Ok I'm shutting down my back up ftp. all backups are being transfered to:

HERE (ftp://ftp.abs.net)

thx for support and uploads.

if you have an unfinnished download and it is not yet on the new ftp...msg me

Lure
08-09-2001, 02:20 AM

BLUETOOTH
08-10-2001, 02:39 PM
lure, i still can not get on that address? also how big and which backup is it? i have looked all over, and i like the feel around here. blue:D

kronos80
08-10-2001, 08:10 PM
I just made a 115MB HDR112 backup. If anyone is interested, drop me a line and we can figure out how to get it to you.

Shawn

Lord Magnus
08-12-2001, 10:55 PM
Hi all. I just picked up a Sony T-60 on an open box special at Best Buy. The system is rebooting constantly and I can't get to BASH. Someone has obviously been in it. I want to see if anyone had a backup I could nab to see if I could give it CPR. :D

Msg me if so.

TIA

LM

BLUETOOTH
08-13-2001, 11:31 PM
If the unit does not work, then take it back and bitch a bit. I picked one up the same way, and only the 30 day grace period was used. But to answer your question, I may know where you can get an actual sony hard drive virgin state. the 30 gig with the 1.3 version. reply to this thread and pm me if you are interested. If this post is not allowed then just delete and reply, i want to follow all the rules. thanks blue

Lure
08-14-2001, 04:07 AM
this board remains uncensored as fare as I know. Asking and offering a backup isn't a big deal-)

Seems mfstools and zapstream offer posibilities for small backup files :) If you own a small back up like that please upload it to the server adres in the fist post of this thread.

Up till now no one has offered any sony back ups, I have 4 people waiting for vasious sony backups. I short: if you have any sony back ups(even big ones) upload asap.

tivoinside down? try the same adresses with a slight difference swap 132/133 at the end of the IP address

btw BLUETOOTH, did you get what you needed?

Lord Magnus
08-14-2001, 09:02 AM
You heard the man. Upload them puppies!

Share the LOVE!! :D

LM

Electron
08-14-2001, 11:13 AM
I have both a single drive and a dual drive T-60 Virgin backups.

These are full dd type backups that are not split and compressed.

I will gladly upload the images in any form you want just let me know how you want them saved and with what program.

Electron

P-r0t
08-14-2001, 12:56 PM
I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to bail me out of a terrible problem.

My master "A" drive on my SVR2000 failed. I bought a replacment drive, but have no image to throw on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't beleive in paying Sony over $130 to repair & ship the unit.

Thanks!

P-r0t

BLUETOOTH
08-14-2001, 01:38 PM
i just don't get your message, tivoinside down? try the same adresses with a slight difference swap 132/133 at the end of the IP address . btw i am going to get that virgin hard drive from ebay for $50 and use that as a back up. what do you think, is that a good idea or am i wasting my money. i have been reading and thought i could use the virgin as the original and bless a large hard drive and drop it in the tivo for more space. is this correct or do i compress my version of tivo and put it on the new drive for safe keeping? are they the exact same, interchangable? thanks for the help. and i will gladly upload the sony virgin 1.3 if you think that is a logical step and price. thanks blue

Lord Magnus
08-14-2001, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by BLUETOOTH
i just don't get your message, tivoinside down? try the same adresses with a slight difference swap 132/133 at the end of the IP address .

He means to change the last octet of the ip address:
X.X.X.133 <-> X.X.X.132

Lord Magnus
08-14-2001, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Electron
I have both a single drive and a dual drive T-60 Virgin backups.

These are full dd type backups that are not split and compressed.

I will gladly upload the images in any form you want just let me know how you want them saved and with what program.

Electron

I'm not sure if you are replying to me or Lure. :)

Might I suggest the single drive image in 20MB RAR's with an SFV file upped to lure's site? :D

You are my bestest friend...

LM

P-r0t
08-14-2001, 03:45 PM
agreed, rar volumes with sfv checks is the most effecient way to go for large transfers. although I don't know if the images created have a problem with rar. can anyone confirm this ?

P-r0t

Lord Magnus
08-15-2001, 07:23 PM
I don't think there should be any problem using a rar for transferring the image.

BLUETOOTH
08-15-2001, 10:14 PM
i was refering to lure, but i tried to download and no go, several times, i'll get it. do you think 50 bucks for the hard drive (sony) is worth it? and what is a rar? blue

Lord Magnus
08-15-2001, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by BLUETOOTH
i was refering to lure, but i tried to download and no go, several times, i'll get it. do you think 50 bucks for the hard drive (sony) is worth it? and what is a rar? blue

I used CuteFTP to access the site, but I had to connect using PASV mode. This might be my setup however since I am using a proxy and firewall.

$50 for anything over 25GB is probably a good deal. 25GB is about $80 in my neck of the woods.

RAR is a common Windoze archive format. go to www.download.com an search on RAR and you should get a few hits. If you're running linux, I expect there is a version also.

LM

Lure
08-16-2001, 01:07 AM
RAR
Winrar is a program just like winzip e.o. it commpresses files and is can divide them. If your loading 1 GB worth on backup files you appreciate the files being cut into piece. It is very likely you lost connection or the connection is broken. it suxs if you just finnished 900 Mb of the 1000Mb you tryed to down and you have to start over. ( ok, the ftp supports resume-))

FTP
If you fail to connect to the ftp this is due to any of the point listed below:

the ftp is down: my connection seems to be a little unstable lately. I have to blame my ISP for that.
You don't have a clue what ftp is and how to get it working. read a manual!
the maxium nummers of users is being reached. I allow 3-5 people at the same time. this way you all have some speed. avarage = 26/x
I dislike you, I blocked you IP ( currently NOBODY is being blocked)
you are automaticly blocked, multiple downloads from one IP are being blocked as is any other form of hammering

Don't private me about the above, if you suspect problems read the first and second post of this thread :rolleyes:

Lord Magnus
08-19-2001, 04:36 PM
Mangus had a sony Tivo,
Its case was Beige & Gray,
But no matter what Magnus did
The Tivo wouldn't play.

Someone send me/lure a t-60 backup before I rhyme again :D

:D PU-LEASE!!!!! :D

LM

Electron
08-19-2001, 04:52 PM
I will try and get the Compressed T-60 Backup done today

Electron

P-r0t
08-20-2001, 09:58 AM
It appears that Lure doesn't allow uploads

Lure
08-20-2001, 06:04 PM
upload to the upload dir.

read earlier posts in this thread to see possible problems:confused:

Lord Magnus
08-25-2001, 11:13 AM
Once upon a midnight dreary,
while I pondered, weak and weary,
O'er a dead and dying sony PVR.

As I ZapTivo'ed, nearly working,
Hard Drive loudly jerking,

As if success had been lurking,
lurking on my bedroom floor.

"Please Wait," I visioned,
"Showing on my TV fore --

Only this and nothing more."

Quoth the Tivo, "Nevermore"

LM
:D

Lure
08-25-2001, 12:59 PM
I wonder, when I read this forum, will I ever be the same.
Looks like I'm tivonized forever
I opened the case myself, there is no one else to blame.
cracked and hacked or whatever
My TiVo still plays every frame

Do we need to start a poetry forum for this?
it's way out of line
think about that ,while I take a piss.
ah well; what the heck: this thread is mine-)
I'm happy: there is not a program I miss!

actually this is NOT true: I use my tivo to coach diving...there is not a dive I miss thou-))

snedecor
08-27-2001, 01:18 PM
I want to thank Lure for offering his computing and internet resources to allow us to download backups.

I got a 1.2 Phillips for $49, but it had no remote and was set to use the DSS port for controlling DTV, and I couldn't get bash on it.

I used one of Lure's 1.3 backups to start from scratch, got a bash prompt, hacked to do PPP over serial, and went though an entire guided setup with no remote, using SendKey through tivosh!

My remote arrives soon, but I have already upgraded the unit to 80GB+15, and I have a backup if I want to go with a larger second drive.

As soon as the warranty expires on my other Sony Unit, I'll be MFS'ing a backup, and Lure's site will get it first!

Thanks again!

Vadim
08-28-2001, 11:20 PM
I will have some backups to upload to Lure's site soon too.

Electron
08-28-2001, 11:45 PM
I have the T60 backup ready to upload, It started then stopped now I can't get back on the FTP site ( To many Users )

I will try again soon, The backup is 118 megs

Here is the read me that will be with it.

>>
The t60.bak is a backup of a Virgin T60 single drive. with 2.01
Original drive was a 40 Gig Quantum.
Backup was made with Mfstools-1.0 from the Boot CD
( mfstool backup -9 -o /mnt/dos/t60.bak /dev/hdc )

To restore it use:
mfstool restore /dev/hdc -i /mnt/XXX/t60.bak
(XXX) replace with your dir info.

If you use this on a non quantum hd you will need to use Edit_bootparms to set runideturbo=false.
You will also have to delete the now playing shows manually as they are not backed up.

<<
Does this look ok?

Electron

Lure
08-29-2001, 05:14 PM
at the moment there is heavy trafic on the ftp.

If this continues: page me. ( note only for uploads. downloads need to line up in rows of 4-))

knownzero
09-02-2001, 01:39 PM
I was playing around in the FTP looking at the backups, and I see that all the backups are mostly for version 1.2 and 1.3 of the software. Does anyone have a backup of the 2.0 software for a philips 20hr that got a small backup using Tigers mfstools? I ask because I have been trying for the last couple of days to get it to work and I just can't get my system to work right to make the backup happen. I have an Asus A7V mobo and a Romtec Trios HD selector with 3 HD's and they all run through the primary ata/100 connector and all my other ide's are taken, plus it looks like the best way for the mfstools to work is by booting off of hinsdales boot cd so I can't take the cdr's out. The way its setup with the Trios, I can't use the HD's on the primary or secondary ide's for whatever reason after setting up the OS's through that thing. So basically I'm hosed on trying to make a backup. I've tried taking my drives to a second computer and they don't work there either. If anyone has any ideas on how to use the mfstool with hd's on an ata/100 connector, let me know! (I think the big problem is that the mobo uses a scsi-like bios to control the ata/100 connectors and they aren't seem by the system as normal ide connectors). Thanks!

Fugg
09-03-2001, 11:32 AM
is there any user specific data on a mfstool backup?
something to identify the origional user?

Lure
09-03-2001, 04:07 PM
is there any user specific data on a mfstool backup?

don't take my word for it but follow this thinking steps:

1. You buy a tivo...cash, not with creditcard. You don't identify your self while buying. Now nobody knows Who is the owner of this TiVo, right?

You connect you tivo, it calls in, it might reveal your phone nummer to TiVo inc. but not if you blocked that and you could be the second owner of the TiVo or sold it to someone. A phone number says nothing. right?

You make a back up and hand it out to anybody that wants it. there is NO serial nummer in the software, that's stamped into the hardware.(btw also changeable) right?

my conclusion: no-one can identify a backup as being yours. (unless your stupid enough to backup a script you wrote that also contains personal data)

Then an other concern: TiVo needs subscribers...to subscribe customers need working TiVo's...TiVo's should start offering virgin downloadable backups of al types... it's in their intressed.

They should do it soon too, befor really small backups containing evry thinkable hack start spreading like a sickness... You know murphy's first law: every thing that is posible will happen ( murphy's second law is more fameous: what can go wrong , goes wrong) Both laws should be a trigger for tivo to start working on this.

:D :D :D

snedecor
09-03-2001, 05:25 PM
Edited, Question answered.

Fugg
09-03-2001, 08:01 PM
Lure,

let me restate that,

if i make a backup w/mfstools, is my tivo id # in the drive image somewhere?

if i (or tivo) download a image, could i (or they) trace it back to the origional user, if that user is a subscriber?

get my point?

.....ok,ok...i'm paranoid.....
;)

Vadim
09-03-2001, 09:23 PM
Turning off paranoia, No the serial # is stored on in the crypto chip. BTW TiVo doesn't care if you share your software, it was previous old stupid avs rule.

Juppers
09-04-2001, 05:59 PM
I am trying to upload a T60 virgin 2.0 backup to the ftp site, but it won't let me rename the folder. It's also going rather slow on the upload. What kind of bandwidth is this on? Who runs this thing? Whoever does message me and we can chat about some better solutions.

SuperVHS
09-05-2001, 11:19 AM
Yes, the TiVo serial number is stored on the motherboard.

It is also recorded to the hard drive in the log files. These files are in the VAR partition that are not normally backed up with mfstools (but the option is there). I got a backup from another person and found his serial number in the log files (plus a second serial number - seems he was using a virgin backup from one TiVo to play on another TiVo).

I move my hard drive around between two units myself. I am always careful to delete the files with serial number info prior to letting the TiVo call in, just in case it might raise a flag at TiVo. I wouldn't want to send a log file to TiVo that shows that my hard drive has been in multiple TiVos.

So......... Zero out your VAR partition to make sure your serial number is removed from the hard drive:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda9 bs=512

TiVo will rebuild the VAR partition on the next reboot.

Fugg
09-05-2001, 08:03 PM
thanks, dude!

that's perfect!

Lure
09-06-2001, 03:35 AM
Question stays: will TiVo figure out who's back up it is that is being made ...
while contacting TiVo over the phone they need some sort of identification, sending de serial and checking it to a database to see if there is a valid subsciption would sound logic.
question is : which serial do they use/extract.....

i'm left with three questions:
1. which serial info is send over.
2. does a virgin machine have the serial info in the software.
3. will tivo detect a discrepation between hardware serial and software serial after a back up ( with /var included)

SuperVHS thx for you answers.

SuperVHS
09-06-2001, 11:17 AM
Lure:

1. which serial info is send over?
TiVo logs the serial number from the motherboard. If you use the hard drive in two (or more) units, the serial numbers from both units will end up in the log files. These log files are then sent back to TiVo when you call in.

2. does a virgin machine have the serial info in the software?
The machine will have gone thru some sort of check out and the log files will have the serial number recorded. Few understand the MFS structure so I can only guess that the serial number is not recorded in the software.

3. will tivo detect a discrepation between hardware serial and software serial after a back up ( with /var included)?
Not normally. This information is used for diagnosis.
[The user recordings and preferences are sent in a separate file that does not include the serial number ***wink wink***.]
If you do something unusual that brings your unit to TiVo's attention, they may check your log files to find out why. Examples, having an older version of s/w than their database says, having a newer version, forcing mutiple s/w upgrades, multiple overlapping guide data downloads, etc.

CyberDude
09-06-2001, 01:10 PM
OK, I finally got the darn T60 image downloaded, and I guess I was in the mood for tinkering as I setup a complete FTP area with a bunch of the other nice utils like TBD and MFStools as well.

So if you need any of the utils, or the T60 image, your welcome to pop on in and get a copy of it. I will not do anything to lock down or secure this site as I really don't have the time to hand out passwords to each and every person. If somone has a bitch that I put their software on the site, then I'll remove it.. :-)

Hopefully people will find it a useful little stash for some of the nice TiVo utilities that are available. Site is limited to 100 anonymous connections, so hopefully people won't overrun it..

Anyway here is the URL, and if you have anything good to contribute then just place it in the /incoming directory and let me know.

TiVo Utilities FTP Archive (ftp://ftp.abs.net/tivo/)

Enjoy...

IWantToShare
09-07-2001, 02:01 PM
Lure et al....

I have been slowly accumulating .R0x files via FTP and it certainly is slooooow going.

How about offering the TiVo backups on Morpheus? This would allow the same backup to be downloaded from multiple sites simultaneously giving a higher bandwidth to the downloader, and a controlled bandwidth to the site storing the data.

If nobody has an objection, I am going to place my 3 pieces of downloaded TiVo backup on Morpheus this weekend. I still don't have the remaining 7 pieces, but some kind soul may decide to put them out on this service so I can get them too.

Any feedback would be welcome.

(oh, the backup is for a Philips 14hr 1.3 virgin)

Lure
09-08-2001, 02:02 AM
the history of the ftp is short. we are working on the bandwidth problem and a solution is upcomming.

just relax ( iknow it is hard and you all want to have your back up NOW...

don't forget to upload too!

Possum
09-08-2001, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Lure
don't forget to upload too!

Philips SA 2.01 upload complete!

Lure
09-09-2001, 03:35 AM
great upload POSSUM!
It's great to have one more missing link...

btw read the first msg of this theread again: it changed

so who is the first to up a hughes.... english pall backup...

Lure
09-09-2001, 04:04 AM
well since mfstools is a big hit...please upload only backups made with this little gem of a program.

bennefits:
- small back ups, use -9 option to compress the max
- standard the /var dir is not backed up, serials are not backed up-)
- real fast backing up..no more hours of waiting on backup and restore.

smaller backups are easier to up and download. Offcourse zaptivo or other methodes are not prohibited but lets save some bandwidth

CyberDude
09-09-2001, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Lure
well since mfstools is a big hit...please upload only backups made with this little gem of a program.

bennefits:
- small back ups, use -9 option to compress the max
- standard the /var dir is not backed up, serials are not backed up-)
- real fast backing up..no more hours of waiting on backup and restore.

smaller backups are easier to up and download. Offcourse zaptivo or other methodes are not prohibited but lets save some bandwidth

Yep, I have to agree that mfstools is for sure the way to go!

The only acception I can think of is maybe with people trying to catch a 2.5 upgrade before the reboot. That may require a bit more to catch, but then again I am not totally sure. Does anyone know if mfstools will also back this up??

As always stuff we don't already have is welcome in the FTP Incoming Directory (ftp://ftp.abs.net/incoming/) so it can be added to the downloadable collection.. :D

Neutronflux
09-11-2001, 12:23 AM
hey guys, I don't know if this will be of use, but a friend of mine has sent me a copy of a DirecTivo 2.5 BETA software on a hard drive. He got it from a friend of his who works at the Tivo Factory [or something to that effect] - the drive has NEVER been booted up inside a unit and it's factory fresh.

I'd be happy to make a compressed backup and upload it if anyone can tell me what the best way of doing this is.

Please let me know so I can share the goods!
Take care,
Neutron

Worf
09-11-2001, 01:11 AM
Make it a true dd backup and a MFS tools backup - there may be some interesting files that MFS tools doesn't back up (such as logs when the image was booted up - I've found /var/log entries on my TiVo that were from either Sony or TiVo...).

Anyhow, isn't 2.5 gold for DirecTiVos out?

SuperVHS
09-11-2001, 08:17 AM
mfstools does not backup the alternate boot/root partitions

If you want to catch a pending restart s/w upgrade, you can backup those partitions individually.

CyberDude
09-11-2001, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by SuperVHS
mfstools does not backup the alternate boot/root partitions

If you want to catch a pending restart s/w upgrade, you can backup those partitions individually.

Is there a procedure for making it perform such a backup, or do we have to fall back to the full sized dd type packup??

BubbaJ
09-11-2001, 10:47 PM
full size -> mini

dd if=/dev/hda3 | gzip | dd of=/dos/hda3.gz
dd if=/dev/hda4 | gzip | dd of=/dos/hda4.gz
dd if=/dev/hda6 | gzip | dd of=/dos/hda6.gz
dd if=/dev/hda7 | gzip | dd of=/dos/hda7.gz

quick and dirty backup of JUST the partition you want.
restore by swapping if and of on each line.

note: I would dearly love the pending reboot kernel and root for the satT60 using this method .. PLEASE???

ronnythunder
09-12-2001, 02:11 PM
Any interest in a DSR6000 backup of 2.0 that's pending restart 2.5? I have such a beast available. Note: it's 2.0, not 2.0.1, and the new software is definitely 2.5.

My current backup is with: "mfstool backup -6o"; if anyone has tips on getting it smaller, I'm listening.

ronny

Remember 09.11.01

Lure
09-12-2001, 03:25 PM
Any interest in a DSR6000 backup of 2.0 that's pending restart 2.5?

Yes please,
upload only: ftp://tivo:tivo@213.10.105.133:2121

BubbaJ
09-12-2001, 04:30 PM
AFAIK, mfstools does not back up the pending restart partition. Hence, such a backup is probably useless.. (I don't REALLY know, I just read somewhere that mfstools would not back up the pending restart partition..)

SuperVHS
09-12-2001, 05:43 PM
See above, you can backup the individual partitions

"dd if=/dev/hdx1 bs=512 | gzip -9c > /mnt/file1.gz"
"dd if=/dev/hdx2 bs=512 | gzip -9c > /mnt/file2.gz"

"dd if=/dev/hdx9 bs=512 | gzip -9c > /mnt/file9.gz"
"dd if=/dev/hdx10 bs=512 | gzip -9c > /mnt/file10.gz"

The biggest part of any backup is partition 11, with all the video.

ronnythunder
09-12-2001, 05:48 PM
I thought that as well, but it was clear that I only have one boot partition with anything in it (part 7, the default), and the logs suggest that the 2.5 stuff was loaded into MFS to be (presumably) extracted and loaded upon reboot.

Now that I think about it, perhaps I should look in /var to make sure that there's not something there..hmm..

ronny

Remember 09.11.01

ronnythunder
09-12-2001, 05:57 PM
Lure, I'm trying to send, but I can't get to the IP that you posted. If you can bring it up, I'll start the transfer.

ronny

Remember 09.11.01

SuperVHS
09-12-2001, 09:43 PM
not sure about the latest s/w upgrade, but previous upgrades

1) downloaded compressed files into /var/packages
2) uncompressed and loaded the new kernel and s/w to the alternative partitions (if it does not exist, it will build it).
3) deletes the downloaded files
4) changes the boot parameters to boot on the alternate partition
5) waits for reboot

on reboot, the new software rebuilds anything that it needs to, restructures mfs, etc.

Lure
09-13-2001, 06:28 AM
Since I shutted down my ftp with back ups we might as wel shut this thread. Watchs other threads to get info on the posibilities back ups.

I plan to put my energy in to other facets of tivo hacking. (2.5 is not solved and a I want to be able to change the menu of the tivo and the remote control reactions, skip backs and stuff. I have wishes enought-))

please keep the back ups comming on the new ftp, It wil help us all with hacking and will recover many (now lost) tivo machines!

happy hacking
Lure :D :D :D