PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV charging for TIVO service is wrong!

sellenoff
01-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Just wanted to see if other people feel the same way I do about this. While $5/month is a "fairly" reasonable fee to charge me to use my $300 Direct Tivo device, I fail to see how they can justify this cost. What services are they providing me, that were not provided before? NONE.

With a stand alone TIVO, it's perfectly legit to say that there's a cost incurred by TIVO Company to provide the guide data for the unit. It takes manpower to culminate this data, and I agree and never had a problem paying for the TIVO "service", because it actually involved a "service"!

But with Direct TV taking over, there's no "service", they've always offered "guide data", and they incur NO EXTRA EXPENSE on their part to send this data to the DTIVO UNIT. In fact, ALL Direct TV receivers receive this data.

It's 100% filfthy greed that motivates them to do this. They know consumers are used to paying a monthly fee, so they figure they can make some extremely easy money, by continuing to charge for a service they offer to non tivo customers alike.

I'm really annoyed by this, and just wanted to vent my frustrations! Bad enough that you have to shell out a large $200-$300 for the unit itself, which over time would pay for itself (were it not for the monthly charge), but this on top of it, is just plain wrong!

Anyone else agree with me, or do you all think it's perfectly reasonable for Direct TV to do this?

BubbleLamp
01-08-2003, 02:37 PM
You might want to post this over on AVS, they seem to thrive on this kind of stuff more than most of the folks here. You bought it, you knew it was going to cost for it, so live with it or get something else.

Worf
01-09-2003, 01:05 AM
Is this a sellenoff I know from another forum? :D