PDA

View Full Version : DVR extraction

BlueCop
11-18-2002, 01:09 PM
hey posted this on another forum but now that this wonderfull forum is open ill post it here

i am releasing a tool called dvr.exe . it is capable of dumping recordings off the DVR partition of a UTV hard drive. keep in mind that these recordings are still muxed and unplayable using standard mpeg2 codecs. i would of liked to release a demuxer but we had problems with the demuxed video file it had glitches but otherwise was looked nice. the audio played fine though

this tool was programed for a 120GB UTV drive and works on my 120GB drive but it might not on yours.

it might work on smaller drives but needs testing.

If you are looking to just extract video off your harddrive and put it on another medium(CD,DVD) then i can tell you now. we aren't there yet and to wait for better tools.

my thoughts are that maybe after people are able to get to the recordings some mpeg experts could help out on the format.

first off you have to unlock the drive using the process outlined elsewhere

the usage is like this
DVR.exe "drive number"
like 0,1,2

it will then list the recordings
they will be listed with the p# format
where the # is the number of second sense Jan,1 1970 at the time of recording

you then choose a number and it is extracted.

if you want program titles and stuff they are not in these files they are on another partition and aren't extracted with these video files.

i noticed that the recordings i had pre 3.5 upgrade looked diff then newer recordings. i haven't looked to close at it yet.

the demuxer we were working on was for the post 3.5 recordings

Later
BlueCop
#UTVHacks on EFnet

farlz
11-19-2002, 02:06 PM
Just wanted to say that I've been following your posts on the "other forum" and I think the progress you're making is great. Keep up the good work, I look forward to the day when I can rid my UTV of all my girlfriend's stuff by dumping it to my pc. Hey, do you think something similar to TivoNet would be possible? Take care, farlz

lord_oberon
11-23-2002, 10:12 PM
It works with a standard drive i tried, but the files don't play back properlly and something is weird with the bitrate, when i examine it, dvd patcher tells me it's 15mbits/sec not 3.5 like it should be, but whats interesting i compared 2 recording of the same show one from a sat60 tivo and the other from my rca thier just about the same size. Anyways i tried some demuxers but they can't read the stream ID. just letting ya know what i tried keeping us posted.

BlueCop
11-23-2002, 10:23 PM
cool thanks i hadn't goten any feedback.
yea i am gona release a demuxer for the files you extracted. it shouold be able to seperate the files into video and audio then one can remux and do what they like

Later
BlueCop

edit: forgot to address your bitrate issue the bitrate is not indicated correctly so don't worry about it.

lord_oberon
11-24-2002, 02:22 AM
Cool dude, no prob. If you have any questions for Mpeg stuff i might be able to help, i've riped, converted and burned some of my old dvds for fun on my pioneer A03, so i know a bit about some mpeg plus i work in video allot so Let me know if ya need anything. BTW your software really rocks it's on my top 10 punch per byte list.

lord_oberon
11-24-2002, 08:45 PM
BTW dude i hade a few thoughts and questions. First how did you access the file system or what file system is it and how do you access the directory tree. also have you tought of using the printer or usb ports like the direct tivo to access the system. and finnaly mayby the software that comes with the LSI development kit for the Mpeg2 chips could read the file and or demux them, just an idea. But anyways i would like to help out as much as i can and i have a freind he's very big in directivo hacking.

AlphaWolf
12-04-2002, 08:04 PM
BlueCop: hey I saw your posts on pd, you might try having a look at olaf_sc's tydemux source code. There may be some big similarities between dtivo and utv recordings which his conversion tools already take care of.

flyerman
09-23-2003, 11:03 PM
What happened to this idea?

djohn
11-06-2003, 11:15 AM
I am just curious what happened to BlueCop. I haven't seen anything out of him for quite a while.

stevegh2004
07-22-2004, 04:11 PM
just wondering if anyone made any progress (converting files to play on PC/DVD)? who can follow in BlueCop's footsteps :-)

dan0
10-31-2006, 02:15 PM
I am just curious what happened to BlueCop. I haven't seen anything out of him for quite a while.

retired his UTV

BlueCop
10-31-2006, 02:17 PM
retired his UTV

not completely. i recently got some debug and internal builds of the utv software and it has sparked my interest in working with them again.

dan0
10-31-2006, 02:24 PM
BC
you have a PM
thanks

Jim_IT
11-09-2006, 10:20 AM
not completely. i recently got some debug and internal builds of the utv software and it has sparked my interest in working with them again.

It is amazing that we are still going strong after 4 yrs. Coincedently Yesterday, I plugged in blinker UTV which has been down for 3 years, and got it to work for 5 minutes. My daughter had a full disk of movies, we have not been able to fully replace.

I still have a sample extraction which was posted along time ago. DGindex shows the video, but with errors. FFMPEG plays audio only.

I'm still interested in extracting and converting the shows still on the hard drive.

Bluecop, did you ever get clean video/audio from an extraction.

Jim

nojobnomoney
12-04-2006, 04:09 PM
I know several people that would like to know if this will work?

dan0
08-03-2007, 08:00 PM
bump for old times sake :eek:

nojobnomoney
08-04-2007, 11:19 AM
If someone finds a way to get the video off of the UTV let us know...