PDA

View Full Version : Tytool 5 running slow?

fastzx
11-19-2002, 07:01 PM
I just installed Tytool 5 last night and it started with no problem but it is running very slow. I dowloaded only 28meg in 2 hours. Im pretty sure my network is running fine because I can telnet. I can FTP files just fine and TivoWeb is running good. It just seems like something is hanging tcp/ip then it retransmitts when it can. At first I thought it was because I was watching live tv on the Tivo so then I put the tivo on the system info screen and it was still slow. Running out of ideas. Anyone?

jdiner
11-19-2002, 11:49 PM
Yeah. That is very very slow. I get aout 65meg in 60 seconds. And there are others here that are going faster.

The client and server use a simple TCP socket connection. There is nothing in there that should be throttling anything. The server does default to running at a lower priority. Without that the tivo is complete unresponsive while a transfer is in progress and fails when trying to record during that time.

I have never seen a tivo overloaded enough to go that slow that could do anything else at all. The GUI should be dead etc...

What client OS? What hardware? Are you sure the cards are good? When you FTP to and from the Tivo what speeds do you get. A lot more information is needed to be of any help.

--jdiner

TRILIGHT
11-20-2002, 01:28 AM
I am getting about the speed that Jdiner mentioned. It starts off slow but then speeds up throughout the rest of the process. 2 hours is a LONG time though. Even when my TiVo was really taxed, I got a lot more than what you are. Even though you are able to connect to a system on your network does not necessarily mean your network is set up for efficient file transfer. It almost sounds as if you have a duplex problem. That could cause a lot of collisions. ESPECIALLY if your network is running through a hub and not a switch.

Rowan
11-20-2002, 10:27 AM
I had a similar problem when I first hooked up my Tivo. I played around with the duplex settings, tried different computers and nothing would help. I have everything in my house going trough my Linksys router. I ended up resetting it and everything started working properly, I now get a little over 1 meg a second. My guess is that the Linksys was caching some setting that caused the connection between the Tivo and the switch to have problems.

Rowan

fastzx
11-21-2002, 11:49 AM
jdiner

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I had an emergency yesterday. As far as speeds are concerned I have not done a test on FTP for throughput test because now I can't even download. I am now getting unable to open file error something to that effect. So I am now a step backward at this point. I will try again later tonight to see if I can resolve that problem.
Thanks,
Richard

justme
11-23-2002, 10:08 PM
I have been having this same problem for some time. I am running Windows 2000 w/SP3 on a dual Pentium III system.

If I test the speed with FTP, I always get fast transfers. If I use Tytool, It is about 16 times slower than it should be. However, if I run something like TMPGEnc at the same time, the Tytool rate shoots back up to normal. It seems that there is something strange about the priority setting of the Tytool client (my guess).

BD38
11-24-2002, 03:54 AM
I had reported the same problem with extremely slow Tytool xfer speeds. I had a dual cpu system and after a lot of network troubleshooting ended up using Tivoapp which gave me ~80MB/min. I think there's a problem with Tytool and dual cpu systems as another single cpu system running on the same network gave good xfer speed.

For those people with extremely slow xfer speeds, are you using a dual cpu system?

jdiner
11-24-2002, 11:25 PM
BD38:

I have access to a dual machine from work. Dual AMD MP 2000+ cpu's.

I have downloaded now about 40 shows using TyTool 5r2 and I don't see the slow down you mention. Not that that helps much.

Not sure what service pack is being run on this machine.

--jdiner

jdiner
11-26-2002, 01:50 AM
It is possible it is loading the on the Tivo.

I was just thinking about this and it is reasonable to consider load. My server tserver_mfs is designed to run at the lowest possible priority. This makes it much much better for some things. Like being able to use the remote during extraction and to be able to continue recording etc...

The ftpd, ftp server, on the tivo has not such speed limiting code in it.

A way to test things to see what would happen is to reduce the load as much as possible.

From previous conversations with others try:

- Put both tuners, on a DTivo, on a black channel you don't have. This stops the saving, i.e. recording, process completely and frees up a bunch of CPU time and disk access.

- Run the tserver_mfs with out the lower-priority code. The flag for this is "-n" n as in Nancy. This will then take as much CPU as it can get. Keep in mind in this mode your tivo is a boat anchor. You can't do anything with it at all.

- Turn off everything else that might be eating cycles and ram. Shutdown the TivoWeb server, MoveChannels, etc...

Then try it again. See what happens.

--jdiner

fastzx
11-26-2002, 04:46 PM
I found out what my original slow problem was about. I was running my tivo through a D-Link router and then out a thinnet (10base2) connection to the upload PC. This somehow caused my slow connection problems. When I by-passed my router I uploaded just fine.
Fastzx

CyberMop
11-26-2002, 05:39 PM
I have had the same problem with my D-Link Router, it's a DI-604. For some reason the dlink is setting the routing table up so everything goes thought it.... If I find a good way around it I will let you know.

lmurray
11-26-2002, 10:59 PM
cuz i like to break things, I tested out a theory.

I have my tivo connected to my win98se box w/ a switch. I get good d/l rates. I went into win98, and changed the network card from half duplex to full duplex. Fired up tytool, and it was slow as shit.

Just something to look into if you are having problems. Check your duplex settings, and try half duplex.

-lloyd-

P.S. i suppose these same duplex issues could happen in a switch or router, so check u'r settings there too.

BubbleLamp
11-27-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by lmurray
cuz i like to break things, I tested out a theory.

I have my tivo connected to my win98se box w/ a switch. I get good d/l rates. I went into win98, and changed the network card from half duplex to full duplex. Fired up tytool, and it was slow as shit.

Just something to look into if you are having problems. Check your duplex settings, and try half duplex.

-lloyd-

P.S. i suppose these same duplex issues could happen in a switch or router, so check u'r settings there too.

Sounds like you have a hub, not a switch. Only a switch can handle full-duplex connections. If you force full duplex with a hub, you create massive collisions, greatly reducing throughput.

CSMA/CD Look it up if you don't know what the CD stands for.

Alien
12-25-2002, 11:46 AM
I have had similar speed problems with TyTool. FTP/TivoWeb both appear to run quickly, but TyTool runs around .1 mB/Sec. I am using a D-Link router, and when I disable mac-address filtering it appears to speed up (for a while) to what people on this list tell me to expect, then slows down again. If I reenable and then disable mac address filtering it appears to work again for a bit.

This occurs both with my dual cpu thinnet linked system and my wi-fi wired laptop. (Both go through the same D-LINK 614+ wi-fi router)

At this point I would guess that there is some unhappiness between my D-LINK router (others have mentioned similar problems with D-LINKS) and turbo-net. I have not yet tried a crossover cable direct into my PC. That will be the next step after I have digested enough of my holiday cheer to get out of my easy chair.

Question for jdiner: In TyTool did you play with socket tx/rx window sizes and/or buffer sizes at all? Do you send lots of small packets relying on the ethernet driver to optomize or do you output larger chunks (~16 kb+) at a time? Sometimes the default ethernet socket params do not work good for transmitting larger amounts of data.

If the tx/rx window size is too small you can spend lots of time waiting for receiver ack's if the transmission latency is high (such as a crummy wi-fi router that introduces lots of delays). Just a thought.

Running tserver_mfs5r2 with the -n option did *not* appear to make a difference.

Best,
Kurt A.

P.S. Thanks jdiner et all for all your work and hints. I have been lurking here for quite a while and you have (unknowningly) helped me on many occasions. Thx