PDA

View Full Version : Aspect ratio problem

Reno76
11-30-2002, 08:00 AM
Hi
I can extract files from my SA UK Tivo using the fab Tytool:)
However when I play the resulting mpeg in media player the aspect ratio is all wrong.
After much reading here I cant find a method to correct this.

Do I have to adjust the Basic quality settings to adjust the aspect ratio that Tivo records at in order to get an mpeg that media player will show properly? If so can someone post the settings that I need to make?

Or do I have to apply a change thru DVDPatcher that would just change the header?

Or am I completely missing the point and need to perform some other operation?

Thanks to all for the awesome tools and advice!

Reno76

captain_video
11-30-2002, 09:32 AM
I'm not all that familiar with UK SA Tivos but it sounds like media player is playing the aspect ratio that it is seeing (i.e. 480X480). The resolution of a UK SA Tivo may be somewhat different as I am more versed in DirecTivos. The extracted tystream is not a DVD-compliant format and does not play back correctly on most Windows-based media players. Changing the recording settings won't do anything for you except get you a better picture. It still won't play back on a media player. You might give DVD Patcher a try but I don't know if it will do anything.

Reno76
11-30-2002, 09:57 AM
So changing the aspect ratio that Tivo records via Resource manager will have no impact on what I see in Media Player?

If the resolution that is set for recording is changed to 720x576 then what would I expect to be displayed on a 4:3 aspect TV?

I guess that I would get a letterboxed picture...in which case what would media player show?

So many questions and I have so little knowledge:(

Your help and enlightenment is much appreciated!

Reno76

keith721
11-30-2002, 01:11 PM
If you have a copy of Windows Media Player 6.4 still around, I've seen cases on my Win98SE system, where it displays things more consistently than WMP 7.x. My experience is in the US, with a Sony SVR-2000 Standalone TiVo, where just about everything shows up as 480x480. Good luck! :) :)

Reno76
11-30-2002, 03:05 PM
Aha!
I have just been playing with zoomplayer which seems quite happy to resize the 480x480 mpg from a tystream!

Hope this helps someone out there!

Reno76