PDA

View Full Version : Can't get 720 x 480 extraction from SA TiVo

pesty1
01-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Question from a long time lurker and first time poster! And a big thanks to all the folks who've been writing all these great programs.

I'm not exactly new to the TiVo hacking scene and I usually just plug along (and of course search all the old posts) till I solve the problem myself but its now time for me to ask for a little help.

I can't get my SA Tivo with 3.0 software set to record at 720x480 resolution (mode 0). My unit is connected to a cable box using the composite video input. I originally assumed that I'd need to change the CATV settings.

Any changes documented below were made for both Bitrates and AltBitrates. I also restarted the Tivo after each full set of changes, I assume this is necessary for the modifications to take effect.

First I tried changing the "Basic" mode (for testing since I never use this one anyway) to -

CATVBasicResolution = 0
CATVBasicVBRBitrate = 5215000
CATVBasicMAXBitrate = 5960000
(yes, pressing enter after each change!)

I suspected that this wasn't working when watching this new "basic" recording, the picture looked much worse than I'm used to (I always record in "Best" mode). When I extracted the video was indeed the standard basic mode not the one I was hoping for. PowerDVD also showed the bitrate at about 1.x Mbps.

Next I changed all the "RooftopBasic" settings, this didn't work either.

Then I decided to go for it and change the "Best" mode. Again changing all the "CATVBest" and "RooftopBest" entries. That didn't work either.

I was at this point wondering if any of the changes I made were being used at all so I decided to up the CATVBestVBRBitrate to 7960000 and the CATVBestMAXBitrate to 7960000.
PowerDVD shows my old "Best" recordings at about 5.8Mbps. I was expecting that even if the 720 x 480 res didn't work that the Bitrate values would at least work ... no go, PowerDVD showed them to be at the same old 5.8Mbps.

I was originally using Tivoweb 1.9.4 Beta 3 and upgraded to the latest Tivoweb build (released 1/1/2003) thinking that something might have changed with the resources but that didn't help either.

I've been using MoonLight MSExplorer to check the resolution of my extracted streams, I'm up to using something different for testing if necessary. I really don't think thats the problem though since I can visibly see that the picture is degraded and not recording at the higher Bitrates.

What in the world am I missing?? I half expect someone to say that you can't change the resolution on SA Tivo's but I've never read anything stating this (why else show the settings in Tivoweb). GOOD GREIF!

Thanks much for any suggestions!

Hi8
01-19-2003, 08:00 PM
the secret ..

you can only change or 'submit' one webform field per ... (hit enter)

so ; in other words don't just go and enter all the parameter values and submit.

once you have done that(changed each value ONE -at-a time) .. select update... then reboot.... works like a charm.

it appears you are doing that, but all I can say is that is where everyone has made a mistake. Including myself. The only other thing I think you may be misunderstanding is that CATV is the setting that comes in through the "F" Connector the DBS is what comes through the S-Video and composite (RCA) connectors.

Also the resolution setting is tricky as they can contradict each other.

pesty1
01-19-2003, 08:15 PM
Hi8,

Thanks for your reply. As I indicated in my original post I pressed enter after each change. A refresh of the pages of course shows the expected new values.

From my post - "(yes, pressing enter after each change!)"

I have to addmit I don't know what you mean by "select update ..." as there is no update button. I just change one value at a time and press enter. I then get a page with a line like "Setting value of Bitrates::CATVBestResolution to 0". I then go back one page and refresh the page.

Thanks for your reply though! Any other ideas?

Bigdog999
01-19-2003, 08:27 PM
when you first enter resource editor, down below you'll see "update resources", click on this when you're done to finalize your edits

Hi8
01-19-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Bigdog999
when you first enter resource editor, down below you'll see "update resources", click on this when you're done to finalize your edits

yes, that is what I mean by 'update' when you are done, then reboot.

but as I mentioned in my previous post... changing the 'correct' values for the related inputs is also as important.

just because you may have your cable box plugged into your S-Video/RCA inputs doesn't mean you change the CATV settings. You would change the DBS settings at least that's what is intended with my Sony SVR2000 - the DBS is connected to my A/
V inputs, and my CATV is connected to the "F" connector. My Sony has it's own CATV tuner so why use a box/converter unless you need it for scrambled premium channels?

Hi8
01-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Also check this thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12736&perpage=15&highlight=resource%20editor)

pesty1
01-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Thanks Everyone,

The "Update Resources" link on the "Resources" page was indeed the missing link! I hadn't even noticed that link before.

I was thinking that since the changes I made were present after the reboots that these settings must be the ones that the TiVo was using. If not where were they coming from? .... very odd.

Anyway the "CATV" settings were the right ones. I don't think that the "DBS" settings have any meaning at all on a Stand Alone Tivo. I haven't used the built in tuner since I signed-up for Digital Cable.

Now I'm off to experimenting with the Bitrates to see what I can eek out of my 7200 RPM drive.

Thanks Very Much!

P.S. I'm a very big fan of Olaf's TyRemux program. I was never able to get any kind of Audio or Video syncing before his version 4.x came out and I can't wait to see what he's got up his sleeve next! That's why I'm poking around with the capture settings, I'd like to be able to capture to a "legal" DVD resolution without having to do any kind of re-encoding of the video.

laserfan
01-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Hi8
...just because you may have your cable box plugged into your S-Video/RCA inputs doesn't mean you change the CATV settings. You would change the DBS settings at least that's what is intended with my Sony SVR2000...I don't think this is right. I seem to recall that when I set-up my Tivo that I had to tell it I had a CATV system with a cable box, and then it automagically looked for a video signal on the inputs, and recognized that there was video on the Composite video input (from my digital cable box). So I change the CATV settings in the Resource Editor i.e. I'm quite sure that the settings you change must correspond to the input method you have selected.

laserfan
01-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by pesty1
...I'd like to be able to capture to a "legal" DVD resolution without having to do any kind of re-encoding of the video. You can capture at most any resolution (assuming your DVD player will tolerate it), but to be DVD-compliant you can use 720x480 (Tivo res 0) or 352x480 (Tivo res setting 1). I have used both w/good success.

And until tydemux or tytool includes resampling of audio, you're still stuck with having to convert from 32kHz to 48kHz audio in order to get DVD-compliant (unless your player likes the 32kHz audio which most do not).