PDA

View Full Version : TyTool5 running VERY VERY slow

jaja
12-21-2002, 03:28 PM
For the first few weeks, TyTool5 was running just fine. All of a sudden, it started running abysmally slow. It takes 6+ hours just to download 30 minutes.

I've rebooted both my PC and my TiVo. No improvement.

Any ideas?

jdiner
12-21-2002, 04:02 PM
No not really.

Something else must have changed. The OS version on your Tivo. The network itself in some way. Something has altered or degraded. Go back over all the pieces looking for changes.

--jdiner

jaja
01-10-2003, 04:05 PM
Well, I've checked everything I can think to check and TyTool5 is still running very slow.

I've done a little research here on the forum and I've noticed there are other people who've also experience this problem. I really haven't seen that they've solved it.

Some of the troubleshooting steps have involved ... checking the FTP speed ... adjusting duplex settings ... adjusting priority settings ... etc...

Where should I start? My TiVo's starting to fill up with stuff I don't want to delete and I really need to get this stuff on CD or DVD soon.

BubbleLamp
01-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Based on what I saw when analysing the network traffic between the PC and Tivo, I'd say there are two things that would/could help. First, if you are using an Ethernet hub, replace it with a switch. Right now the bandwidth utilization for 10Mbps Ethernet is a very high average of ~60%. When it reaches these sorts of saturation levels, Ethernet performance takes a real nose dive. 10/100 switches and NICs are dirt cheap these days.

Second, if you can't replace it, remove any other devices from the hub when doing the transfers.

Pr.Sinister
01-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Actually this happened to me yesterday...

Problem was that another machine on my network
had the been assigned the TiVo's IP by my DHCP server.

Since the Tivo wasn't on the network when that happened,
when i plugged in the TiVo, i could access it and all but extraction
was extremely slow.

I re-arranged my IP's and all is well in extraction land!

-Pr.

bato
01-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Sometimes it happen to me and I change in the PC side from auto sense to 10 full duplex, or 100 full duplex and test, sometimes one is slow and other fast, don't know why but it happens.

Last time I extracted I put 10 full duplex and worked like a MB/s, but then I connected my laptop to run Ghost and it say 11MB/min, so I went back and changed to 100 full duplex in the PC and I ran Ghost at about 70MB/min.

Did you install/upgrade some software like firewall or something like that? maybe is not working as expected.

BubbleLamp
01-10-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by bato
Sometimes it happen to me and I change in the PC side from auto sense to 10 full duplex, or 100 full duplex and test, sometimes one is slow and other fast, don't know why but it happens.

Whenever you change a NIC from full to 1/2 or vice versa, you have to unplug it from the switch, and then plug it back in. Many times the auto-sense won't work correctly by just changing the setting. And some very old switches have manual override dip switches for 1/2 - full, because the Nway spec wasn't finalized when they were made.

justme
01-12-2003, 03:31 AM
My two cents:

I have a dual processor (P-III) computer running Win2000, which seems to have something to do with the problem. I have seen other posts that also mention dual processors.

I almost always get very slow extraction speeds (1/10) with tytool under normal conditions. I can ftp files to/from the DTiVo at full speed under the exact same conditions. I have tried different ethernet switches, different duplex settings, etc.

The one thing that I can do that will bring the extraction speed up to full is to run TMPGEnc and transcode a video while I am extracting. If I stop TMPGEnc while the extraction is happening, the extraction rate drops dramatically.

There may be something else going on with single processor computers that causes a slowdown, but in my experience, there is something strange about the process priority of the tytool client when run on a dual processor Win2000 computer. I have to run a very CPU intensive process while extracting to get full speed extraction.

Until this gets fixed, I just always start an MPEG transcode before extracting any new shows. Works every time. (I have made about 50 DVDs and 20 VideoCDs so far.)

BubbleLamp
01-12-2003, 12:18 PM
Have you tried going into Task Manager and changing the Process's priority? Just curious if that has any effect.

dbesler
01-12-2003, 02:47 PM
I to have observed a massive slowdown. I am running W2k Pro and Tytool 5r2.

Same system when booted off a Win98SE partition runs about 1 MB/s (normal), running from W2k partition extracts at 1/10 that speed (3,042,97 MB in 7h 17m).

The only thing that has changed on the Win2k system was a recent round of Microsoft updates: SP3 and all current security patches.

I suspect that something in the current Win2K (possibly WinXP as well) maintenance levels has introduced a performance issue with tytool.

justme
01-12-2003, 05:12 PM
BubbleLamp - I just tried setting the process priority to "above normal" and "high" and it made no difference.

I also have SP3 installed. I wonder if MS did break something with SP3?

Months ago, I used to get fast extractions. Along the way I added the second processor and SP3. I don't remember exactly when things slowed down. Maybe it is one or both of those in combination?

BubbleLamp
01-12-2003, 05:14 PM
I am running on WinXP Pro, SP1. I get nearly 1.5MB/s.

jaja
01-13-2003, 12:40 PM
I tried using TMPGEnc to encode videos while using TyTool5 to extract and I was unable to increase the speed.

Sounds like the two processor thing is a clue here. When you run TMPGEnc when you're extracting, I'll bet your system is dedicating one processor for each task. Running TyTool5 alone seems to be confusing SOME of the two processor systems out there.

I did, however, make one change to my system ... I increased the memory from 128 to 512. I'm running a 1.5 P4 Sony Vaio. I'm not sure if I'm using two processors or not ... how can I tell?

Is there a beta version of TyTool which we can use to troubleshoot this (no/low/hi priorities, use one processor only, etc..)?

jaja
01-13-2003, 12:41 PM
I will try (tonight, when I get home from work) removing the newly installed memory (back to 128) to see if that identifies my particular problem.

BubbleLamp
01-13-2003, 10:29 PM
What OS are you running jaja? Only WinNT/2K/XP will use 2 CPUs. If you are running dual CPU, you can check Task Manager to see if the load is spread across both. Also, 128MB isn't enough RAM for WinNT/2K/XP.

justme
01-14-2003, 12:08 AM
Adding extra RAM shouldn't cause a problem. It should make things better. I have 1GB of RAM in my dual P-III box.

BubbleLamp
01-14-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by justme
Adding extra RAM shouldn't cause a problem. It should make things better. I have 1GB of RAM in my dual P-III box.

That was my point. Wink2K/XP running on 128MB would constantly be swapping memory to disk, severely hampering all performance.

jaja
02-03-2003, 02:18 PM
My TiVo extraction rate for the last two weeks of November was close to 100 mb/s. Since then, it has never been higher then 1 mb/s. The only change made to my computer was a memory upgrade. I removed the upgraded memory and I'm still getting the slow 1 mb/s.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to troubleshoot? How can I determine if my TiVo-Net card is good/bad?

Please don't start talking about other things. This thread is for "Slow TiVo" matters only.

BubbleLamp
02-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by jaja
My TiVo extraction rate for the last two weeks of November was close to 100 mb/s. Since then, it has never been higher then 1 mb/s. The only change made to my computer was a memory upgrade. I removed the upgraded memory and I'm still getting the slow 1 mb/s.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to troubleshoot? How can I determine if my TiVo-Net card is good/bad?

Please don't start talking about other things. This thread is for "Slow TiVo" matters only.

Think you're mixing Mb/s and MB/s. I get a nearly consistent 1.5 MB/s (12Mb/s) on 100Mbps switched Ethernet. Nobody gets 100Mb/s throughput.

jdiner
02-03-2003, 03:28 PM
I agree with bubblelamp. 100 megabyte/sec is just not possible. That is faster than the spec spec will even go. Much less an machine like a Tivo with an underpowered CPU.

Double check your information and your records or whatever. The fastest I have ever gone is 1.5m/s and I get that with a +-1% different every time...

--jdiner

Hobby
02-03-2003, 03:47 PM
I've encountered the same problem within the last week or so.

I was extracting just fine at about 1.2 to 1.5 m/s until a few days ago. Now I'm only getting roughly 1/4 of those speeds.

I haven't changed anything I was doing it just slowed down. I'm runnimg a 2.2 ghz Pentium 4 with 512 MB of ram and a 120 Gig Hard drive that isn't anywhere near full.

I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks
Hobby

jdiner
02-03-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Hobby
I've encountered the same problem within the last week or so.

I was extracting just fine at about 1.2 to 1.5 m/s until a few days ago. Now I'm only getting roughly 1/4 of those speeds.

I haven't changed anything I was doing it just slowed down. I'm runnimg a 2.2 ghz Pentium 4 with 512 MB of ram and a 120 Gig Hard drive that isn't anywhere near full.

Something had to change. Not saying you did it. But something changed. Something on the tivo, the network you have setup, or your PC.

Has anything at all been installed? Games, compilers, anything?

Do you have another machines? Perhaps some simple throughput testing amoung several machines will help you track things down...

--jdiner

jaja
02-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Let's just say that it used to take 5 minutes to download a 30 minute TiVo recording. Now, it takes about an hour to download the same exact 30 minute show.

jaja
02-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Yes, I agree that something had to have changed but no changes have been made to my setup except for the memory upgrade which I've since uninstalled so I can troubleshoot this.

Is there a way to connect the TiVo directly to another computer instead of going through the router?

How do I perform this throughput testing?

Hobby
02-03-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by jdiner
Something had to change. Not saying you did it. But something changed. Something on the tivo, the network you have setup, or your PC.

Has anything at all been installed? Games, compilers, anything?

Do you have another machines? Perhaps some simple throughput testing amoung several machines will help you track things down...

--jdiner

The only thing I can think of that could have changed is a Microsoft Update I took. I haven't installed anything and this slowdown has me baffled.

One thing that is perplexing is when this started, I noticed that certain things were different. Like my default directory for processong TY streams had changed. In other words - when I used to process a TY file it would automatically search in the D:\Movies directory. Then for no apparent reason it changed to C:\MY Documents.

I can't explain it, but maybe something within the CPU reset and it affected Tytool.

Any ideas on if this could be the reason and a possible fix if it is?

Thanks
Hobby

BubbleLamp
02-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Yes, I agree that something had to have changed but no changes have been made to my setup except for the memory upgrade which I've since uninstalled so I can troubleshoot this.

Is there a way to connect the TiVo directly to another computer instead of going through the router?

How do I perform this throughput testing?

Wait, you are using a router? Does it have a built-in switch or hub? There is a huge difference, and it affects what settings you should set on the NIC. If it's NOT a switch, you MUST use half-duplex.

Yes, you can connect a PC directly to a Tivo with a CAT5 crossover cable.

Hobby
02-03-2003, 05:41 PM
One more quick note: In my setup, I'm using a cat5 cross-over cable.

So a hub or a switch is not effecting me - it just slowed down and I don't know why.

--Hobby--

jdiner
02-03-2003, 06:06 PM
The only thing I can think of that could have changed is a Microsoft Update I took. I haven't installed anything and this slowdown has me baffled.
An update to what specifically? An OS patch or an IE update? These things are very broad reaching in what they effect.

And a second time... Do you have another machine? Another PC specifically to do some testing with?

--jdiner

Hobby
02-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by jdiner
An update to what specifically? An OS patch or an IE update? These things are very broad reaching in what they effect.

And a second time... Do you have another machine? Another PC specifically to do some testing with?

--jdiner

Actually I've taken more that 1 update. They all seem to concern internet safety..... Is it not a good idea to take these updates? It just seem weird that an update from Microsoft could cause a problem (Maybe!!!) but that's Microsoft for you.

I'll have to set up another PC this weekend for testing.

Jdiner - if you don't mind - give me a synopsis of what testing you suggest

--Hobby--

jaja
02-03-2003, 08:12 PM
Yes, I have a router. Standard Linksys. Before everyone gets all excited about routers, cables, and Windows Updates, please keep in mind that this was all working perfectly fine and then, all of a sudden ... traffic jam.

Obviously, something changed and, obviously, it's not readily apparent what it was. I could be a Windows Update. It could be a hardware failure. This is why we're searching for a straightforward, logical troubleshooting approach.

Instead of guessing, can anyone just get started with some basic troubleshooting. Something like, "... OK, from the Bash prompt type 'speedcheck' ..." or something. Then we can all move steadily forward and identify the problem.

Make sense?

BubbleLamp
02-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Yes, I have a router. Standard Linksys. Before everyone gets all excited about routers, cables, and Windows Updates, please keep in mind that this was all working perfectly fine and then, all of a sudden ... traffic jam.

Obviously, something changed and, obviously, it's not readily apparent what it was. I could be a Windows Update. It could be a hardware failure. This is why we're searching for a straightforward, logical troubleshooting approach.

Instead of guessing, can anyone just get started with some basic troubleshooting. Something like, "... OK, from the Bash prompt type 'speedcheck' ..." or something. Then we can all move steadily forward and identify the problem.

Make sense?

Well we are guessing because we aren't there to test it ourselves. There is no such thing as speedcheck, it's more involved than that. Network troubleshooting isn't the purpose of this board. We can all go down a deep rathole trying to solve your problem. There are just too many variables; from the type of cable to the brand of NIC, driver revisions, half/full duplex settings, etc. etc. etc.

keith721
02-03-2003, 09:25 PM
What type of NIC is in your PC, what type of crossover cable, what type of router/switch/hub, how's your Turbonet cabled in and outside of your TiVo, how's your NIC configured in Windoze? All of these can be contributing factors.

if you're using any cat-5 connectors that you crimped yourself, and you were less than ridiculously anal :D about correctly twisting and trimming the wire pairs, it's possible that your connector has worked loose or a too-long wire has kinked or twisted. or, you may have a sharp bend (an angle rather than a curve) in your line that was not there days earlier. either of these things, poor connections or sharply bent cable can cause a 100 Mbit/sec connection to drop to a 10 Mbit/sec rate. finally, marginal quality cable and/or connectors may perform well at first, but oxidize and lose quality over time.

what type of NIC is in your computer? there were problems with the LinkSys LN100TX NIC where it would not successfully talk to another identical NIC with only a crossover cable between them. you actually had to have a hub/switch between the two NICs for them to negotiate 100 Mbit/sec rates. how old is the NIC? cheaper cards have lower quality components, including the RJ-45 socket, capacitors, and surface-mount devices. it's possible a solder joint has failed somewhere on the NIC, causing the lower rate.

what version of Windoze are you running? have you tried changing your NIC properties from 'Auto-Negotiate' to '100 Mbit' and see if that makes a difference? BubbleLamp can tell you better than I, but forcing half-duplex or full-duplex in the wrong configuration can cause more harm than good.

how is your turbonet board connected to outside the TiVo? is it a cable you constructed yourself, or did you purchase it? do you have a sharp bend or twist in the cable somewhere inside the TiVo, or as soon as it goes out the back of the TiVo?

hope something here helps you. first, re-check your Windoze NIC properties; it only costs you the time to do it. worst case, :rolleyes: i'd suggest buying a new $15 NIC and $15 crossover cable, install them, and see if that makes any difference.

good luck . . .

jaja
02-03-2003, 09:31 PM
In another thread, BubbleLamp, you told me to issue this "speedcheck" command that you now say doesn't exist. You remember ... ifconfig don't you?

That, my friends is example of troubleshooting instead of guessing. Even though that didn't identify our problem, let's move onto the next step.

BubbleLamp
02-03-2003, 09:54 PM
In another thread, BubbleLamp, you told me to issue this "speedcheck" command that you now say doesn't exist. You remember ... ifconfig don't you?

That, my friends is example of troubleshooting instead of guessing. Even though that didn't identify our problem, let's move onto the next step.

Better re-read what's in the thread dude. You mentioned the term speedcheck, I never did. I said it doesn't exist.

anyway, read the other post I did about speed, looks like lophophore found something on the M$ site.

jaja
02-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Hobby and I are experiencing the exact same problem yet we're running different OS. Also, Hobby has his TiVo directly cabled into his PC while I'm running mine through a router. Finally, with all the other people out there starting to experience slowness, I really doubt all of our cables went bad at the same time.

Since it appears that speculation and guessing ("What OC are you running?", "Wait, you have a router?", "perhaps your cable is crimped", etc...) haven't gotten me anywhere for 2 months, is there a way to troubleshoot this logically?

I really think this is somehow related to some sort of "behind the scenes" Windows update which we can't back out.

wadevb
02-04-2003, 01:21 PM
Why don't you "speed test" with ftp. Simply find a suitable file, and time the transfer.

jaja
02-04-2003, 01:24 PM
I hadn't thought of this before. I've never been adverse to a little common sense though but can I do this? I'm not sure if I have FTP installed on the TiVo. I'll wait till I get home tonight to try though.

Hobby, can you try this on you TiVo now?

Hobby
02-04-2003, 04:01 PM
I'll give it try when I get home.

I was just thinking - would it be totally stupid to reformat the hard drive on my pc and put a fresh install of XP on it and see if the problem goes away?

I wouldn't mind doing that if I can be sure to recover all the factory installed software. As you know under XP they don't give you installation disks for the OS or any software for that matter - Only recovery discs.

If anyone cares to expand on this - please do - I'm all ears.

--Hobby--

BubbleLamp
02-04-2003, 04:23 PM
I'll give it try when I get home.

I was just thinking - would it be totally stupid to reformat the hard drive on my pc and put a fresh install of XP on it and see if the problem goes away?

I wouldn't mind doing that if I can be sure to recover all the factory installed software. As you know under XP they don't give you installation disks for the OS or any software for that matter - Only recovery discs.

If anyone cares to expand on this - please do - I'm all ears.

--Hobby--

I wouldn't do it Hobby. What brand of NIC do you have? Since there is a known issue with XP and 100Mbps networking, I'd check with the NIC vendor specifically about this issue. The example shown in the M$ doc is for an Intel NIC. If you have a system that uses an embedded NIC, it too could be an Intel. Either way, I think ruling out the NIC driver settings would be the way I'd go. Not always the simplest path, but best way to get to the root cause. Unless you really have nothing of value on the drive, it seems a shame to wipe it all. Besides, if you drop down to 10Mbps, the interframe gap wouldn't be wrong, and you should get decent performance.

Hobby
02-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
I wouldn't do it Hobby. What brand of NIC do you have? Since there is a known issue with XP and 100Mbps networking, I'd check with the NIC vendor specifically about this issue. The example shown in the M$ doc is for an Intel NIC. If you have a system that uses an embedded NIC, it too could be an Intel. Either way, I think ruling out the NIC driver settings would be the way I'd go. Not always the simplest path, but best way to get to the root cause. Unless you really have nothing of value on the drive, it seems a shame to wipe it all. Besides, if you drop down to 10Mbps, the interframe gap wouldn't be wrong, and you should get decent performance.

BubbleLamp - I'm really not sure about the specific brand of my NIC - My PC is a prepackaged Sony Vaio, so anything is possible, I know the DVD Burner ia a pioneer.

As for reformatting the drive - I have everything of importance on back-up disks. Are the recovery disks that come with the CPU enough to reinstall XP and ALL the associated software that came with the Vaio?

I also believe that all of my programs have slowed - I compile with DVDMaestro and Burn with NERO - they both seem slower.

Any help is truly appreciated

--Hobby--

BubbleLamp
02-04-2003, 04:40 PM
BubbleLamp - I'm really not sure about the specific brand of my NIC - My PC is a prepackaged Sony Vaio, so anything is possible, I know the DVD Burner ia a pioneer.

As for reformatting the drive - I have everything of importance on back-up disks. Are the recovery disks that come with the CPU enough to reinstall XP and ALL the associated software that came with the Vaio?

I also believe that all of my programs have slowed - I compile with DVDMaestro and Burn with NERO - they both seem slower.

Any help is truly appreciated

--Hobby--

Most recovery disks will take you back to an 'as shipped' state, but it's worth checking to be sure.

Just for kicks, go to Start/Settings/Network Connections. Right-click on the Local Area Connection icon and choose Properties. In the Connect using box at the top it should tell the name of the NIC.

As for everything being slow, how often do you defrag the disk?

BubbleLamp
02-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by wadevb
Why don't you "speed test" with ftp. Simply find a suitable file, and time the transfer.

While this is a perfectly good way to test, unfortunately without knowing the numbers when it worked well might not tell us much. The problem is there is a big unresolved issue in how Tytool/Tserver handles packet sizes on the wire. The FTP daemon doesn't have this problem, so the numbers will most certainly be higher.

Hobby
02-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Most recovery disks will take you back to an 'as shipped' state, but it's worth checking to be sure.

Just for kicks, go to Start/Settings/Network Connections. Right-click on the Local Area Connection icon and choose Properties. In the Connect using box at the top it should tell the name of the NIC.

I'll check the NIC tonight when I get home.

I defrag the drive at least once monthly (Both C & D).

Hobby
02-04-2003, 07:27 PM

BubbleLamp

I checked the brand name of my NIC

"Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC"

But let me just say folks - It might just be my imagination - but I feel like everything has slowed down....... ie Tychopper, Tydemux, Jdiner's Key generator for GOPedit, DVDMaestro Compiler and burning with NERO.

I hope it is just my imagination, but one thing is for certain Tytool has slowed considerably.

If anyone has ideas let us know.

--Hobby--

jaja
02-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Hobby, I too have a Sony Vaio. In an attempt to resolve this issue a few months ago, I restored everything using the CDs they gave me and ... viola ... the problem stayed the same but all of the bundled software became unusable. Everytime I try to run Adobe Photoshop, it asks me for some 16 digit registration code which I'm sure to have lost.

BubbleLamp
02-04-2003, 09:05 PM
Now isn't that interesting, you both are having speed issues, and you both have a VAIO. Have either of you check with Sony about this?

Piedrap
02-04-2003, 10:00 PM
thanks BubbleLamp ....I fixed the problem...was .missing the target - path on telnet: " bash-2.02# cd/var/hack..."
..for newbes people as me , you need to call the path , with sub-directories before call the client program "Tserver_mfs5 ''....
I hope this comments can help someone else...

Thaks so much , anyway Bubble... :)

Hobby
02-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Hobby, I too have a Sony Vaio. In an attempt to resolve this issue a few months ago, I restored everything using the CDs they gave me and ... viola ... the problem stayed the same but all of the bundled software became unusable. Everytime I try to run Adobe Photoshop, it asks me for some 16 digit registration code which I'm sure to have lost.

jaja

Thanks for the heads-up, I won't reformat my drive. I had a feeling that I shouldn't have gone with a prepackaged computer - next time, I'll build my own.

The fact that the software is bundled in a way that you can't repair it SUCKS.

thanks again jaja

--Hobby--

Hobby
02-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Piedrap
thanks BubbleLamp ....I fixed the problem...was .missing the target - path on telnet: " bash-2.02# cd/var/hack..."
..for newbes people as me , you need to call the path , with sub-directories before call the client program "Tserver_mfs5 ''....
I hope this comments can help someone else...

Thaks so much , anyway Bubble... :)

Piedrap

I'm not sure that I understand what you're trying to say - Please elaborate.

jaja and I had things working just fine and they seemed to slow down for no reason - so I'm not sure if what you're trying to say really applies to our situation - but by all means - please expand if you think it is pertinent.

--Hobby--

Hobby
02-04-2003, 11:38 PM
Now isn't that interesting, you both are having speed issues, and you both have a VAIO. Have either of you check with Sony about this?

BubbleLamp

You'er probably right, I'll have to check that out, not sure how though.

If you know how to go about it I would truly appreciate any advice you have.

--Hobby--

BubbleLamp
02-04-2003, 11:50 PM
BubbleLamp

You'er probably right, I'll have to check that out, not sure how though.

If you know how to go about it I would truly appreciate any advice you have.

--Hobby--

Here's the Sony support site (http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/). Check their driver updates and knowledge base.

Hobby
02-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Here's the Sony support site (http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/). Check their driver updates and knowledge base.

Thanks BubbleLamp - I'll look into it today.

Also, while I was posting last night, certain things were changing within my computer. for example the toolbars for my web browser (Internet Explorer) changed/disappeared and different ones appeared at will.

It looks like something weird is going on. Do you have any suggestions?

--Hobby--

02-05-2003, 10:38 AM
Thanks BubbleLamp - I'll look into it today.

Also, while I was posting last night, certain things were changing within my computer. for example the toolbars for my web browser (Internet Explorer) changed/disappeared and different ones appeared at will.

It looks like something weird is going on. Do you have any suggestions?

--Hobby--

Download spybot, it sounds like you picked up a browser hijacker.

Hobby
02-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by newbie
Download spybot, it sounds like you picked up a browser hijacker.

Thanks newbie

I'll try it tonight

--Hobby--

BubbleLamp
02-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Or Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/), which I mentioned in an earlier post.

And for the record, just turning off Gator does NOT stop the spyware from running. Anyone running it will have problems sooner or later. Do yourself a big favor and get rid of it, then run Ad-aware and clean out the rest of the crap.

Hell, the fact that you both have Sony's makes me think it came down from some sort of automated push they may use.

jaja
02-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Check out my latest post in BubbleLamp's "Which OS" (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21608)

I'll definitely give Ad-Ware a shot!

Hobby
02-05-2003, 05:09 PM
BubbleLamp

I Downloaded Ad-Aware 6.0 and have a question.

Is it OK to quarantine and delete all files found or should I be careful with this?

--Hobby--

02-05-2003, 06:03 PM
This version of adaware has only been out for a few days.
In the past I've always let it delete everything, with the new quarantine option you can always reverse what you do.

Some programs may not work if you delete the spyware programs. Good riddance, just find an alternative program.

Kaazalite is a version of kaaza without the spyware for example.

jaja
02-05-2003, 09:55 PM
Well, it's been an hour since I allowed Ad-Aware to delete all 156 "offending objects" (mostly cookies) from my system. The program worked great, it deleted alot of stuff. Unfortunately, it had absolutely no effect on speeding up my TyTool transfers.

I have afunny feeling it's the TiVo or the networking card that came with it. Sometimes, my TiVo menus are slow, especially the Guide. If I had a problem with my PC, NIC, or router, don't you think I'd notice an internet slowdown?

What's next?

Hobby
02-06-2003, 10:07 AM
jaja is right - Ad-Aware didn't help this issue - but it's still a great program and was worth the Download.

I'm still open for suggestions - a sudden slow down in extraction speed for no apparent reason just doesn't make sense.

--Hobby--

Wooly
02-06-2003, 10:42 AM
Let's try something:

Run TivoApp. I have problems with TyTools getting good throughput, but I NEVER have problems with TivoApp. If you can run TivoApp and get good results, then you have a problem with TyTool. There is a problem that Jdiner may/may not have figured out with TyTool that I written about somewhere that he is still working on (has to do with TCP block size, and wasted space inside each block, which makes effective throughput drop down dramatically).

In File->Options, make sure you use mfs_stream as your transport (it's a hacked version that has lowest priority, so you don't hose your viewing pleasure). Read the Readme.txt first, BTW.

If that works, you can at least download the .ty files. JUST DOWNLOAD THE .TY FILES, don't select any .mpg conversion stuff, as this tool was originally designed for the SA.

Well, it's been an hour since I allowed Ad-Aware to delete all 156 "offending objects" (mostly cookies) from my system. The program worked great, it deleted alot of stuff. Unfortunately, it had absolutely no effect on speeding up my TyTool transfers.

I have afunny feeling it's the TiVo or the networking card that came with it. Sometimes, my TiVo menus are slow, especially the Guide. If I had a problem with my PC, NIC, or router, don't you think I'd notice an internet slowdown?

What's next?

jaja
02-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Sorry, I don't have FTP. Is there another way to get files to the TiVo from the Bash prompt? I know I did this before with TyTool but I can't remember how I did it and it's not in TyTool's readme.txt.

03-13-2003, 10:07 AM
I just did an upgrade to XP Pro from 98SE. I went ahead and installed all of the service packs. I left my file system alone. My extractions are now taking 4 times longer.

Did anyone find a solution? A search shows the problem but not any solutions. I'm going to try to look for obvious things.

Pr.Sinister
03-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by newbie
I just did an upgrade to XP Pro from 98SE. I went ahead and installed all of the service packs. I left my file system alone. My extractions are now taking 4 times longer.

Did anyone find a solution? A search shows the problem but not any solutions. I'm going to try to look for obvious things.

If you are using a TurboNet, do this :

- Right-Click on My Network Places
- Select Properties
- Right-Click on Local Area Connection
- Select Properties
- Under Connect Using (your network card), click Configure
- Go to the Advanced Tab
- Select Link Speed & Duplex
- Change it from Auto-Detect to 100mbps/Full Duplex

Before you do this, i suggest you download and install
DU Meter (http://www.hageltech.com/download/dumeter3.exe)

It's an awesome tool that shows you the speed you are transferring
at over the Internet/Intranet. With TyTool6, Double socket and my
DTiVo on standby mode, i get 2.10mb/sec.

So try it before and after changing the Link Speed and see if
it is satisfying.

-Pr.

03-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Must be another setting. My DL is running under 300 kB/sec (nice utility). Before I upgraded Windows I was getting about 1200 (just by looking at the tytools6 window).

Are there any other settings that I should change. Worked great before the upgrade. I am using a Linksys switch (not hub). I unplugged it to reset it.

I checked network utililization from task manager. It shows link speed 100mps but 1-2% utilization.

Does anyone think a backup, reformat, reinstall will do anything?

03-13-2003, 02:51 PM
updated turbonet drivers. About 1.6 MB/sec (thanks for DU meter heads up).

Don't know why XP needs the newer drivers.

Had switched to old mode trying to solve the problem. Back to double socket and up over 2 mB/sec.