PDA

View Full Version : Is there a manual programming mode?

kevink52
11-21-2002, 04:52 PM
Am I forced to pay subscription charges for a Tivo or is it possible to program it by hand?

mrblack51
11-21-2002, 05:10 PM
pick programs to record -> manual

you can do it. your tivo will bug you constantly though, and you may need to run a fixsub type script to allow it.

groundhog
11-26-2002, 05:33 PM
It depends on the unit that you bought. If you bought a Standalone with software prior to 2.5(example 1.3 or 2.0), then it will probably support a limited use for tivo as a digital VCR. About a year ago, they stopped supporting the use of new Tivo's without a subscription. The box used to say that it could be used with our without a subscription(i'm paraphasing). It no longer says that. New units with 2.5 or 3.0 installed aren't supposed to be able to be used manually(without a sub). You can, most likely, hack the series 1 tivos to allow it, but the stock untouched units will give you grief. Anyway, the subsciption is worth it. The Tivo software and guide data kick ass. If you want to manually record everything and not know the title of anything you recorded, go ahead and look into manual recording. But...if you want to be able to just hit a couple of buttons and select "Friends" By pressing "F...R" & have it record an episode every week and if the episode runs long, it will record for longer, then look into getting the sub. (O.K. maybe Friends wasn't a good example, but that's what it's supposed to do) :)

P.S. I bought my first Tivo with the intension of never subbing it. After playing with the grace period sub for a month, I paid the fee and never looked back.

balance07
12-16-2002, 08:21 PM
perhaps slightly off topic, is there a way to make a custom (manual) recording that starts at, say, 10:58? mine restricts me to 5 minute intervals ( :00, :05, :10, :15, etc etc)

i record all of cartoon network's sunday night adult swim block, and all those shows start about 30 sec before my tivo starts recording them. i can't make them all start 1 minute early, they'd overlap. and having each one start 5 min early and end 5 min early would cut off the end.

i suppose i could manually record the whole 2 hr block as 1 recording, but i want them separate, i'm picky like that.

so anyone got a clue as to how i can do this (or if its even possible)?

thank you so much!

/balance07

TheDoctor
12-17-2002, 12:37 AM
If your unit is unsubed, and not calling in, you could set the clock 30 seconds off from gmt. That might mess you up on other channels.

NwprtBchTiVo
09-08-2003, 11:38 PM
How do I set the clock manually on an unsubed series 1?

Juppers
09-09-2003, 01:23 AM
You can add in other intervals. Check this thread over at AVS. Here. (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66425&highlight=padding)

groundhog
09-15-2003, 02:56 PM
How do I set the clock manually on an unsubed series 1?

Via Bash......

Here is an example of how you would set the time to 6/16/2002 at 1:30:00 AM(don't type the single quote('). This would be approximately 9:30 AM pacific time, depending on if it was during summer months or winter months? You add 7 hours for 6 months out of the year, and 8 hours the other 6 months....Sorry I don't have the exact info right now.

'settime 20020616013000'