PDA

View Full Version : Serial Port on New HDVR2

two4lu
01-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi everyone, i was reading about getting a bash prompt on the new tivo HDVR2 connected to a serial port, but my New Tivo Does not have a serial port, so my question is what is the alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Two4Lu

KRavEN
01-21-2003, 02:33 PM
You could get one of those usb to serial adapters, cross compile the driver as a module, and then use the bash_env string to load the module and get bash on it.

Don't have a S2 yet, but that's what I will be trying once I get one.

AlphaWolf
01-21-2003, 03:31 PM
Ethernet would be so much easier and have a much higher speed....If your PC doesn't have an ethernet adapter, you should definitely get one, ethernet networking serves a multitude of purposes. Plus its very cheap.

mrblack51
01-21-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by two4lu
Hi everyone, i was reading about getting a bash prompt on the new tivo HDVR2 connected to a serial port, but my New Tivo Does not have a serial port, so my question is what is the alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Two4Lu

if you have an HDVR2, then your tivo has a serial port (all tivos have serial ports). its on the back above the ir blaster port, in the middle of the unit. you will need a bash cable to use it. the others are right, in that USB Ethernet is better, but you can make a bash cable for next to nothing as well.