PDA

View Full Version : MUX'ing, VSplit, and MPG2 files... #2!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

koreth
01-22-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by jdiner
1- Make the key file: vsplit -k file.ty file.key junk.m2a
Is the .m2a file used for anything, or can we use NUL: for that last argument? (The fewer random files cluttering up my video directory the better...)

Looking forward to playing with this!

-Steve

MartinC
01-22-2003, 06:04 PM
oops would help if I learn to read. Incorrect key file will kill the GOPEditor, like if you use the option -m instead of -k.

Martin

Hi8
01-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Wow. Downloaded 5 times in 2 minutes... Not bad... Not bad at all...

--jdiner

yeah; I was one of them, however I can't playnow!! my video/burner PC is in my basement and it's about 10degrees here in the NE (Connecticut) and I just can't get comfortable down there. don't want to wait for the heater to warm things up.

I think I'll wait for the weekend to play; so even after the delay.. I can still wait alittle longer, it must be my old age setting in.

jdiner; my condolenses(sp) hope all is well; my dad passed away about a year ago and family is the MOST important thing right about now. It is clear by your reply, that you are handling what took place here in the proper light...

F'em

wolkowh
01-22-2003, 06:12 PM
1. Can I supress all the stuff writing to the screen while it creates the .key file?
2. .key is a *very dangerous* extension to use because it is also the same as registry output files - accidentally double click on one and it tries to update your registry with it!

Good work!
Howard

koreth
01-22-2003, 06:16 PM
To suppress the screen output, run "vsplit -k foo.ty foo.key junk.m2a > NUL:".

RxMan
01-22-2003, 06:26 PM
You can make cut-lists with the current tool and if the end goal is DVD save the .key and .cut files and use them in the next version of the tools to go right to a VOB

Probably a stupid question...BUT....The goal of this is to remove commercials or whatever. Is it possible to get to DVD using the resulting mux created with the cut file?

I guess I'm saying that the last step now is to mux the cut file with vsplit resulting in mpeg. Can I get to DVD from there using Maesrto or Spruce?

BubbleLamp
01-22-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by wolkowh
1. Can I supress all the stuff writing to the screen while it creates the .key file?
2. .key is a *very dangerous* extension to use because it is also the same as registry output files - accidentally double click on one and it tries to update your registry with it!

Good work!
Howard

The default for a registry file is .reg, at least in WinNT/2K/XP. Did you register that extension manually at some point? Although I agree, it is getting hard to find new ones with just 3 letters. How about .kft, for KEY FILE from TY. ;)

koreth
01-22-2003, 06:40 PM
.key and .reg appear to both be registry file extensions by default in WinXP, though not in Win2K.

wolkowh
01-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by RxMan
You can make cut-lists with the current tool and if the end goal is DVD save the .key and .cut files and use them in the next version of the tools to go right to a VOB

Probably a stupid question...BUT....The goal of this is to remove commercials or whatever. Is it possible to get to DVD using the resulting mux created with the cut file?

I guess I'm saying that the last step now is to mux the cut file with vsplit resulting in mpeg. Can I get to DVD from there using Maesrto or Spruce?

Yes, you can import the muxed file into Spruce (although internally it demuxes it then remuxes it before burning it - LOL)

Bubble - I did not register .key, it came that way with XP and W2K

Howard

BubbleLamp
01-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by koreth
.key and .reg appear to both be registry file extensions by default in WinXP, though not in Win2K.

Shows how often I play with XP!

RxMan
01-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Howard,

Thanks for the quick reply. I can't wait to get home from work to try all of this. What method are you going to use to cut and then get to DVD? I know you are going to go to DVD!

I hope audio sync is maintained.

BubbleLamp
01-22-2003, 07:01 PM
Got an ERROR PARSING CUT FILE: Unknown line format" '

'

With like 2 blank lines between the first and last '.

Edit: This was caused by using quotes on the command line for file names with spaces. I concatenated the names and it seems to be working now. Strange, the keyfile generation step didn't complain, only the muxing step.

bronco13
01-22-2003, 07:13 PM
I can create the key file O.K.

I can load it into the editor... AWESOME. LOOKS AWESOME.

When I hit the '[' Button it adds that Start Value --> AWESOME

When I hit the 'Add Cut' Button nothing happens...?

What am I doing wrong??? Can I somehow make a notation where I want the cuts and manually edit the file???

Thanks,

BubbleLamp
01-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by bronco13
I can create the key file O.K.

I can load it into the editor... AWESOME. LOOKS AWESOME.

When I hit the '[' Button it adds that Start Value --> AWESOME

When I hit the 'Add Cut' Button nothing happens...?

What am I doing wrong??? Can I somehow make a notation where I want the cuts and manually edit the file???

Thanks,

You gotta close the cut with the ] first, then hit add cut.

bronco13
01-22-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
You gotta close the cut with the ] first, then hit add cut.

Thanks BL... Works like a f'ing champ!

wolkowh
01-22-2003, 07:25 PM
I am not sure, I am trying out the new software and probable do not have all the twists down yet.

I still like the Maestro method of placing a chapter stop on each side of the break and then setting the end action of the section before the commercial to skip to the end of the break. The advantage being:
1. This is frame accurate.
2. You only have to split once, create a preview file once, and mux once.
3. The split takes place during the download - saves time
4. I am not over concerned with saving the space of commercials, rather the entire start to finish time is my main concern
5. I guess I am used to doing it this way so I have it down to a science
Howard

bronco13
01-22-2003, 07:39 PM
The term 'CUT LIST' refers to the data which should be 'CUT'... DUH!!!

I marked the beginning and ending of the commercial breaks and my MPG ended up beign ALL COMMERCIALS! Heh heh. Oops.

Definitely works though!

wolkowh
01-22-2003, 07:43 PM
I am getting "Audio Frame not in expected location"
grrrr

I get the dredded Tempor Reference error if i demux in TMPGenc 1st
2x grrrrr
Howard

RxMan
01-22-2003, 07:43 PM
Bronco,

Keep us updated. I am curious how your finished project turns out. Good luck in these early stages!

Howard,

Thanks for the reply.

RxMan
01-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Howard,

This should not be in this thread. I will delete it after you answer. I am curious, Will Maestro allow you to auto-start from Chapter 2? I am assuming Chapter 1 would be the junk right before the movie starts. I would like the DVD to start right up after that with no menu and no push play button.

Thanks

BubbleLamp
01-22-2003, 07:51 PM
I am not sure, I am trying out the new software and probable do not have all the twists down yet.

I still like the Maestro method of placing a chapter stop on each side of the break and then setting the end action of the section before the commercial to skip to the end of the break. The advantage being:
1. This is frame accurate.
2. You only have to split once, create a preview file once, and mux once.
3. The split takes place during the download - saves time
4. I am not over concerned with saving the space of commercials, rather the entire start to finish time is my main concern
5. I guess I am used to doing it this way so I have it down to a science
Howard

I noticed it took a few tries to figure out where to flag the cut too Howard, but seem to have it working pretty good now. Probably will be better when the Play Cut is working.

I'm guessing eventually this version of the splitter will be built into Tytools. I like the safety of having the tystreams in case things screw up, so I don't split during extraction.

I'd like to see a repeat function on the FWD/REV buttons for us mouse addicts.

Overall, very impressive so far.

justme
01-22-2003, 08:02 PM
The safest thing to do (unlike the stupid thing that Microsoft did) is to change the "default" action for these extensions from "merge" to "open". Look in Explorer "Tools - Folder Options - File Types" (that's where it is in Win2000).

If you make this change, double-clicking one of these files will open it in Notepad, instead of trying to merge it into the registry. From a security standpoint, this is much better. You can still merge registry files by right-clicking on them.

BTW, one of jdiner's .key files wouldn't merge into the registry anyway. I haven't looked at his .key files yet, but registry files have to be formatted in a specific way to work.

bronco13
01-22-2003, 08:12 PM
O.K. I have a perfectly edited .mpg

I'm not sure how the f... JDINER did it but it works flawlessly. I have trouble searching with MP but COWON Jet Audio plays and scans flawlessly. Sync is perfect on a one hour Surreal Life stream. (I just love hearing MC Hammer say, "I don't eat no sushi and I definitely don't eat sushi off no necked woman")

Now that I have the .mpg what can I do? How do I author?

I know JDINER posted some instructions last week so I'll check but if anyone else has a method that is currently working please let me know.

bronco13
01-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Not sure if this is relevant but I thought it was interesting feedback.

A one hour Surreal Life episode downloaded at 917,504 KB.
The muxed commercial free .mpg came out to be 677,489 KB.

This means that 240,015 KB (26.15%) were commercials...

At 661MB/Hour we can fit just over 7 hours per DVD?

That can't be right. Right?

Pr.Sinister
01-22-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by justme
The safest thing to do (unlike the stupid thing that Microsoft did) is to change the "default" action for these extensions from "merge" to "open". Look in Explorer "Tools - Folder Options - File Types" (that's where it is in Win2000).

If you make this change, double-clicking one of these files will open it in Notepad, instead of trying to merge it into the registry. From a security standpoint, this is much better. You can still merge registry files by right-clicking on them.

BTW, one of jdiner's .key files wouldn't merge into the registry anyway. I haven't looked at his .key files yet, but registry files have to be formatted in a specific way to work.

Actually what i did myself is make the files with extension TyKey instead and registered those to open with GopEditor.

-Pr.

Wooly
01-22-2003, 08:58 PM
I've processed about...oh...2 dozen 1-2 hour shows in the last week with Jdiner's GOPEditor - haven't had any problems that aren't already cleared up. Waiting on VOB to finalyze my jobs, but I've viewed them all as Mpegs already, and they're flawless.

BTW, I wrote a very simple batch file that calls everything necessary - all you need to do is unpack GOPEDITOR4.Zip into a folder called c:\AV\Automux (or anywhere else you want, and then re-do the batch file). Put this .bat file in there also, drag-n-drop a shortcut onto your desktop, and then drag-n-drop a .ty file you want to work on onto the shortcut. It'll go from there, and cleanup after it's done.

THIS .BAT FILE IS SET TO DELETE YOUR .TY FILE AFTER IT'S FINISHED, SO BE FORWARNED. If you don't want it deleted, REM out the line that says "del %1.ty".

Enjoy!

tungsten2k
01-22-2003, 08:58 PM
1/2 hr show... 3 cuts: begining fluff, commercials in middle, and fluff at end... major audio sync probs... drifts to about 10 seconds by the end. stream de/muxs fine with tydemux/mplex, haven't tried old tytool on it.

the menu selections "Move 50 frames forward/backward" doesn't work, only key combinations.

this is gonna be nice.

wish list:
key combinations for add cut, del cut, forward/backward one frame (so we can set application-specific buttons on intellimouse explorer like the scroll button : )

bfdhe
01-22-2003, 09:06 PM
First two mpg's, with cuts, perfect from start to finish.

Now on to Spruce...

Thanks Jdiner...

I would be happy to send a donation your way... Do you have a Paypal account?

Andy in NYC
01-22-2003, 09:08 PM
OK, a problem.

TMPGEnc Plus (licensed) refuses to open the resulting .mpg files so that I can lower the bitrate and burn as SVCD.

Am I missing something?

Help?

Andy in NYC

tungsten2k
01-22-2003, 09:12 PM

well no, you still get about 5hrs/DVD-R, but yes... the industry standard for one-hour televisions shows is 13 epsodes of 44min each. 26% commercials is pretty much right in line with that.

an entire season of standard network television shows with commercials edited out should fit on two 4.7GB DVD-Rs. don't try this rule with the Supranos ;)

bronco13
01-22-2003, 09:30 PM
So what about authoring?

Looks like everyone is going off in their own directions. I've tried the whole fake out thing with Ulead but it insists on transcoding... Blah.

Spruce has NEVER worked for me ever...

I don't think I can use IFOEdit (yet)

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller...

RxMan
01-22-2003, 09:31 PM
Nevermind. :)

Wooly
01-22-2003, 09:48 PM
While Spruce is easy, IfoEdit is REALLY EASY.

Advantages:

1. No fake-out necessary
2. Soup-to-nuts Video_TS directory in darned few steps
3. Works EVERY TIME

Dis-Advantatges:
1. You need v.96 Beta 1 to have multiple .mpg's on a DVD (that means donating $5, a pittance)
2. You don't get menus - each .mpg is considered a Title (think of it as a chapter, you hit next and you're off to the next title).

Seriously, crawl first, walk later. Master IFOEdit, then move on to Spruce.

So what about authoring?

Looks like everyone is going off in their own directions. I've tried the whole fake out thing with Ulead but it insists on transcoding... Blah.

Wooly
01-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Try my batch file (scroll up about 5 messages or so) - it'll make your life easy.

c:\JDiner\vsplit.exe -k c:\JDiner\Sex_city.ty c:\JDiner\Sex_city.key
c:\JDiner\Sex_city.m2a

I put the ty file that I am trying to work with in my JDiner folder along with vsplit and other stuff. I typed the above, but, I must be doing something wrong (the command prompt flashes open for a second). Can anyone see my error?

bronco13
01-22-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Wooly

Advantages:

1. No fake-out necessary
3. Works EVERY TIME

Dis-Advantatges:
1. You need v.96 Beta 1 to have multiple .mpg's on a DVD (that means donating $5, a pittance)
2. You don't get menus - each .mpg is considered a Title (think of it as a chapter, you hit next and you're off to the next title).

Uh... How do you author with IfoEdit? I have the new version but I don't see how to author without the elementary streams...

I have the edited .mpg...

Where do I go from there?

RxMan
01-22-2003, 09:52 PM
Wooly,

That is what I did. Thanks.

BubbleLamp
01-22-2003, 10:09 PM
So what about authoring?

Maybe I missed something along the way, but wasn't the only reason to use Spruce was because it handled the elemental streams? If the file is now a valid MPG, can't we use any of the zillion DVD authoring packages out there to do the chapter stops, titles, etc?

bronco13
01-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Maybe I missed something along the way, but wasn't the only reason to use Spruce was because it handled the elemental streams? If the file is now a valid MPG, can't we use any of the zillion DVD authoring packages out there to do the chapter stops, titles, etc?

I use Ulead DVD Workshop and for some reason it wants to transcode the .mpg

I also have Pinnacle and MGI VideoWave 5. I'll try them too and see...

However I would much rather use IfoEdit. I'm not interested in menus and titles. I just want to archive... Anyone know how to author a DVD with IfoEdit using the edited mpg???
Thx

Pr.Sinister
01-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Andy in NYC
OK, a problem.

TMPGEnc Plus (licensed) refuses to open the resulting .mpg files so that I can lower the bitrate and burn as SVCD.

Am I missing something?

Help?

Andy in NYC

Yes you are missing the -d option when muxing. That will mux to
SVCD and you can just drop it in Nero and it plays beautifully.

-Pr.

bronco13
01-22-2003, 10:48 PM

Well, I tried the MPG with Ulead and now I've tried it with MGI VideoWave 5. I even tried to patch the first header thingy.

Neither works.

Looks like its now a zillion DVD authoring packages - 2

archieellis
01-22-2003, 10:58 PM
Howard,

This should not be in this thread. I will delete it after you answer. I am curious, Will Maestro allow you to auto-start from Chapter 2? I am assuming Chapter 1 would be the junk right before the movie starts. I would like the DVD to start right up after that with no menu and no push play button.

Thanks
Yes it will, just set a chapter point where you want it to start and set First Play to Movie 1: Chapter 2.

Unfortunately, though, I'm having no luck getting these muxed mpgs into Spruce, or the demuxed elementry streams into Maestro. I'm going to give Authoring with IFOedit a try.

Andy in NYC
01-22-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Pr.Sinister
Yes you are missing the -d option when muxing. That will mux to
SVCD and you can just drop it in Nero and it plays beautifully.

-Pr.

Well, I added the -d
vsplit -d -m -c .......

file created will still play in media player, but TMPGEnc rejects it with the message:

"File D:\dir\scrap.mpg can not open, or unsupported"

Since the recorded bitrate was 5800, and the resulting file is 810MB, it isn't going to work directly as a SxVCD on a single disk.

Edit: Additionally, the sound is wrong (according to Nero) for SVCD.

What's the fix? What am I doing wrong? Help?

Andy in NYC

BubbleLamp
01-22-2003, 11:06 PM
Well, I tried the MPG with Ulead and now I've tried it with MGI VideoWave 5. I even tried to patch the first header thingy.

Neither works.

Looks like its now a zillion DVD authoring packages - 2

My bad, I was caught up in the excitement and forgot we really aren't working with completely kosher MPG's, hence the need for the custom editing tool prior to mux'ing. :eek:

bronco13
01-22-2003, 11:07 PM
My bad, I was caught up in the excitement and forgot we really aren't working with completely kosher MPG's, hence the need for the custom editing tool prior to mux'ing. :eek:

So close...

RxMan
01-22-2003, 11:19 PM
OK. I tested 3 or 4 files and cut commercials with no problems at all. I then got the resulting mpeg for a few of them as well. I guess at this point there is not much we can do with the final mpeg?

The GOPEditor is a great tool!

casagw
01-22-2003, 11:35 PM
The GOP Editor Works great. It is SOO much easier than editing it with TMPGEnc. (I have a process where I turn frame numbers into time to use in the MPEG->MERGE&CUT because the slider never worked right).

Unfortunately, the results from the GOP editor/vsplit do not work with SpruceUP. The resulting MPG gives me a Temporal Reference In GOP is out of sequence error.

Is there any other way to get this to work with SpruceUP?

Thanks for all your help. Because of your work, I enjoy my TIVO a hell of a lot more :D

laserfan
01-22-2003, 11:53 PM
I like to record old Sat. Night Lives and cut the musical performances out of them.

The new GopEditor worked like a charm for this, tho it seemed to take a long time getting the 4min song out of the 1hr program. Where are the instructions that explain the args for vsplit? Can you "quiet" the output? Maybe that would speed it up for me.

Anyway my clip was in perfect sync & played beautifully in WMP and PowerDVD. Dunno how to convert the audio to 48kHz yet, but this is very exciting stuff isn't it.

UPDATE: I did a simple demux w/TMPGEnc Plus, resampled to 48kHz w/BeSweet, and re-muxed w/TMPGEnc Plus (simple multiplex) and sync is retained for my 4 min song. But SpruceUp won't import it, and MPEG-VCR crashes when I attempt to run GOP fixer on it, so I guess if I need to output to DVD I'm gonna hafta learn IFOEdit?

Pr.Sinister
01-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Well, I added the -d
vsplit -d -m -c .......

file created will still play in media player, but TMPGEnc rejects it with the message:

"File D:\dir\scrap.mpg can not open, or unsupported"

Since the recorded bitrate was 5800, and the resulting file is 810MB, it isn't going to work directly as a SxVCD on a single disk.

Edit: Additionally, the sound is wrong (according to Nero) for SVCD.

What's the fix? What am I doing wrong? Help?

Andy in NYC

Is this from a DirecTiVo or a SA TiVo? Cause the sound is no problem. Just say turn off compliance when Nero asks... If you use -m -d -c, there is no need to go to TMPGEnc anymore.

If the files are too big to fit on 1 CD, you can use this script
for now until jdiner puts in a switch to size files in megabytes.

---------- MakeCutsSVCD.bat ----------

@Echo off
for %%l in (%1) do cd %%~dpl
for /L %%m in (0,5200,%2) do (
Echo Muxing file to SVCD starting at chunk %%m ...
for %%l in (%1) do (
vsplit -m -d -j%%m -l5200 -c "%%~nl.cut" "%%~nxl" "%%~nl-%%m.mpg" "%%~nl.m2a" > :NUL
del "%%~nl.m2a"
)
)

-------------------- EOF ---------------------

The Syntax is :

MakeCutsSVCD "My Favorite Show.ty" 12759

What this does is it takes the Ty file and Cut files (same filenames
but different extensions) and creates as many files needed to process
the whole file but never generating anything bigger than 5200 chunks.
5200 gives about 650 megs of pure show. So with the cuts, it'll
be smaller than that. I use this for HBO movies where i cut the
start and end. If you are using Network TV shows, then just
change all instances of 5200 to something bigger. Just try it and
see what number fits best for you.

The number after the name of the Ty Stream is the amount of
chunks to process. Usually you want this to be the total chunks
that a Ty file has. You can use AudioCheck to figure this out but
it's kinda slow.

-Pr.

wolkowh
01-23-2003, 12:34 AM
Not to nit pick - but:
The program is backwards, I've been editing video since the late 80's and the standard way is to give a list of the video to Include not Exclude ... perhaps this can be an option going forward...

The resulting .mpeg i guess can only be authored with IfoEdit which is OK, but I use spruce for 2 reasons:
1. I like my menus. It just makes everything look good.
2. The .mpeg stream we make is not compliant with the DVD standard. To recap and refresh:
An mpeg stream according to the DVD standard must have a max of 18 frames -- tivo streams start at 30 frames and go from there. To make the stream fully DVD compliant requires transcoding - the one thing we are all trying to avoid.

I just don't know how we can get around the GOP errors, anyone with an idea feel free to chime in. I guess I'll have to offer a bounty to anyone who can figure out how to fix GOP errors without transcoding.
Howard

Pr.Sinister
01-23-2003, 12:46 AM
If you are using my batch file to mux to multiple files for SVCD,
there is a faster way of figuring out what the exact amount of
chunks are in a Ty Stream.

Take the size of the file in bytes. Not Size on Disk. Just Size.

Divide it by 131,072 and you get the number of chunks.

-Pr.

bronco13
01-23-2003, 12:56 AM
The resulting .mpeg i guess can only be authored with IfoEdit which is OK,

Dude... You keep saying this and I keep hearing you...

I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to author a DVD with IfoEdit with the resulting mpg...

Can you please give me a quick outline on this. I'm pretty well versed with the program so just a quit 1.2.3. kind of thing.

I looked at the forum for IfoEdit but it looks like everyone has the older version and the dude who wrote it has been recruited by those guys that are charging $100.00 for a program that is basically about 25% finished and you can only load three times...

Any help is much appreciated...

sky12
01-23-2003, 01:04 AM
Ok, here's how things have been going for me so far...
I've pulled 5 shows off my Dtivo with mfstreams(tytool blows up trying to pull Full Metal Challenge)

Success:
Drew Carey
Andromeda
Inuyasha (anime)
Failure:
Junkyard Wars
Full Metal Challenge

The failures gopedit just fine, but don't play at all well.
One kindof buzzes the audio, the other is in slow motion.
(This is with Media player 9)
Could this be TLC(the channel) related?
Could this be Media Player's fault?
What does everyone use to play the Mpgs? What's best for this?
Is 1.4 Mbyte/second a good extract speed? (with 100Mbit line)
Should we be doing anything with the Sync offset 7Ms?

Greg

zobetron
01-23-2003, 01:21 AM

... how to author a DVD with IfoEdit with the resulting mpg...

The way I did it was to demux the mpg file first using TMPGEnc.

Then I fixed the audio:

I converted the audio file from .mp2 to .wav using besweet. I then used ssrc to resample to 48mhz. I then used besweet again to make it an .ac3 file.

Then...

1. Start ifoedit.
2. Click DVD Author Menu -> Author new DVD
3. Select the .m2v file for video
4. Select the .ac3 file for audio (if you need to you can set an offset here)
5. Select the CellTimes.txt file for the chapters. (I created one by hand. Convert seconds to frames for each chapter, eg. if the chapter hits at 1:14 then frames = 2220, each chapter on a separate line)
6. Then click OK.
7. Wait.

jbron
01-23-2003, 01:29 AM
Sweet Program. I have been successful so far with one 30 minute show. However, I have a 1 1/2 hour show that just won't convert to a key file. It starts, but then pauses with this error

MUX Have the body for P4-frame and Header for B5-Frame.
ERROR: Out of memory getting a new MuxNode buffer!

Does anyone know what this error is or is my ty file just corrupted?

Pr.Sinister
01-23-2003, 01:35 AM
Could you guys please check if you go to the absolute
end of the Key file in the GopEditor and you click ],
does it give you the right time or just 13:15:21.858 ?

I don't remember if earlier versions did that...

Maybe it's intentional... i dunno...

-Pr.

archieellis
01-23-2003, 01:44 AM

-Pr.
yup, I saw that too.

shstevens
01-23-2003, 01:46 AM
I hope I don't get blasted for an obvious issue here :^)

I THINK I am following the directions ok - just getting my feet wet here and glad to have such nice tools to play with!

Followed these steps:

"Quick Process Guide:

1- Make the key file: vsplit -k file.ty file.key junk.m2a
Note the change to .key from .m2v... GopEditor uses this extension now...

2- Use it in the GopEditor: GopEditor file.key

3- Save the .cut file in the GopEditor.

4- Mux using the cut file: vsplit -m -c file.cut file.ty file.mpg junk.m2a

--jdiner"

I am using the vsplitmux2.exe file included with jdiner's download. So I am really typing vsplitmux -k .....

I started with a *.ty of a Jeopardy program (just to test with since it is small) and everything seems to work flawlessly but I end up with no sound. Not sure how to troubleshoot from here...

Thanks for any help,
Shawn

Gruph
01-23-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by sky12
Ok, here's how things have been going for me so far...
I've pulled 5 shows off my Dtivo with mfstreams(tytool blows up trying to pull Full Metal Challenge)
Greg

It blows up on Full Metal Challenge because of the "/" (forward slash) in the episode name.

JDiner, any plans on fixing this?

Keep up the good work. Project looks pretty cool so far!

-Gruph

-update: Sorry... I am mistaken. I was unable to grab "Monster Garage" because of the forward slash. When I attempt it, it says "#1 failed to write to stdout".

edpuffmonster
01-23-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Gruph
It blows up on Full Metal Challenge because of the "/" (forward slash) in the episode name.

JDiner, any plans on fixing this?

Keep up the good work. Project looks pretty cool so far!

-Gruph

-update: Sorry... I am mistaken. I was unable to grab "Monster Garage" because of the forward slash. When I attempt it, it says "#1 failed to write to stdout".

Use my tivoweb module for extraction and it will be no problem. Check the programs area for tivoweb_extract.

Milo
01-23-2003, 03:37 AM
jdiner, you rock! I've been running the last few days' worth of VH1 Classic through vsplitmux2, and so far there's only one video the new tools haven't synced audio and video perfectly for.

Beta issue: performing a cut containing the first block is rather likely to kill the audio track for the remaining stream. I've been able to work around it by using the
vsplitmux -j option to jump to the start of the section I want.

tzito
01-23-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by jbron
Sweet Program. I have been successful so far with one 30 minute show. However, I have a 1 1/2 hour show that just won't convert to a key file. It starts, but then pauses with this error

Try jumping into the file past the first few chunks (ie: "vsplit -j 10"). I have found that almost any .ty stream that fails to process at all has a few trashed chunks at the begining. I have had to jump as high as 100 chunks to get a good stream sync, but it's always worked after that.

I've ran a couple 2.5 hr shows through the earlier versions without problem; So it isn't a length issue unless it's new to this version...

tzito
01-23-2003, 04:15 AM

-Pr.

It's been that way since GopEditor version 1. I noticed it, but never really thought much about it. All of my streams are garbage at the end anyhow. Perhaps its related to the multiple OOB packets that would show up at the end of a stream when processed with the earlier tools?

MrBassMan
01-23-2003, 04:37 AM
Not to nit pick - but:
The program is backwards, I've been editing video since the late 80's and the standard way is to give a list of the video to Include not Exclude ... perhaps this can be an option going forward...

This confused me at first too. I ended up with a show full of adverts on my first attempt.

I just don't know how we can get around the GOP errors, anyone with an idea feel free to chime in. I guess I'll have to offer a bounty to anyone who can figure out how to fix GOP errors without transcoding.
Howard

Olaf has already done this and it seems to be working very well. For the sake of everyone extracting video from Tivo, I wish jdiner and Olaf would start working together rather than independently working on what will essentially be different products with the same functionality.

The current situation is that jdiner has the editing facilities we need but Olaf produces better streams. As things stand, we cannot use both tools because jdiner's process leaves no point where tydemux can be run.

dlang
01-23-2003, 04:38 AM
sounds great, I'm eagerly waiting for the linux version (if nothing else of the new vsplitmux and interface definitions)

sky12
01-23-2003, 05:11 AM
Well, I can now say I'm 5 for 5 after a hint a few messages up.

TLC always seems to have junk at the start of a program, so for everything I was trying from them I was cutting out the first 30 seconds of show.
This is what was messing up my audio, as soon as I left the front alone, all was fine and I now have a clean/happy Full Metal Challenge and Junkyard Wars.

The batch file mentioned a page or two ago works wonders as well. All I have to do is extract the show, drag it over the bat file and *poof!* I have a watchable show.

Thanks everyone who's worked so hard to make this happen. (Esp JD)

Greg

Hi8
01-23-2003, 06:55 AM

Advantages:

1. No fake-out necessary
3. Works EVERY TIME

Dis-Advantatges:

Wooly;

you refer to Authoring with IfoEdit using .mpg is that just referring to the .m2v & .m2a files - or are you importing a mux'd .mpg file?

I didn't know that was possible!

defsrg
01-23-2003, 08:01 AM
i tried to load the changed .key file and all it does is crash in windowsxp professional. anyone else having this problem????

Wooly
01-23-2003, 08:30 AM
You are correct - the .mpg must be de-muxed to it's elementary streams to be used in IFOEdit in this manner. Sorry for the confusion.

I did read somewhere that creating basic menus is on the slate of development for IFOEdit.

What I'd REALLY like to see is Spruce having the ability to import VOB files directly, without any interpretation as to whether they are valid or not. This would allow us to use Jdiner's tool to create a VOB and then drop them into Spruce and create DVD's easily WITH menus.

But I dream on...

Originally posted by Hi8
Wooly;

you refer to Authoring with IfoEdit using .mpg is that just referring to the .m2v & .m2a files - or are you importing a mux'd .mpg file?

I didn't know that was possible!

Wooly
01-23-2003, 08:32 AM
Changed...do you mean CREATED? A .key file is nothing more than an "index" file created by vsplit. It should not be changed, but created and then disposed of when finished. What's your process?

Originally posted by defsrg
i tried to load the changed .key file and all it does is crash in windowsxp professional. anyone else having this problem????

hancocks
01-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Wooly,

I agree completely. Can't make it work with Spruce, MyDVD, nothing. MyDVD complains about the "non-standard" frame rates, with a "too many frames in a GOP" error. Frustrating.
I did demux and run thru IFOEdit, with success. But I really would like menus.
I'm going to look into editing the .IFOs created in IFOEdit to insert a cheap and easy menu system. No one should wait by the phone, however. I'm going to take a simple menu system and see thru inspection if it can be easily modified. Right now, I have no clue.

Tx,

- Stu

archieellis
01-23-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by defsrg
I had the same problem and it turns out I had used -m instead of -k in the original split.

I saw a post where someone had done the same thing, and still managed to screw it up.

Hobby
01-23-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by ZOBETRON

"I converted the audio file from .mp2 to .wav using besweet. I then used ssrc to resample to 48mhz. I then used besweet again to make it an .ac3 file."

ZOBETRON - Is the reulting converted .ac3 file a 2 channel ac3 or a 6 channel ac3? I'm real curious if this method does in fact convert to a full surround 6 channel audio stream.

Also, while on the subject - Does jdiner's GOPedit handle ac3 streams and preserve the 6 channel format (when present)?

Thanks
Hobby

zobetron
01-23-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Hobby
Is the resulting converted .ac3 file a 2 channel ac3 or a 6 channel ac3? I'm real curious if this method does in fact convert to a full surround 6 channel audio stream.

Also, while on the subject - Does jdiner's GOPedit handle ac3 streams and preserve the 6 channel format (when present)?

First, the resultant .ac3 file is 2 channel. As for the second part of your question, I do not know.

Andy in NYC
01-23-2003, 12:35 PM
OK, it's clearly me, but...

the editor is beautiful for cutting out commercials, etc. (after I realized that the list is the OUT, not the IN <g>).

I end up with an .mpg that plays in Media Player beautifully.

What I want, however, is an SVCD that plays in my JVC. To do that, I need to lower the bit rate and convert the audio.

To do this, I normally use TMPGEnc Plus. TMPGEnc, however, won't open the file (as discussed above). I did a simple demux to audio and video files, but TMPGEnc (strangely) won't open the video file it created (the audio seems OK).

I've used the -d and other options, but I seem to be missing something (some concept maybe) about what the video file is.

Help (again).

Andy in NYC

P.S. - I think the editor is really slick.

srp336
01-23-2003, 01:10 PM
If I'm using this process and I'm planning on ending up writing a DVDR, what's the best recording quality setting to use? Should I use "Best" or something with its bitrates modified? How about SVCD (a secondary concern, since I finally broke down and got a DVD burner...)

The recordings I'm trying to archive are mainly network television shows. At "Basic" (modified to be 720x480, I don't remember offhand what I set the bitrates to, but I can check), I'm getting around 1.3gb for a half-hour. And at "Best" (unmodified), I'm getting almost that. So far, I've tried one of the half-hour shows at these settings with the new software and get a little under 1gb without commercials. Do these sizes seem high or are they about right?

Thanks!

jbron
01-23-2003, 01:58 PM
Those sizes seem right to me. I use a 720x480 resolution with a 7340000 bitrate and my 1/2 shows end up at 1628 MB with commercials. I don't see yours as a prob unless you are using a higer bitrate. There was a really good thread called 544x480 tht covered all of this stuff you should check it out.

Willie
01-23-2003, 03:16 PM
Ok, I have taken a ty file that I know is good (I have previously split and used spruceup to put on DVD), and ran it through the new gop editor. After creating mpeg everything is in sync and edited and looks great in wmp and powerdvd. But I have not been able to get it into spruceup or any other programs that I can create menus with, I like menus. Have not tried ifoedit, which i read works but no menus. DVDit pro takes the mpeg but wants to transcode it. After i patch first frame of mpeg, fakeout method, and try spruceup I get Temporal erros. I tried the gopeditor on a couple other ty files that I have also previously put on DVD using spruce successfully, with no success also.

My question is is there a way to split the ty file including the cut list so I end up with edit m2v and m2a files, instead of going to mpg? This would be great so I could still use fake out method whcih has been working perfect for me until vob generation is ready or mpeg id dvd compliant.

Thanks for all the help, and great work Jdiner.

Hobby
01-23-2003, 03:26 PM
I like using DvdMaestro for authoring DVDs for the menus, its ease of use, and the fact that handles 6 channel ac3 audio stream.

Having said that, and coupled with the fact that alot of people are having trouble importing the mpg file into a good authoring program, I had a thought.

Is it possible to use an editor like jdiners to create the cut list for tytool and vsplit the ty file through tytool to create the m2a and m2v files that we all love without the commercials? That way we can author and burn as we did in the past.

Hobby

well it seems I posted virtually the same post as just above

sorry about that!!

slideaway
01-23-2003, 04:04 PM
jdiner, this progam is F'n fantastic, thanks for all your hard work and efforts. Sorry to hear about your loss.

I just want to repeat the posts from above,

Looking for a way to use your editior and then when complete, go back to m2v and m2a files that can be worked with is a variety of programs.

My Problem:

I've done the vsplit, then edit, then vsplit again to create the mpg.
After that I have to do a simple-demux in TMPGenc, to get back to m2v and m2a files, and work with it in IFOEdit. Once I create the VOB and test, I either don't have any audio, or I have audio until my first cut then no audio the rest of the show.
I've done a normal vsplit (no gopedit, vsplit12) and then created the VOB in IFOEdit, with the original ty files, no edits, and it works great, but I have all the commercials, what we don't want.

Am I doing something wrong? I thought that I was following the proper method but it doesn't seem to be working, audio is not coming through.

Again, powerful tool you've blessed us with jdiner, Thanks.

ponto
01-23-2003, 04:52 PM
going wrong somewhere:-

UK Tivo - Tivoweb 1.9.4. - MfsStream -

vsplitmux2 -s -k simpsons.ty simpsons.key simpsons.m2a

gopedit - (seems fine but playing is very fast, should it be normal speed??)
save cut

vsplitmux2 -m -c simpsons.cut simpsons.ty simpsons.mpg simpson
s.m2a

I seem to end up with a mpg file that doesn't work!!

any ideas anyone!!

newlooper
01-23-2003, 05:46 PM
Well I have tried and have come up with something VERY weird.

I have tried 10 video ty streams and I have the same issue with all!

At the end of vsplitmux2 -k I get an error about 20 minutes (viewing time) from the end of the video.

vsplit reports a packet with no timestamp. well, Ill post it.

The end result is I cannot import it into anything that I have. The time counter on POWERDVD stops running 20 minutes short of the end of the mpg. here is the errror:

-1x4 - No Audio or Video timestamps in this chunk... Checking byte counts...
-1x4: New Vid ByteCount = 5D CD 40 to 5D FF E0
-1x4: New Aud ByteCount = 0 0 0 to 0 0 0
-1x4: Old Vid ByteCount = 6D 3F A0 to 5D CD 40
-1x4: Old Aud ByteCount = 6F 27 FC to 6F 33 70
-1x4: We are aligned on the Video so it is good!!!

ZZZ: # 0 vid ( 12960): 3 2a 2 e0 30 5d cd 40 0 0 6 8c 7c 85 bf 6
ZZZ: # 1 0 ( 0): 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 8c 7c 85 bf 6

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 00:03:58.774
33333 -> - old Vid ByteCount = 5D CD 40 to 5D FF E0
33333 -> - new Vid ByteCount = 5F 25 A8 to 61 6 E8
33333 -> - NOT ALIGNED on the Video... It is an OOB chunk!
Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:03:58.953
Is it in sequence??? It is OFF by exactly 9956.375000 frames.

#1 55555 -> + old Aud ByteCount = 6F 27 FC to 6F 33 70
#1 55555 -> + new Aud ByteCount = 6F F3 C to 70 C 84
55555 -> - NOT ALIGNED on the Audio... It is an OOB chunk!
Nope... Not in sequence... Skipping it...

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 00:03:58.374
33333 -> - new Vid ByteCount = 61 6 E8 to 62 DD 34
Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:03:58.617
Is it in sequence??? It is OFF by exactly 9942.375000 frames.

#1 55555 -> + new Aud ByteCount = 70 C 84 to 6D B6 7C

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 00:03:58.007
33333 -> - new Vid ByteCount = 62 DD 34 to 64 B5 20
Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:03:58.161
Is it in sequence??? It is OFF by exactly 9923.375000 frames.

#1 55555 -> + new Aud ByteCount = 6D B6 7C to 6D D8 74

A/V Sync Offset: 7ms (i.e. plays 7ms early!)
MUX: Padded the output by 0 bytes...

Any ideas????

tzito
01-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by newlooper

I have tried 10 video ty streams and I have the same issue with all!

At the end of vsplitmux2 -k I get an error about 20 minutes (viewing time) from the end of the video.

vsplit reports a packet with no timestamp. well, Ill post it.

The end result is I cannot import it into anything that I have. The time counter on POWERDVD stops running 20 minutes short of the end of the mpg. here is the errror:

-1x4 - No Audio or Video timestamps in this chunk... Checking byte counts...
-1x4: New Vid ByteCount = 5D CD 40 to 5D FF E0
-1x4: New Aud ByteCount = 0 0 0 to 0 0 0
-1x4: Old Vid ByteCount = 6D 3F A0 to 5D CD 40
-1x4: Old Aud ByteCount = 6F 27 FC to 6F 33 70
-1x4: We are aligned on the Video so it is good!!!

A/V Sync Offset: 7ms (i.e. plays 7ms early!)
MUX: Padded the output by 0 bytes...

Any ideas????

I think you might be using the wrong command line options. 'vsplitmux2 -k file.ty file.key emptyfile' is used to generate the .key file for processing with GopEditor. Viewing / muxing / or playing the file output by the '-k' option would have problems as it is only the video I frames without any audio.

To test the stream without any cutting do 'vsplitmux2 -m file.ty file.mpg emptyfile' and see if the error still shows up. If it does, this may be the problem jdiner is specifically looking for. The stream that had the 'really wild audio' problem caused similar errors when I was testing.

In both examples above, the 'emptyfile' is just a dummy name I use to satisfy the command line parser when no audio file is going to be created. The audio file argument is still required and will generate an empty file that can be deleted / ignored.

A quick walk-through for editing a theoretical stream called "Simpsons - Pilot.ty" would be:

1. Create the keyfile for GopEditor:
-> vsplitmux2 -k "Simpsons - Pilot.ty" "Simpsons - Pilot.key" emptyfile >> "Simpsons - Pilot.log"

2. Run GopEditor, Load the "Simpsons - Pilot.key" file and mark a start cut at the first frame. Use the shortcuts to move to the frame before the first frame of the show and mark an end cut.

3. Repeat cutting steps until you have marked out all unwanted frames. Save the .cut file "Simpsons - Pilot.cut".

4. Mux the desired output to "Simpsons - Pilot.mpg" with:
-> vsplitmux2 -m -c "Simpsons - Pilot.cut" "Simpsons - Pilot.ty" "Simpsons - Pilot.mpg" emptyfile >> "Simpsons - Pilot.log"

The "Simpsons - Pilot.log" file will have all the output from both calls to vsplitmux2, and nothing will be displayed while the program is running. This increased the speed of the program for me and gave me a log to look through after the fact rather than having to watch the screen. Omit the '>> "Simpsons - Pilot.log"' in both commands if you want the output to the screen instead.

The resulting "Simpsons - Pilot.mpg" should play fine, all my tests have worked at this point. Some mention that cutting the first frame from the stream is a bad idea, and I agree that cutting off the sequence header is a bad idea. I have yet to have a problem with doing it though.

If you continue to get the audio errors that you mentioned try adding a '-j' option to both commands to jump past the first few chunks which seem to cause me trouble occasionally. ie:
-> vsplitmux2 -j 10 -k "Simpsons - Pilot.ty" "Simpsons - Pilot.key" emptyfile >> "Simpsons - Pilot.log"
-> vsplitmux2 -j 10 -m -c "Simpsons - Pilot.cut" "Simpsons - Pilot.ty" "Simpsons - Pilot.mpg" emptyfile >> "Simpsons - Pilot.log"

This would skip the first 10 chunks in both calls to vsplitmux2 and hopefully solve the problem. I have had to skip as many as 100 chunks to get a stream to line-up correctly, you may need to adjust the jump value for your stream.

If you still have the errors after working through the book I wrote above, find the chunk that the error happens at and use the TyFileSplit tool to extract a chunk for jdiner to look at. Search for TyFileSplit for more information on using the tool and how to submit test streams to jdiner...

donmc
01-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Fantastic and it works on UK PAL Tivos as well!

Really looking forward to the final product.

In the meantime, I'd like to burn a few DVD-Rs and have followed the insructions to use ifoedit ie demux, resample audio, etc. All seems well but when I play the resultant VIDEO_TS folder the audio sync is bang on initiallly but drifts out. I followed this process....

"I converted the audio file from .mp2 to .wav using besweet. I then used ssrc to resample to 48mhz. I then used besweet again to make it an .ac3 file."

Any more tips on fixing the audio?

newlooper
01-23-2003, 09:15 PM
tzito

Thanks for the reply but does not apply. I am not viewing the mpg at the error point I am showing. That error comes when I do the vsplitmux2 -k tyfile.ty tyfile.key tyfile.m2a

The error shows up at the end of the process.

When I do a vsplitmux2 -m -c tyfile.cut tyfile.ty tyfile.mpg tyfile.m2a it all looks ok but the timestamps are missing from the last 20 minutes.

It happens on all of my files which seems a litlle wierd.

JDiner I would like to say I am sorry for your loss. Times like this can be hard on a person. When you feel better, I would like to send what you need to look at.

Thanks and I will take any other suggestions as this is very frustrating.

MrBassMan
01-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by donmc
Fantastic and it works on UK PAL Tivos as well!

Really looking forward to the final product.

In the meantime, I'd like to burn a few DVD-Rs and have followed the insructions to use ifoedit ie demux, resample audio, etc. All seems well but when I play the resultant VIDEO_TS folder the audio sync is bang on initiallly but drifts out. I followed this process....

Any more tips on fixing the audio?

The sync drift is caused by errors in the ty stream. Olaf's tydemux will fix these. It is the only program I have found which produces in-sync audio for UK TY streams.

The output from tydemux can be read from nearly all MPEG editors.

But...
Currently if you want to use gopchopper, you must use vsplit to split to audio and video files, you cannot use tydemux.

jdiner's gopchpper + Olaf's tydemux is currently a dream... but soon it may be made a reality
:D

Wooly
01-23-2003, 09:49 PM
HowTo for IFOEdit:

1. Grab the .ty file from the Dtivo
2. Use my Bat file
3. Drag-n-drop the .ty file onto the bat file
4. GOP Edit the sucker
5. quit the GOPEditor
6. Grab a beer
7. come back, the bat file will be done
8. Demux the file (use TMPGEnc, it's very good). Create an .m2v and an .m2a
9. Run IFO Edit v.96Beta1
10. DVD Author (at the top)
11. Add the .m2v in the Video Stream (by clicking the right button)
12. Add the .m2a in the Audio Stream (by clicking the right button)
13. If you're adding another set of streams, hit Add Title (at the top) and repeat #11 and #12. When that's all done, select a desitination directory, hit ok at the bottom
14. When IFO Edit is done, quit IFOEdit
15. Run IFO Edit again, go into the destination directory you defined in #13, and open the VTS*.IFO. Hit the "Get VTS Sector" button, hit okay until everything is updated. Save the file.

That's it. You now have the contents of a Video_TS folder ready to burn.

I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to author a DVD with IfoEdit with the resulting mpg...

Can you please give me a quick outline on this. I'm pretty well versed with the program so just a quit 1.2.3. kind of thing.

tzito
01-23-2003, 09:55 PM
tzito

Thanks for the reply but does not apply. I am not viewing the mpg at the error point I am showing. That error comes when I do the vsplitmux2 -k tyfile.ty tyfile.key tyfile.m2a

The error shows up at the end of the process.

When I do a vsplitmux2 -m -c tyfile.cut tyfile.ty tyfile.mpg tyfile.m2a it all looks ok but the timestamps are missing from the last 20 minutes.

It happens on all of my files which seems a litlle wierd.

JDiner I would like to say I am sorry for your loss. Times like this can be hard on a person. When you feel better, I would like to send what you need to look at.

Thanks and I will take any other suggestions as this is very frustrating.

Sounds like one he'll want to look at when he has time. Did you say you were 10 for 10 streams with this same problem? I have only had 3 out of ~300 fail...

jdiner
01-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by MartinC
oops would help if I learn to read. Incorrect key file will kill the GOPEditor, like if you use the option -m instead of -k.

Humm... Maybe I should add a key sequence to the very start and have the GopEditor look for it before going any further. Would stop that kind of problem.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 12:47 AM
Got an ERROR PARSING CUT FILE: Unknown line format" '

'

With like 2 blank lines between the first and last '.

Edit: This was caused by using quotes on the command line for file names with spaces. I concatenated the names and it seems to be working now. Strange, the keyfile generation step didn't complain, only the muxing step.
Woah. That is wierd. I have spaces in my file names and it worked correctly for me. What OS are you using. I might be facing that again...

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 12:50 AM
I'd like to see a repeat function on the FWD/REV buttons for us mouse addicts.

Hummm. I had not thought of that. But it is easy enough to do... I will add it to the TODO list.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by justme
Yeah. No hope there. My Key files are custom formatted MPEG-2 files. And I do mean custom...

By and large the registry files I have looked at over the years are text and nothing in my key files is so...

But I think that I agree with many here. I want to make some changes to things and I think what I will do is use .TYK... For TYstream Key....

Also I have been thinking tonight that what I need to do is to make the CLI changes finally. So that it will become:

vsplit -k file.ty

and the result will just be file.tyk...

Easier to type and less mess down the road. Add to it an auto load for the cut files that try to open file.tyk from file.ty on the command line and it should be easier to do.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 12:55 AM

It matches dead on what I am seeing here. Which was good news for me... As I want the most I can get onto a single DVD.

I suppose I should point out that when the VOB generation gets re-added. Working on it now, or was before getting back on the forum, the files will go up in size. Not too badly but there will be more in the mux, a 2k PES segment, right before the start of each GOP. No guess yet on how many of those there are but be aware it will mean a change in size...

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 12:58 AM
THIS .BAT FILE IS SET TO DELETE YOUR .TY FILE AFTER IT'S FINISHED, SO BE FORWARNED. If you don't want it deleted, REM out the line that says "del %1.ty".

ACK! You do remember that to get the VOB stuff in there you need to keep the TyStream file right? Please tell me you didn't wipe out your archives of streams doing this...

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by tungsten2k
major audio sync probs... drifts to about 10 seconds by the end. stream de/muxs fine with tydemux/mplex, haven't tried old tytool on it.

That would be a new one. No one else has reported any poblems in a long time. And with how the mux'er works I am not sure how the failure is happening. Could you please try mux'ing with no cuts at all and see what happens.

Also what player are you using to detect the problems?

the menu selections "Move 50 frames forward/backward" doesn't work, only key combinations.

this is gonna be nice.

wish list:
key combinations for add cut, del cut, forward/backward one frame (so we can set application-specific buttons on intellimouse explorer like the scroll button : )

Crap. Not sure how I missed that but you are most correct. The menu for the 50's does nothing. See what happens when a keyboard lover writes windows programs? :) Ok. Already fixed in version 0.05...

As for the key combos. There are some. I swear I posted at some point.

Add cut: Del, x
Del Cut: Backspace
Forward or back 1 frame: left or right arrow key.

Anything else?

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:06 AM
OK, a problem.

Am I missing something?

No. There is an issue there. I believe that I know what it is. I am working on it to try and make things easier all the way around for those that want to transcode. But it will make things larger for no good reason for many so it will be an option.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:09 AM
So what about authoring?

Be patient just a little longer. I am working over the IFO, BUP, VOB creation stuff now. What I would really like is for ifoedit to pick of this or some other tool but for now I am putting what I can see and find and figure out in play. Once I can truly make a VOB then no further re-muxing or re-encoding of the stream will be needed. Which will mean perfect sync throughout the stream for every stream... And that as luck would have it is my end goal... :)

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:11 AM

What tools do you know of that do this. I will stop working on VOBs and go back to compatibility if there is something that will really work with this. I would rather work where I can be effective that spin my wheel on the very expensively documented DVD stuff. $7k is what I read on a web site for DVD docs. Now thats a racket!

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
01-24-2003, 01:12 AM
Woah. That is wierd. I have spaces in my file names and it worked correctly for me. What OS are you using. I might be facing that again...

--jdiner

WinXP Pro.

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by rc3105
if the util you use to split the tyfiles does it properly editing with regular mpeg tools isn't a problem, sync is maintained perfectly. if it's split with a util that doesn't do it right you're out of luck because the info to unscramble the eggs is lost.

Here we go again. Olaf's is better. Jdiner's is crap. Give it a rest.

Different goals. Different methods. I took the road of not filling in the hole and rebuilding problems in favour of making sure what comes out is correct according to the mpeg-2 spec. If all you ever want to say is that olaf's is better. Then please save it... I for one and sick to death of hearing it.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by laserfan
The new GopEditor worked like a charm for this, tho it seemed to take a long time getting the 4min song out of the 1hr program. Where are the instructions that explain the args for vsplit? Can you "quiet" the output? Maybe that would speed it up for me.

The problem with the text printing if what you want is 4 minutes of 60 then you will see literally thousands of them, is that the dos-prompt is slow... Just redirect it to nothing... Add:

> nul:

to the end of the split call to vsplit and it will go much much faster.

Anyway my clip was in perfect sync & played beautifully in WMP and PowerDVD. Dunno how to convert the audio to 48kHz yet, but this is very exciting stuff isn't it.

I have a fix for that problem. It was written for me by someone else here on the forum. I will be adding it in soon. I just want to get the crap vob stuff off of my plate, before adding anything else to the mix.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:27 AM

What's it worth to you? :)

Actually I have been doing tons of stuff in "thinking" about this issue. I don't know that I will ever get things to the point where spruce will work on it. But from some of what I have read online, not well documented but... it is possible to create chapters without too much trouble. So perhaps spruce will not be needed at all... After all we've come this far haven't we... :)

Perhaps even though this is a different program set we can entice olaf to share his knowledge of the DVD layout to get from here to there...

In looking at the stream there is no way to break it without re-encoding... But I have everything, but the encoder, in place to transcode only chosen frames. This was originally for the purpose of working over the cut to look better. And would still be used for a frame accurate editor. But it could be used in an automated way to split GOPs...

The problem is. It will be very problematic to go to an 18 frame GOP. From a 30 frame one. If it was 36 welll that would be a different story. So to be honest unless there was a really good reason to do it I doubt it will ever happen.

Honestly it seems easier to me to figure out how to add chapters to what we build in our own tools, possibly in conjuction with the derrow (author of ifoedit), than to try to make things "perfect" to fit into finicky tools from other companies.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by jbron

Cut the bad segment using TyFileSplit, you will find it in the programs sticky thread, and send it to me. I will take a look. What you report should never happen. Unless your machine has 64meg of ram and runs XP with no swap space... :)

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:32 AM

-Pr.

It is indeed. I did it on purpose. Here is why:

We are getting GOP start timestamps. I cut including the first and upto but not including the second. So you would get what you want and then 1 or more frames at the end. I.e. the SEQ, SEQ_EXT, GOP, and I-Frame for it, followed by anything else that was tacked on.

No what you want. So... If you cut starting at the first frame you get a 0 timestamp. I.e. everything from the start of the file on.

If you cut at the end of the file, i.e. the last known GOP, it goes to the end of the file for a clean smooth ending.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Milo
jdiner, you rock! I've been running the last few days' worth of VH1 Classic through vsplitmux2, and so far there's only one video the new tools haven't synced audio and video perfectly for.

Beta issue: performing a cut containing the first block is rather likely to kill the audio track for the remaining stream. I've been able to work around it by using the
vsplitmux -j option to jump to the start of the section I want.

That makes no sense to me. I cut the starting lead-in crap from all of my real streams. What playback mechanism are you using where it fails? What type of audio? I.e. LayerII standard or Dolby Digital? What type of Tivo is the stream coming from?

I have a ton of error correction stuff in there to make sure that the process works as it should on the audio. No strange bytes, no missing bytes, etc... I don't get it...

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by tzito
I've ran a couple 2.5 hr shows through the earlier versions without problem; So it isn't a length issue unless it's new to this version...
Just to be clear. The line where it stopped is at the 4th queued video frame. There is no way it could be out of memory. It will have loaded 10 128 chunks for early analysis and would then be processing them. Something else in the system is the culprit.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:41 AM
What I'd REALLY like to see is Spruce having the ability to import VOB files directly, without any interpretation as to whether they are valid or not. This would allow us to use Jdiner's tool to create a VOB and then drop them into Spruce and create DVD's easily WITH menus.

Here here! Spruce is not the only option for this. Does anyone use anything else that will accept them? The nero tools? Anything... I would love not to have to worry about them. To be honest I might not anyway. What I wanted is multiple shows on a single DVD with no re-encoding for best quality. After that. It is all just icing to me...

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:45 AM
the editor is beautiful for cutting out commercials, etc. (after I realized that the list is the OUT, not the IN <g>).

Sorry. I am not a video editor person by nature. I am a developer. And it shows in many ways. What I was building was a "cut list"... Directly a list of things to cut. Not keep. Made sense to me at the time... Still does. Seriously until it was written here by a few people it never even occured to me that someone would want to do it a different way.

I end up with an .mpg that plays in Media Player beautifully.

What I want, however, is an SVCD that plays in my JVC. To do that, I need to lower the bit rate and convert the audio.

I don't know that at the moment it is possilbe. The changes to the layout in the mpeg file, which is currently completely up to spec, will increase the size but should allow other tools to open it a bit more easily. I have yet to identify what is actually going wrong but hey... I could luck across it in short order.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:49 AM

Any ideas????
Cut it and send it to me and I will take a look. Not promising anything but there are still some problems in the extract TyStreams that are just not being handled right. There are some pretty nutty things going on.

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
01-24-2003, 01:51 AM
Yeah. No hope there. My Key files are custom formatted MPEG-2 files. And I do mean custom...

By and large the registry files I have looked at over the years are text and nothing in my key files is so...

But I think that I agree with many here. I want to make some changes to things and I think what I will do is use .TYK... For TYstream Key....

Also I have been thinking tonight that what I need to do is to make the CLI changes finally. So that it will become:

vsplit -k file.ty

and the result will just be file.tyk...

Easier to type and less mess down the road. Add to it an auto load for the cut files that try to open file.tyk from file.ty on the command line and it should be easier to do.

--jdiner

Looks like it's not registered. Here's a link (http://filext.com/index.htm) for you.

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:55 AM
Wow we are a verbose group of people. 2 days and 5 pages of new messages. Some good stuff in here though.

A few requests though. If one or more people would like to search the web for tools that deal with VOBs directly rather than wanting elementary streams or that will clean up the "empty" DVD PES packets in an mpeg I could really use the help.

I can look at them directly once they have been identified to see what will help us out with what I have. I just wan't to keep coding rather than spending time looking at the myriad of tools.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by MrBassMan
The sync drift is caused by errors in the ty stream. Olaf's tydemux will fix these. It is the only program I have found which produces in-sync audio for UK TY streams.

Many many people have used my stuff with UK Tivos... No idea why you seem to be having problems but a couple of my UK testers have done literally hundreds of streams with no issues...

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
01-24-2003, 02:14 AM
Sorry. I am not a video editor person by nature. I am a developer. And it shows in many ways. What I was building was a "cut list"... Directly a list of things to cut. Not keep. Made sense to me at the time... Still does. Seriously until it was written here by a few people it never even occured to me that someone would want to do it a different way.

--jdiner

Hee hee. Same here, made perfect sense to me.:D

BubbleLamp
01-24-2003, 02:45 AM
Honestly it seems easier to me to figure out how to add chapters to what we build in our own tools, possibly in conjuction with the derrow (author of ifoedit), than to try to make things "perfect" to fit into finicky tools from other companies.

--jdiner

Don't know if my mindset reflects anyone else's here, but this is where I'm at. My original goal was to be able to burn DVDs of old shows, and/or specials that were playable on most set-top players, with rudementary menus/navigation. Since I've come to learn that will ALWAYS mean transcoding (DTivo source), I'm sort of forking into two paths:

1) Bite the bullet and burn non-transcoded 480x480 discs for things I know I can play on my hardware. (Probably the majority of what I will burn.)

2) Transcode SOME content for sharing with others who may not be able to handle 480x480. (This may be less of an issue than I imagine, still unclear.)

Now, I really don't want to save all the ty files forever on the odd chance I need to re-burn another DVD. So my thought here is to to just dupe the disc if I only need another 480x480. And the plan was to rip/transcode/burn if I wanted to turn it into a 352x480. But I don't know if anyone has ever tried this? Will rippers handle a 480x480 DVD without choking?

In an ideal world, I'd love to see MPEG output that any app like DVD Workshop, DVDit, etc could all import, manipulate, and author from. Hope you ain't sorry you asked! ;)

jdiner
01-24-2003, 04:13 AM
Welp. I have been working over my code for going straight to a VOB.

The good news is that the mux'ing stage itself appears to be correct. I build the empty holes much the same way the BBMPEG and mjpeg mplex do it.

These files can then be run through ifogen and they play, without being burned to disk, in the WinDVD players "DVD From Folder" option. So this means the data issues have been solved. Which is very nice as this is where I was getting tripped up before.

The problem right now is that I munged the rest of the VOB code looking for errors so badly that what it puts in the file as the vob itself is no longer correct...

So ifogen makes something playable my code does not. Gonna have to go back through it at each generation point one more time and see where things went wrong.

So the good news is we are closer than ever. The bad news is that at the moment I have no idea what is wrong... :)

--jdiner

MrBassMan
01-24-2003, 05:53 AM
Many many people have used my stuff with UK Tivos... No idea why you seem to be having problems but a couple of my UK testers have done literally hundreds of streams with no issues...

--jdiner

In streams less than 30 minutes, the sync drift is not bad enough to worry about. >30 minutes it starts to become a problem. Over a 1.5 hour movie the sync ends up about 2-5 seconds out. I have always had this problem with both vsplit and tydemux (until release 0.4.0). I have seen many posts from UK users suffering the same problems. Olaf has at last solved the problems for UK users as well as many of the errors seen by DTivo and other users. What I as a user would love to see is you guys working together.

This is NOT an Olaf vs jdiner bash - you were first and have produced some excelent tools. The plain and simple fact is you are working in opposition to one another and it would be better for everyone if you were working together. As of today, you have the best advert removal tools and Olaf has streams that are compatible with most third party editing tools. I want both (sorry to be so greeddy);)

mpauley
01-24-2003, 06:57 AM
jdiner -

In the VOB creation, could the cut list be used to create chapter points in the .IFO files?

--mp

shstevens
01-24-2003, 11:28 AM
That makes no sense to me. I cut the starting lead-in crap from all of my real streams. What playback mechanism are you using where it fails? What type of audio? I.e. LayerII standard or Dolby Digital? What type of Tivo is the stream coming from?

I have a ton of error correction stuff in there to make sure that the process works as it should on the audio. No strange bytes, no missing bytes, etc... I don't get it...

--jdiner

JDiner,

Thanks again for such a kick ass tool. I have seen this as well. The first test clip made me pull my hair out for a while until I just went and used a couple other files. Each time I cut the first segment out (lead in commercial, etc.) there would be no audio in the program. I tried playing it on two different machines with WMP and PowerDVD4. Every other clip I have played with has been fine and I always clip some part of the beginning off.

I am using DTivo streams and in the non-audio sample it was not DD. I don't have the clip anymore (was an old Jeopardy episode I was testing on since it was small in size), but if I run into it again I am happy to send you the clip on CD or a part of it via Internet...

Shawn

jdiner
01-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by mpauley
In the VOB creation, could the cut list be used to create chapter points in the .IFO files?

I have been having exactly the same thought... At least making it an option to behave that way.

--jdiner

hancocks
01-24-2003, 12:44 PM
jdiner,

I know that all I've really wanted is to:

1) wack the commercials, and
2) burn 'em to DVD with menu buttons. Period.

You made #1 happen. Thanks. How hard is #2? I have no concept of how to go about it, and (as stated often in this thread) DVD authoring s/w seems to spit up the mpgs.

Or is this what you are referring to with "chapter points"? I thought those were something else.

Tx,

- Stu

zobetron
01-24-2003, 01:06 PM
In your GOP Editor I wonder if you could add a "current chunk" readout a la the current time code readout. Among other things I think it would make it easier to isolate problems with bad chunks (with tyfilesplit).

TIA,

Zobetron

mpauley
01-24-2003, 01:23 PM
I have been having exactly the same thought... At least making it an option to behave that way.

--jdiner

I think it would work out like:

Show is:
00:00:00 - 60:00:00

Cut out for commericals (Even times for simplicity):
00:02:00 - 00:03:00
00:10:00 - 00:12:00
00:20:00 - 00:22:00
00:35:00 - 00:38:00

Chapters would be:

Chapter1 0:00:00
Chapter2 0:02:00
Chapter3 0:09:00
Chapter4 0:16:00
Chapter5 0:28:00

Does that sound right?

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by zobetron
In your GOP Editor I wonder if you could add a "current chunk" readout a la the current time code readout. Among other things I think it would make it easier to isolate problems with bad chunks (with tyfilesplit).

It doesn't really apply. But perhaps I can fit something to it. The chunk# is a TyStream thing. By the time I get to the key files there is nothing of that left. Just mpeg-2 data and my own packing structures. But I can add that value into my packing information. It will make the key files a bit larger but they are transient in nature. However I still don't see what use it would be. If vsplit has issues with a stream then making a key file will also not be perfect...

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by mpauley
Show is:
00:00:00 - 60:00:00

Cut out for commericals (Even times for simplicity):
00:02:00 - 00:03:00
00:10:00 - 00:12:00
00:20:00 - 00:22:00
00:35:00 - 00:38:00

Chapters would be:

Chapter2 0:02:00
Chapter3 0:09:00
Chapter4 0:16:00
Chapter5 0:28:00

Right now it creates chapters like this:

and that is it. I.e. 1 chapter for the whole show. I still think putting it on an option is the best bet as some won't like that. But with the "chapter @ cuts" option on I think that what you have above would be correct. A chapter at each cut point. They would for the most part not be the same size. But they would provide for easier navigation. Especially with 5-7 episodes on a single DVD.

--jdiner

Andy in NYC
01-24-2003, 01:56 PM

and that is it. I.e. 1 chapter for the whole show. I still think putting it on an option is the best bet as some won't like that. But with the "chapter @ cuts" option on I think that what you have above would be correct. A chapter at each cut point. They would for the most part not be the same size. But they would provide for easier navigation. Especially with 5-7 episodes on a single DVD.

--jdiner

Chapter at cut also logically makes sense since this is (more or less) where commercials are inserted into the show.

I don't know that at the moment it is possilbe. The changes to the layout in the mpeg file, which is currently completely up to spec, will increase the size but should allow other tools to open it a bit more easily. I have yet to identify what is actually going wrong but hey... I could luck across it in short order.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. You state that the file is currently compliant, but it won't open in TMPGEnc (is TMPGEnc in some way not compliant?) I'm not flaming, I'm trying to understand my problem and what is involved for you to fix it (I'm very much aware that you aren't under any requirement to fix my problems - if you are, email me for the LONG list <g>). If increasing the size of the file is an outcome of fixing the stream for SVCD'able (or editable) files, is that an option in the muxer, or a comlete rewrite issue? Am I making any sense.

Thanks for a great utility (hopefully soon to be great for me, too) - sorry about the death in the family.

Andy in NYC

sky12
01-24-2003, 02:01 PM

--jdiner
I'm one of the ones who have had problems slicing off the start of programs.(in my case, Full Metal Challenge and Junkyard wars)
To see if I could duplicate it, I did a couple of tiny recordings.
I succeeded and learned a little bit at the same time.
I have a 160 Meg .ty file which I cut the front off and I wound up with slow audio. (deep voices, everything kinda sluggish)
If I set the cut point one frame back or front, everything is fine. Just the one point.. (in this case, when the video's blank between TLC's leadout and the show's start)

What I'm doing this all on:
Windows XP
viewing with Media player 9.

Alright, bit of new information..
The same Mpg that plays horrible on Media player 9 plays perfectly with PowerDVD....
The Codec MP9 is trying to use is "Intervideo Video Codec"
(and the test I just ran in MP9 just blew it up)

Looks like the simple solution is bind .mpg to PowerDVD. :)

tzito
01-24-2003, 02:05 PM
What's it worth to you? :)

The problem is. It will be very problematic to go to an 18 frame GOP. From a 30 frame one. If it was 36 welll that would be a different story. So to be honest unless there was a really good reason to do it I doubt it will ever happen.

--jdiner

I haven't had any problems with my DVD play playing back streams that violate the 18 frame / GOP limit, but I still think being as compliant as possible is best.

I know this jumps into the whole transcoding arena, but what if you were to grab a GOP, copy the first 18 frames through to the output. While the first 18 frames were copies to the output you also applied them to a buffer representing the I frame with P and B frames applied. You apply the 19th frame to the buffer and generate an I frame from the buffer to output and then copy the remaining 11 frames out to output. This would give you 2 GOPs (1 with 18 frame, 1 with 12 frame) for each 30 frame GOP.

As I have not programmed with MPEG streams, this may be a very uneducated idea; But it makes sense to me...

artships
01-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by MrBassMan...

Josh,

For months tytool was all I needed. In November vsplited tystreams started having glitches that kept TMPGEnc from successfully transcoding them. When I could get TMPGEnc to work on them, sync would drift, and authoring programs, when they would even accept the MPG, would accentuate the drift, or even knock-out portions of the audio.

Perhaps it was a failing hard-drive which introduced glitches into my stystreams and thus broke my almost-automatic DVD-making machine; this may happen to everyone eventually. When the tystreams were perfect, vsplit was enough. Now...

John

MrBassMan
01-24-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by artships
Perhaps it was a failing hard-drive which introduced glitches into my stystreams and thus broke my almost-automatic DVD-making machine; this may happen to everyone eventually. When the tystreams were perfect, vsplit was enough. Now...

John

I think that is the crux of the problem - perfect streams are OK which is why some users are OK and small streams tend to be OK. When there are problems with the stream data, these problems show up further down the muxing/editing line as audio sync and other problems.

zodiacal
01-24-2003, 02:56 PM
what exactly is the -d option for? anyone?

Billy Joe Bob
01-24-2003, 04:55 PM
Is this from a DirecTiVo or a SA TiVo? Cause the sound is no problem. Just say turn off compliance when Nero asks... If you use -m -d -c, there is no need to go to TMPGEnc anymore.

-Pr.

From a Dtvio

tried this and the audio is off ...

Any suggestions ??? TIA...

jdiner
01-24-2003, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure I understand this statement. You state that the file is currently compliant, but it won't open in TMPGEnc (is TMPGEnc in some way not compliant?) I'm not flaming, I'm trying to understand my problem and what is involved for you to fix it (I'm very much aware that you aren't under any requirement to fix my problems - if you are, email me for the LONG list <g>). If increasing the size of the file is an outcome of fixing the stream for SVCD'able (or editable) files, is that an option in the muxer, or a comlete rewrite issue? Am I making any sense.

Ok. There are things that are legal that are also unexpected by the majority of the players. I removed as much pading as was humanly possible.

The mux'ed output from my stuff is the smallest I have seen. But in doing so it appears that there are certain programs, tmpgenc/MediaPlayer's Codecs/etc..., that expect things to be found in a certain layout. I have looked at the source for a few things on the web in the last 24 hours in looking at this and I found that many of them are just plain insane. Fixed byte locations. If I found this here, look for this there. In doing so they ignore the MPEG-2 flags that indicate if that data is even present in the stream.

Like I said insane.

Anyway, I am working on a version that will produce the larger output but that will probably be more compatible. If I had known it was going to be such a problem I would have not spent as much time trying to smash it all down. But with the reduced padding in the current version you can put alot more read data onto an SVCD/DVD disk.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-24-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by zodiacal
what exactly is the -d option for? anyone?
Standard Program Stream MPEG is 2048 bytes.

Standard SVCD MPEG is 2342 bytes. -d mux'es into the 2342 size.

No audio is changed. No other unkown processing takes place. If you load a 2048 byte mpeg into a VCD writing tool. It will remux, in many cases very very poorly, into the larger byte count size.

By very poorly one of the freeware tools I downloaded from the web muxes the first part of the data into a stream and then padds for 300 bytes at the end of each one. Bloated the size of my file by over 40% when all was said and done.

--jdiner

zodiacal
01-24-2003, 05:14 PM
if i use the -d option and drag it into nero to burn a svcd will it still remux (and bloat the file) because the audio is not the right format either?

koreth
01-24-2003, 05:31 PM
One more opinion to throw into the mix: I don't care about loading streams into third-party editing tools -- getting the original, non-transcoded MPEG streams as small as can be (with commercial removal, which the GOP editor solves quite nicely) is the holy grail for me. As long as the eventual VOB-creation tool allows me to put a simple menu on a DVD (possibly with a third-party tool) I'll be happy.

Luckily for me it sounds like that's the same thing jdiner wants.

zodiacal
01-24-2003, 05:43 PM
welp I'm a little more picky. i want to be able to make svcds. its good right now to cut commercials and burn a 30 min show onto one cdr and i guess its ok to burn 1 hour shows onto 2 cdr's. but what i really want to do is transcode my shows to fit more onto a cd. not everyone has a dvdr yet... is the standard getting close to a set one? which is it going to be dvd-r or dvd+r?

Pr.Sinister
01-24-2003, 05:53 PM
if i use the -d option and drag it into nero to burn a svcd will it still remux (and bloat the file) because the audio is not the right format either?

Just turn off compliance and it won't transcode. It works great in my Apex AD-1200...As long as the audio is MPEG Layer II.

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
01-24-2003, 06:01 PM
welp I'm a little more picky. i want to be able to make svcds. its good right now to cut commercials and burn a 30 min show onto one cdr and i guess its ok to burn 1 hour shows onto 2 cdr's. but what i really want to do is transcode my shows to fit more onto a cd. not everyone has a dvdr yet... is the standard getting close to a set one? which is it going to be dvd-r or dvd+r?

If you want an hour show on 1 CD, you'll have to go to VCD
and not SVCD. To me, VCD is just crap. Unless i download
a movie from the net that's already VCD, i can tolerate.

I mux with -m -d -c and make multiple parts so i can fit on CD's.

I load up Nero, create SVCD, drag and drop the 1st file, turn off
compliance when it asks me, and burn.

Works like a charm.

-Pr.

Wooly
01-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Not to worry, we're good. I'm about a beer away from legally retarded, but not quite that bad!

I personally don't delete the .ty file, becuase I'm in it for the VOB's - I created that .bat file simply for those folks who wanted .mpg's and had trouble consistently entering commands via the dos prompt. I rem out the last 4 lines, thereby keeping the .tyk file along with everything else, and still allowing me to check the .mpg file for desired output (synch, correct cuts, etc.)

ACK! You do remember that to get the VOB stuff in there you need to keep the TyStream file right? Please tell me you didn't wipe out your archives of streams doing this...

--jdiner

zodiacal
01-24-2003, 06:05 PM
i would also like to transcode so i can put them on my pocket pc.

Wooly
01-24-2003, 06:06 PM
IFOEdit is the be-all of creating VOB's and IFO's from elemental streams. I have yet to find an easier or more stable method.

'course, you don't get menu's, but you can't have everything, now can you?!!

What tools do you know of that do this. I will stop working on VOBs and go back to compatibility if there is something that will really work with this. I would rather work where I can be effective that spin my wheel on the very expensively documented DVD stuff. $7k is what I read on a web site for DVD docs. Now thats a racket!

--jdiner

RxMan
01-24-2003, 06:24 PM
Hey Wooly,

I have been having audio problems with the gopeditor/tmpgenc/ifoedit method. Can you take a look at my thread?

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21334

Wooly
01-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Heck, I can do that now, and show anyone else how to do it - rather easy, actually.

Requires:

1. GOPEditor, Vsplit from Jdiner
2. IFOEdit v.96Beta1 (pay the $5, you cheap bastards!!!)
3. DVD Burner
4. Beer

Here's the steps:

1. Create the GOPEdit'd Mpg file
2. Demux it into .m2v and .m2a (or .ac3, if it's DD)
3. Open IFOEdit
4. DVD Author (at the top)
5. Hit the . box by video, put in the .m2v file
6. Hit the . box by video, put in the .m2a/.ac3 file
7. Highlight the .m2a/.ac3, put in the audio offset on the left
8. Link to a chapter file (more on this later)
9. If adding another title, hit Add Title at the top and repeat steps 5 thru 8
10. Select the destination directory
11. Hit Go

Drink beer

After it's done
12. quit IFO Edit, open IFO Edit, and load the VTS_01_1.IFO
13. Get VTS Sectors - hit okay until done
14. Save file

You now have a VIDEO_TS content folder, with each seperate .mpg being transformed into a Title, and chapters inside each Title. NO MENU's.

As for Chapters (thought I forgot, didn't you?) it's easy - look at the file I'm attaching (CellTimes.txt). Basically, you increment 1 digit for every frame. I've created a file that will give you a chapter every 5 minutes, so that gives you a CellTimes.txt file that looks like this:

and so on...

Questions? This is VERY easy. Just gives us no menu's...but easy.

--jdiner

Wooly
01-24-2003, 06:35 PM
You could dump it to a CellTimes.txt file, so it could be used in IFOEdit...

it's easy...reduces your headache...reduces national debt...

A LITTLE HUMOR, FOLKS...IT'S THE WEEKEND!!!

--jdiner

RxMan
01-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Wooly!!

I have beer!!! Just help me out in my thread.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21334

Pr.Sinister
01-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Ok... I see people are having a hard time making SVCD's
either because they can't figure out what command-line
arguments to use or they end up with a file too big to fit
on a CD.

I am attaching a batch file that does it all for you. All it needs
is the .ty file and the .cut file to have the same prefix filename.

What this file does is call vsplit to process the cut and the .ty
file and generate as many files needed no bigger than 650 megs.
The files will be named the same as the ty file but with (Part X)*
appended to it and an extension .mpg.

This is for regular Network TV Shows that have commercials in
the middle. If you want to use it for something from a Premium
Movie channel, take a look at the file and you'll figure out what
to edit. (Hint : change -l5500 to -l5200 and increment -j by 5200) ;)

I created a context menu for this on my computer and i only
have to right-click on a .ty file and select "Make Cuts" and i have
all my files done for me. If you don't know how to implement this,
let me know and i'll tell Jack to make a step-by-step tutorial and
put it up on his website again :D

If you use the command prompt, syntax is :

makecuts "My Favorite Show.ty"

* It would be My Favorite Show-(Part 1).mpg, My Favorite Show-(Part 2).mpg, etc...

Pr.Sinister
01-24-2003, 06:49 PM
When using Nero, make sure you TURN OFF COMPLIANCE
if it asks you (You can turn it off manually before) after you
drag-and-drop the resulting files in.

Then burn and try in your DVD Player. If it's one of the newer ones,
it should work just fine.

-Pr.

bfdhe
01-24-2003, 08:34 PM
[2. IFOEdit v.96Beta1 (pay the $5, you cheap bastards!!!)

Where are you getting IFOEdit v.96Beta1? I will happily pay the $5 but I am having trouble finding where to download it.

Nevermind.... I found it.

smartin
01-24-2003, 09:35 PM
Will there be a linux version? Please?

zodiacal
01-24-2003, 09:46 PM
i just used tmpgenc to transcode my vsplitmux2'ed mpg file and it worked perficlty. why are you guys saying you are having problems with this? my audio/video seems to be synced also..

TiVoByte
01-24-2003, 10:03 PM
[Requires:

1. GOPEditor, Vsplit from Jdiner
2. IFOEdit v.96Beta1 (pay the $5, you cheap bastards!!!)
3. DVD Burner
4. Beer

Here's the steps:

1. Create the GOPEdit'd Mpg file
2. Demux it into .m2v and .m2a (or .ac3, if it's DD)
3. Open IFOEdit
4. DVD Author (at the top)
5. Hit the . box by video, put in the .m2v file
6. Hit the . box by video, put in the .m2a/.ac3 file
7. Highlight the .m2a/.ac3, put in the audio offset on the left
8. Link to a chapter file (more on this later)
9. If adding another title, hit Add Title at the top and repeat steps 5 thru 8
10. Select the destination directory
11. Hit Go

Question, Question!!

Ok, I have used Tytools and IfoEdit to create un-edited DVD's with great success. The step I don't get is #2 Demux?? Do I use TMPENC? If so, can you point me to a brief tutorial? Don't know what to do with that widget.

I tried editing one show, it seems to work, but the MPG file plays a little funky, probably like others. I'll try more files...

Currently I have great DVD's with no trans-coding. I want that with edit. Is Demux just that and NOT trans-coding?

Thanks in advance

Soo close....

zodiacal
01-24-2003, 10:59 PM
when i try to transcode like this tho i get huge audio video sync problems.

Vsplitmux2 - s -m
dvd2avi creates me a .d2v and .mpa file
avisynth mpeg2dec.dll & mpasource.dll creates me a .avs
frame server into Cinnamacraft encoder. (real time encoding btw) but audio video is way off. how come? is this proccess Choping/cutting/etc as you were saying would cause a/v sync errors?

zodiacal
01-24-2003, 11:23 PM
do you know of a way off hand i can get my tystreem into Cinema Craft Encoder with out splitting with a 3rd party tool first?

homer08
01-24-2003, 11:46 PM
I was hoping that this new vsplit would do the trick since the old version couldn't handle it. I've recorded and extracted several times to make sure that it wasn't just a bad recording so now I'm sure that there is just something funky with this particular movie. I've had no trouble whatsoever with any other recorded movie that I've done. I get the output below (and much more) and then a "VSplitMux2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close...":

D:\DVD-VCD\work\ET>D:\DVD-VCD\Tools\Tivo_Extract\gopeditor4\VSplitMux2.exe -k et.ty et.key junk.m2a
Processing 'et.ty': (10 chunks per tick)
Detected Tivo Type: DTivo
Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II
Final standardAudioSize = 0
Final standardFrameLength = 0
Final standardAudioDiff = 6480 or 00:00:00.072
First Video PTS: 00:02:18.878

ZZZ: # 0 vid ( 4): 0 0 47 e0 30 1 38 e8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 1 vid ( 84): 0 5 42 e0 30 6c df 90 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 2 vid ( 4): 0 0 42 e0 30 1 38 ec 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 3 vid ( 8): 0 0 8c e0 30 1 38 f0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 4 vid ( 16): 0 1 6 e0 30 1 38 f8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
MUX1 Found the B3-B8 header block and the 1st PES header block I1-frame
MUX1 Video Embedded PES Header: (12499069) 00:02:18.878
ZZZ: # 5 vid ( 44448): a da 8 e0 30 6c e0 c 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 6 vid ( 4): 0 0 42 e0 30 1 39 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 7 2 ( 557184): 88 8 e 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 8 vid ( 16): 0 1 6 e0 30 1 39 c 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
MUX2 Now we have the almost full first packet (lead-in missing), and the header
for the B2-Frame...
MUX2 lead-in skip == 0
MUX2 PTS = 12499069 == 00:02:18.878
MUX2 Video Embedded PES Header: (12493063) 00:02:18.811
ZZZ: # 9 vid ( 4): 0 0 4b e0 30 1 39 1c 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 10 vid ( 4568): 1 1d 82 e0 30 6d 8d b0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 11 vid ( 4): 0 0 42 e0 30 1 39 20 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 12 2 ( 557184): 88 8 e 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 13 vid ( 16): 0 1 6 e0 30 1 39 24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
MUX Found the 3rd PES header block (B3-frame)
MUX3 there are 2 lead-in bytes for the P frame.
MUX2 Video Embedded PES Header: (12496066) 00:02:18.845
ZZZ: # 14 vid ( 4): 0 0 4b e0 30 1 39 34 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 15 vid ( 3932): 0 f5 c2 e0 30 6d 9f 8c 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 16 vid ( 4): 0 0 42 e0 30 1 39 38 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 17 2 ( 557184): 88 8 e 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 18 vid ( 16): 0 1 6 e0 30 1 39 3c 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
MUX Found the 4th PES header block (P4-frame) - We DO NOTHING with the data!
MUX2 Video Embedded PES Header: (12508078) 00:02:18.978
ZZZ: # 19 vid ( 4): 0 0 4a e0 30 1 39 4c 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 20 vid ( 6476): 1 94 c2 e0 30 6d ae ec 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 21 2 ( 557184): 88 8 e 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 22 vid ( 16): 0 1 6 e0 30 1 39 50 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
MUX5 Video Embedded PES Header: (12502072) 00:02:18.911
ZZZ: # 23 vid ( 4696): 1 25 8b e0 30 6d c8 38 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 24 vid ( 4): 0 0 42 e0 30 1 39 60 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 25 2 ( 557184): 88 8 e 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 26 vid ( 16): 0 1 6 e0 30 1 39 64 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 27 vid ( 4): 0 0 4b e0 30 1 39 74 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 28 vid ( 4060): 0 fd c2 e0 30 6d da 94 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 29 vid ( 4): 0 0 42 e0 30 1 39 78 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ZZZ: # 30 2 ( 557184): 88 8 e 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Wooly
01-24-2003, 11:47 PM
Demux - Using TMPGEnc is my personal favorite, but it's by no means the only way to slice that tomato. In TMPGEnc, go to File->Mpeg Tools, then Simple De-Multiplex. Self-explanatory from there, but be sure to change the audio extension from .mp2 to .m2a

All Demux does is to seperate out the .mpg into the elementary streams (i.e., Video and Audio). It doesn't transcode, you lose NOTHING in quality.

BTW, if the stream in question was originally DD 5.1, then in TMPGEnc it'll specify .ac3 as the audio stream. THIS IS CORRECT, do NOT change it to .m2a. Continue as normal.

Originally posted by TiVoByte
Ok, I have used Tytools and IfoEdit to create un-edited DVD's with great success. The step I don't get is #2 Demux?? Do I use TMPENC? If so, can you point me to a brief tutorial? Don't know what to do with that widget.

I tried editing one show, it seems to work, but the MPG file plays a little funky, probably like others. I'll try more files...

Currently I have great DVD's with no trans-coding. I want that with edit. Is Demux just that and NOT trans-coding?

Thanks in advance

Soo close....

rd001
01-25-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by sky12
The same Mpg that plays horrible on Media player 9 plays perfectly with PowerDVD....The codec MP9 is trying to use is "Intervideo Video Codec" (and the test I just ran in MP9 just blew it up)

Looks like the simple solution is bind .mpg to PowerDVD.Well, I read that Intervideo's codec is integral to the new Windows Media Center suite for entertainment appliances. There's some mention of Intervideo at Microsoft's web site for Windows Media Center computers. Since computers and even some DVD players, like the upcoming Apex MPEG4-capable units or in X-Box2, may end up supporting them, maybe we need to look closer. Of course, there is also the danger that if Palladium is implemented as desired, that no new player will play these disks.<br><br>

FWIW, I cut a five minute clip out of a one-hour show with GopEdit but not using any -j jump point to start from. I chopped the first 50 minutes and then chopped the last 5 minutes, leaving me with a five-minute clip. No audio sync problem in WMP 8 or in WinDVD 3.0. Audio sync seems fine in both. But something in WinDvd4/WMP9 appears to be different from the older versions. I think you're right to suspect the Intervideo codec which is associated with WinDvd 4 and their WinDvd Recorder and other products that all seem to fit into Microsoft's plans to produce a Media PC. On the Windows Media Center Partners page, Intervideo is acknowledged as contributing technology to Windows Media Center. So whatever that new Intervideo codec is, it's may be here to stay.

jdiner
01-25-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by koreth
One more opinion to throw into the mix: I don't care about loading streams into third-party editing tools -- getting the original, non-transcoded MPEG streams as small as can be (with commercial removal, which the GOP editor solves quite nicely) is the holy grail for me. As long as the eventual VOB-creation tool allows me to put a simple menu on a DVD (possibly with a third-party tool) I'll be happy.
I has some very cool ideas and a great deal of success with things today. While it won't be "hit one button" type of work to be done. There will in the not so distant future be a version of TyTool, probably have a new name then, that will walk you through all of the stages and make things very slick to do.

Using the tools I am playing around with I have everything that is needed to put 4+ episodes of things into a single video_ts directory and put it onto DVD.

I had to take some shortcuts with things manually to get that point. But the good news is the process worked for me. I will post more details as I flesh out the design for it all.

But bottom line it is going to work very well I think. Perhaps not with every feature people want but it will work well for people with this type of goal.

--jdiner

rd001
01-25-2003, 11:42 AM
There will in the not so distant future be a version of TyTool, probably have a new name then, that will walk you through all of the stages and make things very slick to do.

Using the tools I am playing around with I have everything that is needed to put 4+ episodes of things into a single video_ts directory and put it onto DVD.Me, me. I want 4+ episodes of things too.

I like hearing about a new TyTool. I'm so used to it and it's no-brainer buillt-in networking, I'm just to lazy even to try anything else. In short, you've spoiled me.

Any chance to build the key file on the Tivo using the Wndows client and then to extract only the relevant parts and send them straight to VOB? Just wishing... That would be pretty radical. Maybe it would take too long to make such a key file. Any chance to use the Tivo itself as a display for editing and use a GopEditor type client to do the extraction/chopping/vobbing in one step?

BTW, other people mention including chapter points in the GopEditor. If you do, maybe it could be the same interface with just a second tab control panel? The idea has a certain economy to it.

If fully user-definable chapter points is a little hairy, how about letting us enter a value in minutes (5 minutes per chapter, 10 minutes per chapter, etc.) and the VOB generator would just place the markers automatically at those intervals? It would be a very practical way to get chapter point functionality without you having to get all GUI (pun) with a visual interface.

Andy in NYC
01-25-2003, 12:35 PM
I record with the bitrate at 5800 - which makes things watchable.
My new JVC S500BK can't handle a rate that high.

I extracted an episode of Food TV's "Good Eats" and it was able to fit on a single CD and I burned as non-compliant SVCD.

Unfortunately my JVC choked on the audio and video playback to the point where my terribly expensive <g> blank CD is wasted.

The only thing I can get TMPGEnc Plus to do is a simple demux of the video/audio. When it completes that, it won't reload the files to re-encode.

I know that you're getting closer, jdiner, and this is more for some added info (I'm sure though that you're getting plenty of that) and support for your work. Aside from the 'geek' factor, my TurboNet card was explicitly to allow me to archive shows, and now I'm getting closer.

Andy in NYC

snoopy
01-25-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by rd001

I like hearing about a new TyTool. . [/B]

I second that!

I thought this was the primary goal to begin with. I might want to experiment with cutting commercials on down the line but currently, I would just like an easy way to pull off the tivo and burn to a fully compatable DVD.

rd001
01-25-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by snoopy
I thought this was the primary goal to begin with. I might want to experiment with cutting commercials on down the line but currently, I would just like an easy way to pull off the tivo and burn to a fully compatable DVD.I do like the part with GopEdit where you can chop off the beginning of the movie. I've had DVD's where I had to really fight or chop the credits to get two movies to fit on a DVD. Sometimes, there's 2-5 minutes of extra stuff on the beginning of a movie. So a visual way to chop it outside of Maestro is cool.

I'm not so sure about needing user-defined chapter points. Putting in automatic chapter points at 5-minute or ten-minute intervals or whatever is a practical solution. And it might be better overall than asking Josh to give us yet more editing features which he will have to support and maintain and debug. Simplicity has its virtues. The more things we ask him to add, the more chance of nasty bugs cropping up, of features fighting with each other, of incompatibility with other programs like Maestro which is currently the only thing that tolerates a tystream very well.

I extract shows with TYTool 5r2 as in two parts (audio/video).Elitist avante guarde snob. Real men use TyTool 4. :cool:

ArtS
01-25-2003, 01:23 PM
I just created the key file for a 4 hour Star Gate show and brought it into GopEditor. It just under 4.2GB

After a wonderfully enjoyable time editing out commercials, I noticed that the last 15 minutes of the show were gone.

I know that the original recording is complete, because I viewed the .m2v file produced by TyTool in a DVD player and it runs right to the 4 hour boundry.

- Anyone else working with files this large?

Rotten
01-25-2003, 02:30 PM
In the past I have been very successful reencoding the mpgs from JDs vsplitmux with TMPGenc. Now however when I produce a mpg with the GOP editor after a reencode the audio is very off. When opened in WinDVD it reports the mpg is the original length. Such as if you have a 30 min show and you cut 10 mins out you get a 20 min show. while all players I have report the total length is still 30 min. Does anyone know what is causing this because after rencoding it the audio is longer than the video. could this be related to FR. Any help would be appreciated. BTW I am using a directivo.

Thanks,

Pr.Sinister
01-25-2003, 02:37 PM
I record with the bitrate at 5800 - which makes things watchable.
My new JVC S500BK can't handle a rate that high.

I extracted an episode of Food TV's "Good Eats" and it was able to fit on a single CD and I burned as non-compliant SVCD.

Unfortunately my JVC choked on the audio and video playback to the point where my terribly expensive <g> blank CD is wasted.

The only thing I can get TMPGEnc Plus to do is a simple demux of the video/audio. When it completes that, it won't reload the files to re-encode.

I know that you're getting closer, jdiner, and this is more for some added info (I'm sure though that you're getting plenty of that) and support for your work. Aside from the 'geek' factor, my TurboNet card was explicitly to allow me to archive shows, and now I'm getting closer.

Andy in NYC

The -m -d option will work well for people using DTiVo. If you have
a SA TiVo, then you can change your bitrate to something more
suitable for SVCD (2620kbps) or just transcode to that bitrate.

Transcoding an SA TyStream is supposedly a piece of cake. At least
compared to DTiVo transcoding.

-Pr.

Andy in NYC
01-25-2003, 03:12 PM
The -m -d option will work well for people using DTiVo. If you have
a SA TiVo, then you can change your bitrate to something more
suitable for SVCD (2620kbps) or just transcode to that bitrate.

Transcoding an SA TyStream is supposedly a piece of cake. At least
compared to DTiVo transcoding.

-Pr.

I have an SA Tivo - I set my Tivo recording to a higher bitrate because they are much more 'viewable' that way. I don't always know what shows I'm going to keep, so setting the level to 'SVCD-friendly' levels doesn't work for me.

As I've said, I can't transcode the resultant .mpg file with TMPGEnc Plus anymore (I used to be able to, but with audio drift).

I guess I'm just going to have to wait for the next revision (I hope) unless you have any better information for me.

Andy in NYC

drapatin
01-25-2003, 03:28 PM
Jdiner
there tools are great! well worth any wait!

Guys:

I am curious about something.

I can edit and just drop my mpegs onto a dvd and play in my apex, but I wat to do more.. (I have more than one dvd player)

so I opened up a new project in TMPGE
I set it for output at 720x480 and under clipping used full frame.
So I could create a DVD I could play in my bedroom.

I noticed that I get about 1/6th more screen on top and bottom than if I were watching the video on the Tivo. I like this extra image info.

Obviously the tivo cuts off some image to present it on the TV.

For instance, the FOX logo on their TV shows is almost on the bottom edge of the screen when you are watching, but in my created video I have a LOT of extra image info underneath that.

I also get a lot more on TOP of their "TV 14" image. (at the top of the screen)

If I set TMPGE for "full screen" it seems to strech the image and if I do it at "full screen keep aspect ratio" it seems to looked squished. The "full screen keep aspect" is the same output as the regular mpeg I created with jdiners tools.. looks identical.

The streched image looks correct.
So if I create a 720x480 mpeg in the full aspect I will get all the extra image info.. butr I must be losing something since it was orginally 480x480 or am I just getting the strech?

I dont have a lot of extra DVD's today so I don't want to waste one.

which is the best way if I want to get all the extra image image info into a dvd compliant spec that can be played in my Non Apex player?

My assuption is that the tivo streches the image to fit the tv and it then looks normal. I guess the apex does that too to make it look normal..
is that right?

kyle
01-25-2003, 04:08 PM

and that is it. I.e. 1 chapter for the whole show. I still think putting it on an option is the best bet as some won't like that.

Even if your tool just spit out a text file with the chapter stops (i.e. cut points) on the new mpg file, that would be good--we could at least manually add them into any authoring program, and not have to scan through and find them again.

-Kyle

Pr.Sinister
01-25-2003, 05:05 PM
I have an SA Tivo - I set my Tivo recording to a higher bitrate because they are much more 'viewable' that way. I don't always know what shows I'm going to keep, so setting the level to 'SVCD-friendly' levels doesn't work for me.

As I've said, I can't transcode the resultant .mpg file with TMPGEnc Plus anymore (I used to be able to, but with audio drift).

I guess I'm just going to have to wait for the next revision (I hope) unless you have any better information for me.

Andy in NYC

Have you tried just using vsplit to get a .m2v and .m2a file, transcoding THAT with TMPGEnc then using something else like MPEG-VCR or M2-Edit to cut the excess fat?

-Pr.

zodiacal
01-25-2003, 08:21 PM
i tried burning a mpg i created with vsplitmux2 and played it in my apex 600a dvd player and the audio is all chopy and some times chops the video too. i didn't have nero reencod the svcd when i burned it. i just guess my apex doesn't like 33hz audio. it plays it , but just not well..

bascily i want to know is there a way to change my audio frequency with out messing up the audio/video sync?

jdiner
01-25-2003, 09:42 PM
i tried burning a mpg i created with vsplitmux2 and played it in my apex 600a dvd player and the audio is all chopy and some times chops the video too. i didn't have nero reencod the svcd when i burned it. i just guess my apex doesn't like 33hz audio. it plays it , but just not well..

bascily i want to know is there a way to change my audio frequency with out messing up the audio/video sync?
At the moment no. There is not. But I have some source from a fellow forum member to do just that.

--jdiner

zodiacal
01-25-2003, 10:30 PM
Coolness! i will use that feature defenlty. maybe an option for 44.1khz and 48khz?

whats the fastest way i can make a svcd with CCE? i have a mpeg2 file i would like to transcode.
this is how i do it now from my mpg that i get from vsplitmux2 and the a/v stays insync:
1.) create a tmpgenc project file .tpr from .mpg
2.) create frameserving .avi with VFAPIConv-EN.exe from .tpr file
3.) open .avi with CCE and encode as a SVCD.

is there a plugin for avisynth to open mpg2 files with audio & video with out remuxing?
anyone have a better idea?

justme
01-26-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by rc3105

it's not transcoding where sync is lost, it's using tmpgenc's mpeg tools (or other utils) to edit/chop/splice segments before transcoding / authoring.

If you use the TMPGEnc Tools on the original .m2a/m2v files, then yes, you will have problems. However, if your intent is to use TMPGEnc to transcode, you can cut commercials and stuff with the "cut editing" feature. This in found on the "Source range" page after you load your audio/video files. You can either cut a marked section out or mark the start/end of a movie and cut everything else out. As far as I can tell, this seems to be frame accurate. I have made well over 50 DVDs this way.

justme
01-26-2003, 02:45 AM
First off, thanks for the great tools and putting up with all the abuse you take over them.

Before I ask, let me explain what I am doing now. I use tytool5r2 in vsplit mode to extract. I then load up the m2a/m2v files in TMPGEnc and transcode to DVD spec. This is how I like to do it and it works fine for me.

The one thing that I can't seem to do using this method is to get the Dolby soundtrack, instead of the MPEG soundtrack. I understand that if I extract the tystream and use audiocheck, I can find the Dolby soundtrack and then use vsplit with the correct offset on the extracted tystream.

Is there any possibility of having tytool finding the Dolby audio and still allowing me to extract with vsplit mode, all in one go?

Or is there something that I am missing in what I am doing now?

Thanks a bunch.

Pr.Sinister
01-26-2003, 02:58 AM
Hey JD,

I'm not sure if you still check your best.com address so i am
posting a "bug" report here. I know you might say "why are you
using these options" but you'll understand after looking at my
batch file.

If i tell vsplit to start muxing at a certain chunk number, if that
chunk doesn't exist, vsplit usually exits with an error saying :

Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks...
Have to have at least that many to start the analysis phase...

But on certain files, it will accept that number no problem and
start muxing from the beginning of the file... Weird hun?

An example is my American Idol.ty file. It contains 14944 chunks
and if i say start at chunk #16470, it will start muxing at the
beginning of the file.

The reason why this is a problem for some of us is that we create
SVCD's and the mpeg file should be bigger than a CD. So i made
a batch file that uses the -j and -l option to automate this. But
some of them create too many files because of that "bug".

Check out the next message to see what the batch file does.

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
01-26-2003, 03:04 AM
The first version of my makecuts batch file had a little mistake
in it. A mistake that made the 3rd mpeg and on have the 1st
50 seconds missing. I have fixed that. Second, for some unknown
reason, the batch file started generating 2 errorlevels after
vsplit instead of just one. So i re-wrote the file to handle this.
I am still baffled by the fact that it was working fine before and
all of a sudden it would only create 1 file. Anyway.. Here is v2
of the file :

----------MakeCutsv2.bat----------
@Echo off
:part1
for %%l in (%1) do cd %%~dpl
for %%l in (%1) do (
Echo Muxing Part 1 of file to SVCD ...
vsplit -m -d -l5500 -c "%%~nl.cut" "%%~nxl" "%%~nl-(Part 1).mpg" "%%~nl.m2a" > :NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto part2
if errorlevel 0 goto exit
)
:part2
for %%l in (%1) do (
Echo Muxing Part 2 of file to SVCD ...
vsplit -m -d -j5490 -l5500 -c "%%~nl.cut" "%%~nxl" "%%~nl-(Part 2).mpg" "%%~nl.m2a" > :NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto part3
if errorlevel 0 del "%%~nl-(Part 2).mpg"
goto exit
)
:part3
for %%l in (%1) do (
Echo Muxing Part 3 of file to SVCD ...
vsplit -m -d -j10980 -l5500 -c "%%~nl.cut" "%%~nxl" "%%~nl-(Part 3).mpg" "%%~nl.m2a" > :NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto part4
if errorlevel 0 del "%%~nl-(Part 3).mpg"
goto exit
)

:part4
for %%l in (%1) do (
Echo Muxing Part 4 of file to SVCD ...
vsplit -m -d -j16470 -l5500 -c "%%~nl.cut" "%%~nxl" "%%~nl-(Part 4).mpg" "%%~nl.m2a" > :NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto part5
if errorlevel 0 del "%%~nl-(Part 4).mpg"
goto exit
)
:part5
for %%l in (%1) do (
Echo Muxing Part 5 of file to SVCD ...
vsplit -m -d -j21960 -l5500 -c "%%~nl.cut" "%%~nxl" "%%~nl-(Part 5).mpg" "%%~nl.m2a" > :NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto part6
if errorlevel 0 del "%%~nl-(Part 5).mpg"
goto exit
)
:part6
for %%l in (%1) do (
Echo Muxing Part 6 of file to SVCD ...
vsplit -m -d -j27450 -l5500 -c "%%~nl.cut" "%%~nxl" "%%~nl-(Part 6).mpg" "%%~nl.m2a" > :NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto part7
if errorlevel 0 del "%%~nl-(Part 6).mpg"
goto exit
)
:part7
for %%l in (%1) do (
Echo Muxing Part 7 of file to SVCD ...
vsplit -m -d -j32940 -l5500 -c "%%~nl.cut" "%%~nxl" "%%~nl-(Part 7).mpg" "%%~nl.m2a" > :NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto exit
if errorlevel 0 del "%%~nl-(Part 7).mpg"
)
:exit
Echo No more data to process...
Echo Exiting...
for %%l in (%1) do del "%%~nl.m2a"
----------MakeCutsv2.bat----------

lsmod
01-26-2003, 03:46 AM
Of course, the grail arrives in the middle of a week when I have customer sites going to pieces all over the place....

In any event, I'm finally getting some time to play with GopEditor. I've read the comments so far, and have some feedback.

First of all, this is fantastic. I'm thoroughly impressed with GopEditor, it's a godsend.

I'll agree with Howard, the sematics are backwards. I too cut my first all-commercial reel the first time I tried it.

To that point, if you were to offer these key bindings:

Play/Pause: [space]
Backward: J
Pause: K
Forward: L
Mark In: I
Mark Out: O
Next frame: [right arrow]
Last frame: [left arrow]

Then any experienced editor could probably use GopEditor without even thinking.

Also, if you really wanted to offer a killer tool for tweaking the edits, most editors have a way to play a loop around the edit point, with keys that slip the edit points (both the last out and the next in) frame by frame.

I've only cut a couple of shows, but so far the results are fantasic.

To tziko's point about shorter GOP's, doing I-frame synthesis is rocket science. I used to work for a company that did MPEG2 based devices for ad insertion (and statistical re-muxing), and I-frame synthesis was the Holy Grail. Everybody thought about doing it, nobody ever did. It's more than just buffering and pulling an I-frame when it's time, you have to recalculate B-frames as well. While it's technically possible without transcoding, it's a LOT of work.

Pr.Sinister
01-26-2003, 03:46 AM
if MakeCutsv1.bat still works for you, just take the -j values
from v2 to fix the 50 seconds missing starting at part3...

-Pr.

EDIT : I think i exagerated with the 50 seconds... it's probably
not that bad but still there were a few seconds missing...

artships
01-26-2003, 12:00 PM
As I've said, I can't transcode the resultant .mpg file with TMPGEnc Plus anymore

I'm not picking on Andy, here, nor do I have a solution for his specific problem. I just want to mention that on the TMPGEnc bulletinboard the consensus is that TMPGEnc is incompatible with Windows Mediaplayer 9. Do not install mediaplayer 9, as it contains codecs that cause tmpgenc to malfunction.

Now back to your regularly scheduled rants, already in progress...

mpauley
01-26-2003, 12:31 PM
jdiner--

I have a weird stream that Im trying to convert with now... If at anytime chunks 1695-1705 goes thru GopEditor4, it will crash. If I run the stream just thru vsplit, it processes fine. If you would like for me to upload this chunk please just let me know where.

Thanks for all your hardwork!

Mike

slideaway
01-26-2003, 01:27 PM
I burned a SVCD with 2 30min shows, cut, on a CD and played it in the DVD player (Sony). Picture and everything is great, just like watching on the Tivo but the audio, which is in sync, is slow. They're talking slow like the turtle in bugs bunny. R e a l S l o w.

I didn't do the -d during the mux for the SVCD after making my cuts, is that possibly why? Cause things are great except for the sound. Otherwise this tool has been great.

Andy in NYC
01-26-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by artships
As I've said, I can't transcode the resultant .mpg file with TMPGEnc Plus anymore

I'm not picking on Andy, here, nor do I have a solution for his specific problem. I just want to mention that on the TMPGEnc bulletinboard the consensus is that TMPGEnc is incompatible with Windows Mediaplayer 9. Do not install mediaplayer 9, as it contains codecs that cause tmpgenc to malfunction.

Now back to your regularly scheduled rants, already in progress...

I pick on Andy all the time :)

In this case, however, I have Media Player 6.4.09.1121 installed on my W2K machine (version installed by default off my CD)

I don't think this is my problem.

I do appreciate the input though, and any other suggestions are welcome - I'd love to solve this problem.

Andy in NYC

zodiacal
01-26-2003, 01:32 PM
how come vsplitmux2 crashs on some ty files?
vsplitmux2 -d -m -s my.ty my.mpg my.mpa

this works but every 3 .ty it will crash. any ideas? need the log? if so which part?

jdiner
01-26-2003, 02:02 PM
how come vsplitmux2 crashs on some ty files?
vsplitmux2 -d -m -s my.ty my.mpg my.mpa

this works but every 3 .ty it will crash. any ideas? need the log? if so which part?
It has a bug somewhere? Come one this is like going into the doctor and only saying "it hurts"... And expecting help.

--jdiner

bronco13
01-26-2003, 02:45 PM
I wanted to throw out a couple of questions regarding the IFOEdit method.

1.) When you split the edited .mpg back into its elementary streams will the vob have no sound if you chose the wrong audio type when splitting? Meaning if the audio was 5.1 and you failed to choose ac3...

2.) If this is not the case then what is causing the vobs (for some people) to not have any sound...

3.) If you do have 5.1 then will ALL of the streams be in 5.1 or only the ones sent in 5.1? Do I have to somehow determine what the audio on the stream is?

See where I'm going with this?...

Fugg
01-26-2003, 03:04 PM
woops!

ibsleepn
01-26-2003, 06:00 PM
Gotta question on the gop editor.

When I use vsplitmux2 then the gop editor to cut the begining and ending of a movie then vsplitmux2 to mux to a mpg. I still have to head fake spruce up to load it but it says the mpg has gop errors right from the begining. I tried leaving the first chunck in the file but it still errored right at the begining. But if I just use tytoolr2 to split the file and inport into Spruce (via head fake) the file loads fine? This has happend with all the ty files that i have tried. Really like the editor but dont know what i am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

I mainly do movies and right now just use chapter points at the begining of the movie to skip over the junk but would like to be able to cut it out. thanks..

Billy Joe Bob
01-26-2003, 06:08 PM
The first version of my makecuts batch file had a little mistake
in it. A mistake that made the 3rd mpeg and on have the 1st
50 seconds missing. I have fixed that. Second, for some unknown
reason, the batch file started generating 2 errorlevels after
vsplit instead of just one. So i re-wrote the file to handle this.
I am still baffled by the fact that it was working fine before and
all of a sudden it would only create 1 file. Anyway.. Here is v2
of the file :

Sinister Thanks a bunch..

I have a question - why does it only do 28 Mins per CD ??
I've copied DVD's to SVCD and I usually get 50-60 mins on a cd ??
I'm trying to copy a PPV of scooby doo and it needs 7 cds for about 118 minute of the movieI also want to do some Cartoons for the kids... thanks...
BJB...

Pr.Sinister
01-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Billy Joe Bob
Sinister Thanks a bunch..

I have a question - why does it only do 28 Mins per CD ??
I've copied DVD's to SVCD and I usually get 50-60 mins on a cd ??
I'm trying to copy a PPV of scooby doo and it needs 7 cds for about 118 minute of the movieI also want to do some Cartoons for the kids... thanks...
BJB...

Well it's because of the high bitrate of the PPV movie i would guess. What my batch file does is create files with a maximum
of 5500 chunks which is just under 700 megs. But with the cuts,
it gets smaller than that. For a PPV Movie, what i would do is
get the size of the file, then the number of chunks (filesize / 131072) and then figure out how many chunks make up 650 megs. Then you can adjust the batch file to those values or create a new batch file specifically for PPV's...

I will tape a PPV tonight after Tampa Bay wins the Super Bowl
and will try it for myself... I'll let you know what i figure out.

Also, there is a bug in vsplit where if you give a chunk number out of range, it starts muxing from the beginning. So check out your files and make sure it's not just 4 files... maybe the last 3 are repeated.

-Pr.

jdiner
01-26-2003, 06:50 PM
In order to make the svcd'ers here happy I dug in an tried to do it with the code I got from someone else and I got what I was trying to do to work.

However in doing so I realized quickly that what i was trying to do will not work in the long run. I made some seriously wrong assumptions...

The long and the short of it is that there is a calculation used to determine how big an audio record should be. It is:

size = 1152 * Bytes/Sec
----------------------
Samples/sec

So at the standard settings for the DTivo 48,000 as the sampling rate and 160 kbps for the bites/sec and 1152 as the mpeg-2 defined standard for samples per presentation unit you get 480 bytes per record. Which is correct from the observed data. Other sizes happen because the audio sampling rate can also be 192kps.

When trying to transcode the audio from 1 to the other, especially for the SA Tivo users, this means that things should change size. For one of my test clips I needed to go from 24,000 for the bytes/sec to 33,075 bytes/sec. This would leave the sizes the same from 1 format to the next. But that is not possible due to how the above calculation is done.

We can't change the 1152 that is part of the spec. We can't change the 44,100 that is part of the VCD/SVCD spec. So I had thought we could change the bytes/sec... You can't It is determined by the sampling rate.

So what happens it 1 input record turns into 1 and 1/x output records. Which is fine. But this means that the code that was using the timestamps to maintain perfect sync during the mux'ing stage now can't. Because the input timestamps no longer apply. I.e. after a certain point, and it is early on, I can't determine where in the buffer the latest data starts.

So in a bit more dtail here you go:

At 32,000 samples per second on an SA Tivo we get 36ms in each recorded chunk.

At 44,100 we are closer to 29ms and at 48,000 (like on a DTivo we are at 24ms).

I was getting 1 record for audio and hoping to get a discreet number of them back. I.e. it is fine if it is 2 records but I wanted a known 1-to-x relationship.

With video this is easily done. Mainly because it is discreet. This is all of 1 frame and this is all of another etc... But with audio this is not the case. You can start and end anywhere within it as it as long as you are encoding right. I.e. put the needle on a record player down in the middle. Perfectly legal you just don't get all of the recording.

The problem is that this means the timestamps I have no longer apply. So if we have a hole in the data it is lost. Since I am cutting to get rid of commercials and this means making holes this is a very bad thing.

I can still work around it. But it is much more problematic. One of the things I was thinking is that I could push the transcoding off until later in the stream. Get only the segments I want and at the very end transcode and write them out. The problem is that large holes are easy to catch but small holes are not. Basically this is going to take more time than I want to give it right now. I had just thought it would be easier to slip in than this...

--jdiner

zodiacal
01-27-2003, 02:14 AM
by making the log file insted of using > nul it stoped crashing vsplitmux2 coolness! Thank you! :)

RxMan
01-27-2003, 10:01 AM
Coolness??

Is that from the 80s or early 90s?

Wow, heven't heard that one in a LONG time.

hancocks
01-27-2003, 10:19 AM
jdiner,

Feature request:

Scroll bar which extends the width of the screen to (greatly) increase granularity when dragging the frame position...

Tx,

- Stu

Wooly
01-27-2003, 11:20 AM
1. Let's assume that the original .ty file was 5.1 audio. If you split the edited .mpg out into streams and import the .m2 into IFOEdit instead of the .ac3, then you would indeed have no audio. BUT...this should be immediately apparent that you've done something wrong, as you'd be using an .m2a file that is 0 byte (or very close).

2. I don't know, I'd need to see the DVD structure you created in order to tell you that (I think I offered to do so for someone..either by snail mail or by FTP download).

3. Each VTS set needs to be one standard audio standard (the type of audio is defined in the .ifo). Hence the need for something like Spruce for mixed sets (simply because it'll split the set up into a menu structure, and therefore a set of VTS IFO sets).

Here's what a non-menu DVD structure would look like, with, say, 2 chapters, each chapter being a 1 hour MacGyver:

VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB

Now, here's what a Menu'd DVD structure would look like, with 2 1-hour MacGyver's:

VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.VOB <--NEW
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_02_0.IFO <--NEW
VTS_02_0.BUP <--NEW
VTS_02_1.VOB <--NEW

Note the differences - a VTS_01_0.VOB file (which is the menu, whether it be a simple picture with icons or something animated, all the same) and the addition of a VTS_02*** set.

The VTS_**_0.ifo/.bup is what defines the video, audio, and chapters (along with a host of other information). That header information tells the DVD player what format to display everything in - think of it as the road map to the DVD.

Go into IFOEdit and look at these files, and you'll get a hang for what is what. It's much more complex that what I've described here, but for more in-depth information I'd suggest going to http://www.doom9.net and reading up on IFOEdit.

I wanted to throw out a couple of questions regarding the IFOEdit method.

1.) When you split the edited .mpg back into its elementary streams will the vob have no sound if you chose the wrong audio type when splitting? Meaning if the audio was 5.1 and you failed to choose ac3...

2.) If this is not the case then what is causing the vobs (for some people) to not have any sound...

3.) If you do have 5.1 then will ALL of the streams be in 5.1 or only the ones sent in 5.1? Do I have to somehow determine what the audio on the stream is?

See where I'm going with this?...

RxMan
01-27-2003, 11:55 AM
This audio thing has me baffled. The .ty files that I have tried were not in DD. I just picked regular stuff. There really in'st much info related to this at doom9.
Is it not as basic as splitting the file with TMPGEnc and then combining it back? I used simple demux on TMPGEnc and changed no other settings. Then used 'author dvd' on IFOEdit and simply selected the 2 files that TMPGEnc produced and hit run. Then I did the last step of VTS (or whatever).

Do I need to be worried about other settings on either program?

RxMan
01-27-2003, 12:01 PM
Wooly,

Maybe I could take a 30 min show and make a bunch of cuts to get the file down to a reasonable size. Then send it to you for you to try. I would try as well. :)

zeek
01-27-2003, 03:24 PM
(I think I offered to do so for someone..either by snail mail or by FTP download).

Hey Wooly-
I posted links to the requested files in the other thread...

video_ts.bup (http://zeek.dynip.com/DVD/video_ts/video_ts.bup)
vts_01_0.bup (http://zeek.dynip.com/DVD/video_ts/video_ts.ifo)
vts_01_0.bup (http://zeek.dynip.com/DVD/video_ts/vts_01_0.bup)
vts_01_0.ifo (http://zeek.dynip.com/DVD/video_ts/vts_01_0.ifo)
vts_01_1.vob (http://zeek.dynip.com/DVD/video_ts/vts_01_1.vob)
vts_01_2.vob (http://zeek.dynip.com/DVD/video_ts/vts_01_2.vob)

Here's the thread! (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21334)

tia,
zeek

hom3l3ss
01-27-2003, 04:43 PM
has any of you guys successfully import a .mpg file cut by jdiner's GOPeditor on Spruceup? or any dvd authoring program to make dvd menu's?

Billy Joe Bob
01-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Also, there is a bug in vsplit where if you give a chunk number out of range, it starts muxing from the beginning. So check out your files and make sure it's not just 4 files... maybe the last 3 are repeated.

-Pr.
I have only 2 cuts in the movie (Scooby Doo) small one at the start and a larger one at the end. I changed the "L" value in your batch file to 6300. Nero reports the file to be just about 718 megs and it's 32 mins of video in SVCD and I ignored the Compliance nag... but I still got 7 parts... 4,5 & 6 were dups of 1 and 7 goes I think between 3 & 4... I'm now going to burn a few disks and set up 2 TV's and figure this out... I'll keep you posted.. TIA.... BJB

Billy Joe Bob
01-27-2003, 07:40 PM

-Pr.

O.K. now i've gotten some where.. 7 files.. 1,2,3, are the movie..
4,5,6 are dups of 1. File 7 is missing the first 2 minutes from file 1 (starts 2 minules into the movie -??) file 2 overlaps 1 by 3 minutes and 3 overlaps 2 by 5 minutes...
Can you help me on how to lessen the overlaps ???

Thanks verry much...
BJB

Having the kids at home made putting the movie together a snap....

Pr.Sinister
01-27-2003, 07:58 PM
O.K. now i've gotten some where.. 7 files.. 1,2,3, are the movie..
4,5,6 are dups of 1. File 7 is missing the first 2 minutes from file 1 (starts 2 minules into the movie -??) file 2 overlaps 1 by 3 minutes and 3 overlaps 2 by 5 minutes...
Can you help me on how to lessen the overlaps ???

Thanks verry much...
BJB

Having the kids at home made putting the movie together a snap....

OK... here is how it should work if you are using -l6300.

Part 1 should have -l6300
Part 2 should have -j6290 -l6300
Part 3 should have -j12580 -l6300
Part 4 should have -j18880 -l6300
etc...

This way you just need files 1,2 and 3 and that should
be your whole movie. If the movie is 2 hours, then probably
you will have parts 1,2,3 and 4.

In case you don't get the math for -j, here's the "formula"

(-j) = (previous value of -j) + (value of -l) - 10

The reason for the -10 is to have about 2-3 seconds overlapping
from the previous part so you are sure not to miss anything
when you change disks.

-Pr.

Billy Joe Bob
01-28-2003, 12:28 PM
(-j) = (previous value of -j) + (value of -l) - 10
-Pr.

Sinister,

I changed the values for l and had a brain-fart and fogot to change the "J" values (kids were nagging me)...

I've changed them everything looks good... Thanks ....

Now is there a way to fit more than 34 mins on a SVCD ??

TIA

BJB

jdiner
01-28-2003, 02:03 PM
Ok. I failed to notice that I had left in the ZZZ: debug output in this version of vsplit. It was just something for me and of little use to anyone else.

So here is a version that has it removed. That is all tha has changed in this version of vsplit.

So Mux2a just a cleaner output.

--jdiner

Hobby
01-28-2003, 02:45 PM
I recorded the Superbowl Sunday night to do the exact opposite of what we usually do. I want to make a DVD of just the commercials (the game sucked - so why save it?).

I made my key file and cut list just fine but the resulting MPG has a serious audio sync issue.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

BTW - I've had success in taking the MPG - importing that into Movie Shaker - Exporting as a higher resolution MPG (The file is now a 720 x 480)- Demux with TPMGEnc. The M2V & MP2 files will be accepted just fine with DVDMaestro and authoring the DVD is now a snap.

Hobby

RxMan
01-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Hobby,

That is awesome. I'm not sure if anyone else has been able to do much with the resulting mpeg (authoring). How long does the MovieShaker process take? Any idea where I could get a copy? I searched the net and came up with nothing,.

slideaway
01-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Is this the program your talking about Hobby or is there something else?

http://www.sony-ae.com/vaio/movieshaker.htm

I'd like to try this Movie Shake out that your talking about.

Hobby
01-28-2003, 04:40 PM
RxMan

I have a new Sony Vaio (2.2 GHz Pentium 4 Processor with 120 Gig Hard Drive).

The file I was Importing/Exporting through Movie Shaker was Approzimately 1.1 Gig. It took about 5 Minutes to import and about 1-1/2 Hours to export.

I don't know where to get a copy - This software came with the vaio and I believe it comes with all vaios that have a dvd burner. I wouldn't mind getting you a copy but I'm not sure how - this software was factory installed and backup copies aren't sent with the CPU.

If you have any ideas, I'd be glad to give it a try.

slideaway

You've got it, that's the one.

BTW - the export took about 1-1/2 hours because I Exported on the highest quality I could. If I chose not to increase the resolution it would have taken considerably less time.

also, any ideas how to solve the audio sync issues?

Hobby

dlang
01-28-2003, 04:48 PM
still eagerly waiting for a linux version (just a reminder)

jdiner
01-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by dlang
still eagerly waiting for a linux version (just a reminder)
Thanks to the donated Linux site and it's maintainer... :) I got access again so here is a linux version for those that wanted it. Rather than repost everything I am just putting up a seperate zip file that contains only the linux version of vsplitmux2.

--jdiner

dlang
01-28-2003, 05:19 PM
thanks!!!

Wooly
01-28-2003, 07:48 PM
No need - you got me thinking about some things, and I went through a couple of files, trying to recreate your issue - and I was sucessful. Unfortunately.

Edit the .ty. Create the .mpg. .mpg plays just fine in PowerDVD, no weirdness. DeMux it. No problem, video shows up fine as a stream, audio plays fine as a stream. Go into IFOEdit, go to create a DVD, and BAM, POW, WAMMO, there's no auto-detection of the Audio type. I'm killing myself to figure out the problem, and I realize that Jdiner's vsplit -m option has somehow created an audio problem in that the header is un-recognizable by IFOEdit. THIS IS WHY you have no audio. Now, we need to review the Audio file for the reason why.

I found out, however, that if the file is run through BeSweet and transcoded, the original audio file has several MP2 errors in it along with a strange header I've never seen before that is apparently an illegal header. BTW, here's the BeSweet command you'll need:

"C:\AV\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "f:\Work\Stargate SG-1 - Smoke and Mirrors.ty.mp2" -output "f:\Work\Stargate SG-1 - Smoke and Mirrors Edited.ty.mp2" ) -azid( -c light -L -3db --maximize ) -ssrc( --rate 48000 ) -2lame( -m j -b 224 -e )

As you can see, the file I used is "Stargate SG-1 - Smoke and Mirrors.ty.mp2". run your audio .mp2 file through this command before running IFOEdit and you'll be golden shower.

Josh, I have both the original .mp2 file and the corrected .mp2 file if you wanna review them. Lemme know how to get them to you. They're 70 megs each. Following this process provides sync every time in my experiments. I don't see a large quality loss either. Clearly, this is NOT a permanent solution, but rather a stop-gap. Remember, folks, we are dealing with Beta code here so everyone help Jdiner out with this.

Originally posted by zeek
Hey Wooly-
I posted links to the requested files in the other thread...

video_ts.bup (http://zeek.dynip.com/DVD/video_ts/video_ts.bup)
vts_01_0.bup (http://zeek.dynip.com/DVD/video_ts/video_ts.ifo)
vts_01_0.bup (http://zeek.dynip.com/DVD/video_ts/vts_01_0.bup)
vts_01_0.ifo (http://zeek.dynip.com/DVD/video_ts/vts_01_0.ifo)
vts_01_1.vob (http://zeek.dynip.com/DVD/video_ts/vts_01_1.vob)
vts_01_2.vob (http://zeek.dynip.com/DVD/video_ts/vts_01_2.vob)

Here's the thread! (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21334)

tia,
zeek

hancocks
01-28-2003, 09:32 PM
Wooly,

What did you demux with? I've run only one test, to be sure, but with TMPGEnc doing the simple demux and then pulling them back into IFOEdit (0.96b1), it ran perfectly. With audio.

SA
Tytool5
GOPEdit4
TMPGEnc
IFOEdit

- Stu

RxMan
01-28-2003, 10:08 PM
I still haven't solved this audio issue either.

Stu,
Did you cut of the 1st part of the file in GOPEdit? Did you cut off the end? I don't think any of this matters.

I have tried about 5 times and either got a folder that had video and no audio or it would just completely crash IfoEdit when I tried to merge.

Could you list out each step including the command lines for Tytool and GOPEdit4?

I use -k to get the key. Edit it with Gop then use -m -c to make the mpeg with the cuts.

I just noticed that vsplitmux2 produced a key file (which is fine) and a 0kb m2a file. Maybe all of the problems start there.
One last thing. In TMPGENc I get a m2v file and a mpeg audeo file.

I use simple demux with TMPGENc and then author dvd with IfoEdit.

No luck at all.

01-28-2003, 11:03 PM
I just burned a movie with no audio. Movie plays fine on computer. I deleted beginning and ending of the movie. IFOEDIT has this message:

estimated multiplexed stream data rate 15234800
Valid DVD program-mux rate 10080000
Computed program mux-rate exceeds DVD spec

Pr.Sinister
01-28-2003, 11:08 PM
I still haven't solved this audio issue either.

Stu,
Did you cut of the 1st part of the file in GOPEdit? Did you cut off the end? I don't think any of this matters.

I have tried about 5 times and either got a folder that had video and no audio or it would just completely crash IfoEdit when I tried to merge.

Could you list out each step including the command lines for Tytool and GOPEdit4?

I use -k to get the key. Edit it with Gop then use -m -c to make the mpeg with the cuts.

I just noticed that vsplitmux2 produced a key file (which is fine) and a 0kb m2a file. Maybe all of the problems start there.
One last thing. In TMPGENc I get a m2v file and a mpeg audeo file.

I use simple demux with TMPGENc and then author dvd with IfoEdit.

No luck at all.

I reported this a while ago and don't know if josh got my e-mails. There are some Ty streams that vsplit can't find the audio header for. If you take that ty stream, run it through vsplitmux but without muxing and cutting, you will still get no audio. Take a look at the log and it will say that it couldn't find the audio header. I have 3 tyfiles that exhibit this problem. When i tried to up them to the site for josh, the site was down so i dunno if anyone else had a chance to up some test streams.

What you need to do is use the -j option until vsplitmux can find an audio header. One particular file, i had to jump 200 chunks to find the audio but another one i had to jump only 8 chunks.

Try that and let us know...

RxMan
01-28-2003, 11:22 PM
OK. I will give that a try. However, the last show I did. Produced an mpeg with in sync audio and video. My attempts with TMPGENc and IFOEdit with the same file failed.

Billy Joe Bob
01-28-2003, 11:58 PM
Can anyone recommend a better CD burning software than Nero?
I've tried 4 different versions all with the same problem.

I created the mpg file and it runs excellent on the PC with Power DVD but when I burn it the audio is off....

I've done this now 11 different ways all the same results...

Anything better than Nero???

TIA

BJB

bronco13
01-29-2003, 02:50 AM
What version of Nero are you using???

I'm not sure that Nero is your problem...

otakucode
01-29-2003, 07:26 AM
Your problem is not Nero, it is tytool/vsplit. Try extracting with tytool as a TY file and then splitting with tydemux instead and you will have sync.

OtakuCODE

hancocks
01-29-2003, 08:41 AM
jdiner,

Curious about the keyframes...these are frames inherent to the .ty stream, yes? No?

My question is this: would it be possible to insert keyframes (or some sort of synchronization marker) with far greater granularity (knowing that this would increase, at least temporarily, some file sizes) at certain points in the stream? Of course, this would require some operator supervision. My thinking was this: since it is not (now) possible to make cuts between keyframes, would it be possible to (somehow...as they say in the business, "and here a miracle occurs") add these (or something temporary) to allow for more granular edits AT CERTAIN POINTS? By that I mean the places where commercials come in and go out and the keyframes don't line up in quite the right place. See where I'm going with this? (Besides straight to hell.)
Realize that this would not exactly be high up the priority food chain...just wondering.
A much easier add which I would like to have is a stop/start timer (perhaps another flag option?) to the vsplitmux tool to show elapsed time at the end of the operation (I don't usually sit around and time these by hand, so I'm more curious than anything about processing times on various machines).

Thanks,

- Stu

hancocks
01-29-2003, 08:44 AM
rxman,

Don't recall if I hacked off the front -- I'll check. I suspect it won't make a difference, either.

I'll go do some additional testing. Interesting...I don't recall getting an mpeg extension on my audio stream from the TMPGEnc demuxing...thought it was something else. I'll get back to you on this.

- Stu

Wooly
01-29-2003, 09:35 AM
We're close:

Dtivo
TyTool5
GOPEdit4
TMPGEnc
IFOEdit 0.96b1

Remember, the product from SA's is VERY VERY different from the product from Dtivo's (both video and audio).

Originally posted by hancocks
Wooly,

What did you demux with? I've run only one test, to be sure, but with TMPGEnc doing the simple demux and then pulling them back into IFOEdit (0.96b1), it ran perfectly. With audio.

SA
Tytool5
GOPEdit4
TMPGEnc
IFOEdit

- Stu

Wooly
01-29-2003, 09:53 AM
Those are normal IFOEdit logs - the part you're looking for is the audio section, which is at the very beginning - if it isn't there, then there's no valid audio detected. A normal section looks like this:

Video stream: 0xE0
Frame size: 480 x 480
Picture rate: 29.970 fps
Bit rate: 2520000 bps
Vbv buffer size: 114688 bytes

Mpeg audio stream: 0xC0
Audio version : 2.0
Layer : 3
CRC Checksums : yes
Bit rate : 44100 Hz
....and so on

if you don't see something similar to that audio section, then there's no audio (either because you didn't specify it or the .m2a/.ac3 file wasn't something that IFOEdit can use).

Originally posted by newbie
I just burned a movie with no audio. Movie plays fine on computer. I deleted beginning and ending of the movie. IFOEDIT has this message:

estimated multiplexed stream data rate 15234800
Valid DVD program-mux rate 10080000
Computed program mux-rate exceeds DVD spec

hancocks
01-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Wooly,

Yup, ran two more tests, and they both ran perfectly. Right now I'm imagining you're correct -- if I had to make a call at this point, it would be the SA/DTivo stream differences are creating the issue. Unfortunately, I don't have a DTivo, so I can't test from that side.

Anyone with both types able and/or willing to do a side-by-side?

- Stu

Pr.Sinister
01-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Can anyone recommend a better CD burning software than Nero?
I've tried 4 different versions all with the same problem.

I created the mpg file and it runs excellent on the PC with Power DVD but when I burn it the audio is off....

I've done this now 11 different ways all the same results...

Anything better than Nero???

TIA

BJB

What DVD Player are you using? Are you creating menus?

If you have an Apex AD-1200 and you create a menu on the
SVCD, audio will be off... It's an Apex bug...

-Pr.

01-29-2003, 10:08 AM
I checked IFOedit didn't show any audio information. The mpg file played fine on my computer. I used TMPGEnc to do a simple De-Multiplex on the good mpg file. I specified the audio and video file. I'll go back through my steps and see if I did anything wrong.

Wooley--I found a post from you on another thread. I guess my audio file is NG.

rpongett
01-29-2003, 09:58 PM
jdiner:

I'd like to thank you for your efforts and note that they've done some small tangible good (other than letting us rewatch Simpsons reruns and the like).

My sister has guest starred (roles with one minute spots) on various sitcoms over the past year (Scrubs, 8 Simple Rules, Yes Dear) and done some commericals. Obviously, small time stuff so far. But your tytool5r2 with vsplit has allowed me to put together some DVDs with Maestro with high quality video (best I can do since its DirecTVs digital feed).

So far, I've downloaded the ty file "part" of the show she's been in, created a chapter of her specific scene through Maestro and then created menu jumps to those chapters. Shockingly (to me), this is far more than most other people vying for these size TV roles put together, so its starting to become a nice tool for her with agents and casting people. Except when pushing bigtime clients, agents don't really do anything except send around resumes to friendly casting personnel and snort low quality blow.

Thanks for putting together the tools to permit me to create those DVDs. Maybe someday, if we can ever find an app that directly imports VOBs and creates menus, I can speed the process up using your (eventual) edited VOB creating tool. Even without that, I've gotten the job done with tytool5r2 and Maestro.

hancocks
01-29-2003, 10:43 PM
rpongett,

(Off-topic)

I'm going off to bed laughing at your line "...and snort low-quality blow."

Made my night, thanks...

- Stu

jdiner
01-30-2003, 04:24 AM
For the HDVR2 here it is:

tserver_mfs

no pri1 on this code. I need to figure out what changed and get it working again. After a quick look it looks like the standard priority setting stuff will work. If it does then it should be quick to get a nice low priority version out.

--jdiner

Andy in NYC
01-30-2003, 09:11 PM
I reinstalled TMPGEnc after doing a clean W2K install. I installed the MSI DVD player software which came with my G4 Ti4200.

Checking the environment variables, an MPEG-2 decoder isn't present per TMPGEnc - hence the errors I'm receiving trying to transcode my Tivo files.

Sorry for all the huff.

As a side note, does anyone know what files I need to pull off my old cannibalized Dell which has PowerDVD but no install CD? I'd love to have the MPEG-2 from it without causing any side effects or having to purchase a copy just to use TMPGEnc.

Thanks, and sorry again for all my 'troubles'.

Andy

Pr.Sinister
01-30-2003, 10:46 PM
I reinstalled TMPGEnc after doing a clean W2K install. I installed the MSI DVD player software which came with my G4 Ti4200.

Checking the environment variables, an MPEG-2 decoder isn't present per TMPGEnc - hence the errors I'm receiving trying to transcode my Tivo files.

Sorry for all the huff.

As a side note, does anyone know what files I need to pull off my old cannibalized Dell which has PowerDVD but no install CD? I'd love to have the MPEG-2 from it without causing any side effects or having to purchase a copy just to use TMPGEnc.

Thanks, and sorry again for all my 'troubles'.

Andy

It would probably be easier to just get the Nimo Codec Pack
or the Ace Mega Codecs Pack. I can't remember where i got the
Ace one but the Nimo one can be downloaded HERE (http://www.softnews.ro/public/cat/11/2/2/11-2-2-12.shtml)

AlphaWolf
01-30-2003, 11:09 PM
jdiner: wheres the latest source for tserver?

mrblack51
01-31-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf

its not publically available last i checked.

AlphaWolf
01-31-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by mrblack51
its not publically available last i checked.

Actualy probably don't need it anyways, embeem informed me that mfs_export already included what I was looking for.

zodiacal
02-01-2003, 11:42 AM
so if 3rd party muxers mess up the a/v sync. would avisynth be doing this? mpg2dec.dll & mpasource.dll in an .avs file.

jdiner
02-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf

It hasn't changed, it has just been recompiled.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Alright. TyTool5r3 has been posted. The most notable fix in it is for the issues with networking under NT/200/xp...

You can find it and a slightly longer explanation in the standard sticky thread in this forum.

--jdiner

P.S. welp TyTool5r4 is not making the rounds too. It fixes the directory not existing crashes.

jdiner
02-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Alright. The output of the vsplit mux'er now works in the ZoomPlayer. Many people indicated that it has problems before. Those seem to be resolved... Now it is just time to check the latest output against Microsoft's Media Player.

--jdiner

jasonb
02-04-2003, 04:07 AM
I'm usually use Version: jdiner 2.01 Alpha #13
but I've just tried the new one:
Version: jdiner 2.01 Alpha #13c - mux2a

The error I get is:
Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks...

At first I thought it was an isolated problem with one of my recordings because only 1 of the 30 or 40 ive tried has given this problem. But I just tried another one and got the same thing. The odd thing about these two is that there is only 1 fsid passed to mfs_stream where all my other recordings have more than 1. I don't know the significance (if any) but that is the only obvious correlation i noticed.

Any advice? I don't know off hand how to verify that I'm extracting good data which I'm passing to vsplit, except that every other recording has vsplit perfectly.

Jason

(sorry, forgot to mention: tivo is a SA series 1 philips)

dlang
02-04-2003, 04:33 AM
usually that error means that the shows were encrypted by the tivo before you downloaded them.

Andy in NYC
02-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by dlang
usually that error means that the shows were encrypted by the tivo before you downloaded them.

Encryption is only an issue with DTivo's, I believe. Jasonb has a Series I SA.

This is another problem - but I can't tell you what.

Andy

jdiner
02-04-2003, 01:55 PM
I have no idea what wold be going on. Does the older version of vsplit still work on the files you are having problems with on the mux2a version?

If so something might have gotten messed up.. It is just that the code that deals with that part of things has not changed in a long long time.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Awhile back some people mentioned audio issues with mux'ing a few things. This is kind of wierd to me. I never see them here. I was busy enough on other things that I left this problem alone at the time.

If anyone still has the problem streams and can cut me a segment let me know and I will see what I can do to get a fix in place.

--jdiner

jasonb
02-04-2003, 02:05 PM
nope. both give same results. its not a question of size either, cause one of them is 450meg and the other is 2.5gb.

I can put part or whole thing up so you can take a look if you want.

thanks for checking this out

jdiner
02-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by jasonb
nope. both give same results. its not a question of size either, cause one of them is 450meg and the other is 2.5gb.

I can put part or whole thing up so you can take a look if you want.

thanks for checking this out

Cut 50 to 100 chunks from one of them that is bad. When you have it cut, and it still runs through as bad when trying to process it then email me and I will respond with the ftp site information.

--jdiner

Milo
02-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Audio issues are fairly easy to reproduce on a dTivo running 2.5xtreme+Kraven - just record an hour of "We are the '80s" off VH1 Classic, and cut everything up to a video late in the show. Over half the time the audio will go missing; maybe one out of twenty times the audio will be there, but dropped an octave.

I have several example streams captured, but haven't found the post concerning how to upload testcases yet.

Edit: It might be an issue with the MPEG viewers I'm using; I've only tried viewing output with the ATi 8.0 viewer and occasionally Microsoft's Windows Media Player.

jasonb
02-04-2003, 04:40 PM
i just realized whats going on. I upgraded my tivo from original 30gb to 2 x 100gb about a year and a half ago. I copied over all my recordings when I upgraded by running a mfstool backup | mfstool restore. I had completely forgotten about them. Those are the recording which are giving problems for vsplit.

not sure if there is a solution, but this explains why only 1 fsid for those recording no matter how long they are.

Jason

Rotten
02-04-2003, 09:02 PM
jdiner,

Ok Here it is.
Assume 30 min show 20 after commercials

1. Extract TY from Tivo.
2. Run the latest vsplit
3. GOP Edit
4. Play the mpg result.
- This shows that the length of the clip as still 30 min in WinDVD. But it plays ok.

5. Demux with TMPGEnc
6. Reencode audio with Besweet to 48, 224.
7. Mux with new audio stream in TMPGEnc.
8. Happiness
-clip shows perfect time in WinDVD. And now plays sweet.

After this process you can now rencode the video and do as you please with it.

If you try to use renencode before this the audio is way off.

I think there is a problem with the audio header as reencoding it with BeSweet fixes it

Immo
02-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Hi Jdiner,

I have the same interest as you. I would like to take my ty's, slice out the commercials, and convert them to VOB's for DVD.

I use

Tytool5r4
Vsplitmux2a
Gopeditor4
TMPGEnc 2.510 simple demux
IFOEdit v.96Beta (paid the $5)

Everything works great up until the point I try to convert the mpeg to a VOB using the TMPGenc simple demux and IFOedit. It creates perfect video but loses audio.

I have five Jimmy Neutron cartoons Ty files that I wanted to make into a DVD for my kids. I have attempted to use the -j option to cut 10, 50, 100 chunks off the front but it always loses sync during the creation of the VOB.

If you think it will help the cause I can upload them to a FTP of your choice or I can provide you my FTP so that you can grab them at your leisure. I am also more than happy to wait until you are ready to test out your VOB maker. I can also test if you need any more testers.

I am glad you are feeling better.

Immo

lophophore
02-04-2003, 09:58 PM
I don't know how to say this better than this, so here goes:

Is there any way to make the size (length) of the slices that GopEditor4 uses smaller? That is, to make more places where the cut point can be inserted. It seems like the spots are about 1 second apart; is there any way to make them closer.

Thanks!

koreth
02-04-2003, 10:00 PM
lopophore: No. The slice sizes aren't determined by the editor; they're determined by DirecTV or your SA TiVo's MPEG-2 encoder. The app lets you cut at keyframe boundaries, but it has no control over how often keyframes appear in the video file.

snoopy
02-04-2003, 10:05 PM
What's wrong with going straight from TYTool 5.4 (VSPLIT MODE), into the latest version of ifoedit.

Originally posted by Immo
Hi Jdiner,

I have the same interest as you. I would like to take my ty's, slice out the commercials, and convert them to VOB's for DVD.

I use

Tytool5r4
Vsplitmux2a
Gopeditor4
TMPGEnc 2.510 simple demux
IFOEdit v.96Beta (paid the $5)

Everything works great up until the point I try to convert the mpeg to a VOB using the TMPGenc simple demux and IFOedit. It creates perfect video but loses audio.

I have five Jimmy Neutron cartoons Ty files that I wanted to make into a DVD for my kids. I have attempted to use the -j option to cut 10, 50, 100 chunks off the front but it always loses sync during the creation of the VOB.

If you think it will help the cause I can upload them to a FTP of your choice or I can provide you my FTP so that you can grab them at your leisure. I am also more than happy to wait until you are ready to test out your VOB maker. I can also test if you need any more testers.

I am glad you are feeling better.

Immo