PDA

View Full Version : tivo to mpeg4 divx ?

davidblack
11-30-2002, 02:50 AM
I am looking to extract video from the tivo and load it onto my new Jukebox Multimedia 20, Handheld Entertainment Center (www.archos.com) to watch on the train

The archos jukebox plays divx movies and mp3s from its 20gb hard drive. It also has a screen built in

So i need to end up with a divx video with the following criteria.....

Audio: MP3 audio 160kbps VBR or less.
Mpeg4 "simple profile"
352x288 ("cif") or lower resolution
Width and Height must be a multiple of 4

Tivo > ty stream is easy (tytool)
Tivo -> m2v and m2a is easy (tytool vsplit mode)
M2v and m2a -> dvd vob is easy (ifoedit 0.95)
Dvd vob -> divx is easy (mpeg4 direct maker although i do need to buy a serial because im on a 30 day trial...)

But my problem is that the dvd vob produced by ifoedit 0.95 is not recognized by mpeg4 direct maker because it isnt in standard dvd resolution....

Any ideas? Or anyone got a smarter way to do tivo ty stream to mpeg4 divx ?

Thanks
David

FreydNot
11-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Well its a bit more work, but you can always use the tried and true:

Tivo -> vsplit -> .m2v -> DVD2avi -> VFAPIconv -> VirtualDub -> divx encoded avi
| |
-> .m2a -> winamp -> .wav ------->

FredThompson
12-01-2002, 01:06 AM
Use Gordian Knot

http://gknot.doom9.org/

davidblack
12-01-2002, 01:22 AM
thanks

got it working - just got to get the time down now......

For 30 mins of video took:

32 mins to extract (tivonet)
40 mins in dvd2avi
25mins in lame (did that at the same time as dvd2avi)
55 mins in virtualdub

all up about 2 hours 10 minutes (to go from tivo to 352x288 divx 5.02 video with 48k stereo sound)

this is on an athlon 1ghz with 512mb

has anyone got timings on other processors - might need to upgrade....???

FredThompson
12-01-2002, 01:31 AM
Again, use Gordian Knot and make it easy on yourself.

Athlon 2100 is where the price break is best.

You'll find a very good heat sink on sale here:

http://www.svcompucycle.com/therslsoc462.html

FredThompson
12-01-2002, 01:52 AM
Riley,

That doesn't sound right unless it's one pass CBR using simple resizing routines. You'll get better size/quality results using Gordian Knot for 2 passes with a Lanczos resize.

Try Gordian Knot. There's a reason it's so popular and used for quality.

FredThompson
12-01-2002, 03:31 AM
My point was 2 passes will yield higher quality and Gordian Knot is a lot easier to use than all the manual steps. AVISynth is based on VirtualDub but more powerful and now includes Lanczos resize to the results should be superb downsizing 480x480 to 252x288.

If you've not tried encoding with 2 passes, give it a shot. The result is almost always higher quality.

GITM
12-02-2002, 11:28 PM
2-pass will not yield better quality than a 1-pass VBR at 100% qual. 2-pass is only helpful if you need the output to be a specific size.

I agree about GordianKnot, it kicks ass. I use it to generate my .d2v file and encode my audio. It's a great front end for BeSweet and it's video cropping and editing GUI is very easy to use.

-GITM

FredThompson
12-03-2002, 12:59 AM
You sure about that? It's been a while but I seem to recall b-frames are bi-directional references (hence the name) and that's part of the 2-pass process. Maybe the encoder reads in a GOP block's worth of frames and analyses them as a chunk.

Guess I read into Riley's comment about 200M that the quality would be maximized if that's used in a 2-pass VBR. You know, set high, low, and average then let the Knot do its thing.

Avery just released a new update to VirtualDub. Fixes a few things. The last one had a nasty bug with redrawing during compression and some other stuff. Wish he'd implement custom colors for the frame edges, though. Moving the crop bars is a little difficult because they're black.

By GUI, do you mean DVD2AVI? Seems jdiner's hacking that for use with his extraction stuff. It is nice, isn't it?

FredThompson
12-03-2002, 02:07 AM
The MPEG Mediator site doesn't say anything about MPEG-4.

I see the AVI and MPEG (1 and 2, right?) output plugins but that's it. Do you use this as a frame server?

(Still hoping somebody will release a plugin for AVISYnth that will work with extracted streams.)

FredThompson
12-03-2002, 02:22 AM
Can it serve frames?

If not, can you pick a lossless codec like HuffYuv and go that route?

Actually, HuffYuv would take up a lot of space but it's worth a shot because 480x480 isn't a valid DV resolution so a DV codec can't be used (shame, they make smaller files.)

There are some very nice "cleaning" filters that, if you don't "scrub" too hard, can make dramatically smaller (or higher quality in the same space) files. Animation is probably where this is most evident but also in very static programs as well. They can also help to reduce the "shimmer" of compression.

serving frames could also support things like VideoLAN (http://www.videolan.org) which could be a really cool way to watch stuff over a net. Actually, the serving should probably be done in the TiVo, shouldn't it?

FredThompson
12-03-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by rc3105
it uses flask & premeire plugins. throw in your favorite frameserver at it & get crazy

actually, I had a bit of trouble frameserving to vdub from mm under v1.2. I kinda think it was that particular plugin though. some junk from video tools net. once the trial period expired it pretty well trashed the w98 config on the athlon & I had to re-install all my codecs.Yup, the author of the stuff at videotools.net apparently doesn't play by the rules, so to speak.
I don't frameserve much though. seeks in vdub are so slow that way. it's quicker to just transcode the entire file with the max keyframe interval at 60 0r 90 and scence change threshold at 30% or so. then the shift-arrow keyframe advance in vdub lets me ZOOM through to chop out commercials. 30 seconds to set cut points and everything else is automated.Hadn't thought of doing it like that. I was thinking MM->AVISynth->VirtualDub->file then running the file through an encoder package. That's awkward but some of the best filters are AVISynth-only. Have you tested the current versions of AVISynth and VirtualDub to see if they still choke on MPEG files like you mentioned? There are a numebr of MPEG2 filters now. I like the one at http://nic.dnsalias.com/
I have a rudimentary tivo side frameserver version of mfs_export that incorporates some tydemux code to extract i-frames. it's more oriented towards a tivoweb module to set cut points for selective extraction though.

a tcp tunneling tivo->pc frameserver would certanly be usefull. has anybody even done that type for pc -> pc yet?Hmm, dunno. I'll play around some today and see what can be done. I'd assume running a frame server on a Windoze box would serve to anything that shares the drive.

Didn't really think too much about this until late night while reading the new additions to the "proven concept" thread. Then, all of a sudden, it made sense that if the TiVo could serve, VideoLAN could deliver to just about any OS commonly used. Then it made sense that if the TiVO could serve, there wouldn't be any need to re-create editing GUIs or the like. I've not used VideoLAN, just watched it grow. Guess that's really a different thread topic, though. A full frame server from the TiVo, I mean.

Guess it'd also be nice if a TiVo-based file server had the option to pad to make constant framerates. Haven't really played around enough to see how important that truly is while transcoding.

Kythorn
12-04-2002, 12:18 PM
I can't get the latest MPEG Mediator (1.5) to work with the output of vsplitmux 1m or 1n. Are you still using this Riley? I get a message to the effect that the demultiplexer won't work because the mux rate is set to 0.

Any ideas?

FredThompson
12-04-2002, 04:18 PM
OK, I understand now. Everything I use now has VFAPI support so didn't even think about that.

However, now I'm a little confused because just a little earlier in this thread you were talking about pc->pc serving but now it seems you think the overhead is enormous. There must be something I don't understand.

FredThompson
12-04-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by rc3105
raw uncompressed frameserving overhead is prohibitive.

serving a processed file of equal or smaller size is fine.Yeah, that makes sense. I do it here with DV source but the hardware is pretty good.
I have an old PII that I sometimes use as a preprocessing "filter". the bottleneck on divx compression is the cpu cache speed. the 1 ghz athlon has 384k running at 1 ghz, the 512k L2 on the PII-400 only runs at 200. in actual fact the PII takes 5x + longer to crunch mpeg -> divx than the athlon does (even though the mhz is only 2.5x faster). it's still got plenty of horsepower to split/mux the tystream and/or mp3 the audio faster than athlon can do the video alone.

knocks about 30% off the total encode time on the athlon. not a bad trick for an old fileserver.Makes sense. There's a shareware distributed MP3 encoder that works in a similar way across a LAN:

http://www.lorenzini.com/jlorenzi/encoder.html

Would be nice if distributed video compression was easily available. Guess that would need 2 passes, the first to pick the GOP boundaries and a second to encode.

--

Me, I'm just interested in AVISynth being able to properly read streams if they're to be transcoded. Most of the original encodes are pretty good but sometimes...

Oh, and there's also those short freezes but no filter is going to help with that...

FredThompson
12-04-2002, 05:56 PM
Ugh...that makes entirely too much sense.

Kythorn
12-04-2002, 07:17 PM
I saw you mentioned a version of mpeg mediator that you were working on that could open tystreams.

Out of curiosity, how did that go? Something like that could cut a ton of overhead out of my current process, because 99% of my tystreams are on a network share or burnt to a DVD, and the splitting takes as long as the transcoding does sometimes.

Being able to have it directly encode the tystreams off a different system would rock.

zodiacal
01-05-2003, 07:25 PM
avisynth causes an an audio video sync problem:
heres my .avs file:
LoadPlugin("MPEG2DEC.dll")
LoadPlugin("mpasource.dll")
video=mpeg2source("C:\extract\TechLive.d2v")
audio = MPASource("C:\extract\TechLive.m2a", normalize=false)
AudioDub(video, audio)

when i simply mux my video using mplex there is no problems with off sync. but when i use avisynth my video is about 1 second faster than my audio. anyone have any ideas?

PTVupgrade
08-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Use Gordian Knot

http://gknot.doom9.org/

Fred, is this still your favorite tool for creating files that can be played on the Archos? Dr DIVX seems very easy to use, but I am having terrible audio sync problems and am not sure why...

FredThompson
08-25-2004, 05:20 PM
I've not made MPEG4 from ty streams. Gordian Knot is very popular and is older than Dr. DivX. If your source is DTiVo, you're probably stumbling over field dominance flipping within the source stream.

lart2150
08-25-2004, 09:02 PM
I used tyshow+dr divx and it worked really good for me to convert my s1 sa ty streams to divx. I also used tystudio (tytools should work just fine) then virtualdub with the mpeg2 patch and that works good for xvid.

joeblough
08-26-2004, 12:03 AM
i'm using mencoder to go straight from dtivo .mpgs to mpeg4 and i've never had any audio sync issues. it can apparently handle the field dominance switches, but the debug messages coming out are misleading; it keeps switching in and out of inverse telecine mode.

of course this is all under linux. i dont know if there is a windows port for mencoder...

lart2150
08-26-2004, 12:52 AM
if you download mplayer for windows it has it

PTVupgrade
08-29-2004, 09:00 AM
I've not made MPEG4 from ty streams. Gordian Knot is very popular and is older than Dr. DivX. If your source is DTiVo, you're probably stumbling over field dominance flipping within the source stream.

Yes, its a DTIVO; Having some success with PocketDivXEncoder; still looking at a few other tools, as well...

Thanks folks!

AVD
08-29-2004, 12:55 PM
what's that, distributed mp3 encoding? What's the point?

TheAvatar
08-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Mencoder works for me under windows, lets you fetch and convert your
program to DIvx from you tivo on the fly. I just wish someone whould add this funtionality to Winvo of TivoWeb+, looks like it would be a simple thing for someone with some programming skills.

Here is my post with the required parameters....

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=101658#post101658

ElVee
09-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Yes, its a DTIVO; Having some success with PocketDivXEncoder; still looking at a few other tools, as well...

Thanks folks!

What's the latest on the audio sync issues?

I have a Sony SV2000 series 1. I'm trying to create mpeg4 files for use on an Archos Jukebox20. I use the latest version of TyTool.
I download the program from the TiVo to create a ty file.
I make the key file, and make my cuts.
I then generate the mpg file.
When I play the mpg file, the audio is still in sync. Using the mpg file as input, I've tried Gordianknot, Dr. Divx and PocketDivxEncoder. I still get about a 1 second lag.

Does anyone have a definitive method for getting from ty to mpeg4?

FredThompson
10-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Hello? Anyone? Little help?mux to vob - frameserve via AviSynth.

http://www.doom9.org

johnny
10-22-2004, 05:06 PM
This is what you need:

http://divx.ppccool.com/

What I do is I extract the video from the Tivo in MPG format with audio option #5, SVCD format and I patch video holes. Once the MPG is on the PC I run it trhough PocketDivcEncoder. After encoding I sync/fix audio/video (another option).

Very easy to do and works every time for me.

Good luck.
John