PDA

View Full Version : spruce questions

rellis
01-04-2003, 02:24 AM
I guess the first thing i want to say is thanks for all the great poasts. Reading through the forum I must say i learned alot.

I have 2 questions regarding spruce however. The first is a dvdpatcher issue. I load up my .m2v, tell it to use a 3.5mb bit rate, patch the first header only, then patch it at 720 by 480. load it into spruce, get booted out and it generates a prv file. Everything good thus far. However when i use all the same settings to patch it back to 480 by 480, spruce spits it out, and crashes. The only way it will take it is if i patch it at 352 by 480. Any ideas?

The second question is how does one combine audio and video within spruce. I looked around for awhile and couldnt find a way to do it. I see on the board that people have documented that you could, but i cant seem to find a way, yet :)

Running a full version of spruce 1.1
dvdpatcher 1.05b
winxp pro
sa tivo

Thanks
Ryan

Hi8
01-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by rellis
I guess the first thing i want to say is thanks for all the great poasts. Reading through the forum I must say i learned alot.

I have 2 questions regarding spruce however. The first is a dvdpatcher issue. I load up my .m2v, tell it to use a 3.5mb bit rate, patch the first header only, then patch it at 720 by 480. load it into spruce, get booted out and it generates a prv file. Everything good thus far. However when i use all the same settings to patch it back to 480 by 480, spruce spits it out, and crashes. The only way it will take it is if i patch it at 352 by 480. Any ideas?

The second question is how does one combine audio and video within spruce. I looked around for awhile and couldnt find a way to do it. I see on the board that people have documented that you could, but i cant seem to find a way, yet :)

Running a full version of spruce 1.1
dvdpatcher 1.05b
winxp pro

Thanks
Ryan

if you rename the audio file (.m2a) extension to (.wav) Spruce-Up will automatically import the audio file after it completes the .m2v file import.

captain_video
01-04-2003, 09:51 AM
You don't need to rename the m2a file for SpruceUp to import it. You select the m2v file for importing after patching the header. SpruceUp processes the complete m2v file and then processes the m2a file automatically. I would suggest trying a different bit rate for patching the 1st header. I've never had a problem using either the 8MBit or 15MBit rates for patching (never tried it with the 3.5MBit rate).

rellis
01-04-2003, 03:52 PM
I notice now the the original mv2 stream is 352x480 so patching it to 720 then to 480 does me little good because the file is still 352 horizonal. Which brings me to the question which setting for tivo's recording quality brings you to this 480x480 resolution. I notice alot of talk about people trying to change their bitrates in tivo web, is this needed....and i guess lastly, this maybe dumb, but if through tivo web, the bit rate can be changed, couldnt you just tell the tivo to record 720x480 and not have to deal with patching things.

Thanks
Ryan

wolkowh
01-04-2003, 09:01 PM
Dude - are you using S/A or DirecTivo?
H

Originally posted by rellis
I notice now the the original mv2 stream is 352x480 so patching it to 720 then to 480 does me little good because the file is still 352 horizonal. Which brings me to the question which setting for tivo's recording quality brings you to this 480x480 resolution. I notice alot of talk about people trying to change their bitrates in tivo web, is this needed....and i guess lastly, this maybe dumb, but if through tivo web, the bit rate can be changed, couldnt you just tell the tivo to record 720x480 and not have to deal with patching things.

Thanks
Ryan

captain_video
01-04-2003, 11:51 PM
That very same question just occurred to me after rereading the original post. I believe a SA Tivo generates a 352X480 resolution. If this is the case, then I don't think you need to do any patching of the 1st header to import the m2v file into SpruceUp as 352X480 is a DVD-compliant resolution, if I'm not mistaken. The patching scenario is only necessary on a DTivo tystream if I remember correctly.

rellis
01-05-2003, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the help on the video end...i do have a sa tivo, i guess i should have said something sooner, and spruce will take the 352x480 files like a champ. Would there be any advantage to screwing around with this resolution in tivo web to go 480x480, or 720x480? And for that matter will my tivo record in this manor (352x480) regardless of best, medium, etc settings if not changed in tivoweb?

No matter what i do i still can not get spruce to load up that audio. Even by not patching things now, when it loads the video it still loads with no audio. I tried changing the extentions to .ac3 and .wav as suggested but no luck. The m2a file plays in winamp and is 192kbps 32khz. Any sugestions on that end?

You guys are the best, thanks again
Ryan

captain_video
01-05-2003, 02:41 PM
I think SA Tivo audio has to be upconverted to 48KHz sampling rate for it to import into SpruceUp. 32KHz is definitely not DVD-compliant. I've never done any extraction or authoring from a SA Tivo so I'm not up to speed on all of the subtle differences between formats. I'm sure there has to be a few posts either here or in the DirecTV Tivo Hacking forum about converting the audio from a SA Tivo so it can be imported for DVD authoring.

Wes
01-06-2003, 01:30 PM
SpruceUp automatically take the audio part in as long as the filename is the same and the extension is .m2a, .wav, or ac3, and may be more. I have only tried with those. HOWEVER, the audio has to be in 48Khz. Just use TMPEGenc or tooLame to upconvert the audio.