PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out commercials

gsxrpilot
01-10-2003, 12:33 PM
I have successfully created DVDs using tytool and cutting out commercials using MPEG-VCR. Here is how I do it:

1. Use the regular tytool method to get .m2v and .m2a files.
2. Mutiplex using TMPEG the files into a .mpg file
3. Bring in the .mpg file to MPEG-VCR
4. Under tools, use mpeg gop fixer to fix all problems it may find with the .mpg file
5. When you bring up the file, you can choose start and stop points in the file. Choose your first start and stop points at the beginning of the video and the start of the first commercial.
6. Use the save command (lower right, looks like a beer can) to save the first file, call it file1.mpg.
7. Continue to cut out pieces without commercials as mentioned above and creating file2, file3, etc.
8. Just for safe measure, use the mpeg gop fixer on all of the above files to ensure everything is OK with all of your pieces.
9. Under tools-video clip list, bring in all of your files in the correct order (file1, file2...) and click OK
10. Use the same save command as mentioned above to save your newly joined files into one file.
11. Voila, you have a .mpg file with no commercials. You may want to go back and use mpeg gop fixer on this file as well as check audio sync in MPEG-vcr by scrubbing the video playback (by the way, mpeg-vcr is one of the best editors I have seen for moving around a mpeg-2 file).
12. You may need to demultiplex for final dvd authoring but this method has yielded great results for me (just made 3 DVD's of VH-1's series "I Love the 80's).

You can PM if you have any other questions.

captain_video
01-10-2003, 11:35 PM
Are you using the stream extracted from a SA Tivo or a DTivo?

jmayes
01-11-2003, 06:48 PM
I have done this too with DTIVO streams with 50-50 success, mpeg2vcr will work ok if the mux is in sync otherwise the audio slipppps away .

Instead of making segments and recombining I just "Cut" the Comm's out, seems easier.

When olaf gets his demuxer working this method should work well.

I also found another way to cut comms that I think is much easier using smartripper, see my other thread.

Jmayes

rd001
01-12-2003, 12:46 PM
Hopefully, jdiner's release of his visual editor/demuxer this week will solve the need for such a series of protracted operations that a lot of people find problematic.

I think Josh and Olaf have a lot of neat surprises for us in the new year.

gsxrpilot
01-13-2003, 06:33 PM
This was from a DTIVO and yes it was overly complicated. But I have found through my other video-editing experiences that mpeg-2 is just problematic when it comes to editing and keeping audio sync. MPEG-VCR seems to do the best so far but there is lots of room for improvement. I am awaiting axiously for any other tools that work better and really appreciate the effort being done on the stuff.