PDA

View Full Version : Sony WT60 or RCADWD490?

badbob
12-27-2002, 11:01 PM
I'm wanting to get into the Ulimate TV thing.
If I buy the Sony do I have to modify it? Or any receiver with Tivo has to be modified?
But if I buy the RCA I can use my "HU" card with no mods?

mrblack51
12-28-2002, 01:57 AM
version 3.5 and below supports HU cards by default. 3.7 and above supports only P4 cards.

i believe that the UTVs are similar to the Dtivos in that all are internally the same. I could be wrong though.

jme
12-28-2002, 02:36 AM
mrblack51 is correct, both the sony & rca utv receivers are the same internally, so differences between the brands are pretty much, which remote do you prefer? i have only seen inside the box on two brands of dtivos and based on that the dtivo's are also cookie cutter identical inside the case.. all apparently designed by webtv + licensed to various manufacturers. the software version will determine whether the receiver supports hu or p4 cards.

headache
01-16-2003, 02:55 PM
I have 2 pieces of each models and all I can tell you that is depend on your system. Internally they are exactly the same. Remote and External are different ONLY. If you preferred to have everything in BLACK color system then RCA is the go. If you have the system that are in silver then the SONY is the go. However, the RCA remote can control more of other devices versus the SONY is very less. In the end the SONY is a better quality and is a little bit thicker and heavier. However, my living room is black color and therefore I use RCA and my own bedroom and I mix of both and therefore I used SONY. The reason I have both boxes of each because I can switch and have the movie record into my computer and burn to DVD.....What a hack; huh!

UTVnut
01-17-2003, 05:41 PM
According to posters on AVS Forum there are actually a few differences. According to them, the IDE cable is slightly different. It is also rumored that the RCA DWD490RE has heatsinks while the Sony does not. I can not confirm these since I have not opened my the case to either one of my UTVs.

These differences I can confirm:
The RCA DWD490RE allows you to have 2 of them in the same room. One responding to the DirecTV device on the remote and the other responding to the AUX device. This is a software difference, not hardware. Also, the Sony comes with a keyboard while the RCA does not. You need to buy it separately.

UTVnut