PDA

View Full Version : Disk error -- plays in powerdvd not in new tv dvd player

snoopy
12-24-2002, 07:44 PM
I am using a Sony DRU500a burner. I have a DVD player built in to my new TV. I have burned my first DVD using TYTool 5's file spliter which creates m2a and m2v files from the ty stream. I used ifoedit 095 to author the vob's and Nero 5.10 to burn. Nero creates an empty Audio_ts folder by default (I understand this is required). The rest of the files go into the Video_ts folder and it plays fine in PowerDVD 4. It will not play on my DVD player. What can I do to insure the greatest compatability possible with "most" of the DVD players out there?

artships
12-25-2002, 12:20 AM
Um, make sure the resolution is 720x480, and the audio is at 48kHz?

snoopy
12-25-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by artships
Um, make sure the resolution is 720x480, and the audio is at 48kHz?

The frame size according to ifoedit is 480x480. Would that make that big of a difference?

Hi8
12-25-2002, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by snoopy
The frame size according to ifoedit is 480x480. Would that make that big of a difference?

YES, it is probably THE problem. I have several DVD players and disc authored in the way you discribe, play only in a choice few. Apex being the most capatible.

captain_video
12-25-2002, 10:26 AM
From what I've seen, a lot of the combo TV/VCR/DVD players aren't up with the latest technology as compared to separate units. It seems like they took last years's leftovers and packaged them in a single chassis. I have yet to find a current model DVD set top player that will NOT play a TyDVD made from my DTivo extracted videos. Any models older than one or two years don't seem to like any of the recordable formats and even some that do don't like the 480X480 resolution. DVDs made from DTivo tystreams will always be at 480X480 unlkess you transcode them or patch the entire file to 720X480 but it's likely that you will lose some picture quality in the process. I would recommend getting a separate late model DVD player to use with your TyDVDs. Take a disc with you and try them in every player you can find (or at least the models you're interested in) to ensure compatability.

snoopy
12-25-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
From what I've seen, a lot of the combo TV/VCR/DVD players aren't up with the latest technology as compared to separate units. It seems like they took last years's leftovers and packaged them in a single chassis. I have yet to find a current model DVD set top player that will NOT play a TyDVD made from my DTivo extracted videos. Any models older than one or two years don't seem to like any of the recordable formats and even some that do don't like the 480X480 resolution. DVDs made from DTivo tystreams will always be at 480X480 unlkess you transcode them or patch the entire file to 720X480 but it's likely that you will lose some picture quality in the process. I would recommend getting a separate late model DVD player to use with your TyDVDs. Take a disc with you and try them in every player you can find (or at least the models you're interested in) to ensure compatability.

Some DVD players won't play VCD's or Mp3 files and mine has done both so if it is at least new enough to accomplish that, I would anticipate that it could read my DVD's once I encode it correctly. To follow the train of thought in my previous message, what is the best way to get it to 720x480? I have heard alot about DVD Maestro and Spruceup. I have access to full versions of anything so I would like to know what would be the best option if anyone really knows.

laserfan
12-25-2002, 02:08 PM
Just checking: in Nero, are you burning as "DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO)"? It is the last DVD choice in the selection window.

You should be I think--at least this tripped me up initially.

snoopy
12-25-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by laserfan
Just checking: in Nero, are you burning as "DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO)"? It is the last DVD choice in the selection window.

You should be I think--at least this tripped me up initially.

I used the Wizard but Yes, I think that is how I did it.

bato
12-25-2002, 10:40 PM
I tested in some units and the only that show Error is a DVD/VCR combo, all others try to read the disc and display something even if the video/audio is not right.

So, your burn is in -R,+R,-RW or +RW? Maybe you get lucky and one of the other formats can be read in your player, but be advised that maybe it can't handle the 480x480 resolution.

I read in vcdhelp that you can burn in Nero as DVD Video or DVD-Rom UDF, and some people have this problem with Nero 5.5.10 (Error instead of playing) that they went back to 5.5.9.17. Take note that there are 2 version of 5.5.9.17, the later have problems closing the DVD with the Sony. I was able to find the firs version and I have no problems burning with it.

snoopy
12-26-2002, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by bato
I tested in some units and the only that show Error is a DVD/VCR combo, all others try to read the disc and display something even if the video/audio is not right.

So, your burn is in -R,+R,-RW or +RW? Maybe you get lucky and one of the other formats can be read in your player, but be advised that maybe it can't handle the 480x480 resolution.

I read in vcdhelp that you can burn in Nero as DVD Video or DVD-Rom UDF, and some people have this problem with Nero 5.5.10 (Error instead of playing) that they went back to 5.5.9.17. Take note that there are 2 version of 5.5.9.17, the later have problems closing the DVD with the Sony. I was able to find the firs version and I have no problems burning with it.

This is good information. Thanks. Do you know if I burn a -RW +RW DVD, if I can erase and re-record once it is "closed"??

Wooly
12-26-2002, 09:34 AM
I experienced the problem (I thought I was losing my mind, or my IFOEdit'ng abilities, which would be even worse!!!), and downgraded as described - fixed. And even with 5.5.10.x I could close and then erase my DVD-RW's without any problems.

This is good information. Thanks. Do you know if I burn a -RW +RW DVD, if I can erase and re-record once it is "closed"??

durian
12-26-2002, 11:59 AM
I had similar problems (and several coasters??) with Nero Rom burner v. 5.5.10 when I upgraded blindly from 5.5.9.17(Pioneer A104 -- firmware 1.32). Does anyone know what the problem is?

mikerios
12-26-2002, 10:16 PM
Standard DVD formats are
720 x 480
704 x 480
352 x 480 ( half )
all at 48 Khz

you can patch a 480x480 mpeg 2 file ( you still need the audio upsampled to 48 khz ) to fool an authoring program in accepting it as a valid 720x480 mpeg 2 file. See doom9.org for details.

As for burning I use Stomp Record Now Max v 4.5 for all my dvd burns, and you do not necessarily need the AUDIO_TS directory though it's not bad thing to have it on there for compatiblities sake. One thing I do like about Record now, like Nero it checks the file structure ( and the VIDEO_TS.IFO ) to make sure the DVD to be burned is authored properly.

Nero ( for me ) used to do a good job of burning DVDs, but way too many coasters ( could have been the burner too since I have upgrde to a A04 from a A03 ) had me changing software, and even when it did burn 100% sucessfull ( accrdoing to Nero ) a quck flip over of the DVD showed visible errors. I still use Nero for all my other burning duties. I use to use Apple media but now use the 2x media found at Finodisc.com as i buy them at my local computer swapmeet and have very good playback with them ( with exceptions of my Sony SP 550 D as it tends to lock up toward the end of a DVD. ) My Pioneer 340 however does not and handles the lesser expensive media fine.

snoopy
12-28-2002, 10:56 AM
still not working

I don't know what to do now. It has no compatability with my DVD Player. I am using Nero's latest as opposed to prior versions. I think it is closing the disk fine as I have loaded the latest ROM update for the burner itself. I have no way to verify that the disk is being closed however. I am using a DVD+RW until I get it right. I'm at a complete loss. My DVD plays VCD's that I have burned so I am pretty sure it is new enough to do this. I'm just not sure what I am doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

mikerios
12-28-2002, 07:16 PM
by default Nero closes out a DVD-R, not sure about the DVD-RW. BTW I do not know if IFOedit needs to get VTS sectors, l( ike when you rip a DVD and are stripping out streams you do not want, its the last step before buring ) as since I have never authored in IFO edit I am not sure how the authoring works much less how it put in ( if it does at all ) chapter stops. A vob set re-built in IFOedit will play in Power DVD but if burnt ( and if you do not get the vts sectors ) will not play back on a home DVD unit.

snoopy
12-29-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by mikerios
by default Nero closes out a DVD-R, not sure about the DVD-RW. BTW I do not know if IFOedit needs to get VTS sectors, l( ike when you rip a DVD and are stripping out streams you do not want, its the last step before buring ) as since I have never authored in IFO edit I am not sure how the authoring works much less how it put in ( if it does at all ) chapter stops. A vob set re-built in IFOedit will play in Power DVD but if burnt ( and if you do not get the vts sectors ) will not play back on a home DVD unit.

I think the VTS sectors may be the problem then. I understand you use Stomp Record Now to insure it is authored correctly. I will try that.

snoopy
12-29-2002, 02:02 PM
OK, it looks like the VTS files are there, along with the VOB's, all within the video folder. The audio folder created by Nero is empty as it should be. So the VTS "sectors?" is probably not the culprit. I doubt "record now" would do any better at this point and all I am left with is DVD-RW. Not sure where to go from here?
I think the VTS sectors may be the problem then. I understand you use Stomp Record Now to insure it is authored correctly. I will try that.

mikerios
12-29-2002, 04:11 PM
since i have yet to author directly inside of ifo edit, i am not sure all the steps necessary, primarly I use ifoedit to strip out excessive streams of a allready authoered and ripped dvd file set. But all my authoring is done inside of DVD Workshop and it always builds the dvd file set correctly ( vob, ifo and bup files ). I'll chekc to see what exaclty you do ( by checking the guide at doom9.org ) for ifo edit, also are you using build .95 of ifoedit ?

snoopy
12-30-2002, 01:42 AM
since i have yet to author directly inside of ifo edit, i am not sure all the steps necessary, primarly I use ifoedit to strip out excessive streams of a allready authoered and ripped dvd file set. But all my authoring is done inside of DVD Workshop and it always builds the dvd file set correctly ( vob, ifo and bup files ). I'll chekc to see what exaclty you do ( by checking the guide at doom9.org ) for ifo edit, also are you using build .95 of ifoedit ?

Yes, I am using .095 of Ifoedit. I think there is a 96beta but I have not been able to locate it and from what I have read, is not a necessary thing. I think it authors the DVD the same way as DVD Workshop would. My primary concern now is CD closing. It does not appear to be possible using anything I have tried on a CDRW but there has to be a way to close it as if it were an RW.

mikerios
12-30-2002, 01:55 AM
well i have burnt a autheroed file set to a dvd-rw, and it plays fine. Ill have to try authoring inside of ifoedit.95 to see how it works as I ma curious how ( if it allows ) you to set chapter stops, menus ect...

snoopy
12-30-2002, 02:32 AM
well i have burnt a autheroed file set to a dvd-rw, and it plays fine. Ill have to try authoring inside of ifoedit.95 to see how it works as I ma curious how ( if it allows ) you to set chapter stops, menus ect...

Hmmm OK. I will try dvd workshop. Can you tell me where I might go get a copy

pedgington
01-01-2003, 09:29 AM
I thought my new DVD player was not handling my DVD-R's okay till I noticed that the only one that did play had a top level menu. All the others had been done in DVD workshop but I skipped the 'create menu' stage. This worked fine on the old DVD player and went straight into playing the DVD but the new one just hung on 'loading'. I guess this could also be down to lack of chapter marks type things.

Paul

mikerios
01-01-2003, 03:50 PM
you do not need a menu nor chatperstop for a move to play in a standalone. If you rip a movie in ifoedit for just the main movie and it rebuilds the vobs, it keeps the chapter stops but omits the main menu. And if you drag n drop the movie into the first play box in DVD Movie Factory or DVD Workshop ( or any other authoring program pretty much for that matter ) and then clik on create you will create a chapterless menuless dvd-r movie that will play on insertion to either a pc or home dvd unit and function fine.