PDA

View Full Version : What happens if boot299.btl file is bad.

grooves12
12-17-2002, 02:28 AM
I am beginning to start looking at making some modifications to the boot299.btl file, but I was wondering what happens if I screw it up and upload an invalid file?? Will the receiver still boot?? Will I still be able to get to a bash prompt to replace the file with the original?? ... or would I be hosed and have to remove the hard drive to repair the problem??

r00g
12-17-2002, 06:02 PM
I used the following tip, located in the "Tips of the Trade" sticky thread in the "DirecTV Tivo Hacking Forum, when messing with anything that could render my Tivo unbootable.

Originally posted by chinhster
This is an excellent tip but to expand on it a bit, how about

if [ -e /var/hack/foo ]; then
# put the original code here if applicable
else
touch /var/hack/foo
# put your test code here
rm -f /var/hack/foo
fi

This requires less interaction from you and if your test code fails,
it'll run your original code instead after you reboot.

-Chinhster

If you mess up completely and say, don't chmod +x your important file if transferring or make a serious syntax mistake, you can always take the hard drive out of the tivo, boot into a TivoMad or other such Tivo Utility Boot CD, navigate to the active partition and remove/modify the offending file.

not too bad all in all.

Glitched
12-23-2002, 08:55 PM
Yes, If that file is bad, the unit will not boot, and you will not have bash. You would have to repair it in a PC.

lgp
12-27-2002, 11:11 PM
I am by no means an "expert" but thought since this thread existed I would not start a new one.

So been tweaking on my boot299 file and finally locked up my TiVo.

I have the drives mounted in my PC(using TiVoBoot31) and want to transfer my boot299 backup over but I am having problems finding the file.

I'm not having any luck in mounting the hdc4, hdc7, or hdc9 partitions. What I get is: "mount: can't find /dev/hdc4 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab".

Here is what I have when I type "mount" I get
/dev/ram0 on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)

When I run "cat /proc/mounts" I get
none / shm rw 0 0
none pipe: pepefs rw 0 0
none / proc rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 ro 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0

So a bit stuck at this point.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

groundhog
03-14-2003, 09:22 AM
How would we do this with the boot299 file. Say I replaced the boot299 file with a different one(and backed the original as boot299.bak). Would I do it somewhat like what I show below?

if [ -e /var/hack/foo ]; then
cd /etccombo
rm boot299.btl
mv boot299.bak boot299.btl
reboot
else
touch /var/hack/foo
# Do nothing because I've already replace the file?
rm -f /var/hack/foo
fi

Or would it be something like this?:
if [ -e /etccombo/foo ]; then
rm boot299.btl
mv boot299.bak boot299.btl
reboot
else
touch /etccombo/foo
# Do nothing because I've already replace the file?
rm -f /etccombo/foo
fi

OR, just post what you think should be done?