PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet or Serial?

hjm357
12-08-2002, 05:18 PM
If I want to hack my sony t-60, and dont really care about accessing it on the web or anything of that sort, is it worth buying the ethernet card for the tivo? sorry for my ignorance, but what do the interfaces look like with each. with ethernet set up, can i view my TIVOs drive like I would the hard drive of another PC i was networked to or can i use an FTP program like WinFTP and get a normal directory structure? im also gonna assume the ethernet is faster, but exactly how much faster is it? IŽd like to extract video and burn it with my DVD burner, would this be painfully slow over serial?

KingsHead
12-08-2002, 08:04 PM
If you want to extract, then your only choice is turbonet (ethernet). serial would take days for one show.

AlphaWolf
12-08-2002, 08:47 PM
You can also pull out the hard drive and extract it from a PC, thats the way I did it before I put an ethernet in mine.

KingsHead
12-09-2002, 01:12 AM
Yeah, you could do it that way, but 60 bucks (or whatever it is now) for a turbonet is far more attractive then;
hauling the Dtivo to your PC, opening the case of both, fishing the drives out, messing with IDE cables and power connectors, booting the mess, extracting the files and then having to put it all back together again.
Wheww! what a process:eek:
Turbonet, ethernet cable, switch and TyToolv5. Voila, extract in a 45 minutes or so, author and burn.
Like I said, Turbonet is your only choice. YEAH BABY!:D

Say, AlphaWolf, you wouldn't happen to be able to point me towards a certain, ahhhh, *******.btl file would you:D

AlphaWolf
12-09-2002, 01:47 AM
That all depends on how you go about it with the hard drives, as it can be much easier than that if you are creative. And no, I don't deal with those kind of hacks here.

captain_video
12-09-2002, 09:26 AM
Removable drive bays are dirt cheap (about $7.50 each) and work great for swapping out drives without having to crack open the PC. They won't fit inside the DTivo case so you'd have to leave the cover off. I'm in and out of mine so much that I just leave the covers off anyway plus the drives seem to run a bit cooler that way. Turbonet is definitely the way to go, however.

Disconnect
12-09-2002, 04:40 PM
I'm currently extracting over serial. It SUCKS. Plain and simple. Any number of things can happen to cause it to abort, which means if you want a valid stream you have to start over. ATM I am working on a 1 hour show, it should take just under 3 days to get both chunks.

That said, for everything else (installing hacks, tivoweb, ...) serial works fine and is dramatically cheaper if you have a computer near the Tivo. I built a serial cable for it in about 1 hour and for about $8 (including the d-sub crimper) from Shadeyo-Hack^WRadioShack.

compwiz312
12-10-2002, 05:45 PM
How do you extract by removing the hard drive?

Justin