PDA

View Full Version : a little codec help?

Fugg
01-18-2003, 03:16 PM
This ends up being a question about codecs, but let me start with a little background...

When I captured mpeg's in my pre tivo extraction days, I always use to use womble to do my editing. Frame accurate n' all, worked great.

Then came tivo, then dtivo extraction.

I fought long and hard to be able to find a codec for win32 that would allow me to be able to edit in tmpgenc at least(cut @ gop's), womble at best(frame accurate).

When I used womble, I would loose sync right at the getgo, from square one, no matter what I did or which codec I used.

When I used tmpgenc's "merge and cut", It was working on about 50% of my files.

Then I happened to do a fresh install and loaded just windvd3 as a player, no other codecs.

BOOM! From that point on, as long as I was using windvd3 or 4 on the system, tmpgenc started working like a charm. Edited files came out with the sync they came in with. It worked like a charm with one caveat.

You had to "play into" the point where you wanted to make the cut.

i.e., drag the slider to the point just before the point where you wanted to make the cut, hit play and hit pause when you got to the cut point. The problem came in when you hit play. The elapsed time counter at the bottom left of the screen would advance, but the video was frozen on the spot where you dropped the slider and you would not get any audio. After a few moments(5 to 120sec.), it seemed as if it "caught up" to the video and would begin to play the video and audio in sync, allowing you to make a gop accurate cut.

I pretty much resigned myself to accepting this as the cost of being able to edit a tivo file.

Then I read the other day a post from olaf pointing out "Moonlight MPEG Stream Explorer", which came with the elecard codec. I installed this dude and played with it a little, not considering that it loaded the elecard codec on the system.

Later, I cranked tmpgenc and started editing a few vids.

Even though the files it made did not hold sync after the first cut, I no longer had to wait for it to "catch up" while making the edits. It was sweet till I realized that the resulting files were hosed.

So I "un-registered" the elecard codec and all was well again with retaining sync on my files, but I have to wait for it to "catch up" again during the editing.

I know it may be a small price to pay, but still I have to wonder, and I'm finally getting to my question:

Is there a win32 codec out there somewhere that will work with tmpgenc like the elecard codec but allow me to maintain sync during editing like the windvd codec?

whadoyathink?

i know jdiner's comming out with a editor, but....

Pr.Sinister
01-18-2003, 06:04 PM
Well the author says that TMPGEnc works best with the Sony
Codec, Ligos codec, or CyberLink codec. So you might want
to try that.

Maybe another one will do wonders for you. Just download
Ace Mega Codecs Pak or Nimo Codec Pak and see which one
does the best job for you.

I haven't tried TMPGEnc in the longest time. I use VSplitmux
to do my editing. And now that Jdiner has the GopEditor, it's
just a piece of cake! I can't believe how fast i can edit out
commercials with it!

If i were you, i would just wait for the public release of Jdiner's
GopEditor. He had mentioned releasing it today at 5pm but
i don't know which timezone. It's 6pm in my timezone...

Maybe he found some things he needs to iron out before the
1st public release.

-Pr.

Fugg
01-18-2003, 06:42 PM
5pm pacific,
9pm eastern
;)

Thanks for the info!

Fugg
02-21-2003, 11:59 AM
I grabbed Ace Mega Codecs Pak and tried to install. It refused to install without being connected to the net! wtf??!?! It fussed about not being able to "connect" and refused to go any further without it.

I found buttloads of dead links for nimo, I also found disscussions saying that it has no mpeg codecs!!!!

Anyone else have any ideas?

Gopeditor works ok, but I can't do much with the resulting files.

What I'm doing still works, but "the wait" gets very frustrating....

Help?

ninsei
02-21-2003, 12:29 PM
I've tried a bunch of different codec packs including Nimo,ACE, etc. without much success with TMPGEnc. As mentioned in a previous reply, I loaded up a demo copy of the Ligos decoder and low and behold, it works like a charm. I can edit with TMPGEnc without any problems, go back and forth without it stopping or crashing or any of the other problems I ran into. Its nice to be able to see the picture as you cut and I haven't had any problems with leftover frames after the cut as some have complained with TMPGEnc.

Problem with Ligos is that is only a demo and will last for 30 days before it expires. If I don't find a suitable codec pack that works soon (only have a week left) I will most likely buy the real version of the code/player which I think is only $30. Well worth the pain IMHO.

Fugg
02-21-2003, 12:48 PM
awww, man! bless you!!!

i'll give it a shot.

THANKS!!!

Fugg
02-21-2003, 02:17 PM
woops!

thanks for the tip, but no go with ligos either.

even tried with a fresh 2k load.... bummer..

any other ideas?

the search continues....

btw, i get the same reaction with media player on a fresh load.

Pr.Sinister
02-21-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Fugg
woops!

thanks for the tip, but no go with ligos either.

even tried with a fresh 2k load.... bummer..

any other ideas?

the search continues....

btw, i get the same reaction with media player on a fresh load.

In the beginning, you said you couldn't use the output from
VsplitMux... Do you have a DVD Burner? If so, do you take stuff
from a DirecTiVo? Cause we have been able to make some nice
looking DVD's from DTiVos with DVD Movie Factory

-Pr.

ninsei
02-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Hmmm.. Well, I have no problems with Ligos and I am pulling streams off a DTivo just like you Fugg..

I've been using Olaf's tydemux instead of VSplitMux.. tydemux seems, to me to always create a perfect mpeg2 stream and fixes the DTivo's strangeness. Plug that into TMPGEnc under the "Merge and Cut" options and I can cut without any problems with the Ligos codec.. No need to play through to the cut point either.. No stopping, pausing, or "catching up"...

Hmmm. I was going to recommend making sure there are no other MPEG2 decoders secretly loaded since I had that problem for a while.. When I unload all of my codecs, when I try to play, it Media player will go out to "look" for a codec and not find one and then play just the audio.. But since you have this problem with a fresh Win2K install..hmmm..

BTW: I'm not creating DVDs (yet, though I am going to get a DVD Burner soon so I might be asking DVD related stuff soon enough :) .. I've been cutting and creating SVCDs at the moment.

Fugg
02-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Pr.Sinister,
I can't use the mux'ed files from vsplitmux. I'm using vsplitmux now to do ty's for dvd creation. I just output to mpa/mpv's and simple mux in tmpegenc. When I use merge and cut in tmpegenc, it makes very clean cuts, accurate to within +/_ .5 sec, and none of the blocking or jagged edges i get when I use gopeditor.
...and the finished mpeg's I get work with spruceup with no problem.

ninsei,
I tried tydemux to get my mpa/mpv files, used simple mux in tmpegenc, merge and cut, with the same results. I then tried "regular" mux, same result. What are you using to mux?
Are you using win2k or 98? Do you see "blocks" and "jagged edges" with ligos when seeking in merge and cut? I downloaded the current ligos player, are you using an older version?

Thanks for the info. At least now I know what I'm trying to do is possible, I just have find out where I'm hosing it up.

you posted:
"When I unload all of my codecs, when I try to play, it Media player will go out to "look" for a codec and not find one and then play just the audio..."

How do you "unload" an installed codec in win2k?

Thanks for the input. If you, or anyone else, can think of anything else, let me know!

I'll do a fresh load on another machine tomorrow afternoon.... heck, maybe it's my machine!;)

ninsei
02-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Fugg,

I currently use tydemux to create the m2a and m2v files and then I found a win32 port of the unix mplex tool to do my multiplexing and it works great. tydemux outputs the offset and i have a batch file that goes right into mplex with that offset causing no underruns or anything. I can dig up the url with the win32 mplex utility as it was not easy to find.. Soon enough, however, the newest tydemux will have built in mplex which will be extra nice.

I am using the Ligos 4.0 codec and watching the video using Media Player. When merge and cutting I don't see any jagged edges when playing or paused or anything. I have WinXP so I haven't tried Win2k or Win98 though I cringe at the thought of using Win98 ever again :)

What you're trying to do is definitely possible, and I just think you need to get the right combo to get it perfect..

good luck
-ninsei

Fugg
02-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by ninsei
Fugg,
... I can dig up the url with the win32 mplex utility as it was not easy to find..

man, that would be great, i'm not having much luck finding it.
edit:
Found it! ver 1.6, too!!:)

what command/switch settings do you use?

also posted by ninsei
Soon enough, however, the newest tydemux will have built in mplex which will be extra nice.

as mr. burns says:
"Excellent..."
;)