PDA

View Full Version : help:second hdd

robpegs
12-06-2002, 05:19 PM
trying to add a second hard drive, i run the boot disc ,loggin to the root , but having a problem with, /dev/hdb or even getting into the /dev dir , i get the message , permision denied , any help email to rstyles@onetel.net.uk saying that cant get into any dir , get the same message permission denied , let me know
rob

captain_video
12-12-2002, 10:21 AM
Make sure you're using MFS Tools 2.0 and Hinsdale's How To for instructions on using it.

robpegs
12-13-2002, 10:02 AM
cheers thanks for the help!:)

jfkjfk
12-14-2002, 06:50 PM
If your just adding a second drive. can't you just boot Hinsdale cd, blesstivo the new drive and pop it into the DTIVO.. without using mfstools??

jfkjfk

captain_video
12-15-2002, 02:12 AM
MFS Tools 2.0 is the software that is on the boot CD. Hinsdale's How To is the instructions for using MFS Tools to perform the upgrade. Read Hinsdale's and it will tell you how to add a 2nd drive using MFS Tools 2.0.

robpegs
12-15-2002, 08:42 AM
im using all the software you mention and "how to doc" , but still having above problem,
ok this is what am am doing ,
ive placed a 60 gb hard (wd) drive on my pc ,primary slave and set the jumpers on this hard drive to slave ,hard drive is seen ok by bios and winXP as primary slave ,i have made the boot disk ,well two boot disks ,one with mfstools and also one called tivo boot ,they look and run the same ,also made a cd boot disc , but for now ill stick with the floppy , ok i boot from the floppy and all seems to load fine from the data on loading boot disk ,this show both drives was seen, now im presented with the bash prompt , one of the boot disks you have to type "root" to login ,now i get to the bash prompt if i type ls i get a list of the dir but if i try typing say /dev/hdb i get the message saying permision denied
if i type /dev i get the same .
if i type CD dev that will work but once in that dir i get the message saying cant access hdb ,after trying hdb. Have tried this all on two drives and get the same errors any clues????
rob , thanks for the reply

robpegs
12-15-2002, 11:18 AM
Found out the problem , well it sorted it out anyway, last week i flashed a new beta bios , so i changed back to the old one and bingo all working now, thankyou all for your help, still not sure why this beta dont work ,anyway all working now

jfkjfk
12-15-2002, 02:11 PM
It also says that if you're only adding a second drive, to read the original doc.. Which says you need only bless tivo the second drive.. using either the blesstivo boot floppy or Kazymyr's Boot CD.. I haven't done this, but am getting my drive in a couple days and want to be sure..
but this way illiminates the need to pull the original tivo drive out... so long as I am understanding it correctly..

jfkjfk

jfkjfk
12-18-2002, 08:09 PM
ok.. got new drive.. blesstivo'd it.. installed in dtivo.. still showing only 35 hours.. I guess I need to try MFStools, although I'm not sure why this didn't work..

jfkjfk

jfkjfk
12-18-2002, 09:13 PM
ok.. the answer if anyone cares is.. you could just blesstivo and install the new drive in a typical single drive unit.. but not an xtremed unit.. I've ended up getting the second drive recognized, but lost all my recordings in the process.. oh well..

jfkjfk

dturturro
03-23-2003, 03:02 PM
jfkjfk

I am having the same problem with an xtremed (2.5.2) DTiVo. How did you finally get the second drive recognized?

jfkjfk
03-23-2003, 07:10 PM
It's been a while since I did this.. My terminology is going to be off but basically the exteme image is already an expanded image and thus can't accept another drive.. so you need to backup the image and then restore the image to your original drive(or another drive).. (Im pretty sure it's covered in the original MFS tools faq).. the restore process somehow then makes the image able to access another drive... for details find the mfstools faq and read the appropriate section.. anyhow.. by doing this I was able to get things to work.... I did lose my recordings though...

Good Luck..

jfkjfk