PDA

View Full Version : seeking automated extraction advice

phildog
12-04-2002, 11:21 PM
OK, I've read quite a bit but it is really just starting to become a jumble in my head so I'll just risk the flaming and ask for help...

I have a DirecTivo SAT-T60 from sony with 25xtreme, Kraven's upgrade, and a working turbonet installed.

The tivo is on a LAN with both a windows box and a RH Linux box.

What I'm looking for is an automated way to extract a show from the tivo and have it moved to either the linux or win2k box in the middle of the night. (Once it is there, I will probably move it to my 20gig Pocketec portable HD to bring to "work" and watch at my leisure, but moving it there is the easy part).

Now I started playing with some things and got an extraction with TyTool5 to work and save the split files to my win2k box, but I'm thinking someone must have done EXACTLY what I want already...

So, does anyone have a quick recipe for making this happen? I don't really care about burning dvds or vcds or any of that stuff--I just want a working MPEG file that is ready to use without any manual steps if possible.

I started looking through all this stuff about MUXing etc etc and thought MAN! here is a whole lot of stuff I really don't care to learn.

ps. I'm willing to pay for utilities if the best solution involves commercial software.

phildog
12-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Riley,

Thanks for your help. I'm almost there...

I successfully got mfsstream working with tivoweb and extracted a ty file:
CliffordtheBigRedDog.ty
(just testing, and I have a kid who loves this show)

Then I used vsplit:
vsplit13 CliffordtheBigRedDog.ty CliffordtheBigRedDog.m2v CliffordtheBigRedDog.m2a

But now I'm having trouble getting mplex to do its thing. Can you suggest a command line to use to make it work?

thanks,
Phil

phildog
12-05-2002, 05:01 PM
never mind, this seemed to do the trick:
mplex -f 4 -O -8 -o clifford.mpeg2 CliffordtheBigRedDog.m2a CliffordtheBigRedDog.m2v

where -8 was the offset as reported by vsplit... This command line courtesy of your friends at Google.com.

Thanks for your help! Next up, set up the automation piece with cron or something...

One more question: I'm seeing some weirdness with the mfsstream add-in for tivoweb. Specificly, it seems to get confused with two shows with the same name.

The url for two different ty files will be exactly the same:
http://tivo/mfsstream/CliffordtheBigRedDog.ty
http://tivo/mfsstream/CliffordtheBigRedDog.ty

has anyone seen this problem and come up with a work-around? It looks like no matter which link I click, I end up getting the show recorded more recently. (the version is mfsstreamweb97)

thanks,
Phil

lmurray
12-05-2002, 05:33 PM
For what it's worth, I use the negative of the offset of vsplit in mplex. I've had a few people suggest it may sync closer.

(so -8 would be 8)

YMMV
-lloyd-

zodiacal
12-09-2002, 05:13 PM
how can i set my system up to run another app after my files have been extracted? or would i have to run a timer say 1 hour after i think the would be done at. is there way to have my extraction tools run another program after they are done? i use tytool and/or tivoapp.

browe
12-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Phil...is it possible to setup an automated extraction without having a Linux box? I have several Windows boxes and would like to have them wake up during the night.

1. Extract shows from Tivo to PC.
2. Convert Tivo-format files to MPEG or other formats.

Can this be done? I also have a Sony T60 with a turbonet card with TivoWeb installed.

Thanks,
Brian

phildog
12-12-2002, 08:48 PM
Brian,

What OS are you running? Win2K has a control panel called "scheduled tasks" that will let you schedule scripts/programs to run at a specific time. That could work.

I'm not sure, however, how to automatically move the .ty files over to the windows box. I've seen some threads that mention setting up an NFS server on the windows box and scheduling the tivo to move things with cron. I've got cron setup on my tivo but haven't found the NFS stuff yet.

Maybe one of the veterans here can chime in and fill the gaping holes I've left?

Phil

zodiacal
12-12-2002, 08:51 PM
i would just run tytool/tivoapp and pick the movies you want to extract then have a timer (windows scheudaler) run a task during the night to transcode or multiplex or whatever... but i can't get to this stage yet because everytime i try to multiplex my streams my video stops playing after 20 mins of watching the mpeg. i don't know why. but when i use a frame server such as dvd2avi and multiplex with that it works.. so i digress... i will go write some batch files now...

Pr.Sinister
12-13-2002, 02:13 AM
If you use the TiVoWeb with MFSStream module and a download
manager approach, it's extremely easy to do.

Most download managers will let you execute a command on
a file when it is done downloading. If it doesn't, it at least
lets you Open that file after. So all you have to do is create
a batch file that will run your splitter/muxer on the .TY file.

Then you register the TY file types in windows and make the
default Open action to run the batch file you created.

Easy as pie...

If you need help with creating the batch file and/or how to
associate TY files with that batch file, let me know and i'll
give you a step by step...

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
12-13-2002, 02:19 AM
I shouldn't read the forum at 1:30am... I skip things..

I just noticed Riley suggested the same thing (associating
TY files to a batch) right after he suggested the download
manager...

I'm going to bed...

-Pr.

zodiacal
12-13-2002, 02:54 AM
what download manager would you guys suggest?

browe
12-13-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by phildog
Brian,

What OS are you running? Win2K has a control panel called "scheduled tasks" that will let you schedule scripts/programs to run at a specific time. That could work.

I'm not sure, however, how to automatically move the .ty files over to the windows box. I've seen some threads that mention setting up an NFS server on the windows box and scheduling the tivo to move things with cron. I've got cron setup on my tivo but haven't found the NFS stuff yet.

Maybe one of the veterans here can chime in and fill the gaping holes I've left?

Phil

Phil...I am using Windows 2000 Professional but could use 2000 Server, NT, or XP if needed (I have legal licenses for all of them). I am familar with the scheduled tasks in control panel and hadn't thought of using that method. Automating getting the files over is my concern.

browe
12-13-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Pr.Sinister
If you use the TiVoWeb with MFSStream module and a download
manager approach, it's extremely easy to do.

Most download managers will let you execute a command on
a file when it is done downloading. If it doesn't, it at least
lets you Open that file after. So all you have to do is create
a batch file that will run your splitter/muxer on the .TY file.

Then you register the TY file types in windows and make the
default Open action to run the batch file you created.

Easy as pie...

If you need help with creating the batch file and/or how to
associate TY files with that batch file, let me know and i'll
give you a step by step...

-Pr.

Pr...how would you automate TivoWeb or MFSStream to download something on a nightly basis? As far as download managers go, are you speaking of something like GetRight? From what I am reading about that, it has the ability to schedule downloads. I just downloaded it and pointed it at a file here in my office from one of my web servers. I am assuming I would be pointing it at a file on my Tivo for this to work as planned. I just tested a scheduled download, but it hasn't worked yet..

Forgive my ignorance, but as Phil pointed out previously, each "same-name" show appears to be named the same (url-wise). If there are 2 episodes a day of Seinfeld being recorded, and both have the same URL, how would you automate the download of each one?

Brian

Pr.Sinister
12-14-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by zodiacal
what download manager would you guys suggest?

I used to swear by GetRight but now i am an avid fan of FlashGet

Pr.Sinister
12-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by browe
Pr...how would you automate TivoWeb or MFSStream to download something on a nightly basis? As far as download managers go, are you speaking of something like GetRight? From what I am reading about that, it has the ability to schedule downloads. I just downloaded it and pointed it at a file here in my office from one of my web servers. I am assuming I would be pointing it at a file on my Tivo for this to work as planned. I just tested a scheduled download, but it hasn't worked yet..

Forgive my ignorance, but as Phil pointed out previously, each "same-name" show appears to be named the same (url-wise). If there are 2 episodes a day of Seinfeld being recorded, and both have the same URL, how would you automate the download of each one?

Brian

I guess i misunderstood what you guys wanted. I was under the impression that all you wanted was to at least do a little bit of work in telling the Download Manager what shows you wanted. So you would add all files to be downloaded in your download list but schedule them for 2am. When you wake up, files would be downloaded and splited or muxed depending on what commands you automatically run on them.

Adding the files to the download list is a 30 second process.

Now for the duplicate URL's, couldn't you just run TiVoTitle
to fix that? You would have the name of the show with the
Episode name in the filename no?

-Pr.

zodiacal
12-14-2002, 01:29 PM
what about shows that don't have episode titles? i.e. news broadcasts etc.

browe
12-14-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Pr.Sinister
I guess i misunderstood what you guys wanted. I was under the impression that all you wanted was to at least do a little bit of work in telling the Download Manager what shows you wanted. So you would add all files to be downloaded in your download list but schedule them for 2am. When you wake up, files would be downloaded and splited or muxed depending on what commands you automatically run on them.

Adding the files to the download list is a 30 second process.

Now for the duplicate URL's, couldn't you just run TiVoTitle
to fix that? You would have the name of the show with the
Episode name in the filename no?

-Pr.

Come on PR...we want it all!!! :)

I can tell Download Manager what I want. That isn't a problem (I had planned on doing that anyway given I don't want everything to come down). I record the 7pm and 11pm shows of Seinfeld. They are different episodes. The URL is the same (http://tivoIP/seinfeld.ty). Will TivoTitle fix this and if so, what is TivoTitle?

Thanks,
Brian

Pr.Sinister
12-15-2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by browe
Come on PR...we want it all!!! :)

I can tell Download Manager what I want. That isn't a problem (I had planned on doing that anyway given I don't want everything to come down). I record the 7pm and 11pm shows of Seinfeld. They are different episodes. The URL is the same (http://tivoIP/seinfeld.ty). Will TivoTitle fix this and if so, what is TivoTitle?

Thanks,
Brian

Hehehe... TiVoTitle will rename a show automatically to include
the episode title, amongst other things. So instead of your
Now Showing list saying :

Seinfeld 12/15
Seinfeld 12/15

It will say :

Seinfeld - The Soup Nazi 12/15
Seinfeld - The Contest 12/15

So in theory, your URLs should now change in mfsstream.

I haven't tried it since i only used MFSStream briefly before
i strated using TyTool to get my shows off the TiVo.

-Pr.

AlphaWolf
12-15-2002, 01:20 AM
Not all shows will have episode titles/descriptions, so that won't work all the time.

Why don't you extract by FSID instead? that would completely eliminate dup'ed URLs. Tivodvlprs tarexport allows doing this.

Silverdude
12-16-2002, 01:19 PM
Why not add the FID at the end of all file names, then if two are the same, they wont be...

SD

phildog
12-16-2002, 01:43 PM
How do I extract the FID?

Un-related question, is there a way to dump the program-guide's contents to an XML file and somehow include this FID thingy? (I'm thinking about building a zap2it.com -ish guide that includes a "record now" icon. When I click the icon, I want to link to the tivoweb page that checks for a conflict before recording. But, I don't know how to build the link that is used on that page) This should probably be a separate thread. If I don't hear anything I'll make a new one.

I did the requisite dealdatabase search for FID but couldn't find anything useful. Is it documented anywhere?

AlphaWolf
12-16-2002, 01:53 PM
Thats FSID. FSID stands for (I am guessing here and am probably right) File System Identification. Think of an FSID as being the same as a name of a file you keep on your hard drive. MFS doesn't use names though, it just uses numbers instead. Files in MFS contain either indexing information, or video streams. The particular FSID you want to target in this case is the one that contains the index information relavent to the specific tystream you want to extract (which contains the FSID's of the actual tystream you are extracting, as well as all of the guide data). We have an XML system in place with our tar spec which does what your asking already, just nobody is yet to use it.

phildog
12-16-2002, 02:19 PM
That sounds pretty darn interesting.

Where can I find the "tar spec"?

Who are the "we" you refer to? people working on a specific project? which one?

thanks and some more info would be appreciated.

Originally posted by AlphaWolf
We have an XML system in place with our tar spec which does what your asking already, just nobody is yet to use it.

AlphaWolf
12-16-2002, 02:36 PM
skim through this thread: http://alt.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=18&start=0&rid=23&S=c0ed5148508db135667a68e91857e4a4

rc3105
12-11-2003, 05:36 AM
just a fyi, the GetRight 4.5d browser & download manager work nicely with mfs_ftp