PDA

View Full Version : AVI/MPEG/VOB upload to TiVo - is it possible to generate ty from MPG?

zodiacal
12-19-2002, 02:37 PM
is there a way to put video on a tivo and watch it? i.e. extract a vob from a dvd and then upload that to my tivo?

danhi
11-25-2003, 08:43 PM
Is it possible to convert an AVI or MPEG file to a .ty file that can be uploaded back to the TiVo?

compwiz312
11-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Simple answer: NO
More complicated answer: it is possible to make a stream that will work in pre 2.0 software, but AFAIK its not possible beyond that.

rc3105
11-26-2003, 09:59 AM
tivos through 2.x included a utility called ele2pestriple. ele2pestriple muxes elemental mpg audio & video into ty that'll plays on tivos with 2.x sw & up (ele2pestiple doesn't run under 3.x tivo sw, but the ty it produces work fine there)

josetann
11-29-2003, 06:20 AM
I've tried running this on a DirecTivo with 2.5.2 software, but all it ever manages to do is reboot the system. I too would like to create ty streams out of mpeg2 files for playback on the Tivo.

rc3105
11-29-2003, 06:28 AM
/tvlib/tcl/tv/file-to-recording.tcl

shows you how to use ele2pestriple

mbriody
12-07-2003, 03:36 PM
I'm successfuly sing mfs_ftp to extract ty+ files to my PC and subsequently convert these to standard .mpg files.

I have a number of VCD's and SVCD's which I'd like to move onto my TiVo so is it possible to go the other way and generate ty+ from .mpg?

lart2150
12-07-2003, 04:15 PM
no. i'm kindof working on a program to do this but i'm learning about ty files

udecker
01-10-2004, 10:53 PM
no. i'm kindof working on a program to do this but i'm learning about ty files

Any word on this? I've also checked out /tvlib/tcl/tv/file-to-recording.tcl, but it never accepts what I give to it - the problem is getting the right kind of files into MFS I assume. (I'm using ver. 3 on a S1 SA Sony).

So - we know what comprises a ty file, what else do we need to generate these from existing m2v and m2a files?

-Craig

lart2150
01-12-2004, 08:21 PM
what happned is I learned that i'm not good at learing from code. there were some people that pointed me in the direction to go but it was to much to learn over winter brake (all of december).

stonkus
01-15-2004, 12:10 AM
I'm sure someones covered this, but the search feature here is so awful :mad: Obvious need - to be able to put downloaded SVCD's straight onto the Tivo.

stonk

Hi8
01-16-2004, 11:00 AM
I'm sure someones covered this, but the search feature here is so awful :mad: Obvious need - to be able to put downloaded SVCD's straight onto the Tivo.

stonk
Why would you want to do that? SVCD is about as good a VHS you ar better off just watching it from the SVCD -- seems like a complete waste of time working on something that goes back in time as far a quality and functionallity goes. Buy a $35 wal-mart player and watch the SVCD that way -- Most people here are trying to get stuff OFF their TiVos to watch at a later time, not the other way around. :confused:

erhan
01-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Why would you want to do that? SVCD is about as good a VHS you ar better off just watching it from the SVCD -- seems like a complete waste of time working on something that goes back in time as far a quality and functionallity goes. Buy a $35 wal-mart player and watch the SVCD that way -- Most people here are trying to get stuff OFF their TiVos to watch at a later time, not the other way around. :confused:
I fully agree on the quality, but the need arises when you have kids and their videos. It's pretty easy to convert VHS tapes, etc to low-res, small MPG files, but the CDs have a tendency to scratch when left on the floor and stepped on. Besides, having them in the Tivo where you don't have to rewind, look for the right CD at the wrong time, etc is definitely worth it. Too bad it cannot be done.

Zauberer
01-16-2004, 02:18 PM
or maybe we really want to put those digital videos we took of our honeymoon on the tivo for easy access ;)

rd001
01-16-2004, 02:47 PM
... but the CDs have a tendency to scratch when left on the floor and stepped on.Okay. I can see that the top Tivo developers need to stop all other work and concentrate on inserting cheesy AVIs and MPGs into a Tivo so you can stop ruining your CDs and DVDs by walking on them. Obviously, this is the only solution.

TheWickedPriest
01-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Why would you want to do that?To save burn time? Although transfer time is probably higher... Also, if you have a movie that's split into two or more SVCDs, you could combine the parts into one. (You could also do this by putting them onto a DVD, of course -- which might or might not work, depending on your player, and would probably necessitate reencoding at least the audio.)

SVCD is about as good a VHS you ar better off just watching it from the SVCD -- seems like a complete waste of time working on something that goes back in time as far a quality and functionallity goes.What are you talking about? Converting SVCD mpeg's to ty wouldn't involve reencoding, so the quality would be the same. Functionality would arguably be better -- 30-second skip and instant replay, for example, aren't found on most DVD players.

wkozun
01-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Okay. I can see that the top Tivo developers need to stop all other work and concentrate on inserting cheesy AVIs and MPGs into a Tivo so you can stop ruining your CDs and DVDs by walking on them. Obviously, this is the only solution.

Can we be a little more sarcastic, you don't happen to also post under the name of David Bought do you ;)

Don't forget it is most likely the kids who are walking on the CDs and DVDs, unless he is freaking out after having seen the same video 799 times.

malfunct
01-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Some people have had some success turning non-tivo streams into .ty files so it can be done, and probably with tools that already exist if you dig around enough.

A work around if you can't figure it out and have a SA tivo is to just play the svcd into the tivo and record it. There is the whole issue of d->a->d conversion and loss of quality, but if its for kids then who cares, it will get the job done.

erhan
01-16-2004, 05:50 PM
My reason to insert regular mpgs into Tivo is purely because of the kids movies. The quality is not important. Having quick access to them is what I'm after. However, it's not worth (to me at least) to kill myself looking for solutions, converter and such. If it was readily available I would use it. If I had a standalone I would have recorded it at the lowest possible resolution. Even as it is, I'm recording a bunch of kids shows and it really is a waste of space to me to have them recorded in the "Best" or DirecTV quality.

As I said, it's not important enough for me and I wouldn't think it is for most people. If you're patient enough, you can find most of the kids stuff on TV at some point and that's what the keyword wishlist is for. :-)

wkozun
01-16-2004, 05:57 PM
My reason to insert regular mpgs into Tivo is purely because of the kids movies. The quality is not important. Having quick access to them is what I'm after.

It's not free but one solution is to buy a Connected DVD player (the Gateway one costs about $190 for a wired LAN) or similar media server that will play video over your LAN, assuming you have your TiVo connected to your LAN. This way you could play any MPEG file that is on your hard drive and the access is quick, you just pick the show from a list.

Hi8
01-16-2004, 06:03 PM
What are you talking about? Converting SVCD mpeg's to ty wouldn't involve reencoding, so the quality would be the same. Functionality would arguably be better -- 30-second skip and instant replay, for example, aren't found on most DVD players.

I meant that SVCD is on par with VHS as far as quality (transcode all you want you are NEVER going to get it better than the source material). IMHO that is Sh!t, hence my handle on this board. Hi8 - sure I have recorded my Hi8 tapes using my Sony SAs - in my opinion that is the way to do it, even though it's an analog signal, recording a quality source DVD, DV, Hi8, Digital8 all look as good as a native SA recording. anything less IMHO is garbage.

oh yet SVCD is also stone age .. when you can buy dvd-r media for less than a $1 why spend the time. Unless your time is worth less than a $1 perhour.

gobsmack
01-16-2004, 06:46 PM
I bought a 400 DVD sony changer, in which I threw all the kids DVDs (and am now stuffing it with DVDs burned via TyTools..).

No more scratched DVDs -- kids/babysitters can pick movies via the remote and que up the right DVD in seconds. Probably about as fast as my slow Tivo can let me play a show from Now Showing...

Think of it as a server with 3.8TB of storage space (400 x 9.4G).

Now...... Riley *claims* to have some interface from his TiVo to HIS DVD Changer, but the bloke has never produced a single line of source code to substantiate this claim...

Maybe now that we have this sticky thread to fend off newbies, he'll be saving so much time he can release that code to all of us plebeians?

gobsmack
01-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Just doing the math here on whether this was actually cost effective on a per gigabyte basis.... Note: this is highly sensitive to current media prices and hard drive prices, so don't bother debunking this after Jan 2004...

400 DVD blanks at $1.50 apiece = $ 600
1 400-dvd changer = $ 340
total ---------
$ 940

assume 4.5GB of storage on each = 1800GB of storage space

$940 / 1800 = $0.52 per gigabyte.

** which only holds if you max out every disc **

Nevertheless, I haven't seen 200 Gig drives for less than about $150 or so(Newegg), so not a bad deal. Plus your movies are protected from viruses and crashes. If blanks fall in price, you've got an even better deal. QED

rd001
01-16-2004, 09:19 PM
I replied with words to the effect of "just wait, sooner or later somebody will invent it," to which I received responses like "yeah right," yet here we are (http://www.dvdrw.com/press/duallayer.htm)Okay. Events have proven you right. It remains to be seen how reliable such disks will be. Seems pretty dicey but they'll get it to work eventually, I suppose. I just find it hard to imagine 16x burning of dual-layer discs producing anything very reliable. But then, I used to say the same kind of stuff about high-speed CD-R burning and overburning. A lot of us still distrust the high-speed stuff. But many others find it works fine for them.

Feels great to be vindicated, don't it?

FredThompson
01-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Now...... Riley *claims* to have some interface from his TiVo to HIS DVD Changer, but the bloke has never produced a single line of source code to substantiate this claim...

Maybe now that we have this sticky thread to fend off newbies, he'll be saving so much time he can release that code to all of us plebeians?It shouldn't be that tough to do this. There are already a few s-link packages available for programming. Google and you'll find them. Personally, I'd like the basic functions available for Win2KXP. The current libraries don't support that and I've no desire ot try to learn the Win API.

FredThompson
01-16-2004, 10:34 PM
400 DVD blanks at $1.50 apiece = $ 600
Supermediastore and Meritline sell Ritek and Optodisc at good prices. A better figure is $1/blank.

FredThompson
01-16-2004, 10:36 PM
I just find it hard to imagine 16x burning of dual-layer discs producing anything very reliable. But then, I used to say the same kind of stuff about high-speed CD-R burning and overburning. A lot of us still distrust the high-speed stuff.You've seen beam-splitting writers, haven't you? The reported speed is data writing speed, not spinning. Still, how to pump that much data across a bus and not screw the blank up when the mouse is nudged...

jg123
01-16-2004, 10:57 PM
d70, after his work on tyshow component felt he had a pretty good handle on the ty structure, and professes it wouldn't be hard to write an mpg to ty muxer.
Link to discussion. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140231#post140231)

rc3105
01-17-2004, 02:25 AM

I replaced the audio mechanism in 400 disk sony cd changers with sony dvd rw drives, each rev is an improvement over the last, built 3 so far. they're currently run off usb->ide adapters from gentoox on an xbox & a usb -> serial adapter forwards commands to atmel at90s2313-10 ($2 in bulk, same chip as in dtv card programmers, the tivo ir controller + lots of hobby projects) which manages the actuall disk load / change mechanism

I've got 1200 dvd slots of near-line storage & ~30 gig of proxy cache in the xbox. the interface is a variation on mfs_ftp, it appears to the rest of the network as a 6tb ftp server. (haven't filled all the slots yet)

last batch of bulk dvd-rw was about $0.65 each == $0.13/gig == $11 for 80 gig

all sorts of interesting things here that may or may not ever see the light of day - if the tbservers were allready ***** proof I'd be selling them through 9th tee :p

lart2150
01-17-2004, 01:12 PM
if you don't want to burn or wait for some one to make a mpeg2->ty converter (I don't think it will happen. I would do it but I don't want to look through 100k of code. if there was a nice document that describes how ty files differ from mpeg2 files I might be able to forge a header chunk and then convert svcd to ty but ya) you can get a xbox mod it and use xbmp/xbmc. with the remote it's just WOW. you can play ANY format out there and stream right of your computer (windows, mac, linux, tivo...). total cost will be around $200 but there is SOOO much you can do with an xbox(that's also why I gave up with making ty files I got a xbox).

TheWickedPriest
01-17-2004, 01:45 PM
I meant that SVCD is on par with VHS as far as quality1. That's not true -- SVCD is miles beyond VHS.

2. It's not what you were arguing. You said "you ar [sic] better off just watching it from the SVCD". You were implying that there would be a quality loss in going from SVCD to Tivo (which is not true), not that SVCD was low quality.

(transcode all you want you are NEVER going to get it better than the source material).Duh. But again, this thread is about a (hypothetical) process of conversion WITHOUT transcoding. It's purely remuxing -- the video and audio streams would be exactly the same. No quality loss.

oh yet SVCD is also stone age .. when you can buy dvd-r media for less than a $1 why spend the time. Unless your time is worth less than a $1 perhour.I don't disagree. But the original question was about material that was already in SVCD form; so the superiority of DVD is off the point.

Hi8
01-17-2004, 10:37 PM
can't reply right now ... busy converting all my CDs to 8-track :o

lart2150
01-17-2004, 11:00 PM
svcd is better then most of the modes that tivo records in. tivo only supports 1 setting higher and it's not that much more.

FredThompson
01-17-2004, 11:04 PM
This is ridiculous. ty is an inferior form of MPEG2 and you'd have to really hack it up to do a conversion to ty. The cost of the time to create a conversion to ty eceeds that of a disk-based playback device.

rc3105
01-18-2004, 08:03 AM
(way oversimplified but here goes)

ty IS mpg. it's well within the range of variation you see in mpg from various sources so labeling it inferior isn't really accurate. what distinguishes it as ty is the added window dressing myworld uses for ff/rw/skipto/replay (ty from a dtv feed is strange as a result of the satellite uplink encoder but that's not required)

converting from a mpg 1 svcd to ty would be a mess (transcoding, resolution, etc)

tweaking mplex to produce ty from mpg 2 elementals isn't all that difficult - just need to understand what myworld wants to see in a ty

FredThompson
01-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Yes, that's true, I only have DTiVos and am quite guilty of thinking only of that form of tystream. Was thinking about some of the goofiness used for the satellite feeds.

lmurray
01-18-2004, 01:53 PM
SVCDs are actually mpeg2, not mpeg1. VCDs are mpeg1.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/svcd.htm

I agree that modifying mplex to create ty files would be possible. I suspect that the quality developers that we have here on DD would not be that interested in doing this. (Very few people want to take their SVCDs and convert them to TY files.)

(way oversimplified but here goes)

converting from a mpg 1 svcd to ty would be a mess (transcoding, resolution, etc)

tweaking mplex to produce ty from mpg 2 elementals isn't all that difficult - just need to understand what myworld wants to see in a ty

-lloyd

Hi8
01-18-2004, 05:59 PM
SVCDs are actually mpeg2, not mpeg1. VCDs are mpeg1.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/svcd.htm

I agree that modifying mplex to create ty files would be possible. I suspect that the quality developers that we have here on DD would not be that interested in doing this. (Very few people want to take their SVCDs and convert them to TY files.)

-lloyd

I see by your signature you have two sony svr2000's converting svcd to .ty files are quite easliy done in realtime... capturing via analog input to your svr2000. just hook up a svcd player and do a manual record. then just extract that recording with extraction method of your choice.

still not sure why anybody would do that... but to each his own.

FredThompson
01-18-2004, 07:10 PM
converting svcd to .ty files are quite easliy done in realtime... capturing via analog input to your svr2000. just hook up a svcd player and do a manual record. then just extract that recording with extraction method of your choice.

still not sure why anybody would do that... but to each his own.Yeah, but that's lossy compression of lossy compression. Riley's correct, it really wouldn't be that difficult to go from SVCD->ty from a technical standpoint. It's a lot easier/cheaper to get something that displays SVCD. His setup uses XBox for playback so what's the incentive other than easring geek points?

s-link primitives for Win2K/XP, now THAT's something that would be cool. hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

rc3105
01-18-2004, 09:40 PM
lmurray:

many many many moons ago folks used svcd to describe anything beyond plain old vcd spec (higher bitrate mpg 1, wacky audio, etc)

I own star wars on vinyl laserdisk & T2 on VCD - my vocab may need an update! :eek:

fred:

the tivo interface is pretty cool & preferable to many dvd players gui. for mpg to ty ele2pestriple works nicely with 2000k cbr elementals. using an xbox to convert dvd/vcd/svcd/avi/divx to ty (s-video -> s-video) may lose a bit in the analog conversions but it requires allmost no involvement. (click play on one & record on the other) then just ftp the recording wherever it's going. VERY handy for keeping little fingers from scratching/losing disks

lmurray
01-18-2004, 10:24 PM
lmurray:

I own star wars on vinyl laserdisk ...

The Definitive Collection Trilogy? I've got it. It's the only way to watch Star Wars!

-lloyd-

FredThompson
01-18-2004, 11:13 PM
@riley,

Not just little fingers, old fingers or irresponsible fingers ;)

I was real tempted to pick up one of th refurbished XBoxes until I saw the announcement about the new Apex player. I can wait a while. Got an all-black PC with TV-out in the system anyhow. Would love to run carousels like you have, though. How do you do it, I carousel per cable using extra controller cards? I seem to recall comething in the cable specs about distances and such.

@lmurray,

yeah, I've been helping a guy who is trying to do the ultimate laserdisc capture from the first release laserdiscs. Gotta do it in composite, though, and so many people screw up trying to use s-video.

rc3105
01-18-2004, 11:58 PM
the changers are 400 slot audio only models (cheap!) with the audio mechanism replaced by a dvd rw drive, controlled from linux by usb->ide adapter. load/select is managed by atmel at90s2313 chips with stepper / sensor interface circuitry recieving cmds via usb->serial adapter. (allready using atmels + i/o for other projects - was quicker to bypass the sony board entirely than reverse engineer enough to be usefull)

the server sw will run on a s2, but gentoox-xbox is nice and compact with enough horsepower to author dvd's, transcode to divx, whatnot

FredThompson
01-19-2004, 12:18 AM
Oh, yes, I'd go around the included interface as well given a replacement drive. USB, huh? That's a slick idea. Stack the carousels, use a hub right there and an extension cable. IR control means you don't have to screw with s-link. Good idea. Hmmm...this could be done quite easily with any flavor of Win using Girder or some other IR package. A very nice idea.

Zauberer
01-19-2004, 12:31 AM
the changers are 400 slot audio only models (cheap!) with the audio mechanism replaced by a dvd rw drive, controlled from linux by usb->ide adapter. load/select is managed by atmel at90s2313 chips with stepper / sensor interface circuitry recieving cmds via usb->serial adapter. (allready using atmels + i/o for other projects - was quicker to bypass the sony board entirely than reverse engineer enough to be usefull)

the server sw will run on a s2, but gentoox-xbox is nice and compact with enough horsepower to author dvd's, transcode to divx, whatnot

Any sites or info you could share on this? is this something you developed on your own, or with internet help? :)

rc3105
01-19-2004, 01:08 AM
*shrug

digital circuitry isn't difficult, lego's for grownups. google will turn up lots of sites with examples of stepper motor controllers, serial & parallel i/o or slink info

http://www.nirvis.com/slinke_specs.htm

http://www.insflug.org/slink/hardware/DIY/parallel/

managing a disk changer is pretty much the same as an old-old-old style tape changer, on which there's TONS written. lotta my CS/EE classes assigned those type projects. the sw is really just a basic database & rebuilding / debugging scrapped tape mechanisms is good hands on experience

my first changer project (when I was like 11) was built around a commodore floppy drive which had it's own ram and the same 6502 cpu as the vic-20. the 5.25 drive was the "high-speed" cache which buffered access to a rack of audio tapes which were physically changed by one of those plastic radio shack robot arms.

the FIRST first changer project used a sears home stereo 8-track recorder run off the ti-99. there was no auto-load mechanism though, hadda do that by hand. the ti-99a became the brain running the robot arm for the commodore changer

gobsmack
01-23-2004, 03:15 PM
I replaced the audio mechanism in 400 disk sony cd changers with sony dvd rw drives, each rev is an improvement over the last, built 3 so far. they're currently run off usb->ide adapters from gentoox on an xbox & a usb -> serial adapter forwards commands to atmel at90s2313-10 ($2 in bulk, same chip as in dtv card programmers, the tivo ir controller + lots of hobby projects) which manages the actuall disk load / change mechanism

I've got 1200 dvd slots of near-line storage & ~30 gig of proxy cache in the xbox. the interface is a variation on mfs_ftp, it appears to the rest of the network as a 6tb ftp server. (haven't filled all the slots yet)

last batch of bulk dvd-rw was about $0.65 each == $0.13/gig == $11 for 80 gig

all sorts of interesting things here that may or may not ever see the light of day - if the tbservers were allready ***** proof I'd be selling them through 9th tee :p

Okay, I'm glad Riley took my trollish bait and owned up on what I was sure was awesome hack! A gambit, to be sure.

However, I lost all hope of replicating it when he spilled the details. I'd have better results teaching my dog to press the appropriate buttons on command than to try to put together such a device.

"Ginger, 1-3-1, please. No, 1-three-1. Good dog!"

rung
01-30-2004, 05:52 PM
If someone could write an indexer like tyindex for mpeg2 files, I should be able to write a utility that would combine the index file and mpeg into a fully functional ty file.

mikey
02-03-2004, 10:00 AM
/tvlib/tcl/tv/file-to-recording.tcl

shows you how to use ele2pestriple

I read file-to-recording.tcl, but don't really understand it. :( If you've got a few minutes, hours or days would you explain the correct procedure to transfer the video file (.mpg, .avi, or m2a m2v) onto the Tivo and the proper syntax for encoding the file using ele2pestriple. :) If your really bored,and have the time an example would be great.
Thanks,
mikey

rc3105
02-03-2004, 06:52 PM
#!/tvbin/tivosh
#
# This script takes the elementary audio and video components of a TyStream
# (such as created by vsplit) in the Unix filesystem, copies these two files
# into the MFS and makes a TyStream. It then makes a NowShowing program
# entry so that you can watch it!
#
# Someone (who?) wrote most of this. Warren just added the bit to
# copy the Unix files into the MFS.
#
source $tcl_library/tv/mfslib.tcl

#
# Usage
#
proc Usage {} {
puts {Usage: file-to-recording filename MFSname title time duration}
puts { Filename is the Unix filename without .mpv or .mpa}
puts { MFSname is the MFS filename with no slashes}
puts { title is a single word, or a phrase in double quotes}
puts { time is the start time: seconds since midnight tonight, e.g 0}
puts { duration is in seconds, e.g 3600}
exit
}

proc RecordMovie {unixPath mfsPath} {
global env
set TIVO_ROOT $env(TIVO_ROOT)
if {[RetryTransaction {catch {mfs find $mfsPath}}]} {
puts "Recording $unixPath to $mfsPath ..."
exec $TIVO_ROOT/tvbin/ele2pestriple $unixPath.mpv $unixPath.mpa $mfsPath
} else {
puts "MFS movie $mfsPath already exists."
exit
}
}

#
# I do not use the regular RetryTransaction because I do not like the fact
# it adds a puts in the middle if a transaction fails
proc MyRetryTransaction { body } {
global errorInfo errorCode

while { 1 } {
set code [catch {transaction {uplevel $body}} string]
if { $code == 0 } {
return $string
} elseif { $code == 1 } {
if { $errorCode == "errTmActiveLockConflict" ||
$errorCode == "errTmBackgroundHoldoff" ||
$errorCode == "errFsLockConflict" } {
after 100
# retry the transaction
continue
}
return -code error -errorinfo $errorInfo -errorcode $errorCode $string
} elseif { $code == 2 } {
return -code return $string
} elseif { $code == 3 } {
return -code break $string
} elseif { $code == 4 } {
return -code continue $string
}
}
}

#
# Main Part
#

if {$argc != 5} { Usage }

set today [expr [clock seconds] / 86400]
set now [expr [clock seconds] % 86400]
set date $today ;# days since 1970

set filename [lindex $argv 0]
set path [lindex $argv 1]
set title [lindex $argv 2]
set startTime [lindex $argv 3]
set duration [lindex $argv 4]

#
# Copy the file over to an MFS tystream
#
RecordMovie $filename /Recording/$path

# Get a handle to the database
set db [dbopen]

# Create a recording object (with a bogus showing) that
# holds the stream file, and unlink it from its old location.
# (If it's not unlinked, MyWorld will be unable to delete it.)

MyRetryTransaction {

# figure out the fsid
set info [mfs find /Recording/$path]
set fsid [lindex $info 0]
mfs unlink /Recording/$path

# create the recording
set recording [db $db create Recording]
dbobj $recording set BitRate 0 ;# obsolete
dbobj $recording set ErrorString "test recording"
dbobj $recording set ExpirationDate [expr $today + 2]
dbobj $recording set ExpirationTime 0 ;# midnight
dbobj $recording set RecordQuality 100
dbobj $recording set Score 0
dbobj $recording set SelectionType 5 ;# explicit timer
dbobj $recording set StartDate $date
dbobj $recording set StartTime $startTime
dbobj $recording set State 4 ;# complete
dbobj $recording set StopDate $date
dbobj $recording set StopTime [expr $startTime + $duration]

# create a part
set part [db $db createsub RecordingPart $recording]
dbobj $part set Begin 0
dbobj $part set End [expr $duration * 1000]
dbobj $part set File $fsid
dbobj $recording add Part $part

# create a dummy program
set program [db $db create Program]
dbobj $program set Title $title

# create a dummy station
set station [db $db create Station]
dbobj $station set CallSign "Imported Video"
dbobj $station set Name "Ripped!"

# create a showing
set showing [db $db createsub Showing $recording]
dbobj $showing set Date $date
dbobj $showing set Duration $duration
dbobj $showing set Program $program
dbobj $showing set Station $station
dbobj $showing set Time $startTime
dbobj $recording set Showing $showing
puts [ dbobj $recording fsid ]
}

ele2pestriple does the same thing mplex does - muxes elemental audio/video together - & stores it in mfs instead of a regular disk file

wkozun
02-03-2004, 07:09 PM
How long does it take to insert a 1GB file using this routine (assuming the file is on the TiVo's hard drive)?

Do the files have to be in valid TiVo formats -i.e. the video in 720x480 or 480x480 or one of the other resolutions the TiVo uses (for a standalone)? What about the audio - does it have to be at 32k?

Is it possible to write a version of ele2pestriple for the PC so that all of this file creation could be done on the PC side so that you could then just use mfs_ftp to insert the ty (or tmf) into the TiVo?

I presume that to use the code posted by Riley you would need a large /var partition (probably up to 8GB assuming that you want to insert a movie) to copy the file into and then do the muxing. Is it easy to change the size of your /var partition or is there another way of doing this?

Hi8
02-03-2004, 07:23 PM
How long does it take to insert a 1GB file using this routine (assuming the file is on the TiVo's hard drive)?

Do the files have to be in valid TiVo formats -i.e. the video in 720x480 or 480x480 or one of the other resolutions the TiVo uses (for a standalone)? What about the audio - does it have to be at 32k?

Is it possible to write a version of ele2pestriple for the PC so that all of this file creation could be done on the PC side so that you could then just use mfs_ftp to insert the ty (or tmf) into the TiVo?

I presume that to use the code posted by Riley you would need a large /var partition (probably up to 8GB assuming that you want to insert a movie) to copy the file into and then do the muxing. Is it easy to change the size of your /var partition or is there another way of doing this?

unless you had an NFS mount or samba ... other wize it would seem rather pointless to ftp .m2v & .m2a files over to your tivo to mux/insert - sounds like an analog capture via a SA tivo works MUCH better.

rc3105
02-03-2004, 07:28 PM
1a) depends on hard drive speed & how busy the tivo is - generally not the issue though, see #4

1b) the maximum fsid size in mfs is 512 meg. segment the mpg, demux the segments into elementals, ele2pestriple the elementals into mfs fsids, link all the fsids into one recording

2) 352*240 through 720*480 have worked fine here with both 32 & 44 audio

3) possible? sure, however... ele2pestriple was included (accidently?) on 2.x tivos but the source isn't available. it does essentially the same thing as mplex (gpl'd code) so you could tweak that to produce ty

4) you can change the size of var with pdisk or use mfstool switches during a restore, attach a second drive to the tivo & partition it ext2/fat/whatever, OR just mount a network share into the tivo filesystem ;)

wkozun
02-03-2004, 07:28 PM
unless you had an NFS mount or samba ... other wize it would seem rather pointless to ftp .m2v & .m2a files over to your tivo to mux/insert - sounds like an analog capture via a SA tivo works MUCH better.

But you can't do this with a DVD if it has Macrovision turned on, can you? I guess you could rip the DVD to the hard drive, remove Macrovision, burn to DVD, do the capture.

Or those of us with Gateway connected DVDs could rip, convert to MPEG-2 and capture the MPEG playback assuming that the player doesn't add Macrovision to MPEG files streamed over your LAN.

wkozun
02-03-2004, 07:32 PM
4) you can change the size of var with pdisk or use mfstool switches during a restore, attach a second drive to the tivo & partition it ext2/fat/whatever, OR just mount a network share into the tivo filesystem ;)

I have thought about running nfs or samba on my TiVo but when I looked into it there seemed to be major stability issues. Do you have either running on your TiVo?

rc3105
02-03-2004, 07:37 PM
get a macrovision filter, disable it in your player or use a player that ignores the macrovision flag (xbox, pc video out, $35 player at bb)

an mpg -> ty converter is possible and not all that difficult, just seems that anyone with the skills/interest allready has the hardware layin around to do it easier... (no necesity == no invention) :eek:

rc3105
02-03-2004, 07:39 PM
I have thought about running nfs or samba on my TiVo but when I looked into it there seemed to be major stability issues. Do you have either running on your TiVo?
used to, worked ok. I use ftpfs nowdays ;)

Hi8
02-03-2004, 08:32 PM
ah.. MV humm.. not sure, I didn't think my SA cared? It's been awhile since I tried. Not really a biggy as RC stated, I have many ways to output without it if I want to. Besides if you care enough about taking the time to record via realtime thru analog inputs, a few more minutes running/ripping to HD doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Most that extract and burn to DVD-R already know how to if they wish to; make backup copies of a DVD, so the original doesn't get damaged by the kids.

I always get a chucke by those trying to put things on a TiVo's HD - after all the first hacks to a TiVo were to get more storage for native TiVo recordings! Never intended to be used to move other media/files to it to take up that VALUABLE space! I have enough time to just extract and burn for time shifting, let alone putting other stuff on it!

thecoral
02-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Is there any way to insert an mpeg file in a DTivo 3.0?

Hi8
02-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Is there any way to insert an mpeg file in a DTivo 3.0?

no/yes ...

discussed MUCH before - search :o

thecoral
02-09-2004, 09:09 PM
no/yes ...

discussed MUCH before - search :o

That's what I did for a couple of hours before posting my message. The closest answers were to use the extraction tools but in the opposite way. I couldn't see that Tytools or TyStudio will do it. And the rest seems to insert ty streams. But how can I convert an mpeg file in ty format?

eastwind
02-10-2004, 06:29 AM
That's what I did for a couple of hours before posting my message.
Here's a link to a STICKY Thread entitled "Commonly asked questions (and answers): please read before starting new threads". (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31476)

The question and answer are addressed there. (HINT: look for putting video from non-tivo sources into a tivo)

ew

rc3105
02-11-2004, 02:48 AM
last 4 posts - previously the "inserting mpeg" thread - merged into this one to reduce forum clutter

Davandron
02-11-2004, 09:46 AM
I replaced the audio mechanism in 400 disk sony cd changers with sony dvd rw drives, each rev is an improvement over the last, built 3 so far. ...

::Laughs:: Holy crap thats cool!

Don't suppose you keep a website that shows some of your handy work?

rc3105
02-11-2004, 09:59 AM
not yet - maybe one of these days

mikey
02-20-2004, 07:25 PM
@ Riley. If you’ve got a minute, would you look at the error message posted below and suggest a solution for the error message I receive when trying to use the script you posted (thanks!) above.

1.mpa 1.mpv imput.mpa imput.mpv
Xtreme 2.5.2 /video# f2r3105 imput imput workingty 0 600
<166>Feb 20 21:56:09 tcl[286]: Tcl created pool of 1458176 bytes
Recording imput to /Recording/imput ...
invalid command name "/Recording/imput"
while executing
"$mfsPath"
(procedure "RecordMovie" line 7)
invoked from within
"RecordMovie $filename /Recording/$path"
(file "/tivo-bin/f2r3105" line 91)
Xtreme 2.5.2 /video#

The Dtivo is setup as follows:
Xtreme 2.5 upgraded using xupgrade to 2.5.2 on the original 40gb drive. I backed up the drive and restored using mfstools to a 120gb drive and added a 20gb partition (/dev/hda14 mounted as /video) and a 200mb partition (/dev/hda15 mounted as /test) using pdisk on the Tivo. Both partitions were formatted using mke2fs as ext2. I FTPed the video (142mb) and audio (16mb) files over using SmartFTP in binary mode.
Thanks,
Mikey

rc3105
02-21-2004, 03:05 AM
mikey:

w/o seeing the script you're using to invoke ele2pestriple there's no way to tell what's goin on :confused:

rung
02-21-2004, 07:10 AM
@ Riley. If you’ve got a minute, would you look at the error message posted below and suggest a solution for the error message I receive when trying to use the script you posted (thanks!) above.

1.mpa 1.mpv imput.mpa imput.mpv
Xtreme 2.5.2 /video# f2r3105 imput imput workingty 0 600
<166>Feb 20 21:56:09 tcl[286]: Tcl created pool of 1458176 bytes
Recording imput to /Recording/imput ...
invalid command name "/Recording/imput"
while executing
"$mfsPath"
(procedure "RecordMovie" line 7)
invoked from within
"RecordMovie $filename /Recording/$path"
(file "/tivo-bin/f2r3105" line 91)
Xtreme 2.5.2 /video#

The Dtivo is setup as follows:
Xtreme 2.5 upgraded using xupgrade to 2.5.2 on the original 40gb drive. I backed up the drive and restored using mfstools to a 120gb drive and added a 20gb partition (/dev/hda14 mounted as /video) and a 200mb partition (/dev/hda15 mounted as /test) using pdisk on the Tivo. Both partitions were formatted using mke2fs as ext2. I FTPed the video (142mb) and audio (16mb) files over using SmartFTP in binary mode.
Thanks,
Mikey

Mikey,

I would guess that the last part of the line
exec $TIVO_ROOT/tvbin/ele2pestriple $unixPath.mpv $unixPath.mpa $mfsPath
got pushed to the next line by your editor. Just delete the line feed before "$mfsPath" and it should fix your problem.

mikey
02-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Riley:
The script you posted above. I believe it is modified from the original on the tivo?

Rung: your correct. Word Wrap :mad: AHHHHHHHHHH!

It is now working.
Tytool 9r2 will not yet produce a working mpeg (audio issues?).
Tystudio does not list it in now showing. ?
MFS_FTP downloads/transfers it fine.
The video plays under 2.5.2 and 3.01b and 3. something? on a SA.

More Questions. Sorry.

Riley:

1b) the maximum fsid size in mfs is 512 meg. segment the mpg, demux the segments into elementals, ele2pestriple the elementals into mfs fsids, link all the fsids into one recording” ?

Would I do this similarly to the method described Here (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88447&postcount=610)?

For future compatibility what rate should the audio be recorded at to avoid S2Dtivo incompatilites?

Thanks Riley and Rung for the help.
Mikey

rc3105
02-21-2004, 05:53 PM
that's the gist of it. if you set the mfs_ftp debuglevel to 5 & watch it insert a multipart recording you'll see it allocate space for each part, add the part to the recording object, then fill it with video via mfs_stdinsert. you want to do basically the same thing, but ele2pestriple would handle the allocate / fill functions

s2's play s1 audio fine, they just don't like the audio headers generated by boot299.btl on s1 dtivos. didn't have a s2 when tydemux was released & haven't used ele2pestriple since so don't know what if any issues there might be with playing ele2pestriple ty on a s2

if you look at the source for mplex, tydemux & rung's chunkedit you can whip up a version of mplex to produce ty fairly easily (root canal easy, just sit down & do it - no discovery of fire inspiration needed) ;)

udecker
02-26-2004, 01:42 PM
if you look at the source for mplex, tydemux & rung's chunkedit you can whip up a version of mplex to produce ty fairly easily (root canal easy, just sit down & do it - no discovery of fire inspiration needed) ;)

So this is what we're waiting for? Some inspirational coder to go in and do this? (Yeah, I should do it myself, but I'm not the code genius).

I suppose there's just not enough motivation?

TiVoPunk
12-12-2004, 02:23 PM
you look at the source for mplex, tydemux & rung's chunkedit you can whip up a version of mplex to produce ty fairly easily (root canal easy, just sit down & do it - no discovery of fire inspiration needed) ;)

Look, it is a common request of parents with young kids. We want kid videos on the TiVo. I want it and I have read dozen of others who want it to.

I have hacked my DVD player so no Macrovision. My wife and I sit down with the DVD remote and the VCR remote. We manually record (pause, record, pause, record) movies for our kids to make "kid friendly" versions. We do this for 2 reasons - filtered content and VHS tapes are cheaper to replace than the DVDs they ruin. And yes, they ruin the VHS tapes from time to time.

It took a year to teach the grandparents how to use TiVo. A hacked xBox would cause their brains to explode.

I am willing to put $25 (a little more than the replacement cost of 1 DVD) up as a bounty for the first person to deliver working code that takes MPEG2 to ty. If the other parents out there who read this thread are willing to do the same, it could be a few hundred dollars pretty quick. Is there anyone out there willing to take payment for the development effort? Any parents willing to put their money where their mouth is?

FredThompson
12-12-2004, 02:53 PM
That's a poor return on time. You'd be better off to use DVD Decrypter to rip the original DVDs to computer then edit the VOBs with TyTool then use it to write to DVDR.

Many years ago I started work on a computer DVD player which could have configurable editing. IOW, if you wanted to play that Diane Keaton film where she inherits the little girl the configuration file would tell the player software to skip the babysitter sex scene and some of the nanny interviews.

If you use DVD Decrypter to rip a show to a single file you could make a record of which parts were removed and why. If someone else wanted to edit the same show, they could use your notes.

Oh...there's an idea for a website... a repository for censoring DVDs. It would probably attract some activist types but it's worth a shot.

Heh, OK, I've talked myself into it. I'll put one up after Christmas. Can't do it right now. I leave for a business trip tomorrow.

rung
12-13-2004, 07:54 AM
You'd be better off to use DVD Decrypter to rip the original DVDs to computer then edit the VOBs with TyTool then use it to write to DVDR.

Many years ago I started work on a computer DVD player which could have configurable editing. IOW, if you wanted to play that Diane Keaton film where she inherits the little girl the configuration file would tell the player software to skip the babysitter sex scene and some of the nanny interviews.

If you use DVD Decrypter to rip a show to a single file you could make a record of which parts were removed and why. If someone else wanted to edit the same show, they could use your notes.

Oh...there's an idea for a website... a repository for censoring DVDs. It would probably attract some activist types but it's worth a shot.

Heh, OK, I've talked myself into it. I'll put one up after Christmas. Can't do it right now. I leave for a business trip tomorrow.

Wouldn't that be a poor return on YOUR time? :) You could just rent from the edited DVD directly (e.g cleanfilms.com, cleanflcks.com, etc.).

Do people really want mpg2ty capability? I thought people wanted to edit their ty's when I wrote chunkedit, but the interest seem to evaporate once I wrote the utility. I haven't writen a mpg2ty utility yet, but I do understand much of the ty chunk and master header formats since I needed to edit these in chunkedit.

Regards,
Rung

TivoWare
12-13-2004, 08:26 AM
Do people really want mpg2ty capability? I thought people wanted to edit their ty's when I wrote chunkedit, but the interest seem to evaporate once I wrote the utility. I haven't writen a mpg2ty utility yet, but I do understand much of the ty chunk and master header formats since I needed to edit these in chunkedit.

I think it would be neat. Even if I only use it a few times a year it you be cool to have the ability. TivoPunk said he would give $25, I'd give $25 also and you could at least make a quick $50 :) I assume you would have to start with a nice mpeg2 file?

rung
12-13-2004, 08:37 AM
I think it would be neat. Even if I only use it a few times a year it you be cool to have the ability. TivoPunk said he would give $25, I'd give $25 also and you could at least make a quick $50 :) I assume you would have to start with a nice mpeg2 file?

I could contribute, but I don't think I have all the skills/tools to complete the utility. Here's one thing I don't know - can a S1 Tivo play a ty that has DVD standard audio or would it have to be transcoded first? It probably can't play DD.

mrwalker66
12-13-2004, 09:10 AM
count me in for $50

FredThompson
12-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I guess it would. Must be why I lost interest in the idea originally.

LittleHopper
12-13-2004, 09:41 AM
I read on some post the S1 SA Tivo cannot read AC3 audio - it must be standand MPEG audio (not sure what that is). So, some transcoding would be involved.

Steve

bcc
12-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Do people really want mpg2ty capability? I thought people wanted to edit their ty's when I wrote chunkedit, but the interest seem to evaporate once I wrote the utility. I haven't writen a mpg2ty utility yet, but I do understand much of the ty chunk and master header formats since I needed to edit these in chunkedit. BTW, I did just release a utility over here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199120&postcount=28) that completely rebuilds master chunk records. I re-pack the data chunks as well. I am still copying data rate and tivo timestamps from the source ty stream.

TiVoPunk
12-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Wouldn't that be a poor return on YOUR time? :) You could just rent from the edited DVD directly (e.g cleanfilms.com, cleanflcks.com, etc.).

It has been our experience that the best judge of what our kids should or should not see is ... us! Some of the editted DVDs are so hacked up that you can't understand the plot. Others have a differing opinion from us as to what is offensive.

It took us over 11 hours to make the editted copies of Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers. Spiderman went a lot faster at 3.5 hours. What really stinks is when the grandparents let the 18 month old use the Spiderman VHS tape as a hockey puck and you have to make it all over again. If you make it digital, you archive it and the kids can do whatever they want because you can burn it again.

I have a DVD burner now and will use it as the "backup plan" (oh, that was bad) if I can't do it on the TiVo, but we would love to get it down to one machine, one remote. But wouldn't we all?

TiVoPunk
12-13-2004, 08:59 PM
count me in for $50

That makes $100. Do I hear $125?

Any takers?

rung
12-13-2004, 10:22 PM
It has been our experience that the best judge of what our kids should or should not see is ... us! Some of the editted DVDs are so hacked up that you can't understand the plot. Others have a differing opinion from us as to what is offensive.

It took us over 11 hours to make the editted copies of Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers. Spiderman went a lot faster at 3.5 hours. What really stinks is when the grandparents let the 18 month old use the Spiderman VHS tape as a hockey puck and you have to make it all over again. If you make it digital, you archive it and the kids can do whatever they want because you can burn it again.

I have a DVD burner now and will use it as the "backup plan" (oh, that was bad) if I can't do it on the TiVo, but we would love to get it down to one machine, one remote. But wouldn't we all?

Have you looked into chunkedit? You could transfer the whole DVD onto your Tivo unedited. Then you could edit with tystudio and use chunkedit to make an edited recording on your tivo. One show-stopper for some folks is that the current ty2mpg tools have trouble with edited tys. Other than that, I like watching edited ty's because I don't have to grab my remote to skip over commercials. It just blasts right through.

Regards,
Rung

TiVoPunk
12-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Have you looked into chunkedit?

No, I have never heard of it. Where can I learn more?

JJBliss
12-13-2004, 10:40 PM
No, I have never heard of it. Where can I learn more?

Um.....

That's a joke right?

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31799&highlight=chunkedit

mikey
12-13-2004, 10:48 PM

Any takers?
in for $50.00

mmoore99
12-13-2004, 11:39 PM

Any takers?

In for $50.

TiVoPunk
12-14-2004, 12:38 AM
$200 to the developer who can deliver the software that will create fully working ty files from DVD ripped MPEG2.

compwiz312
12-14-2004, 01:46 AM

I'll chip in an additional $30, I would really like this feature.

BTW, I use chunkedit all the time on my Pioneer unit before burning stuff to DVD.

rung
12-14-2004, 06:03 AM

BTW, I use chunkedit all the time on my Pioneer unit before burning stuff to DVD.

Hey, rc3105 said that didn't work! Did you make any changes to the standard version?

mrblack51
12-14-2004, 12:50 PM

what method are you using for editing? in general, people have found that using mfs_ftp or MRV with the pioneer unit disables burning ability for that show.

osetivo
12-14-2004, 12:50 PM
$50 is a starting point for me.

rc3105
12-14-2004, 01:23 PM
what method are you using for editing? in general, people have found that using mfs_ftp or MRV with the pioneer unit disables burning ability for that show.
mrv breaks recordings and disables burning - 810 tmf's restored to the same unit via mfs_ftp burn fine

when I tried chunkedit with 810 archives I could remove the end of a recording, but not segments within the show w/o breaking burnability. sounds like it's time to do some more investigating...

what are you using to select cut points? are you using chunk or gop based edit decision lists?

BulbLight
12-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Got $25 more from me!

rung
12-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Got $25 more from me!

Bender: How many is that?
Brian: Thats seven including when you asked Mr.Vernon here if Barry Manilow knew that he raided his closet.
Vernon: Now its eight.You stay out of this.
Brian: Excuse me, sir, its seven.

nams
12-18-2004, 03:17 PM
I am in for $25.00 too.

linda
12-23-2004, 09:57 PM
guess noone is interested in trying this?

mrblack51
12-23-2004, 10:39 PM
guess noone is interested in trying this?

just because there arent lots of me too posts (what the last few posts in this thread have been) doesnt mean that there isnt interest. this is a non-trivial problem

mikey
12-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Did everyone miss this (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36281) thread? I did until today.
Mikey

lgkahn
01-04-2005, 10:33 PM
I would chip in 25 to be able to move mpgs avi's to the tivo

mrklaw
01-31-2005, 10:37 AM
I'll go $25 as well.

Forget the kids benefit. This is major WAF territory. Yes we have my kids shows on DVD, but the way I'm set up, thats switch inputs on the AV selector, and on the TV, find the DVD, clean it, blah blah.

I have loads of stuff on Tivo now for the kids (thank heavens for 'keep 1 episode'), and so its the logical place to hold it all.

Alternatively (its a SA series 1 UK), I could record directly if someone can point me to a renaming utility....

gyre
01-31-2005, 06:35 PM
I'd put in $25 if it worked for a UK s1 tivo.

- gyre --

zimm0who0net
02-05-2005, 05:25 PM
$200 to the developer who can deliver the software that will create fully working ty files from DVD ripped MPEG2.

Not that I'm trying to pile on, but why stop at ripped DVDs? Sure would be nice if I could quickly convert DivX files to ty so I wouldn't have to buy a media connector or networked DVD player.

FredThompson
02-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Not that I'm trying to pile on, but why stop at ripped DVDs? Sure would be nice if I could quickly convert DivX files to ty so I wouldn't have to buy a media connector or networked DVD player.ty is a "flavor" of MPEG2. What you're describing is a re-encoding process. There is already a lot of work done wrt re-encoding. You'll probably find doom9 is a good place to get info for MPEG4->MPEG2. Look into DVD2SVCD and serving the MPEG4 file through VirtualDub, ffmpeg or AviSynth. No sense in rewriting what already exists and has teams of people optimizing/improving it.

ty->MPEG2 will probably be a fairly quick parsing routine.

FWIW, one of the MPEG4 "flavors" is going to be the standard for HD over satellite and probably cable.

Also, DVD players which support MPEG4 and other formats are quite common. You can find the slim Philips "plays everything" player for around $40 or so with rebates quite frequently. Personally, I'm waiting until the players support the new audio profile for MPEG4 before I pick up another. Maybe that Philips players work with the audio profile, I'm not sure. These types of players usually parse the index of a data disk and give you a list of files from which to choose. There is no custom menu support, just the ease of burning files to DVDR and popping them in the player.

davidlallen
08-06-2005, 12:10 PM
In case people wander to this old thread and wonder why it died off, please search for "tymplex". The problem has been solved, at least from the capability standpoint. You need to run a bunch of batch tools to do it, but people have been successfully transferring mpegs to their tivo since around April 2005.

ihristov
07-12-2007, 04:59 PM
As explained elsewhere on this thread Tivoserver is the tool you need to be able to copy MPEG2 files to your tivo.

Worked out of the box for me in Ubuntu

Make an MPEG2 file from a DVD (extract the first title)

cd ~
mkdir video
cd video
mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile movie.mpg dvd://1

Download the Linux version of TivoServer

wget "http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tivoserver/tivoserver-0.4.3-linux.gz"
gunzip tivoserver-0.4.3-linux.gz
chmod +x tivoserver-0.4.3-linux

Start it

./tivoserver-0.4.3-linux

Now on your networked Tivo you can see the "TivoServer" as another Tivo from which you can watch content.

Soapm
08-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Can someoue point out the post number in this thread that earned this thread sticky honor for the FAQ question "AVI/MPEG/VOB upload to TiVo - is it possible to generate ty from MPG?"

I've read this thread several times and don't see the point or why this is in the FAQ.

When linking a thread in a FAQ, is it possible to put the post number that makes the thread FAQ worthy?

FredThompson
08-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Knee-j*e*r*k response: It's possible you're a little new to be quibbling against the moderators, don't you think?

Oh, wait, this is DDB, not doom9, I don't have to be nice.

Drop and give us 50 newb.

Soapm
08-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Knee-j*e*r*k response: It's possible you're a little new to be quibbling against the moderators, don't you think?

Oh, wait, this is DDB, not doom9, I don't have to be nice.

Drop and give us 50 newb.

Not trying to quibble, just trying to figure out how to turn an AVI file into something I can transfer to my Tivo. I read thread after thread that links me to another thread. Some are from 2002 and 2004 so I have no clue if it applies to my 649DT??? I read an entire 500 post thread to learn it was on how to change a TY file into AVI. I found the FAQ and thought great, someone is giving us a step by step. If there is one, I dont see it???

jt1134
08-30-2007, 03:25 AM
Look here : http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50010
You can convert an avi to a ty with one command. No step by step, read that whole thread as well as the development thread the files are in. If you're using M$ windoze, then download and install cygwin if you haven't already. It includes many useful linux tools that run under windoze. http://www.cygwin.com

Soapm
08-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Look here : http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50010
You can convert an avi to a ty with one command. No step by step, read that whole thread as well as the development thread the files are in. If you're using M$ windoze, then download and install cygwin if you haven't already. It includes many useful linux tools that run under windoze. http://www.cygwin.com

Thank you kind Sir!

Narf54321
08-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Hey Soapm,

If you're still looking for an easy way to get those movies onto the Tivo, I'd still suggest using one of the transcoding programs I mentioned (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=286525&postcount=11) in your other thread. Monkeying with creating a proper TY file and then trying to push it (upload it) into MFS_FTP to work well is often frought with problems for newbies. If you insert a file the wrong way, or if the Tivo doesn't like it you can get crashing/reboot problems and can be a nightmare in trying to delete the 'poison' video file off the Tivo..

With a little bit of setup, a "tivo server" type program on your computer is much easier. It makes your PC show up as another TiVo device on the network and you can use the Tivo menus to select the shows to be transferred over to the Tivo. Personally, I prefer PyTivo.

AFAIK, at the base level they all use some variant of ffmpeg to convert video files into something the Tivo can use.

Soapm
08-30-2007, 09:53 PM
My apologies, because you had mfs_ftp listed as number 4 in your suggestion I took that as a viable option. I had taken the time to do all the patching etc.. and have it working so I figred on using it. This still left me with how to format the file.

What I didn't realize was PyTivo by armooo is a full solution. I don't need mfs_ftp with it which is good. I keep shutting mfs_ftp down with TWP to free up memory and my machine reboots.?????

Will give PyTivo by armooo a shot tonight. Sorry to ignore great advice.