PDA

View Full Version : Noscramble for version 3.1

AlphaWolf
11-29-2002, 08:46 PM
Thanks to Ghost Coder's kernel debugging back in febuary 2002, we have the good ol' noscramble mod. For version 3.1, the rules haven't changed, just a different offset. Disabling the video scrambling in 3.1 is as simple as running this command once and rebooting:

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hda3 bs=1 skip=468 seek=550524 count=2

Assuming that your kernel image is on /dev/hda3 of course, otherwise replace those hda3's with hda6's.

Generiq
11-30-2002, 04:26 AM
Sweet!!

(Let the Dude, Where's My Car? references begin!)

tivoKlr
11-30-2002, 06:43 PM
I assume you still have to have the noscramble.o file on the tivo to get this to work?

AlphaWolf
11-30-2002, 07:48 PM
No, this is a kernel patch, meaning it perminantly disables tystream scrambling, so your stuff that you recorded with scrambling enabled will no longer work, unless you undo the patch and reboot again. To modularize it, somebody would have to update the source code of kowesofts module to target the new spec.

defsrg
12-03-2002, 11:40 AM
how do u tell if u have to use hda3 or hda6??
thanx
________
Motorcycle tires (http://www.motorcycle-tech.com/tires/motorcycle-tires)

AlphaWolf
12-03-2002, 11:41 AM
bootpage -b /dev/hda

defsrg
12-03-2002, 11:41 AM
thanx alpha
________
CAT WHEEL (http://www.catwheelcompany.com/)

nikunjs
12-24-2002, 05:02 PM
Hi, what is the command to undo the noscramble on 3.1?

I ran the command and now the hdvr2 is stuck at the welcome power up screen.

thanks

mrblack51
12-24-2002, 05:40 PM
nikunjs: well, you just killed your unit. That command is for series 1 dtivos only. You ran it on a series 2 dtivo, so there is not telling what it overwrote.

shstevens
12-25-2002, 07:48 PM
On a similar vein, I am wondering if someone has modularized this like in 2.51. I am very grateful to all the expertise and generocity of the contributors here, however I do not have the skill to do this (although I am learning what I can :^).

I was just curious if this was something I could do easily or just wait a little bit (no problem there of course) :^)

Thanks,
Shawn

browe
12-26-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by rc3105
copy from AW's post, paste into your terminal session, hit enter, reboot the tivo, works great :D

thanks for posting the info Alphawolf

if you're paranoid back up hda3 first with

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=kernel.bak

and if something goes wrong you can just restore it with dd on the pc rather than having to restore an entire backup with mfstools. you can even restore it in the tivo if you ever need to watch anything scrambled.

--
Riley

(a 3.1 module sounds like a project for disconnect)

What is the command line for reverting back to the scrambled code? I have a 3.1 Sony T60 that I need to do this on.

Brian

AlphaWolf
12-26-2002, 10:27 AM
The origional set of bytes would be 0x40 and 0x86. You can find that byte pair at offset 0xFFF76, so that means you can just change the `skip=` parameter from 468 to 104838, and it will effectively undo the kernel patch.

Disconnect
12-26-2002, 06:58 PM
To answer 2 of the above questions, the autoscramble stuff (see the thread below) works fine in 3.1; watch scrambled, record unscrambled, automagically switch back and forth...

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19918

Zak0
01-19-2003, 05:40 PM
So, has noscramble.o been recompiled for use with 3.1 or does the old one still work fine? I'm confused... It seems that if the offset has changed, the kernel module needs to be edited slightly and recompiled, right?

-Zak

BakCompat®
01-20-2003, 11:58 AM
I've been using the same version noscramble driver under 3.1 on a dtivo that i have been using since it was 2.5, and is still working fine. Now if only i can figure out why i get a green screen when i tell the dtivo to reboot, but if i pull the plug to reboot, it comes up fine... oh well.

santakrooz
03-24-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
Assuming that your kernel image is on /dev/hda3 of course, otherwise replace those hda3's with hda6's.

How can you tell which dev your kernel image is on?

-sk

TheD0CT0R
03-25-2003, 04:28 PM
I'm not testing, completely legit sub... All I want to do is pass shows between 2 subbed DTivos... Does doing the noscramble kernel patch (or module) raise any flags that might falsely raise eyebrows?

Thanks...
Doc

TheD0CT0R
03-25-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks (yet again) Riley. As soon as I get my arms around this, I'd like to contribute. I did a fresh load of 3.1 on both of my T-60's, did the kernel mod and successfully mfs_ftp'd a show across. Woopie! Now I need to figure out why one of my boxes won't get past 70% (on boot) when I have mfs_ftp in rc.sysinit.

Thanks!
Doc

A.C.
03-31-2003, 11:29 PM
...does no scramble from the "how to" work on 3.1??

swspjcd
05-21-2003, 02:56 PM
I did the "dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hda3 bs=1 skip=468 seek=550524 count=2" command on my v3.1 Huges GXCEBOT and it worked great. I've read in other forums that there is a second copy of the OS on a different filesystem. Do I need to do the same thing to the kernel on that filesystem also? The reason I ask is that the hack appears to have undone itself although that could very well be because I've imaged and re-imaged my Tivo drive so many times in the last month, it's kind of becoming a blur. I had a drive go bad (actually I bought it in December and it already was bad but just found out) and I added a second 120 gig just recently.
Thanks.

rtphokie
06-07-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
Thanks to Ghost Coder's kernel debugging back in febuary 2002, we have the good ol' noscramble mod. For version 3.1, the rules haven't changed, just a different offset. Disabling the video scrambling in 3.1 is as simple as running this command once and rebooting:

I've been reading threads on scrambling for hours and am really confused now. Let me see if I've got this straight.

I've got a Sony T60 DirecTivo (running version 3.1.0-01-1-011) newly equiped with a Airnet from 9thtee.com. I've installed TyStudio 0.5.0 beta 2 and verified that both tyserver and tyindex are running but everthing shows up as "no" in the index column on TyStudio. I'm assuming this is because everything on a DirecTiVo is scrambled right?

If I install the above kernel patch above and reboot, all subsequent recordings will be done without scrambling and should be accessible to tyindex/tyserver. However, this would make any existing recordings unwatchable on the TiVo unit itself, right? There isn't a way to unscramble existing recordings on the unit, right?

So I guess my ultimate question is....

What is the best way to ensure future recordings are no scrambled yet still be able to watch existing recordings (that is until I get them all cleared out).

oviTyonS
06-07-2003, 09:25 AM
I would recommend using autoscramble, it works well for me on one of my SAT-T60's that has V3.1 and still has a lot of scrambled recordings on it. With autoscramble when you select a show that is scrambled, it will give an error, this error triggers a routine that switches modes allowing you to watch the scrambled show, select the show a second time and it will play. After you are done watching scrambled shows be sure to select a non-scrambled show from the now playing list, you will get the error again and the mode will be switched to nonscrambled. If you don't switch back to non-scrambled the Tivo will reboot when you go to live TV.

When you no longer have any scrambled shows left you can do the kernel patch to turn off scramble mode permanently.

Kevin

toddcurry
06-26-2003, 04:32 PM
What would happen if you ran this command twice on a DTivo, running 3.1?

I had a business trip come up out of nowhere, so I can't remember whether I rebooted after I entered the command, and I stupidly just entered it again....

I haven't (yet) rebooted again, so I may be able to "undo"?

I also have an unpatched kernel on another tivo, so could I dd that to kernel.bak and then transfer to this now-shaky DTivo?

mentally-fragmented,

TC

Zak0
06-26-2003, 07:14 PM
It won't make any difference how many times you run the dd command - it just continues to overwrite the exact same bytes in the kernel.

I don't know about the backup kernel - I would assume that if your other Tivo is that same brand of DTivo running the same software version, you'd be safe copying it's kernel over the top of this one's in order to cancel the noscramble.

But why would you want to do that? <grin>

-Zak

toddcurry
06-26-2003, 08:17 PM
Thanks, Zak -- I did some digging this afternoon and discovered that. Whew!

I now understand it much better, and you're right, wouldn't bother copying over the kernel.

learning, learning, learning...

Todd

cbarger2662
06-30-2003, 06:51 PM
I see that for my DirecTivo Series 1 I am suppose to use

to turn off the scrambling, but I notice that it is accessing /dev/hda3, do I need to have that partition mounted? My telnet only has this mounted

bash-2.02# df
Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda4 126911 18755 101603 16% /
/dev/hda9 126911 16824 103534 14% /var
bash-2.02#

Will this line work anyway with what I have mounted?

Zak0
06-30-2003, 08:05 PM
No, you do not need to have the kernel partition mounted in order to use dd to patch it.

I have a Series 1 DTivo as well (DSR6000 running 3.1) and that command worked perfectly for me. I DID make a backup of the kernel partition using the command from earlier in this thread, just in case... But, I haven't needed it.

It's possible that your active kernel is on /dev/hda6 too - I don't think it hurts to patch both of them (use the same command only replace hda3 with hda6).

Good luck!
-Zak

cbarger2662
07-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Now, if I want to undo this kernal hack and put my DirecTivo back to the original Scramble mode, what is the correct command line?

You know, Just in case...

cbarger2662
07-11-2003, 11:12 PM
OK, another dumb question, but I think it will be good to have it on this thread.

I have backed up my kernel by using this:

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=kernel.bak

If I need to, how do I restore my kernel from this backup?

Zak0
07-12-2003, 12:48 AM
This should work:

dd if=kernel.bak of=/dev/hda3

-Zak

cbarger2662
07-12-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm guessing that I would use the same thing to revert back to the scramble mode?

New issue now, I have successfully installed TyStudios, unscramble my DTivo and down loaded my first stream. I tried to convert it to a mpeg-2, but when I try to watch the clip on my MS media player I keep getting errors saying something about the codec.

What do I need to do to watch this converted stream on my computer?

Zak0
07-12-2003, 10:31 PM
You'll need some kind of DVD playing software installed on your machine in order to get the MPEG-2 codec. I use PowerDVD 'cause it came with my DVD-ROM drive, but there are plenty of other choices out there... List on DVDRHelp site (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tools.htm#players)

I use TyStudio too - The only thing that works for my DVD player (Apex AD-660 running OFFA) is to extract to elemental streams (I use the default 48000 DVD setting for audio) and then use XMuxer or TMPGEnc to mux the .m2a and .m2v files back together. I can burn the resulting MPG as an SVCD using Nero and it plays fine on my DVD player.

If I'm not interested in watching it on the DVD player at all, I've been re-encoding to XviD to save space (I can fit two one-hour-episodes of a show on one CD this way). I haven't come up with a non-pain-in-the-ass process for getting from elemental streams to XviD yet though (if anyone has some advice, I'm all ears)!

-Zak