PDA

View Full Version : tivo to archos jukebox?

davidblack
11-29-2002, 03:28 AM
Hi

I am getting an archos jukebox Multimedia 20 next week :)
www.archos.com

I want to transfer from my tivo to the jukebox

The only way i can see to do it at the moment is going via vcd

Is anyone else doing this / have any idea about short cuts..

Thanks
David

Pro-289
06-26-2003, 04:18 AM
Why only VCD? Doesn't SVCD work?

davidblack
06-26-2003, 04:28 AM
sorry - svcd might work - i was wondering whether anyone had a direct method..

raj2001
06-29-2003, 12:40 PM
I have the same Archos. I use Tystudio, DVD2AVI, winamp, AC3tool (dolby digital only), virtualdub, DivX 5.0.5 MPEG4 codec.

Here's my workflow:
Download video off TiVo, video to DVD, audio no transcoding.

Use DVD2AVI to convert your MPEG's to AVI's. You can use the Divx codec at this point, but you will lose quality. Use something like Picvideo of huffyuv. It takes up more space but you can delete the temp file later on. DVD2AVI will split your video to avi video and m2a sound or ac3 sound (directivo on some premium channels only).

Then, use winamp (2 not 3) and its diskwriter plugin to convert the M2A file to a WAV. This is to prevent sync issues with virtualdub. If it's an AC3 file, use AC3tool to convert it to wav.

Next, open up virtualdub, and select the source as your avi that you created, and use the wav file as the audio file. Use full processing mode and select MP3 codec for audio (archos doesn't accept anything else). Use the divx codec for video compression, and resize to 352x240.

Copy to your archos and you have video :)

*Notes

DVD2AVI will create files that are max 2GB in size. That's no problem. Just append the segments in virtualdub and it will join together seamlessly.

I tried using TMPGENC directly with MPEG2 support but I either got sync issues or the encoding stopped halfway and crashed my system.