PDA

View Full Version : Extracting directly on a PC

bato
01-03-2003, 09:25 AM
My dtivo just got into a reboot loop, it only display video for about 5 minutes then reboot or freeze.

Is there a way to extract some of the shows I have in that hard drive directly if I connect it to a PC?

Thanks.

captain_video
01-03-2003, 08:56 PM
I remember seeing this discussed in a thread quite a while back. Try running a search for it. It's a real pain in the ass to do it but it is possible.

bato
01-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks captain, I'm testing something in hopes that I stop the reboot to be able to extract the video with tytool.

zabs
01-04-2003, 01:59 AM
I saw someone with a similar situation and it was suggested that the 30 min buffer was hitting a bad spot on a hard disk...so you could try turning the channel on the tivo to a channel you don't have. ie. zero (Dont forget to change both tuners if you have dual tuners activated, I use 0 and 1 when I go to bed at night...saving on wear and tear on my hard drives...at least I tell myself that so I can sleep better. :) )

AlphaWolf
01-04-2003, 02:37 AM
right when you get bash, send "switcherstart -k", it will prevent tivoapp from running and you can do whatever you need to without the reboots.

bato
01-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Thanks AlphaWolf great information as always.

hwhx0r
01-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Attached is the instruction I found. You can ignore the cvs and compile part of the instruction. Just boot to Linux command line -- linux repair or install boot floppy/cd is sufficient. Mount the partition that you want to extract to. Then use the mfs_export.i386 executable that came with the extraction package.

lmurray
01-05-2003, 03:44 PM
AlphaWolfs instructions LIVE !!!

:)

-lloyd-

bato
01-11-2003, 06:54 PM
I selected clear program data and todo list, now it reboot and I can't stop the process.

Anyone know how I can stop this? I don't get a bash prompt, I'll never select that option again.