PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use a Sony DVP-NS315 ?

nilknarf
12-28-2002, 01:45 PM
I am looking for a DVD player that will play my tyDVDs at 480x480 resolution. I know the Sony DVP-700P and DVP-NS715P both will work, but I can get the DVP-NS315 for about $65 less. Can anyone out there verify if that player will work for DVD-R and DVD+RW tyDVD's at 480x480?

Edit: After more research, I'm also considering the Sony DVD changer, DVD-NC655P. That way I could replace my CD chager and DVD player at the same time.

captain_video
12-28-2002, 03:23 PM
I can't say for sure but I think I tested either a 300 or 315 Sony when I was doing my hands-on tests with TyDVDs. I'm pretty sure the 315 will work with them since it probably has the same laser pickup assy as the 715, which I own. If you're not sure, take a disk with you to your local Circuit City and try one out. Best Buy also sells them but they rarely have any connected to a TV in order for you to check them out. You might even try WalMart or Target. I tested every model WalMart carried at the time but I had to carry each one from one side of the department over to where the TVs were and hook each one up to a TV so I could test them. I checked with the salesperson first and told him what I wanted to do and he said go for it so I did.

nilknarf
01-07-2003, 10:51 PM
I ended up getting the Sony DVD changer, DVD-NC655P from hifi.com. Just tested it and it plays tydvds on DVD-R and DVD+RW beautifully.

laserfan
01-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Yes, I have one, and I'm very happy with it. However you will find that you have to obey some specs pretty much to the letter. Examples:

- It does not like 32kHz audio (maybe you have a DTivo and it records at 48kHz)

- With SVCDs it does not like higher bitrates much over the spec (I think mine stuttered around 3 or 3.5 Mbps

But it does a nice job even w/VCDs such that they are almost watchable! Nice player...congratulations.