PDA

View Full Version : Difference btwn the dvd drives on the market?

jwmghf
01-18-2003, 10:49 PM
I'm looking for a good quality drive on the market. Not sure what the differences might be, but, I am buying it specifically to burn dvd's from tivo to my computer. I am looking for some opinions. I heard the Sony DRU 500A is a good unit. Are there any better ones with more features or better functions ect...

Thanks,

jwmghf

captain_video
01-18-2003, 11:02 PM
The Pioneer units have been around the longest. The current model A05 is a 3rd generation DVD-recordable drive. I think the Cendyne units are Pioneers that have been re-badged. You can probably find one for less than $200. Most of the other brands are still 1st generation drives. The Sony DRU-500A seems to be the most versatile but they're difficult to find at a decent price. They retail for $349 but sometimes sell for much more (going price on ebay for this model is around $400 but nobody ever accused a high ebay bidder of being a smart shopper).

SR712
01-18-2003, 11:38 PM
Before you buy, you'd be wise to check out some of the forums where people talk about problems they are having with their drives. Firmware Versions and different manufacturer's Blanks are important factors/limits. Do some reading at...

This forum -> (http://forum.firmware-flash.com/viewforum.php?f=2)

Count how many people own the newest drives and are asking for help. You might be better off getting something a little older and cheaper. Just a thought.

01-19-2003, 03:46 AM
Keep in mind that older stand alone DVD players may have trouble playing back DVD disks that you burn.

I agree with Captain Viideo, the 4X re-baged Pioneer Cendyne units (says 4X on the box) are a good buy. Currently 180 AR.

sky12
01-19-2003, 08:07 AM
I've been looking for some time at the various DVD burners and was thinking of the Sony unit for awhile, but with the shortage of them, and the best price being $310+ on them...
The 4x cendyne has enough speed for me (both DVD and CDR)
and it looks like I can get it from 1/2 the price of the Sony.

Go to the Staples web site, Look up item 499683 (4x cendyne)
This is at $249.
Coupon 79169 gets you $50 off $200+
And a mailin coupon (printable from the Staples web site) gets you another $50 off.
$150 for the drive.
Can't beat that deal with a stick.. :D

Now all I need to do is get my friend in the US to buy it for me and reship it up to Canada. (Staples.ca doesn't even have DVD-R drives)

Greg

jwmghf
01-19-2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks everyone:

I'll do a little more research and check out the forum to see what troubles people are having with these drives.

jwmghf

cory
01-22-2003, 08:38 AM
i would recommend the pioneer dvr-105

i have a pioneer dvr-104 and it has worked great for me.
also got a dvr-105 on monday but it is defective.
would only read cd's would not even detect blank
cd's, blank dvds or even commerical dvds.

i was really looking forward to burning at 4x.
now i have to wait for a replacement.

jwmghf
01-22-2003, 01:52 PM
I have heard that you want to buy the burner that comes with the best software. Newer software allows you to add to the DVD (ie several burns on the same DVD)

I thinks it’s called “progressive writing”….

Can someone please elaborate on this.

jwmghf

Wooly
01-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Don't suppose you have the 2xall/4xall firmware hack for this drive that is floating around, do you? I have a Cendyne 4x drive on order (it's a Pioneer DVR-105) and would like to be able to burn 2x on my Princo's like I can with my current A03.

Originally posted by cory
i would recommend the pioneer dvr-105

i have a pioneer dvr-104 and it has worked great for me.
also got a dvr-105 on monday but it is defective.
would only read cd's would not even detect blank
cd's, blank dvds or even commerical dvds.

i was really looking forward to burning at 4x.
now i have to wait for a replacement.

Torg
01-22-2003, 10:23 PM
http://firmwares.co.uk

Wooly
01-23-2003, 08:38 AM
Been there...they don't have it (that's where I got my 2xAll for my A03).

Originally posted by Torg
http://firmwares.co.uk