PDA

View Full Version : ifo/vobs to menu-ed DVD

nikm
01-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Hello,
I've successfully gotten IFO/VOBs of some shows with commercials edited out using

vsplit13 (split ty to m2v and mp2)
tmpgenc (create mpeg)
dvdpatcher (set to 720x480)
spruceup (import, then exit or crash)
dvdpatcher (set to 480x480)
spruceup (import again, no crash, set chapters on commercial start and end)
smartripper (export only non-commercials)
ifoedit (create ifo)

then in ifoedit, I can play the separate shows fine, but I do not know how to import those into spruceup to add them to a menu.

Do I need to convert them back to an MPEG???

thanks!

Fugg
01-06-2003, 09:00 PM
have you tried it this way?

vsplit13 (split ty to m2v and mp2)
tmpgenc (create mpeg)simple multiplex
tmpgenc (edit mpeg)merge&cut
tmpgenc (split mpeg into m2v and mp2)simple de-multiplex
dvdpatcher (set m2v to 720x480)
dvdpatcher (set m2v to 480x480)
spruceup (import again, no crash, set chapters on commercial start and end, or wherever you want, if you've edited them w/tmpgenc)
spruceup (export disk image)
dvd burner program of your choice (burn dvd)

captain_video
01-06-2003, 09:15 PM
Or this way:

tytool using vsplit extraction (split to m2a and m2v on the fly; faster than doing vsplit separately)
dvdpatcher (set m2v to 720X480)
spruceup/DVD maestro (import, then exit or crash)
dvdpatcher (m2v back to 480X480)
spruceup/DVD maestro (re-import, set chapter stops, and write to a title set; spruceup is accurate to within 1-second; maestro is frame-accurate for cleaner edit points)
smart ripper (re-rip only the chapters you want to keep; make sure you keep at least a 1-second chapter at the beginning to retain header info)
tmpgenc (simple de-mux to m2v and mpa; rename mpa to m2v)
dvdpatcher (m2v to 720X480)
dvdpatcher (m2v back to 480X480)
spruceup (re-import, author with menus and chapter stops, as desired; write to title set for burning with Nero or other program)

No loss of audio sync or picture quality and you can include menus with buttons; you can also include multiple episodes on a single DVD. It looks time-consuming and it is, to an extent, but provides greater flexibility and a more polished final product than ifoedit. Using DVD Patcher only takes a couple of seconds for each use so these steps are almost negligible. Importing, compiling, re-ripping, and de-muxing are where the long steps occur. The TMPGEnc method is probably a little faster but I can't vouch for the accuracy of edits performed using TMPGEnc (I've heard it's rather hit and miss).

Fugg
01-06-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
... The TMPGEnc method is probably a little faster but I can't vouch for the accuracy of edits performed using TMPGEnc (I've heard it's rather hit and miss).
on dtivo files, I'm about +/- one half of a second.
on sa basics, all but dead nuts on the mark.
(cuts on gop's)

captain_video
01-06-2003, 11:18 PM
on dtivo files, I'm about +/- one half of a second.

on sa basics, all but dead nuts on the mark.

That's actually not too bad and about the best I can get with SpruceUp. I didn't think anyone actually used basic quality for recording, especially with hard drives being dirt cheap these days. Why settle for crap when you can have the best?

Fugg
01-06-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
... I didn't think anyone actually used basic quality for recording, ... Why settle for crap when you can have the best?
When I first got extraction going on my dtivo, I gave my old sa to my sister (I still pay the sub...family, what can I say..);).
I had a tivonet setup in there with jdiners tools installed. I told her that she could get the videos off to her computer and she's been hard at it ever since.

I've asked her that same question. Her reply:

"Crap? What do you mean crap???!?"
...she points to a half a dozen vhs tape storage drawers and says,
"You wanna see crap? Look at some of those! My disks look Great!!!

guess it's one of those "eye of the beholder" things......

:)