PDA

View Full Version : How To Access Your Utv Harddrive

mrblack51
11-17-2002, 01:31 PM
By BlueCop

HOW TO ACCESS YOUR UTV HARDDRIVE

Since the UltimateTV hd has the ATA Security feature enabled, you'll need to unlock it before you attempt to access it.
This is the cable swap method.

Setup your UTV and your PC right next to each other, such that the PCs available IDE drive cable, and power connector can reach the UTV HD.

Connect an available power connector from the PCs power supply to the UTV hd.

Connect the IDE cable from UTV to the the UTV hd.

Power up the PC and hit the "Pause" key before it autotypes the drives.
or
Start up Windows XP(maybe win2k)

Power up the UTV.During the UTV startup, the UTV transmits the password via the ATA Unlock Command, and the drive is unlocked. it will look for program guide but i don't have my sat connected so it won't find it. i put my card in and then pressed my shows. it took me a couple times to actually get into my shows. not sure what the problem was but anyway keep trying till you get there. go to a recorded program and play it. now pause the program.

Now, carefully disconnect the UTV IDE cable from the UTV hd.

Plug the PC IDE cable into the UTV hd.

Unplug your UTV

Hit any key on the PC keyboard to let it continue to boot.
or
if you went ahead and booted into windows xp you can go to device manager(if you don't know where this is you shouldn't be trying this) and click action and scan for new hardware. it should detect the drive without a problem and you will be able to read it. i used the this method myself. but the other method should work as well

Now the drive is unlocked and reconnected to the PC, ready for read(/write?) operations.

AlphaWolf
11-17-2002, 02:01 PM
has anybody tried building some device to spy on what is being sent to the hard drive to unlock it?

mrblack51
11-17-2002, 02:38 PM
i know you can use a logic analyser to see exactly what is going by, and use that to get your individual password. unfortunately, most of us dont have logic analysers sitting around

BlueCop
11-18-2002, 09:57 AM
i know a few things about the password.

1. the SSID is used to generate the password
2. the code on the rom chip generates it

now i think that the drive model and serial are used as well but i am not sure of this

right now i don't have the equipment to dump the rom chip. if someone wants to dump the chip and get me a copy i could look into how it generates the password.

Cidco
12-10-2002, 09:55 AM
Ok guys.
I accessed the drive formated it......
Rebooted the computer and lost access to the drive again...
Is there any way I can flip this security off ????

markb
12-10-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Cidco
Ok guys.
I accessed the drive formated it......
Rebooted the computer and lost access to the drive again...
Is there any way I can flip this security off ????

As I recall, there is a way to have the UTV unlock and erase the drive. It entailed putting the drive back in the UTV, and starting it up. The UTV is unable to access the drive with the user password (since it's forgotten after the new drive was added), so it uses the master password to erase the drive. (The security is setup such that the master password only allows erasing the drive.) Once the UTV has issued the commands, you disconnect the IDE cable, but the leave the power connected. After some time, the process will finish and you will have a drive and is freshly formatted with no password.

I have never done this myself, and the above procedure might not be entirely accurate. There was a post about this a while back on the AVS UTV forum.

Cidco
12-10-2002, 10:23 PM
Hmm.
I have no problem doing the drive swap over and gaining access that way. I even get the Westerndigital diag util and tried to zero out the drive completly...
I put it back to the UTV unit and it will log back in but it will not format the drive.
So I gained access to the unit and did a 12 hour of low level formating. I still get status 220 drive locked...

markb
12-11-2002, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Cidco
I put it back to the UTV unit and it will log back in but it will not format the drive.

If you haven't setup a new drive in the UTV, it will still have the user password for the original drive and will not go through the process I described above.

So I gained access to the unit and did a 12 hour of low level formating. I still get status 220 drive locked...

You can format the drive all you want in your PC, but it won't do you any good. I think the way it works is only the master password will permanently unlock the drive. And with the configuration of the UTV drives, only a special "erase and remove passwords" command will work with the master password.

Edited to add: Here's the AVS link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113022

Note: The instructions for using only one receiver are halfway down the first page.

alldeadhomiez
04-25-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by mrblack51
By BlueCop

[B]Power up the PC and hit the "Pause" key before it autotypes the drives.
or
Start up Windows XP(maybe win2k)

Confirmed that this also works with Linux. Plus, grub and lilo have a nifty built-in pause feature. :)

I did the drive swap while it was stuck on a satfeed-less "getting guide info" state. I did not need to replay any shows. This makes sense because unless it constantly toggles the drive between locked and unlocked before and after accesses (possible but annoying), it probably unlocks it just once at boot to load the "kernel."

BlueCop
04-25-2003, 12:35 AM
i have had trouble accessing the drive if it is not being accessed from my tests. i couldn't get consistent access unless i had it paused or some things being written on the harddrive.

i can pretty much say with certainty that it does relock the drive at times.

edit: also i have a flow chart that i beleive is accurate on the process that happens when booting. ill try to upload it later tonight but if i have get time. leaving tommorrow for st louis. won't be back till monday

alldeadhomiez
04-25-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by BlueCop
i have had trouble accessing the drive if it is not being accessed from my tests. i couldn't get consistent access unless i had it paused or some things being written on the harddrive.

i can pretty much say with certainty that it does relock the drive at times.

edit: also i have a flow chart that i beleive is accurate on the process that happens when booting. ill try to upload it later tonight but if i have get time. leaving tommorrow for st louis. won't be back till monday

Since I only tried it once, you're probably right. :)

Hey, is there a more active forum and/or irc channel somewhere for UTV hacking? Now that I've pulled and unswapped my drive, I'd like to start poking through the filesystem to see what's on this thing. (Besides my damn phone number..)