PDA

View Full Version : Extracting 2GB+ ty files from an SA (without TyTool)

mushInSpace
01-07-2003, 11:51 AM
I have been chasing myself in circles trying to figure this out.

I have a SA TiVo with a TurboNet adapter, and I *can* get ty files off of it via sendstream, mfs_stream_with_pri1, and TyTool.

The problem is that only TyTool has been able to successfully pull a >2GB ty stream!

I am trying to slurp the stream files to a linux box w/o the manual Windows steps, so even running TyTool under WINE isn't really what I want to do (i.e. want automation).

I have checked my linux box, and am able to create files larger than 2GB by hand, and also through nc, so I don't suspect the problem is on the linux side. My only guess at this point is that the TiVo freaks out when writing past 2GB.

My current workaround idea was to create each FSID in it's own file and "cat" them together, but I am unsure if this will result in a valid tystream.

Can anyone clarify for me if that process will result in a valid ty stream file, and/or how TyTool manages to accomplish this??

Thanks!

artships
01-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by mushInSpace
My only guess at this point is that the TiVo freaks out when writing past 2GB.

Tivo couldn't care less about where a file is going. You're trying to save the file on a FAT-16 Windows disk or a Linux file systems disk that doesn't support big files (not being a Linux guy I can't tell you which fs does this).

My current workaround idea was to create each FSID in it's own file and "cat" them together, but I am unsure if this will result in a valid tystream.

It will result in tystreams that can be cat'ed together just fine. There's housekeeping or non-video and non-audio stuff between each FSID - vsplit strips it out - so it doesn't matter if your tystream has one such section or dozens.

lmurray
01-07-2003, 05:12 PM
if you entend to goto linux, why not use an nfs mount, and run mfs_export ?

Or for that matter, use the mfs_stream module for tivoweb?

just a thought.
-lloyd-