PDA

View Full Version : teraterm vs turbonet

blitzgerald
12-12-2002, 05:52 PM
newbie ?
Can I extract video via teraterm, or will it be painfully slow in comparison to turbonet???
tnx in advance

Pr.Sinister
12-12-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by blitzgerald
newbie ?
Can I extract video via teraterm, or will it be painfully slow in comparison to turbonet???
tnx in advance

Apples and Oranges.

You are comparing software with hardware.

I think what you want to know is the difference between
extracting over serial connection or ethernet connection.

Serial will be waaaaaaayyyyyy too slow man. Just get a
TurboNet... Worth every penny.

-Pr.

captain_video
12-12-2002, 10:06 PM
You need both TeraTerm and a TurboNet to perform extraction. TurboNet is an ethernet adapter that allows you to communicate with your DTivo. TeraTerm is a communications program that allows you to establish a telnet session with your DTivo via the TurboNet adapter. Video is extracted using TivoWeb and ExtractStream, TivoApp, or Tytool. Check out the FAQ and the How To's threads in the DirecTivo hacking section of the forum for more info.

rd001
12-14-2002, 03:58 PM
I think I read a post by someone the other day that they were extracting a one-hour video from Tivo via serial and it took something like three days.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever completed a decent movie download. Serial transfer isn't too reliable.

Maybe you would have the patience to extract, say, a single South Park episode and a single Star Trek show per week. Any extended period of serial transfer is almost certain to produce data errors on a regular basis. I don't think you'll really enjoy the process much.

If you're serious about using Tivo to build a video library, you have to fork over for the relatively overpriced TurboNet. But given the limited market for them, you can hardly expect them to be sold for $20 like ordinary NICs are. If it helps, I've never seen anyone complain that they thought it was a waste of money after they bought it.

AlphaWolf
12-14-2002, 05:09 PM
You can build your own turbonet FYI, jafa has published all of the schematics and everything to the web. But you'll find it costs more to build a turbonet than it does to buy one since they buy these parts in bulk, as well as a lot of time and headache.