PDA

View Full Version : Is it feasible to extract over Tivo Airnet?

jahmon
01-13-2003, 07:07 PM
I was going to get turbonet to extract, but since I have a wireless router, I thought I might go the wireless route. Does airnet have any problems with extractions (specifically large file transfers). I'd hate for it to cut off mid-download. Anyone have any experience using airnet for this? What are typical download speeds?

Jahmon

mrwalker66
01-14-2003, 01:07 PM
i use airnet to extract shows all the time, i usually get about 300kb download speed. i use tytool5sr and it downloads for a minute or so, stops for a half minute and them continues, then stops and so forth. i am using windows xp home edition , tytool seems to download better when i don't have a browser open...your mileage may vary..but i love the airnet...

belkin wireless router, tivo airnet, linksys dwl-650
my SA tivo is downstairs from the router, so i am probably getting the best speed that i can out of it....

white2833
01-14-2003, 02:34 PM
I get between 200-250Kbps transfers from Tytools and/or FTP to my DTiVo over Airnet (using a DWL-650 card, Linksys WAP11 Access Point, BEFSR81 8-port switch, all within 30 feet of each other).

white2833

Matt823
01-26-2003, 03:35 PM
I have been using the airnet for a few months now and every once in a while, it freezes on me, which means i have to reset my tivo. Pain in the ass. I am running a Linksys router and get approx. 340kb transfer rate. I am now going to hardwire my tivo with the turbonet instead. Nothing but a pain in the ass for me, especially the large files. You get 90-95% done and it freezes. Then you got to start all over again. I'm sick of it. Sorry, had to vent. Good Luck.

dialanothernumb
02-05-2003, 10:45 AM
I get the problem of a download freezing on mid-extraction, whether I'm splitting or not. I had suspected that Airnet was the culprit, so am also thinking of switching to a hard wired solution. Relatively straightforward but a pain nonetheless. (Anyone else switched from airnet to turbonet?.. any issues?)

newlooper
02-05-2003, 11:00 AM
I use airnet all of the time with np. By chance, do you have a 2.4GHz phone. You may have to adjust the chnnel on the access point to minimize interference.;) I would start looking at the setup instead of airnet in general being the problem.

nilknarf
02-05-2003, 11:07 AM
I had a problem using airnet where my tivo kept crashing during extraction. After much anguish, I swapped out my Orinoco Gold card with a Dell TrueMobile (suppossed to be the same card??) and the Dell card works like a champ. I think the downloads would be much faster using a turbonet, but I'll sacrifice that not to have to wire ethernet to my living room. Not to mention the coolness factor of wireless extraction.

BubbleLamp
02-05-2003, 01:01 PM
IMHO wireless sucks for Tivo extraction. If you don't want to run Ethernet cables, you might want to look at the Linksys PLEBR10. It's an Ethernet bridge that runs over AC wiring. Not as fast as 100Mbps, but every bit as fast as 10Mbps, which beats the pants off most wireless in real world installations. More $$ though, since you still need the Turbonet.

dialanothernumb
02-05-2003, 06:38 PM
Would 128-bit encryption affect file transfer significantly?

Wooly
02-06-2003, 10:24 AM
It depends on whether the encryption is done by the card or is done by the driver on the Tivo.

The studies that I've seen in comparisons of of cards with no WEP, 64 bit WEP, and 128 bit WEP show that there is a negligeable (less than 10%) impact on throughput of WEP vs. no WEP.

There is an excellent white paper detailing this in greater detail, also comparing/contrasting the 802.11a/b/g standards, along with mixed-mode implementations that I encourage anyone considering a wireless application to review:

http://www.atheros.com/pt/atheros_benchmark.pdf

Also, for more indepth information, go to this site:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com

Originally posted by dialanothernumb
Would 128-bit encryption affect file transfer significantly?

mory
12-23-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Matt823
I have been using the airnet for a few months now and every once in a while, it freezes on me, which means i have to reset my tivo. Pain in the ass. I am running a Linksys router and get approx. 340kb transfer rate. I am now going to hardwire my tivo with the turbonet instead. Nothing but a pain in the ass for me, especially the large files. You get 90-95% done and it freezes. Then you got to start all over again. I'm sick of it. Sorry, had to vent. Good Luck.

I'm having the same AirNet problems. Did you ever switch to turbonet? Did that give you more reliable downloads?

mory
12-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by dialanothernumb
I get the problem of a download freezing on mid-extraction, whether I'm splitting or not. I had suspected that Airnet was the culprit, so am also thinking of switching to a hard wired solution. Relatively straightforward but a pain nonetheless. (Anyone else switched from airnet to turbonet?.. any issues?)

Did you ever get your airnet working well? just curious because I 'm having the same problems... i suspect 2.4Ghz phone interference.