PDA

View Full Version : Can you run TYTool through your serial port?

JRoss
01-05-2003, 01:55 AM
Yeah I know it would take forever, but I don't have Turbonet and I want to experiment with it.

I tried putting COM1 in the address box, running tserver_mfs5, closing Tera Term and then trying to refresh the TyTools screen.

no dice. Is there anything out there I can use to get the same data stream via the serial port?

milenko
01-05-2003, 10:36 AM
You can't use TyTool over a serial with a standard bash prompt. You can, however use it with PPPOS (PPP over serial), which will emulate (sorta) tivonet over the serial link. What happens is that your tivo will use the serial port as a network adapter and will allow you to access your tivo via TCP/IP, which tytool requires.

Check out this link to get started: http://black-widow000.150m.com/TiVo-PPP/index.htm

I just embarked on this project a couple days ago and have it working without a hitch, it's not hard but it does require some reading.

To confirm what you said, it WILL take forever to do anything. I estimate it would take the better part of a day just to dump a 30 min show over the serial link at 115200. I dumped a small 30 second recording and it took about a half an hour to transfer.

JRoss
01-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Thanks for getting pointing me in the right direction milenko. I just knew there had to be a way.

I'm going to get started with my reading right now.