PDA

View Full Version : 6 hour recording ???

zabs
01-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Ok. Call me a barbarian, but I was thinking about ordering the 6 hour UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) New Year's Eve special on the tivo and extracting it.

Some questions:

Will MFS handle a 6 hour recording? Will the file size become to great? I know it can handle Lord of the Rings (extended version at 3hrs 35 mins.)

By my estimation the file size would be over 6 gigs in size. Would I even be able to drop this on a Fat32 drive? Isn't there a 4 gig file size limit?

I suppose I could manually break the recording up into 2 - 3hr segments or 3 - 2hr segments if I had to. I know I'll have to split it to get it on to DVD anyway, but I was hoping to do that after the capture to save on the head aches.

captain_video
01-03-2003, 09:44 AM
A FAT32 file system will definitely NOT be able to handle a file that size. You've got several options available.

1) Record the entire 6-hour show as a single tystream but extract it in parts by selecting groups of fsids. Each fsid should be about 512MB so you should be able to extract about 8 of them to fit on a DVD (9 fsids would be pushing it because you actually have only about 4.36GB to work with on the DVD). You can also specify the number of chunks for extraction but that would require extracting the entire file first to see how many chunks it contains.

2) Manually record the event as two separate 3-hour shows. A TyDVD will accommodate slightly more than 3 hours of video.

zabs
01-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Ahh! I never even thought about the "Get parts" feature. Thanks Cap'n!! :D