PDA

View Full Version : Intimidated Newbie!

Fleegle
01-08-2003, 12:53 AM
I'm a long time DTiVo user, but I JUST recently installed a TiVoNet card in my unit. I've got everything working except video extraction. I was directed here for that. All I can say is Wow! I've just spent the last 2 hours reading through the posts here, and I'm very confused about how to get this done. There seems to be no less than 4 ways to get the shows off of my TiVo and onto my PC. I have NO idea where to begin here...

Has anyone created a beginer's guide to video extraction? If there are guides that are specfic to models, I have a Hughes GXCEB0TD DirecTiVo.

Disconnect
01-08-2003, 01:22 PM
I don't have a single howto, but I can point you in the right directions.

Start by getting a bash prompt and telnet running (if you haven't already).

Then install one of the noscramble patches or modules (if you have existing recordings you want to save do a search for autoscramble; you can't extract existing scrambled recordings, but autoscramble will let you play them and all new recordings will be unscrambled.)

Finally, decide how you want to extract. Since you have a turbonet, you can discount the "local pc extraction" (pull the drives and extract it on a desktop). So there are several options - what I use (over serial, so its very slow) is the mfs_queue_extract tivoweb module (to an NFS directory on the ultrasparc.) With a nic thats not necessarily the best option.

Once you've gotten a show extracted, you'll have a tystream; not particularly useful by itself (although there are ways to reinsert them..) but its basically a modified mpeg.

Grab a demuxer (tydemux or vsplit - I usually use tydemux for most recordings, and vsplit13 when there are issues with sync/etc). Once its demuxed you've got an audio file and a video file, so you need to use an mpeg multiplexer (mplex and tcmplex are the ones for linux; not sure whats out for windows) to turn those files into a single mpeg.

Once thats done its technically extracted, but its gonna be big (1g per hour, very roughly) so you might hit it with a converter to turn it into something smaller (transcode or mencoder for linux, tcmplex for windows)

OK so thats a bit more than a general 'look here' and a bit less than a howto, but enjoy ;)

wfg97079
01-10-2003, 11:32 AM
As a fellow newbie, let me say that most steps are very easy. The one sticking point i have had is Sync. I have tried just about every how to I can find and still cant sync!

MrBassMan
01-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by wfg97079
As a fellow newbie, let me say that most steps are very easy. The one sticking point i have had is Sync. I have tried just about every how to I can find and still cant sync!

Watch the two sticky threads by Olaf and jdiner both these guys are independently working on solutions, both claim to have solved the problems and both are close to releasing new versions of their programs.

Fleegle
01-11-2003, 12:55 AM
One question I have about the Noscramble and Autoscramble... It seems that if I install noscramble, none of my current recordings will play anymore, but if I install Autoscramble, I can still play recorded shows and any new recordings will be unscrambled. Is that right?

Fleegle
01-13-2003, 06:17 PM
As a follow-up to this, I think that part of my confusion is because I've never done any kind of video editing on ym PC before, so I have no idea what Mux or tystream means. When I read these threads, I feel like I've just jumped into the middle of a conversation. Does nobody have any kind of primer to help me understand the basics of what needs to be done? I know JUST enough Linux to be able to navigate arount a BASH prompt and follow instructions, but when it comes to figuring out how to run programs and write and execute scripts, I'm totally lost.

Torg
01-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Mux is a term meaning to mix together.

The stream you pull from the Tivo is a modified mpeg2 stream. It contains Video and Audio streams (sometimes more then one audio). Its its raw form it is usualy a program_numbers.ty file. It is for this reason people call it a ty stream. It is just a term for the tivo stream in its native format.

What you want to do is install tivoweb on your tivo box. Since you already have the network card this is probably already done. If not folow the thread on tivoweb. It is a web server for your Tivo.

You will now need to modify tivonet slightly. There is a nice program already to do that called tytool. You will find it and how to use it in a sticky thread in this forum.

Once you have learnd how to extract stremas you can begin the process of converting them. Keep in mind this is somethign that takes hours of time, litteraly. This is what you need to do:

1) Extract the tivo stream (ty stream) to your PC.
2) Use tydemux to demux (the opposite of mux) it into a video and audio stream.
3) Use video editing software (TMpeg is a common choice) to put those back together (mux them) and convert them to somethign smaller (usualy mpeg1 VCD).

Yazhol
01-15-2003, 11:19 AM
Going on your suggestion I've downloaded TMpeg, nice little program that's easy to use. However it doesn't support m2v or m2a files that tystream/vsplit output. Do these need to be renamed to work?

zabs
01-15-2003, 12:28 PM
It should support the video *.m2v (after you install a mpg2 codec or dvd player on your computer.)
It doesn't recognize the *.m2a as an audio file, but if you open it anyway, it handles it.

Torg
01-15-2003, 12:34 PM
TPMEGenc will decode mpeg2 fine, *IF* you have the proper codecs. Depending on where you got the program you may or may not have the right codec (it actuly sounds like you do not). What you need are mpeg2 codecs.

I usualy dont other poeple websites but this actuly had some good help files on it. Go to
http://www.vcdhelp.com/tools.htm

From there you can find mand of the programs you need as well as tutorials on how to make things like VCDs with your burner software (I will guess your end result is a VCD). IN any case look arround there (and no I am not assocated with them).

randomengineer
01-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks Torg, that was the info I was looking for too! Once I installed the free mpeg codec, everything worked great. The only problem is that it's only good for 30 days. I'm hoping that my ATI DVD player CD might substitute for the free codec.