PDA

View Full Version : Series 2 observations

TheDoctor
11-24-2002, 03:07 PM
I had recently purchased a openbox series 2, and found a couple of things interesting.

The unit had been purchased from GoodGuys and I was assured that the returned unit had been cheked out. They lied. The unit had a damaged fan housing that sounded like a fist full of poker chips being dropped into a food processor. Once I broke off the loose plastic it was fine, but I doubt any tech ever checked it.

The unit had been set up, but had no guide data left. It still had an account status of 'New'. I made a backup of the disk and then allow it connect to tivo to change the lineup. The service state was changed to 'expired' and all functionality was lost. However when I put the origional disk back in all functions returned to normal and the unit continue to operate in the 'New' state even though it is at or past the 30 day mark since initial activation. I will continue to monitor for a few days and see If I can conitue to use the system for manual recording.

The unit came with an 80gb drive, I initially just moved it to a slightly larger 80gb drive, as I was interested in enabling the bash prompt. However I found that I still did not have any free space. I checked in pdisk and it appearaed that the 80gb harddisk had an 85gb image. That could mean that when the drive is expanded that tivo automatically get a larger 'reserve' space for their use as they had stated in the past. In any event when I put the image on a 120gb drive everything worked fine and I was able to get bash enabled. There appears to be changes to tivoshell, mls and dumpobj have been removed, so I can't tell to much about what has changed in the database or how easy it would be to manually load/generate guide data at this time. I will update when I get time to explore further.

BubbleLamp
11-24-2002, 03:15 PM
Wow, a returned S2 already, go figure. Some interesting talk over at tivocommunity about how cheaply made the new boxes seem to be. Guess I won't have to worry about S2-envy after all. :D

TheDoctor
11-27-2002, 10:24 AM
Well the nag screen finally appeared after about 33 days. All tivo functionality disabled....

But, as I gather up the tools of war, (i.e. the cross-compiler) ,I discovered that it still lets me manually record, schedule recordings etc. I guess that means I just not getting the tivo suggestions I always turned off anyway???

I did take a quick look at loading guide data. It appears that they have made efforts at breaking the TCL elements required to load files.

TheDoctor
11-28-2002, 04:30 PM
Looking around on AVS I found the envirmental variables that when combined with some of the missing tcl scripts from an SA machine allows a PPV slice file to load. As my current lineup does not have the PPV channels I am not certain that the guide will populate correctly, but I did verify with dumpobj that the records are loading. That may be of use to the folks north of the border.

FreydNot
11-30-2002, 08:57 PM
Can I assume you replaces the bios chip to keep the series2 from replacing your edited files?

TheDoctor
12-01-2002, 02:34 AM
No, Just didn't let it call in, after making the changes described on avs forum. Tivo seem to be following the old pattern of not updating software on the same call as a configuration change. I was testing how long they left manual recording enabled on an unsubscribed unit. On the first call it is in the 'New' state and the expiration date is 0. On a later call the state will change to 'Not Setup' or 'Expired' and the expiration date will go to a non-zero value that signals the death of all services. As long as the expiration date is zero, manual record functions appear to remain enabled, at least till the 35 day mark. A configuration change will cause an update in the account status/expiration date, but as far as I know no software download.

The only problem I have with the current version of the software is that the audio will sometimes start slightly out of sync after playback has been paused. I don't see a need to update software to loose features I like because a company did not bother to test the software well enough to eliminate them. So far as I have heard killing bash is the only change from the last upgrade.

From what I heard, the last upgrade was a software change only, no change to firmware.

1dave1
12-16-2002, 02:05 AM
Has anyone tried Xtreme2.5 on a series 2 yet?

mrblack51
12-16-2002, 02:52 AM
1dave1: i certainly hope not. 25xtreme is for series 1 dtivos only. for instance, series 2 dtivos use a different processors, so the image wouldnt work.

RAR3cbte
01-13-2003, 06:21 PM
How were you able to get the bash prompt?
I have been unable, and have read it is impossible. Please share.
Thanks

TheDoctor
01-13-2003, 07:44 PM
The detailed method was posted on avs forum, search the undergound forum there. Tivo has since patched that hole. If you have let your machine update from the tivo site in the last couple of months, then you cannot get a bash prompt using those methods. To the best of my knowledge an old image would reverse that condition, however tivo is likely to chage the firmware they are shipping at some point to plug the hole for good.