PDA

View Full Version : grainy extracts

turbobri
01-14-2003, 01:45 AM
I'm extracting/splitting/muxing fine with TyTool and mplex, but the quality of the final output is pretty grainy. It is grainy in the .m2v file so mplex is not the problem.

I am using a Sony SA 3.0 and the recording is a Best Quality. The end result is totally grainy and not just at the top/bottom.

Anyone have any suggestions?

turbobri
01-14-2003, 06:33 PM
correction: extracting from a Phillips (Sony is in the other room). I forgot the exact model but its a 14hr. unit.

Anyone else have similar problems?

keith721
01-14-2003, 08:51 PM
1. is the program source a DSS receiver, a cable line, or an over the air antenna?
2. if it's a DSS receiver, are you connected to the TiVo with an RF coaxial cable or with a super-VHS video cable?
3. if it's either a cable line or over the air antenna, what channel are you trying to record? low band VHF channels (2 through 7) are somewhat more subject to interference and weak signals; much moreso than high band VHF (8 through 13) and standard cable channels (14 and up)

so, it could be any of several things:
a) bad cables connecting your source to your TiVo
b) too many splitters in your cable line (weak signal)
c) too much interference or weak over-the-air signal

and not necesarily your TiVo, at all.

good luck... :)

turbobri
01-15-2003, 11:38 AM
The source is a cable line, and the channels have been throughout the range (some in low band range and some in upper cable range).

I was having some problems with a weak signal, but had the cable guy come out and install a signal booster. He also said there were some upstream cabling problems but supposedly they were going to do something about it.

Anyway the thing that irks me is that the picture looks good when playing through TiVo, but when I extract a show and play it back it has a lot of snow. I've also viewed the extraction on TV through my vid card's TV-out (Matrox G450) and it looks crappy that way as well.

I will try hooking up the digital cable box from the other room to this TiVo and see if that makes any difference in the quality.

Brian