PDA

View Full Version : Winamp3 and mpa files?

icculus
11-20-2002, 12:54 PM
I'm using vsplit13 to chop the .ty files into .m2a and .m2v files. The next step for the audio has always been to use winamp to convert the .m2a files to .wav.

My old winamp2 seems to work fine, but I just installed the latest winamp3 and it doesn't seem to read these files properly.

I can use the old version easily enough, but surely there is some way to make winamp3 read these. I don't recall having to install a codec for version 2 or anything, but perhaps I did.

Does anyone know how to make winamp3 read the extracted .m2a audio files outputted from splitting up a .ty file?

thanks!

icculus
11-21-2002, 12:48 PM
Anyone?.... anyone?.... Bueller??

Has anyone read .m2a files (out of vplit) fine with winamp3??

Nihilator
11-24-2002, 04:37 PM
This bogged me down for a while. It's not a codec, it's a plug-in, and it's not available for 3 yet. To the best of my knowledge, the old one won't work. You have to use 2.

Sorry, I forget the name of the plug-in.

--Chris

icculus
11-25-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Nihilator
This bogged me down for a while. It's not a codec, it's a plug-in, and it's not available for 3 yet.
--Chris

Thanks!

mbriody
11-25-2002, 08:03 PM
So is there any other (simple) way to convert m2a to WAV?

I'd like to rip some digital radio recordings from my TiVo and I'm not interested in the video.

icculus
11-25-2002, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure how much easier it can get. You just set your output to go to .wav instead of the speakers, then drop your .m2a files onto winamp. What else could you ask for??

Nihilator
11-26-2002, 08:49 AM
No other way that I know of. You can "convert" to mp2 just by renaming it, if you're looking for a different format.

WinAmp has nothing to do with the video, only the audio. It takes the vsplit tystream's audio component and converts it to a wav. Easy.

--Chris

mbriody
11-26-2002, 09:43 AM
The issue is that (as mentioned) the current version of Winamp doesn't support the WAV-output plugin. I don't have the old version.

That was why I asked for an alternative method.

icculus
11-26-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by mbriody
I don't have the old version.

Just get it. Big link on the winamp page in the upper right pointing to version 2. You can't miss it.

texmex
11-26-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by mbriody
So is there any other (simple) way to convert m2a to WAV?

I'd like to rip some digital radio recordings from my TiVo and I'm not interested in the video.

BeSweet is simple and free. Do a search here and you'll find plenty of info.

mbriody
11-28-2002, 08:16 AM
Got the old Winamp and it worked fine.

Thanks,

Mark

Zaknafein
11-29-2002, 04:17 AM
The problem with Winamp3 is that it doesn't appear to decode MPEG 1 Layer-2 files, whereas Winamp 2 did. The best thing to do is to use BeSweet to do the transcoding.

FreydNot
11-29-2002, 04:53 AM
I have also used Goldwave to open an mp2 file and save it out as a wave file. Its slow, but its more hands on then BeSweet. I do it this way when I want to have serious control over normalising audio or changing the sample rate.