD/NTSC from wizard) and let it start encoding... I stopped it after a minute or two to see if it was working and I get really choppy video but 'ok' audio. Any ideas? Am I using the wrong tmpgenc settings or wrong winamp diskwriter settings? I appreciate any help.

ghost_rdr
12-16-2002, 04:08 PM
An even easier and faster way to do it is:

open ifoedit
click dvd author
then author new dvd
add .m2v for video and .m2a for audio
then hit okay

then burn the vob files

takes about 20 minutes for a 2.5hour movie

perfect dvd quality.

NO ENCODING!

(I did not figure this out myself. I have gotten this info from this forum from other sources)

snoopy
12-18-2002, 06:03 PM
I assume you started with m2v and m2a from TY Tool 5. Is this correct?

Originally posted by ghost_rdr

open ifoedit
click dvd author
then author new dvd
then hit okay

then burn the vob files

perfect dvd quality.

NO ENCODING!

(I did not figure this out myself. I have gotten this info from this forum from other sources)

ghost_rdr
12-18-2002, 06:19 PM
yes i did.

ghost

:-)

opticalcarrier
12-19-2002, 10:31 AM
i wonder if it would be possible to make it where you can pull up tivoweb on a tivo from anywhere in the internet and schedule a recording, and have a script running on the tivo and windows machine to extract and process and email a divx compressed movie to you......

Im gonna seriously try my hand at this video extraction you guys are talking about now that you make it seem sooooo easy wish me luck

snoopy
12-19-2002, 10:34 AM
gl

keith721
12-19-2002, 03:10 PM
can you do it wirelessly from your Palm Pilot / Pocket PC, sipping coffee in a nice shop, somewhere? ;)

seriously, though -- good luck, and keep us informed on your efforts. what size file does a 30 minute show come out to, in terms of Divx?

Chainsaw76
12-21-2002, 12:16 AM
I just got a DVD+RW/+R drive and tried this this evening with ifoedit .95 (Waiting on acces to the betas), and I didn't get any sound when I played it back on my DVD player, but I did get sound with PowerDVD.

Stand alone Tivo
tytools 5 extratd in split mode.

Nero 5.5.10

Any Ideas? Is it just my DVD Player?

-J

Originally posted by ghost_rdr

open ifoedit
click dvd author
then author new dvd
then hit okay

then burn the vob files

perfect dvd quality.

NO ENCODING!

mpauley
12-21-2002, 12:20 AM
Some players have to have the audio in 48kHz.... the tivo 32kHz would cause an issue...

--mp

AlphaWolf
12-21-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by opticalcarrier
i wonder if it would be possible to make it where you can pull up tivoweb on a tivo from anywhere in the internet and schedule a recording, and have a script running on the tivo and windows machine to extract and process and email a divx compressed movie to you......

If you substitute "windows machine" with "linux machine", then the software to do all of this is already available, you could even do it securely at that. At the most you would just have to write a small bash script with a cron job.

TiVoByte
12-21-2002, 04:11 PM
ghost_rdr

IfoEdit works great.

Big thanks to Jdiner for TyTools, I had played with Xtreme earlier this year, but things weren't so advanced. I went back to stock for many months. Tried Xtreme earlier this week with Kraven's update and TyTools, my life is sooo good.

TyTools with IfoEdit creates DVD's very quickly with perfect quality. Simply fantastic job.

Thanks everyone for such great products!

RS

ghost_rdr
12-26-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Nihilator

I installed a TurboNet card in my old Sony SA (with a broken modem, but a 120GB drive and a lifetime sub) about a week ago, along with TiVoWeb, ftpd, and the other suggested linux tools that TiVo's OS doesn't provide. Followed up by installing TyTool5. One piece goes on your TiVo in the /var/hack directory, and another piece goes on your PC.

Using a WinXP box (with a partition in NTFS format), I've extracted and burnt to SVCD three episodes of West Wing, with oh, about nine more in various stages of doneness. It was easy.

Extract video using TyTool5. Use Vsplit option. Takes about half an hour per one-hour episode, but I wasn't really paying that much attention...could be shorter or longer.
Convert .m2a file to .wav using WinAmp (version 2.x, with special plug-in). Haven't seen the need yet to upsample from 32 to 44.1 kHz. Takes less than a minute.
"Convert" .m2v file to .d2v file using DVD2AVI (free). About a minute or two.
Load audio and video streams into TMPGEnc, use cut feature to remove commercials (yee-ha!), and then create .mpg file. (otherwise using TMPGEnc defaults, IIRC). Editing out commercials takes five minutes. The conversion (which can be batched with other conversions) takes about four hours per 1-hour episode, using the settings I use. YMWV. I usually set two or three up at a time and then go watch TiVo.
Create bin/cue images using VCDEasy, which includes options for creating chapters and simple splash screens. Ten minutes to get the settings right.
Burn with Nero. Five minutes.

Previous to this project, I had absolutely no experience with Linux or video editing. Now my TiVo has this whole new functionality! And women swoon over my ability to burn Gilmore Girls to SVCD!

--Chris

where are you loading the audio and vid files into tmpgenc and also where in tmpenc are you editing them using cut feature...pleaze explain more...thanks...ghost_rdr

TomServo
12-26-2002, 03:40 AM
Where can I find the plugin for WinAmp?

Bob49
12-27-2002, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Nihilator

snip .....

--Chris

Agree with you totally - it is easy and thanks to jdiner for the programs.

I follow the method you outlined with minor changes:

I use TeraTerm to talk to Tivo from my Win2000 box. I used to use the Windows Telnet from the command prompt box but it crashed regularly and caused Tivo to reboot. Since using TeraTerm the crashes/reboots have stopped. One of the Tivo to (S)VCD howtos mentions this point.

In place of WinAmp I use BeSweet - it seems to work well enough.

For TMPGEnc settings I use various HowTos from VCDHelp.com - there's one that deals with fitting 80 - 100 minutes to a VCD which is useful for films. For 30-minute programmes (less adverts = ~24 mins) then three fit on a standard VCD with the default settings.

Bob