PDA

View Full Version : Easier Method to Edit your TIVO DVD's using SmartRipper

jmayes
01-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Here is a process I have had good success with which provides spruce-up's menus and vob's with no comm's.

1. Use TYTool, DVDpatcher & SU the normal way, mark all comm's beg and end with chapter points.

2. Use smartripper to extract the good chapters from the vob's
(There is lots more on this in other threads)

3. Combine your new vob's with the original ifo's that SU created.
(My Hack)

4. Use IFO edit "get vts sectors" to clean up.

5. Burn.

For the most part they play fine, but because timestamps are now out of wack in the vob's ff/rw functions cause looping. Just playing in normal speed seems to work. Chapter points work fine.
This behavior may be different on your player, you will just have to try it and see if your unit will even play a DVD made like this.

I am using a Sony 200 disk DVD changer CX850 which plays TiVo DVD's GREAT!!! You can find them on Ebay all the time for $250 or so. This rig is the cat's meow for keeping track of and playing our homemade DVD's.

Be sure to use Nero in the ISA/UDF mode, that is the only way the Sony will play homemade DVD, also I am using +RW and +R media, don't have a -RW burner to try, it may not work with those??

Anyone game to help me figure out how to use IFOedit to fix the timecode problems this method creates? Seems like a small matter to rescan the VOB's and Fix the original IFO's instead of replacing them which is all I can get IFOedit to do.

Great work guys (and gals)!
Jmayes

captain_video
01-12-2003, 12:17 AM
A similar method using the same tools you outlined has been posted numerous times. You basically do everything the way you described except that instead of using IFOEdit to get the VTS sectors, you do a simple de-mux using TMPGEnc to split the re-ripped files back into m2v and mpa (rename to m2a) components. These components are then re-authored from scratch using DVD Patcher and SpruceUp to add chapter stops and menus. Audio sync is maintained and there are no timestamp problems.

jmayes
01-12-2003, 01:35 AM
Yes, been there and done that, this is twice as fast and no sync problems. If the time stamps could be fixed then this only adds one step to the mix and no extra mux/demux which may create a sync problem.

Jmayes

jmayes
01-19-2003, 10:10 PM
Ok, I have now figured out how to fix the timestamps in the modified VOB's that smartripper creates.

Follow the procedure above and use IFOedit, open the IFO file that corosponds with the VOB you have edited, then select "VOB Extras", uncheck "Movie only" and letr-rip.

The comm's are gone and there are no side effects from the editing. This procedure is much quicker then any other I have found and sound never looses sync.

Enjoy,
Jmayes

N47H4N
02-24-2003, 12:13 AM
I am a newbie video extractor, but I just create brand new IFOs in IFOEdit from the trimmed VOB files (which I extract from smart ripper into a different directory).
Are you just using VOB Extras to modfiy the orginal IFO files?