PDA

View Full Version : To make multi shows on one dvd

ghost_rdr
12-26-2002, 02:34 PM
Captian video posted a great way for you to do what your looking to do here

Originally posted by captain_video
You can put multiple episodes on a DVD using either SpruceUp or DVD Maestro. SpruceUp is easiest because the menu function is built right into the program. Just import multiple episodes into the work area and then select a background and buttons. Add some text and position the buttons and text frames anywhere you like. You can also create your own backgrounds and buttons and import them into the styles gallery. You can also capture images from the video and use it as a background. You'll need to expand the image size using MS Paint and then save them in the larger size (otherwise they only get displayed as a 480X480 image and won't fill up the screen).

Once you've got your background and menu buttons, right-click on the button and associate it with a video segment or chapter within the video. You can set up chapter stops by right clicking on the video file in the working window and selecting clip properties. Advance the slider to where you want to add a chapter stop and click on the little red flag button. Moving the slider with the cursor provides a course adjustment. Using the cursor keys advances it in 1-second increments. Close the clip properties window when finished, associate the menu buttons with the video and chapter if you haven't already done so, and select the simulate button. Click on a menu button and the video you associated with that button should begin at the designated chapter point. Check each chapter stop and make sure it's where you want it. If not, go back to the author window and make any changes in the clip properties window. You can click on the chapter stop flags and delete them or use the arrows in the box at the lower right of the window to advance to the desired chapter point and hit delete. Note that any new chapter stops added to replace deleted ones will have to be renamed in the box at the right to keep them in numerical order. Go back to the simulate screen and double-check everything until you're satisfied with the finished product. If everything looks good, go to the export window and name the project in the window at the upper right. There are a couple of checkboxes at the lower half of the screen that ask if you want to include a demo version of SpruceUp and the DVD player software on the DVD compilation. Uncheck these unless you feel you need to include them. Save the project and then select the output as a title set and click on the write button.

The project will be compiled into a VIDEO_TS folder in the SpruceUp Working directory that can be burned to a DVD using Nero when it's complete. Note that these authoring functions are not possible with IFOEdit as it does not have the menu capability and the chapter stops are not at all accurate for precise placement. It may be fine for putting a single show or movie on a DVD but is severely lacking when it comes to actually authoring a DVD. It's basically a quick and dirty method of dumping a video to DVD with almost no options available. For archiving shows to DVD you need a real authoring program and IFOEdit just doesn't cut it in this area.

He is correct that ifoedit will have NO MENU's. jsut so you know

if you just want the say (3 eps of buffy) to play when you put the dvd in then you can follow this.

Easyiest and fastest

take the m2v and m2a files and open up ifoedit
authoer new dvd and add files
then hit new title and add next episode
(keep doing this for as many episodes ans you want)
remember you only have 4.7 gig

then hit ok and it will mux and compile the .vob files and you can create disk image from there.

this will get you started.

I will be posting more ways to do this in my other thread ( the one with the guide)
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20456

they will be psted soon but are much more complicated

Thanks,
Ghost_rdr

if you use msn msger you can add me to your list at ghost_rd@hotmail.com if you wanna chat about this

ghost_rdr
12-26-2002, 02:53 PM
Sorry all this was suppose to be a re[ply to another post in another thread

ghsot_rdr

captain_video
12-27-2002, 12:24 AM
ghost_rdr,

I'm curious as to how you can access individual episodes on a DVD when authored using IFOEdit. Can you jump to each episode directly or do you have to wade through the previous episodes to get to them for viewing? I've done only a litle experimentation with IFOEdit because it doesn't appear to do the things I need an authoring program to do. I'm still trying to get the complete lowdown on what it can actually do for me other than allow me to burn shows to DVDs without any bells and whistles.

defsrg
12-27-2002, 04:45 AM
i guess i didnt explain myself well, what i cant figure out how to do is , use spruce up just to edit out he commercials,not for any menus or anything, out of more than one episode of a tv show. i cannot for the life of me figure out how export more than 1 episode out of spruce up so that it exports one set of video_ts and audio_ts files. captain videos guide is great to show how to make menu buttons and author but unless im missing it i didnt see how to associate all chapters made by 2 seperate mpeg files to edit out commericals and then export them as one file to get them to IFO edit and use ghost rdr's non encoding method. ive got the whole use the flags to make chapters and i dont want to export any menus, just want to utilize my dvd disc space for more than one tv episode.

thanx
________
HOT **** (http://www.****tube.com/video/5168/a-hot-massage-turns-to-a-hot-****ing)

captain_video
12-27-2002, 10:21 AM
SpruceUp is not an editing program. You can't remove commercials with it. Chapter stops created in SpruceUp won't be recognized by IFOEdit. You can't use both programs for authoring a DVD, just one or the other. The guides gost_rdr and I generated are for two completely separate methods of authoring. You can't just mix and match the steps and expect them to work. My method allows you to add multiple episodes of a show on a single DVD and access them separately via a menu. ghost_rdr's method also allows you to add multiple episodes but I'm still in the dark as to how they are accessed individually by using IFOEdit, which was the nature of the question in my last post.

wolkowh
12-28-2002, 05:30 AM
Captain
To edit using spruce you:
1. Set your chapter points
2. Compile a title set
3. Re-Rip the title set using smart ripper only taking the program chapters
4. Demux the re-ripped VOB
5. Re-import into Spruce
6. Create CD
(This is much less work than it looks)
Howard
*Oh and it keeps perfect synch*
Howard

captain_video
12-28-2002, 05:01 PM
OK Howard, I'm intrigued. I created a title set from a 1/2-hour episode of Seinfeld and placed chapter stops at the beginning of the show and at the beginning and end of each commercial break. I downloaded a copy of SmartRipper and re-ripped the title set, selecting only the chapters containing the program and not the commercials, and generated a new VOB file.

Question: What program did you use to de-mux the re-ripped VOB file?

Hi8
12-28-2002, 07:03 PM
OK Howard, I'm intrigued. I created a title set from a 1/2-hour episode of Seinfeld and placed chapter stops at the beginning of the show and at the beginning and end of each commercial break. I downloaded a copy of SmartRipper and re-ripped the title set, selecting only the chapters containing the program and not the commercials, and generated a new VOB file.

Question: What program did you use to de-mux the re-ripped VOB file?

why would you have to re-mux and re-rip? just use IFOEdit and have it create IFOs.

then burn the new titleset

captain_video
12-28-2002, 11:57 PM
Hi8 - I think you already know my feelings about IFOEdit. I like the idea of having menus and the ability to select individual episodes on a multi-episode DVD compilation. IFOEdit can't do any of these things for me so it's not even a consideration. If I can find a way to eliminate commercials without having to transcode the video or mux it with a program that can potentially create audio sync problems, then this is my holy grail. Howard is the guy that developed the original Ty to DVD procedure using SpruceUp and DVD Maestro and he hasn't steered me wrong yet. Until IFOEdit is far enough developed that it can do the things that SpruceUp can do then I won't even consider it as a serious contender for true DVD authoring. Right now it is only a rudimentary means for creating a DVD from an extracted tystream with absolutely no extras that would make it worthwhile for my use.

Hi8
12-29-2002, 08:03 AM
Hi8 - I think you already know my feelings about IFOEdit. I like the idea of having menus and the ability to select individual episodes on a multi-episode DVD compilation. IFOEdit can't do any of these things for me so it's not even a consideration. If I can find a way to eliminate commercials without having to transcode the video or mux it with a program that can potentially create audio sync problems, then this is my holy grail. Howard is the guy that developed the original Ty to DVD procedure using SpruceUp and DVD Maestro and he hasn't steered me wrong yet. Until IFOEdit is far enough developed that it can do the things that SpruceUp can do then I won't even consider it as a serious contender for true DVD authoring. Right now it is only a rudimentary means for creating a DVD from an extracted tystream with absolutely no extras that would make it worthwhile for my use.

Ahh forgot ... well, I always weigh the pay-off , time it takes to make a DVD verses the time I actually watch it. Because I rarely watch movies more than once perhaps twice - re-muxing/encoding or what ever takes up the extra HOURS of time is just a waste of time in my opiinon. The main purpose of my burning to DVD-R(W) is time shifting. To each his own... I suppose the difference between our goals is that you intend to keep your creations, mine is the alternative to "save to VCR" only in the best format/quality possible. I suppose the Spruce-Up method creates a more professionally looking result, but it still creates a hy-brid or non-compliant DVD. The 480x480 fake-out to 720x480 to get passed compliance using DVD-Patcher is still a kludge, and creates disks that won't play on my Sony S7700 - I just couldn't imagine spending all that time to end up with a mongrel result.

<edit>

perhaps my goals will change, I just ordered a Sony 715P - after your results, as well as many glowing reviews of the player... I've be trying to find a sony that will "play-it-all" I too collect Seinfeld episodes, and am quite happy with the SVCD results I've gotten from my SA extractions... I prefer 1 episode per disc verses a muliti-episode disc, on DVD-R. I can't wait having to get away from my $cheap$ player solutions to play my TyDVDs - nothing like a Sony!

</edit>

captain_video
12-29-2002, 01:37 PM
I also burn to DVD primarily for timeshifting purposes, but mostly for movies and an occasional DTV concert. I do, however, archive several series that contain commercials that I would like to eliminate for the purpose of squeezing more episodes on a single DVD. I've already archived 178 out of 180 Seinfeld episodes so it's unlikely that I'll re-record the entire series at this point. The same goes for Babylon 5, although I'm only about half-way through that series. I recently recorded the entire Taken mini-series on the SciFi channel and it would have been nice to get more than one episode on a single DVD. I could have split up episodes to fill up the disc but I preferred to keep them intact. Editing out commercials would have allowed me to burn two episodes per disc.

My main beef about using IFOEDit is that the DVD begins playing the instant the player recognizes the disc. I prefer to have a little more control over when it actually starts playing. I created a generic menu for use with all of my movies so all I have to do is open up the template and import the movie into SpruceUp. I then create chapter stops at 10-minute intervals after setting one for the beginning of the movie itself (DTV always has a 30-second lead-in for every PPV movie before the show actually begins). I then associate the START button on the menu with chapter 2 and do a quick simulation to ensure all the chapter stops work. Total time to author the DVD with this method is only a matter of a couple of minutes before I'm ready to compile it to a title set and burn to DVD-RW.

I perform a similar procedure for multiple episodes on a single disc. I've created a master template for each series I want to archive. I only need to change the episode titles and episode numbers for each disc I'm about to burn. The best part about this method is that it allows me direct access to any individual episode on the disc. I currently get six half-hour episodes of Seinfeld on a DVD and I could get more if the commercials were cut. I also pad the beginning of the recording by 1-2 minutes to ensure nothing gets lost due to schedule differences on various channels. I could probably get 1-2 more episodes by trimming the beginnings and ends along with the commercials.

You're gonna love the new Sony 715. One of the best features I like is that it can remember where you left off on a DVD if you power down the player or even if you swap discs out before you finish watching a DVD. I'm sure other players have this feature but it also recognizes and plays 480X480 TyDVDs on DVD-R and DVD-RW without squawking.

Hi8
12-29-2002, 01:51 PM

You're gonna love the new Sony 715. One of the best features I like is that it can remember where you left off on a DVD if you power down the player or even if you swap discs out before you finish watching a DVD. I'm sure other players have this feature but it also recognizes and plays 480X480 TyDVDs on DVD-R and DVD-RW without squawking.

I'm sure I will, I'm hoping it does as well with SVCD. Do you know if it plays miniDVD? -- and how about low-cost dvd-r(w) media? (general quaility) my sony s7700 chokes on the cheap stuff, but my other players play even the .89 per disc dvd-rw's I buy from supermediastore or mertline.

I was thinking of buying the CyberHome 500 or 402, but canceled the order, just for the added miniDVD ability. But my entire main system is Sony .. including my hometheater 110" front projection LCD system.

I just don't need another $cheap$ solution - my apex,koss,nextbase players have served me well, however there is nothing quite like the intergration that a standard manufacturer solution provides. Things just work so well together.

captain_video
12-29-2002, 04:40 PM
Never tried a mini-DVD. I've been using Princo general purpose DVD-R and -RW media and the 715 like's 'em both. My first batch of DVD-R discs were no-name brand and they play fine as well.

defsrg
12-29-2002, 09:33 PM
i figured out how to get it to 2 episodes using the ghost_rdr method going to try 3 and then will post a how to....
________
Coach handbags (http://icoachhandbags.com/)

ghost_rdr
12-29-2002, 11:03 PM
ghost_rdr,

I'm curious as to how you can access individual episodes on a DVD when authored using IFOEdit. Can you jump to each episode directly or do you have to wade through the previous episodes to get to them for viewing? I've done only a litle experimentation with IFOEdit because it doesn't appear to do the things I need an authoring program to do. I'm still trying to get the complete lowdown on what it can actually do for me other than allow me to burn shows to DVDs without any bells and whistles.

hey captian_video,

when you add more than one m2v and m2a in ifoedit , yes you do have to go through the existing shows to get from one to another.

Ghost

ghost_rdr
12-29-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by defsrg
i guess i didnt explain myself well, what i cant figure out how to do is , use spruce up just to edit out he commercials,not for any menus or anything, out of more than one episode of a tv show. i cannot for the life of me figure out how export more than 1 episode out of spruce up so that it exports one set of video_ts and audio_ts files. captain videos guide is great to show how to make menu buttons and author but unless im missing it i didnt see how to associate all chapters made by 2 seperate mpeg files to edit out commericals and then export them as one file to get them to IFO edit and use ghost rdr's non encoding method. ive got the whole use the flags to make chapters and i dont want to export any menus, just want to utilize my dvd disc space for more than one tv episode.

thanx

Ok heres the scoop...lol

What your looking to do is mark you commercial points in spruceup at beg and end of commercial. then open smartripper and rip all chapters that are not commercials. that will leave you with the vob. then once you have multiple vob files from diff episodes you can join them by folowwing this guide for vobedit (which you can download from here also)
http://ifoedit.wh.fr0zen.com/joinclip.html

then open joined vob in ifoedit and create new ifo and burn

if you have problems msg me at ghost_rdr@hotmail.com via email or msn messenger

Ghost

Ghost

captain_video
12-29-2002, 11:22 PM
Ouch. That sucks. One more reason not to go with IFOEdit over SpruceUp.

ghost_rdr
12-29-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by wolkowh
Captain
To edit using spruce you:
1. Set your chapter points
2. Compile a title set
3. Re-Rip the title set using smart ripper only taking the program chapters
4. Demux the re-ripped VOB
5. Re-import into Spruce
6. Create CD
(This is much less work than it looks)
Howard
*Oh and it keeps perfect synch*
Howard

I am curious also, what are you using to demux the vob and can you post instructions for that

how long does that step take also

Ghost

defsrg
12-30-2002, 12:20 AM
thanx ghost thats just what i figured out, you just saved me the time of posting a how to. i also would like to know what howard used to demux his files so to make an attempt at a menu. as far as "sucking", i guess to each his own "captain". if your just looking to get your m2v's to dvd video with no encoding then this is definately a good option as far as your taste for menus and things well then i guess how you do things is fine also if thats what you want to do but like i said to each his own

________
Ford galaxie history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Galaxie)

ghost_rdr
12-30-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by defsrg
thanx ghost thats just what i figured out, you just saved me the time of posting a how to. i also would like to know what howard used to demux his files so to make an attempt at a menu.

me too. lol

hey if you online now im in a room called #tivo on irc on irc.uicn.net.

stop on in

ghost

captain_video
12-30-2002, 12:42 AM
Howard informed me that he was using TMPGEnc for de-muxing the vob file. I tried it but I am unable to get the audio file to import back into SpruceUp. TMPGEnc de-muxes the vob file into m2v and mp2 files. Use the MPEG Tools option in the File pull-down menu in TMPGEnc. I had to patch the m2v file to 720X480 in order to import it again but that's to be expected. I've tried renaming the audio file with m2a, mpa, and ac3 extensions and I end up getting a media detection error and still no audio gets imported. Howard is checking into this for me so hopefully he'll get it resolved sometime soon.

It takes a fair amount of time to go through the entire process because you have to import it into SpruceUp, author it and set chapter stops, save and compile to a title set, re-rip the file in Smart Ripper after selecting which chapters to keep, de-mux it in TMPGEnc, re-import it into SpruceUp, author the final product, recompile it and finally burn it to DVD. So basically you end up importing, authoring, and compiling the project twice plus it has to be re-ripped and de-muxed in between. It takes about the same amount of time to re-rip and de-mux as it does to compile the project so figure your total time is about 2-1/2 to 3 times as long as a typical one-pass authoring project in SpruceUp. It's not all that much work but it is time consuming.

ghost_rdr
12-30-2002, 12:46 AM
Howard informed me that he was using TMPGEnc for de-muxing the vob file. I tried it but I am unable to get the audio file to import back into SpruceUp. TMPGEnc de-muxes the vob file into m2v and mp2 files. Use the MPEG Tools option in the File pull-down menu in TMPGEnc. I had to patch the m2v file to 720X480 in order to import it again but that's to be expected. I've tried renaming the audio file with m2a, mpa, and ac3 extensions and I end up getting a media detection error and still no audio gets imported. Howard is checking into this for me so hopefully he'll get it resolved sometime soon.

It takes a fair amount of time to go through the entire process because you have to import it into SpruceUp, author it and set chapter stops, save and compile to a title set, re-rip the file in Smart Ripper after selecting which chapters to keep, de-mux it in TMPGEnc, re-import it into SpruceUp, author the final product, recompile it and finally burn it to DVD. So basically you end up importing, authoring, and compiling the project twice plus it has to be re-ripped and de-muxed in between. It takes about the same amount of time to re-rip and de-mux as it does to compile the project so figure your total time is about 2-1/2 to 3 times as long as a typical one-pass authoring project in SpruceUp. It's not all that much work but it is time consuming.
\

cool...yeah i noticed that...but I like the idea of it...the time issue is not a prob cause im gonna use this for making my archive of all simpsons episodes. so I dont mind spending the time.. I tried using the vobedit to demux and tmpenc. but still I had same prob as you.

Thanks for update though...and If you hear anything please keep me posted

Ghost

wolkowh
12-30-2002, 01:11 AM
Hi there,
I am not getting the audio problem I'm using:
SmartRipper and an older version of TyTool (3?)

Thing to check - Can you play the audio in Winamp?

Question - Are you using digital audio? I don't use DD

Howard

ghost_rdr
12-30-2002, 01:19 AM
Hi there,
I am not getting the audio problem I'm using:
SmartRipper and an older version of TyTool (3?)

Thing to check - Can you play the audio in Winamp?

Question - Are you using digital audio? I don't use DD

Howard

so your using smartripper to rip the chapters right? then using tmpeg simple dmux on the vob and re-import it back into spruceup?

just checking
Ghost

ghost_rdr
12-30-2002, 01:26 AM
I can play in winamp also

ghost

wolkowh
12-30-2002, 01:41 AM
Exactly, I don't know what's up with the audio problems you guys are having - Is this error occuring right at the beginning? why don't you try an experiment -

1. Rip it whole without chapter skipping - does it work?
2. Make a 1 second chapter of the beginning of the stream and include it on your rip - perhaps there is a header you are not getting

Howard

ghost_rdr
12-30-2002, 02:03 AM
Exactly, I don't know what's up with the audio problems you guys are having - Is this error occuring right at the beginning? why don't you try an experiment -

2. Make a 1 second chapter of the beginning of the stream and include it on your rip - perhaps there is a header you are not getting

Howard

when i import the files back into spruceup after using dvd patcher for the resolution. and it crashes then changeing rez back to 480 then inserting into spruceup again...im not getting a error...im just not getting any audio...its not attaching the audio to the video file. my video imports fine but no audio...and no error

ghost

wolkowh
12-30-2002, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by ghost_rdr
when i import the files back into spruceup after using dvd patcher for the resolution. and it crashes then changeing rez back to 480 then inserting into spruceup again...im not getting a error...im just not getting any audio...its not attaching the audio to the video file. my video imports fine but no audio...and no error

ghost
Make sure it has the EXACT same filename and an extension of .m2a
Howard

ghost_rdr
12-30-2002, 02:13 AM
Make sure it has the EXACT same filename and an extension of .m2a
Howard

what version of tmpenc are you using..cause my output is a .mp2 file. and can you attach your version of tmpenc to the post so i can download it .

thanks
ghost

ghost_rdr
12-30-2002, 02:15 AM
never mind i changed extention from .mp2 to .m2a and it worked

Thanks man,

Ghost

ghost_rdr
12-30-2002, 03:17 AM
what version of tmpenc are you using..cause my output is a .mp2 file. and can you attach your version of tmpenc to the post so i can download it .

thanks
ghost

actually its not working .

Can you do the above?

Thanks,
Ghost_rdr

captain_video
12-30-2002, 09:05 AM
I've tried renaming the extension to m2a and I get a media detection error once the m2v file has finished importing. I'm using TyTool5 and TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 version 2.55.38.142.

wolkowh
12-30-2002, 09:34 AM

Howard

ghost_rdr
12-31-2002, 12:02 AM
With the one second chapter it works fine...no media error...capt video try this out..it works

Hey thanks man

Ghost

captain_video
12-31-2002, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the tip and the feedback. Been busy today so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Just got back from seeing The Two Towers (totally awesome flick; even better than the 1st one). I've been going nuts just trying to get a clean extraction without GOP faults for the last three days. I even tried using IFOEdit but there were too many errors in the tystream for it to burn without eventually losing audio sync somewhere during the show. Dave has been hashing the heck out of the datastream and its been wreaking havoc on my test cards. Good thing I have legit subs for most of my viewing but there were a couple of PPVs I've been trying to get to put on DVD.

wolkowh
12-31-2002, 01:55 AM
With the one second chapter it works fine...no media error...capt video try this out..it works

Hey thanks man

Ghost

Well, this is kool, I'm glad to be of help. I guess we can stand a second of overhead to cut out commercials

Howard

captain_video
12-31-2002, 12:22 PM
I tried the 1-second chapter at the beginning at I was able to re-import the m2v file as well as the mp2 file (renamed to m2a) back into SpruceUp. I'm still stuck with a short segment of commercial or lead-in video at the beginning of the show but that can be remedied by adding a new chapter stop at the beginning of the program material. Thanks to Howard for another great idea! Perhaps not the best solution to editing since SpruceUp doesn't give you finite control over where you insert chapter stops. Has anyone tried doing this in DVD Maestro for setting the initial chapter stops and then use SpruceUp for the final product? It seems to me that Maestro should allow you to be more exact in setting the initial chapter points. Once that's done, SpruceUp should be fine for the final compilation.

hom3l3ss
01-06-2003, 01:21 AM
I tried to edit the commercial using "wolkowh" method, I did a 1 hour show, and it gave me 2 .vob files... I successfuly demuxed the first vob file, but the second one, it kept on saying illegal mpeg2 stream (placed a .m2v extension on the end of the file), am I supposed to combine the 2 vob files and then dmuxed it ? or how do u do it?

hom3l3ss
01-06-2003, 01:34 AM
i got it, thanks anywayz

ghost_rdr
01-06-2003, 01:57 PM
I tried the 1-second chapter at the beginning at I was able to re-import the m2v file as well as the mp2 file (renamed to m2a) back into SpruceUp. I'm still stuck with a short segment of commercial or lead-in video at the beginning of the show but that can be remedied by adding a new chapter stop at the beginning of the program material. Thanks to Howard for another great idea! Perhaps not the best solution to editing since SpruceUp doesn't give you finite control over where you insert chapter stops. Has anyone tried doing this in DVD Maestro for setting the initial chapter stops and then use SpruceUp for the final product? It seems to me that Maestro should allow you to be more exact in setting the initial chapter points. Once that's done, SpruceUp should be fine for the final compilation.

all you need to do is create a chapter point for that first 2-3 seconds then start video at the chapter 2

Ghost

wolkowh
01-07-2003, 10:04 AM
My Solution to the multiple VOB problem:
I use SmartRipper, and on the options screen tell it to not spit the VOB at all. This way its only 1 vob file, and I get no problems with video and audio formats.
Howard