PDA

View Full Version : What is the advantage of using IFO Edit over Spruce?

wolkowh
12-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Hi there,
I am trying to figure out what the advantages are using IFO edit over spruce to author DVDs - the 1 I can think of is GOP errors might get skipped over, any others? I can author a DVD in about 5 min now in Spruce so....

My List so Far
+ IFO
-------
GOP Errors might be authorable
Use Celltimes to create chapters real quickly
No need to import before author

- IFO
------
No Menus

+ Spruce Up
---------------
Easy to Make Menus

- Spruce Up
---------------
Have to import files first - GOP Errors
Have to find the files to make it all work
Company is out of business, no support

captain_video
01-01-2003, 12:55 AM
I've been authoring DVDs over the past week using both SpruceUp and IFOEdit and here's what I've found.

SpruceUp will give you a more professional result with menus and buttons. The importing and compiling steps don't seem to take much longer than IFOEdit when it comes to muxing and generating VOB files. Authoring in SpruceUp is pretty fast, especially if you've got some templates made up ahead of time. The main problem I've experienced with SpruceUp is if the split tystream has GOP errors then it simply will not import.

IFOEdit is a no frills authoring tool that allows you to process the m2a and m2v files from a split tystream directly without importing them first to generate preview files. The downside of using IFOEdit is that you cannot set up menus for accessing multiple shows directly when burning several shows to a single DVD. The upside is that it will process split tystreams even if they have GOP errors in them. This is not true in every case as I have had numerous recordings of late riddled with GOP faults and other errors that have resulted in loss of audio sync when importing the split tystream directly, sometimes off by over a minute or more.

If you don't care about whether or not your DVDs play automatically with no menu functions and you just want to slap a couple of programs onto a DVD without any fuss, then IFOEdit is for you. However, if you would like to be able to start your movies when you command them to start and you would like to be able to burn multiple shows on a single DVD with direct access capability, then SpruceUp is the clear winner.

Howard, as you know (since you're the one that provided the tip) it is now possible to do a rough edit of a split tystream using SpruceUp, Smart Ripper, and TMPGEnc to cut commercials or extraneous footage from any video clips. I'm sure that this can also be accomplished using IFOEdit but I haven't figured out how to set the chapter stops to the exact point in the clip to mark the in and out points of a commercial. I think this may have been covered in another post but I haven't had a chance to go back and check it out yet.

Chainsaw76
01-02-2003, 11:08 AM
In Spruce up how does one get past the GOB errors? I spent 8 hrs yesterday. Trying to get a DVD with menus made from a 30 minute program.

Edited it with m2 edit pro 5..

tries to create the file from spruce up.. and got nothing but GOB errors.

-Jason

Fugg
01-02-2003, 11:28 AM
I use jdiner's newest tools to get the mpa/mpv files,
i'm able to use tmpegenc to mux, edit, then demux the files,
patch using dvdpatcher to patch the first header in each mpv file to 720x480,
import to spruce , let spruce crash,
patch the first header in each mpv file using dvdpatcher back to 480x480,
start spruce, import the mpv's again,
build menus,
build image,
then burn!

no problems so far.

!!!

edit
woops!
forgot to answer the orig question!

the q :
"What is the advantage of using Spruce over IFO Edit?"

...to me, it's down to one thing:

Menus!

:)

captain_video
01-02-2003, 01:57 PM
In Spruce up how does one get past the GOB errors?

You don't. A GOP error is generally caused by a corrupted tystream. There are probably brief segments of extreme pixelisation or blackouts that are causing this. You might try importing the m2a and m2v files into IFOEdit as it may be more forgiving of some of these types of errors. I was able to import a movie into IFOEdit that would not import into SpruceUp due to a GOP fault. I also had numerous other movies that I was unable to import into either program. If you're using a test card then you are probably experiencing the results of the continuous hashing of the datastream from DTV. I experienced the same thing and it drove me nuts for days until I got the right combination of elements to circumvent it. This is not a topic for further discussion here so I'll leave it at that.