PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Need DVD media advice

BubbleLamp
12-19-2002, 09:39 PM
Well I bit the bullet today and ordered a Sony DRU500A ($320 from Microwarehouse) right after I ordered a new Dell (2.6GHz, 17" LCD, 128MB Radeon 9700, 120GB HD, CD/RW and DVD). Whoo Hoo!

So I'm looking for names of media you guys find give the best results.

PS, I blame this all on Josh. :eek: :D ;) :rolleyes:

keith721
12-19-2002, 10:17 PM
but seems that i've read a few users like www.meritline.com and others advise the 'Princo' generic media both work well. after i work up the courage to buy a spindle of 50 or 100, i'll let you know what i discover, personally. ;)

meanwhile, check out the comments posted at
http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdmedia.php?selectmedia=12

captain_video
12-20-2002, 09:04 AM
I've used Princo DVD-R and -RW discs in my Pioneer A03 with excellent results. There are a lot of other brands that have appeared lately so I'm sure that there are other brands just as compatible. I found quite a few vendors by doing a search on ebay for DVD media. A lot of them offer sampler packs that allow you to try several different brands without a big investment. The Sony is a newcomer on the block and I haven't seen any reports on how well they work. The list price is $349 and they aren't very widely discounted. They're also backordered on a lot of websites so you're fortunate to have been able to find one in stock. They're currently selling for over $400 on ebay! I was thinking about seeing if I could pick up a couple and sell them on ebay for a little extra Christmas cash until I saw how the availability was almost non-existent.

bato
12-21-2002, 01:33 PM
Take note that Princo 1x can only burn at 1x with the DRU500A and firmware 1.0f, other 1x like Accu (manufactured Lead Data) and some Ritek and even Meritline Generic 1x will burn at 2x with the latest firmware.

You can check the manufacturer and the speed that can be burn with your Sony with Nero CD Speed 1.02.