View Full Version : Tivo-Directivo Fileserver Insert/Export Project

fnick50
01-22-2003, 08:11 AM
THE PLAN: I want to build a dedicated Computer with specs of:

486 or Better
16mb or better
80Gb Hard Drive
DVD-RAM Drive

To Have a Tivo with the necessary scripts to export/push shows to any network destination for any show/movie that has been newly recorded back to the Dedicated PC without interupting Live TV or Anything being played Back from the Now Playing List.

Also the capability to find any archived show on the Dedicated PC and to import back to the tivo without any disruption to tivo and the mfs partition.

****First off I give alot Credit and Gratitude to DD Forum Users:
RC3105, AlphaWolf,Jdiner,Edpuffmonster, And the others that allowed us to use are tivo's in a more functional way, Thank You!

RC3105, you get mad respect and credit for your Backup/Restore DVD Burner project, Great Work on that and your other projects as well.

Well the way I am thinking about going about this is:

Step 1- Buy the computer and setup all the parts.

Step-2- Install the Turbo Net and modify it so it transfers 2gig/per Hour to the dedicated PC.

Step 3-Run a script in the tivo that will autoextract anything that gets recorded, I have to look into that.

Step 4- SMB mount would be needed.

Step 5- Finding the RC3105 script for inserting or importing video so that you can watch it 30 seconds after importing it.

***I am not a Guru in anyone subject. I do intend to work hard on this project. I will read everyday, I will test and test if I have too. But I am not looking to take advantage of anyone's time, I intend to earn my way everystep.

Any Suggestion or anything at all you might want to add or help me out with, would be greatly appreciated. Anything at all.

Post a Message or Email Me

Thanks RC3105 for the insight, you taught me alot about what I need to do already, looking to hear from you soon.

Take Care,

Fnick50
:cool:

Ego
01-22-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by fnick50

486 or Better
16mb or better
80Gb Hard Drive
DVD-RAM Drive

To Have a Tivo with the necessary scripts to export/push shows to any network destination for any show/movie that has been newly recorded back to the Dedicated PC without interupting Live TV or Anything being played Back from the Now Playing List.

Also the capability to find any archived show on the Dedicated PC and to import back to the tivo without any disruption to tivo and the mfs partition.

****First off I give alot Credit and Gratitude to DD Forum Users:
RC3105, AlphaWolf,Jdiner,Edpuffmonster, And the others that allowed us to use are tivo's in a more functional way, Thank You!

RC3105, you get mad respect and credit for your Backup/Restore DVD Burner project, Great Work on that and your other projects as well.

Well the way I am thinking about going about this is:

Step 1- Buy the computer and setup all the parts.

Step-2- Install the Turbo Net and modify it so it transfers 2gig/per Hour to the dedicated PC.

Step 3-Run a script in the tivo that will autoextract anything that gets recorded, I have to look into that.

Step 4- SMB mount would be needed.

Step 5- Finding the RC3105 script for inserting or importing video so that you can watch it 30 seconds after importing it.

***I am not a Guru in anyone subject. I do intend to work hard on this project. I will read everyday, I will test and test if I have too. But I am not looking to take advantage of anyone's time, I intend to earn my way everystep.

Any Suggestion or anything at all you might want to add or help me out with, would be greatly appreciated. Anything at all.

Post a Message or Email Me

Thanks RC3105 for the insight, you taught me alot about what I need to do already, looking to hear from you soon.

Take Care,

Fnick50
:cool:

This is a really neat idea. I might suggest scripting an FTP session, rather than using Samba. I think FTP would be more efficient, and have less overhead on the TiVo itself. I don't know if anyone ever compiled an FTP client for the tivo side, but if they have, this is the way I would go about the transfer portion of it.

As for knowing when a new show is recorded, I recall "back in the day" when I used to play with video extraction, there was a TCL script that basically spit out your "Now Showing" list in XML format. If one could take a script like this, and run it every 30 minutes, and diff it against the previous run's output, one would be left with all new shows. That part wouldn't be all that difficult, once the script was found anyways. :)

Anyways, I like the idea though. Really a neat idea. I work about 90 hours a week, so I don't have the time to be able to offer assistance, other than moral support and opinions/advice, but if this ever gets off the ground, I'll definitely use it. :)

AlphaWolf
01-22-2003, 03:15 PM
don't forget embeem and tivodvlpr, whose coding efforts made insertion possible.

With specs like that, it would be best to build a custom linux distribution, and use NFS. A script could easily detect if there is a recording in progress, and extract it on the fly (e.g. as its being recorded). It could send it to an NFS mount which to the scripts would be treated as a local file. Multiple tivos could share this same mount. In theory, if the turbonet is fast enough, you can insert that recording to another tivo while the source tivo is still recording it.

There would definitely be a lot of work involved in this.

Come to think of it though, it would also easily serve as a multiple tuner setup for an SA tivo, or add more tuners to a directivo, as the other units in the household synergeticaly combine their tuners.

Enigma
01-25-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by fnick50

486 or Better
16mb or better
80Gb Hard Drive
DVD-RAM Drive

You will almost certainly need more than the above quoted specs to playback MPEG2, preovided you are planning on using the CPU for decoding. If you have a dedicated hardware MPEG decoder you might be able to get away with a Pentium-class processor. One of my HTPCs (home theater PCs) has a AMD K6-2@450MHz and it has problems keeping up with best quality Tivo video. Heavily compressed Avi/Divx files are basically unplayable.

[/B]

I have my systems set up to do this now. However, so far it is a much slower than a realtime process. Here are the steps the video takes:

1. User requests a show from the Tivo from HTPC interface or Web interface.

2. Tivo exports ty files and show information to LocoMotion server.

3. Background script on server checks for new ty files. When it finds a show that has been exported it
a. puts the ty chunks together into 1 large stream
b. converts it to a/v files with tydemux, then
c. uses mplex to put the files back together in a directory available to the HTPCs.

The video is not available to the client until step 3c. Once the multiplexing has started, the client can begin watching the video.

Once tydemux has STDIN/STDOUT support (and mplex integration) I should be able to get close to realtime video streaming from the Tivo. In step 2 I can split the output to a ty file for archiving and to tydemux for the client. With tydemux spitting the MPEG to STDOUT, you could redirect the stream to a file, to a Locomotion client, or as http directly to mplayer. I also have the locomotion server running on the Tivo, it can export Ty streams directly to the HTPC. However, all the conversion/multiplexing would have to be done on the client, as well as playback. My current clients do not have the power to do that in real time, but my server does-so for now I am doing all the intermediate processing on the server.

fnick50
01-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Thank you to all that made input on the Fileserver Insert/Export Project. I just wanted to say that I am still reading everynite, and the parts for my project are on the way. I want to post a more official post when I have time to share what I have collected from other threads and ideas alike. Again Thank You and I we keep you updated. Everyone is right on point with exactly what I am trying to acheive and I really really appreciate the input I have gotton so far.

Take Care,
Nick
:)

DaG-LaNd
02-13-2003, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure this is as slick as your think as the transfer between tivo and pc isn't fast. I think your time and money would be better serverd increasing your hd space on the tivo.,