PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt To Create a DVD

boboli
01-21-2003, 07:08 PM
I am trying my first time to create a DVD burnable file..

Using as my reference is the ZMerch page at:

http://www.30below.com/~zmerch/tivo/index.cfm

Where I am stuck is on Step 8:

Step 8: Once the d2v file is done, start VFAPI-Conv-en.exe and click "Add Job" then click on the nameofshow.d2v file & click "Open", then "OK". Click on "Convert" and the project AVI will be made. It should only take a few seconds.

I don't see any reference to the VFAPI-Conv-en.exe program within the DVD2AVI program.

Has anyone used this that can point out what a moron I am?
B

mpauley
01-22-2003, 12:03 AM
VFAPI can be found here (http://www.divx-digest.com/software/vfapi.html) .

--mp

trm
01-22-2003, 04:31 AM
Here's the method I used to create DVDs:

Pull content using tytool5. Save as ty files. I do this because as extraction tools improve, I can always re-extract the m2v and m2a.

split using vsplit13 -s file.ty file.m2v file.m2a

multiplex back together into file.mpg using mplex -f3 --sync-offset <vsplit value> -o file.mpg file.m2v file.m2a

Used TMPGENC cut and merge to snip commercials out into file-nc.mpg.

Use TMPGENC to reencode 480x480 file-nc.mpeg into 720x480 interlaced with field A first file-nc-a.mpeg

Use ULEAD DVD Workshop to burn file-nc-a.mpeg and other programs to disk.

I am dealing with short programs (40 minutes) so this method works pretty well.

One strange thing:

TIVO supposedly records in VBR. But TMPGENC cut and merge work quite well to chop it up. Non-tivo VBRs are a disaster with cut & merge. Is TIVO actually CBR?

zabs
01-22-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by trm
Use TMPGENC to reencode 480x480 file-nc.mpeg into 720x480 interlaced with field A first file-nc-a.mpeg

Is it better to patch the header or transcode in tmpgenc to get to dvd standard?

Fugg
01-22-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by zabs
Is it better to patch the header or transcode in tmpgenc to get to dvd standard?
The "patching the header" method will allow you to import a "non-standard" mpeg into your dvd authoring program. While allowing you to import a mpeg without affecting the quality of the video, it also makes it unwatchable on some old or very expensive dvd players. Most new (or very inexpensive) ones will play it with no problems, though.
see http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers for player compatability

The "complete transcoding" method, while giving you a dvd standard file that should play in any dvd player, degrades the video quality and could take between 6 to 24 hours per hour of video to transcode, depending on your computer.

justme
01-22-2003, 07:44 PM
I agree that transcoding, by its very nature, does result in a degradation, compared to the original. After all, doing so takes a lossy MPEG2 and creates another lossy MPEG2. However, I have transcoded quite a few movies from my DTiVo and I'll be darned if I can tell the difference on my 32 inch TV.

It may be that the upsampling of the resolution from 480x480 to 720x480 masks some of the loss. It may also be due to the fact that even a good TV is still not "high quality" when it comes to video (we are talking NTSC, after all).

All of this will probably be much more critical when we all have HDTV broadcasts and TiVos (one of these years). At that point, I'll be doing this all over again, on blue-laser DVDs :-)

As for me, my DVD player actually does play the "faked out" DTiVo DVDs. However, I decided to transcode so I would have fully compatible DVDs. It's a personal choice. Whatever works for you is the correct answer.

Piedrap
02-17-2003, 09:23 PM
some one help me ? :
I have a double face dvd ..in one face get a full screen, in the 2 nd got a second audio ( spanish ) , but only wide screen... I wold like to my ?
How can I extract one full side from one face , and the other 2cond audio from the other one......I m trying many of appz - tools, ( spliting , de-muxing , merging ..but allways got a corrupters frames, causes the movie frozed...if some body could help me , with it , to recomend me which appls are compatible , fiendly..plsss.

I `ll apreciate it .....

ops for any hel , for tivo tolls , I`m using : "TyDemux\TyMplex.bat " and working ok..faster that any others... : ) check this site : http://lists.merlins.org/archives/extractstream/2002-November/002010.html