PDA

View Full Version : Bad aspect ratio for letterbox extraction?



davepl
11-29-2002, 04:11 PM
I just did my first extract-split-mux and it all went well, but with one snag: the show I was extracting, NYPD Blue, is broadcast in letterbox (or at least close to letterbox). The extracted version is stretched vertically to fit the height of the 4:3 display, leaving black bars on the -sides-, and the picture is indeed stretched out of the correct aspect.

Is there a secret for extracting letterbox shows? I'm using TyTool5 and tmpgenc.

Thanks,
Dave

davepl
11-29-2002, 04:15 PM
I notice in the mux dialog of tmpgenc that the video stream is 480x480, which is bad mojo I suspect. Hopefully that's a clue to someone...

captain_video
11-29-2002, 07:44 PM
Why are you muxing the extracted tystream? The only reason to ever have to go through this extremely work and time-instensive process is to edit out commercials. I use the simple tytool extraction method with DVD Patcher and SpruceUp. The aspect ratios come out just fine and it only takes a couple of minutes to author a show. Just place chapter stops at the end of each commercial break and hit the chapter skip button on the remote when one begins so you can jump right past it. You might be able to save enough space on a DVD-R or -RW (or +R/+RW depending on your burner) to burn 4 episodes instead of 3 but the cost vs. time wasted is a no-brainer in my mind. There are just too many pitfalls using the current methods of muxing that just don't make it worthwhile, IMHO. But hey, it's your time to waste so who am I to tell you any different.

davepl
11-29-2002, 07:48 PM
I don't care about commericals, I'm just trying to get from Tivo->MPG in the shortest number of steps.

You're adding one by recommending I have to post process with two separate programs instead of one. How is that a time-saver?

captain_video
11-29-2002, 10:22 PM
Extracting and splitting is done in one step using Tytool. Patching the 1st header to 720X480 using DVD Patcher takes all of about 2 seconds (literally). Then, import the m2v file into SpruceUp and let it crash. Close SpruceUp if it doesn't close on its own. Repatch the header back to 480X480 and you're ready to author the DVD. The extraction, authoring, compiling, and burning portions have to be done no matter what method you use to get your files to a DVD. The patching and importing process takes a hell of a lot less time than muxing the program with no potential sync problems like muxing is prone to. I'm guessing it takes you at least 30 minutes to mux a 2-hour program and probably a lot longer. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to import a 2-hour show into SpruceUp, depending on the amount of compression used. I can author a 2-hour movie in SpruceUp, with menus and chapter stops, in only a couple of minutes. I have a standard template I use for the main menu, which saves me an extra minute or so. I also have ready-made templates for archived series that I record with multiple episodes on a DVD. I can author a 1/2-hour Seinfeld episode with chapter stops and preview the show in a couple of minutes also.