PDA

View Full Version : (slightly OT) DVD player recommendations/compatibility

r00g
12-26-2002, 04:12 AM
I have been poring over lists of DVD players at Nerd-out.com, VCDHelp.com, and audioreview.com etc and have even gone out and purchaced a few DVD players just looking for that perfect player for me. The added TyDVD compatibility requirement is not often brought up on these sites so I thought I would explore the experiences that all of you have had and hopefully get a good recommendation. Here are my requirements in rough order of preference for a DVD player.

1) plays (cheap) DVD-R tystream DVDs burned on my Pioneer A04
2) coaxial digital output - I am all out of toslink connections
3) plays CD-R VCDs
4) can be made region free
5) plays CD-R SVCDs

I like but don't truly need the whole MP3 and JPEG playback thing.

I wouldn't mind going the Apex route, but have had trouble finding any of the older VCD capable units.

So far I have used:

Sony PS2 - works with TyDVDs but I don't have the remote for it and find it too noisy to deal with for DVD playback anyway.

Pioneer 525 - my old standby needs to be retired. It makes a nearly ear-piercing whine when playing any CD-R or audio CD, plus it can't play a TyDVD full screen.

Cyberhome 402 - this was the perfect player for me until I tried a TyDVD in it only to find that it choked on the 480x480 streams. It just stays on the menu screen as the VFD time counter advances.

Cyberhome 500 - can't even recognize DVD-R discs (!)

Philips DVD624at - I am using this now and am almost happy with it but have noticed audio pops in DVD playback, am forced to go into the setup menu and change the digital output from PCM to RAW for any DolbyDigital or DTS movies, and have experienced stutters/flaky playback on my TyDVDs burned onto cheap purple princo DVDs. The very first TyDVD i put in the player worked great, but has crashed the player every time I have inserted it since then. Maybe this will work better with better media so I am waiting and seeing on it right now.

So to all of you who got DVD players for xmas this year, lets hear about 'em. To all of you who didn't get DVD players this year, let's hear about your experiences too. I would love to eventually put together a centralized list here at DD so all who are looking for TyDVD compatibility have but a few mice to click to get the info.

r

Wooly
12-26-2002, 09:46 AM
The Quick answer - the Apex AD-1100W available at most Walmarts for around $60. BUT...and this is critical...you must get the box with the notation that has DVD/VCD/MP3/CD Player. All the newer ones only have DVD/MP3/CD Player, WITHOUT the VCD/SVCD capability. If you REALLY want to get interesting, there are 2 versions of the "good" 1100W - the ones with a 512k chip and the ones with a 1024k chip. Obviously, you want the one with 1024k chip.

Now, for those of you (not the author, but others reading this) what you should really do...research. I'm not being an ass, I just don't think you should buy something simply on faith. Go here:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers

and here:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdhacks

and you'll be busy. Buried in there are ways to identify the 1024k chip 1100W machine that is the Be-All End-All of DVD Players. Has to do with serial #'s and the color of the UPC code. I had to go through 40 boxes at Walmart before I found mine, but it was worth it. You can play ANYTHING on that thing - even burnt toast!

Originally posted by r00g
I have been poring over lists of DVD players at Nerd-out.com, VCDHelp.com, and audioreview.com etc and have even gone out and purchaced a few DVD players just looking for that perfect player for me. The added TyDVD compatibility requirement is not often brought up on these sites so I thought I would explore the experiences that all of you have had and hopefully get a good recommendation. Here are my requirements in rough order of preference for a DVD player.

1) plays (cheap) DVD-R tystream DVDs burned on my Pioneer A04
2) coaxial digital output - I am all out of toslink connections
3) plays CD-R VCDs
4) can be made region free
5) plays CD-R SVCDs
r

Fugg
12-26-2002, 10:29 AM
I've had some pretty good luck with the 1100w's, but have found a little weirdness.

I burn my disks as data disks mostly. I just burn mpegs to the disks as straight files, no dvd/vcd/svcd formatting. I haven't been able to burn a compliant dvd (I've got an A04) for love nor money, no matter what I do.

(i've got great hopes for ifoedit0.96, but as i have serious fears of paypal ripoffs, i have to wait for the general release or find another way to pay for "donation-ware")

I've got a couple of the 1meg versions of the 1100w and they have no problem reading a cd-r/rw as a data disk. It gives me a directory menu as if they were mp3's. I just select them and hit play. I have no ff or rewind, but it works till I can figure out the dvd format.

Here's the rub. The 1meg versions will play cd's burnt this way, but not dvd's burnt this way! ...very aggravating to say the least.

I set my sister up with a sa tivo and network setup and installed jdiner's tools. She took to it like a fish to water and has amassed one hell of a library of tv series.(The Sheild, 24, Soap,...)

The rest of the family found out about her collection and was bumming that they couldn't watch her cd's, so I bought 5 1100w's for them for christmas this year and made a discovery.

The "new" 1100w's did not have vcd support. No problem for me, I have no vcd's and they play my sister's cd's great!

But I found that the new ones will play mpegs from a dvd written as a data disk!! WOOHOO!!

Moral of the story?

The "good" old 1meg versions WILL NOT play dvd's burnt as data disks.
The "bad" new 512k version WILL play dvd's burnt as data disks!

...not too shabby for a "bad" $50 player, eh?
:)

Hi8
12-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Good luck finding a AD1100W they are discontinued. There are a few replacements AD1010W not as good. Most if not all newer available APEX players do NOT play VCD but do play SVCD somekind of royality issue with phillips or pioneer.

I have two AD1100Ws they play DVD-R & DVD-RW just fine. (1meg version & 512version) I author using IFOEdit096 - burn with Nero (DVD Video - format) never had a coaster yet. I also have a Nextbase DMV4 and a Koss 216x all of which play the above. All hacked RF and MV free. The Nextbase has TOS out, the Koss has Component Out! Target used to sell for $99. I got mine at Amazon.com $129 I think... Both are small portable players, with IR remotes; quite nice for the price. I here the best player to get for all of te above is the Norcent DP300 -- Wl-Mart was selling at one time ... not sure anymore.

captain_video
12-26-2002, 11:44 AM
r00g,

There are numerous posts on DVD player compatability in this forum and also the DTivo Hacking forum so you must not have looked very hard. Virtually all of the current model DVD set top players will meet all of the specified requirements except #4 as many mainstram models cannot be hacked to be made region-free. Many of the older Apex and other low-end players can be modified to be region-free but they are very cheaply made. I had an Apex AD1100W for about two months but it just didn't live up to the same quality of gear that was in the rest of my system. You pretty much get what you pay for which is why they're so inexpensive. It's my understanding that they use transports from PC-version DVD drives which is one reason why they play so many different formats.

I ran extensive personal hands-on tests of just about all of the major brands and some off-brands to check for compatability with my TyDVDs and found virtually all current models will play them just fine. I think it's more of an issue with being able to read recordable formats than the 480X480 resolution issue. Recordable drives use a different wavelength laser for writing and reading the discs which is why older models don't recognze them. Current models have incorporated the updated laser technology. I have since bought a Sony DVP-NS715P and it plays all of my TyDVDs perfectly. I believe it's also supposed to be VCD/SVCD compatible but I don't mess with them anyway so I could care less.

I stopped using VCRs since I got my DTivo so I can see no reason to revert to an inferior format for viewing (i.e. VCD/SVCD) and I think sitting in front of my PC to watch a movie is *****ic when I can relax in front of my 50" Mitsubishi RPTV with a fairly high-end surround system (all Vandersteen model 2 series speakers, Kenwood L-07M monoblocks and a B&K Reference 30 preamp/processor). I can see where it would be desireable to create them if you travel a lot and all you have is a laptop and hotel TV and you'd like to take along some of your own movies to watch.

nilknarf
12-27-2002, 06:59 PM
I can verify that the Toshiba SD-1600 will not play TyDVDs. The screen looks like this (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/oyez/scooby.jpg) and there is no audio. It is supposed to play DVD-R's, but I've been told it cannot handle the 480x480 resolution.

I also tried a TyDVD in my mom's Apex 1500 and to my surprise, it would not play at all. Others have reported success, so maybe it was my Ritek DVD-R.

Someone had indictated a while back that they were working on a webpage that would list DVD players and what they can play. Anybody know if that exists?

Edit: I did manage to find this tread that lists some players:
Tydvd DVD Players summary (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14771)

Edit: I ended up getting the Sony DVD changer, DVD-NC655P from hifi.com. Just tested it and it plays tydvds on DVD-R and DVD+RW beautifully.

JeffDogg1979
12-27-2002, 10:31 PM
My XBox loves the DVD-R's I use :)

Of course it still hates CD-Rs and refuses to do anything with them.

AlphaWolf
12-27-2002, 10:39 PM
can't xbox be modded to do everything listed here? cost you $250 after you get all of the necessary additions, and I heard cdrws work fine.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/lifestyle/general/xboxdvd.htm

gps
12-30-2002, 07:12 PM
I picked up the cheapest DVD player I've ever seen a couple weeks ago at Fry's. A Yamakawa DVD-218 for $47. It includes analog stereo, coax digital output as well as decoded dolby 5.1 outputs, composite, svideo and component video outputs.

It appears to work with VCDs that I have burned just fine as well as playing raw random bitrate mpeg 1 video, mpeg 2 video, mp3 audio and jpeg slideshow files burned to a CD-RW. I don't have any useful SVCDs to try it with but had difficulty with some of the demo ones i downloaded (it played but it seemed to take a while to load and start playing it).

The region code can be selected via the setup menu.

For the insanely cheap price this is an amazing player. (read reviews on vcdhelp.com to note some UI quirks)

bato
12-31-2002, 02:39 AM
I don't know why they bother with the region thing, in Mexico almost all players (about 4 of 5) are region free out from the box, you can buy Sony, Philips, Panasonic, etc. all region free, at least can play region 1 and 4 no problems.