PDA

View Full Version : RCA UTV Call Ext 732 good pix-no record

mcauto
11-18-2002, 03:16 PM
I have a good UTV that works great with a 3m. I bought another and the channels are good but it won't record. It has the nag call ext 732. Is there anyway to clone the good harddrive of the UTV to this nagging harddrive or do you know of some other way to get rid of it so i can record. Thank you.

kinos
11-18-2002, 07:10 PM
First of all, this is not a DTV hacking site, so you'll have to go somewhere else for that info. I will say that the hard drive contains no info on the UTV subscription, so you're going in the wrong direction anyways.

BlueCop
11-18-2002, 07:18 PM
I will say that the hard drive contains no info on the UTV subscription, so you're going in the wrong direction anyways.

that statement is incorrect. there is a record of every single CAM id used on that receiver on the harddrive.

BlueCop

mrblack51
11-18-2002, 07:46 PM
if you really think its your hard drive, you can try wiping the drive clean, and then letting it re-download the UTV software.

mcauto
11-18-2002, 10:00 PM
The category is UTV hacking. Since the hard drive controls whether or not you are permitted to record, I figured I was in the right place. The issue is not DTV hacking since all the channels come in fine. Since the hard drive won't let me record and I have a UTV with a hard drive that lets me record, my question is "does anyone know how to transfer the data from the good hard drive to the other hard drive? While I am new to this forum I have been around for years and I always help when I can. Thanks.

mcauto
11-18-2002, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all your help. The boys at ultra3m figured it out by recoding the card to fool the UTV authorization.

mrblack51
11-19-2002, 01:31 AM
The reason that the issue of it being a DTV hacking question is due to the fact that you were asking about a 3m related issue, as was evidenced by the fact that it was solved by 3m writers. Call 'ext XXX' errors are DTV related, and if you are hacking your unit, you should check those forums first. If you were really just wanting to know if you can clone the drive to a new drive, you should have asked that directly.

Originally posted by mcauto
The category is UTV hacking. Since the hard drive controls whether or not you are permitted to record, I figured I was in the right place. The issue is not DTV hacking since all the channels come in fine. Since the hard drive won't let me record and I have a UTV with a hard drive that lets me record, my question is "does anyone know how to transfer the data from the good hard drive to the other hard drive? While I am new to this forum I have been around for years and I always help when I can. Thanks.

mcauto
11-19-2002, 02:24 AM
I stand corrected. I would like to know if anyone knows how to clone a good UTV hard drive to another one. That would be handy when upgrading to a larger hard drive or when you buy a used UTV that needs a kick in the fanny. Regards,
Rick

BlueCop
11-19-2002, 10:26 AM
mcauto: your perception of how utv works is skewed. it is not authorized by the harddrive or software. it is authorized by a tier on the card. the software might check that tier so your guys didn't "figure anything out" they merely fixed it. it has been figured out for quite a while.

Also no one has tried imaging a utv harddrive to another harddrive completely and sticking it in the UTV. well let me rephrase no one i have talked to. people upgrade the drive through the phonelines. i agree it would be usefull to be able to upgrade without a download and keeping your recordings.
but there are a few things that need to be known.

1. wether or not the UTV will boot a imaged drive b/c it will not be ATA passworded

2. if it doesn't then we need to know how to generate the password to lock the drive so the utv unlock it and then boot it.

3. if you image a smaller 40GB to say a 120GB the partition table would still be for a 40GB drive. we need a utility to format the drive based on the size of the drive then be capable of copying the files over

i think it is presently easier to upgrade over the phone lines.

BlueCop

mcauto
11-19-2002, 08:35 PM
Thanks Blue Cop. This is all new and it sounds like a pain in the butt. You seem to know a lot about it. One last question and it probably lies between here and a different forum. If you upgrade the hard drive and it has to dial in does it present a problem of card info being sent over the phone lines? If this question doesn't belong here I would appreciate knowing where to go.......and please don't say go straight to h__l. haha

BlueCop
11-19-2002, 08:49 PM
well when i upgraded my receiver. i didn't have my card in the slot. so if one was to reset it and then remove the harddrive then replace and not put a card back in. i don't see how any information could sent. but thats only in the us. canada is a different story b/c it won't allow you to download there i beleive

BlueCop

mcauto
11-19-2002, 08:57 PM
Way cool Blue. Now if you can direct me to where I can get the info to upgrade the hard drive I would appreciate it. So you have done the upgrade with no problems?? I remember reading about how to do it somewhere but the phone call thing scared me so i didn't bookmark it. So how many hours can you record? Thanks.

bozo8787
11-20-2002, 05:31 AM
mcauto, I posted this just for you and others who may want this info on upgrading the utv hd to 120gb. Go to the address below or you can find it as a new thread I started, I just hope it could be made a Sticky.

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=71566#post71566

mcauto
11-20-2002, 08:00 AM
Now this is what I like about forums. Everyone helping and no flaming. Since none of us know everything, we can put our minds together and accomplish great tasks. Thank you so much and now to try. I guess the worst that can happen is I end up with a dead UTV. I'll just hang it on the Christmas tree. haha Thanks very much.

Jeff_666
11-21-2002, 04:18 PM
don't worry about the call. It is harmless and even if it did send info, it is just sending the serial number of the system, afterall, the drive is clean.

This is the only way I have heard of upgrading the system. The problem lies in the ATA passwording. Last i heard, no one figured out how to break it. the only thing people can do is prevent the system from throwing a password to the lock by removing the IDE cable from the drive while it formats it.