PDA

View Full Version : changing the remote codes on a DSR6000

Ego
01-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Greetings,

OK, let me give a bit of background first. I've been a tivo user for about 3 years now. I started with a Sony standalone, got another a year later, switched to directv about 6 months ago, and here we are, present day. :)

I went out and bought some DSR6000's off e-bay, some "no guarantee!" units. They were broke. Real broke. I only paid $80 a piece though, and lots of parts are still good on them, so it was worth it.

I have collected enough parts to successfully get two DSR6000's operational (I haven't actually done it yet, but I have all the parts to do it).

About 3 months ago, I bought my buddy a tivo off e-bay as a housewarming gift. He knew I had some tivos, but he didn't get it, even after showing it to him. Now that he's got one, he, as most of us, doesn't know what he'd do without it. However, the unit I got him was a Philips standalone. I noticed that there is no one button on the philips standalones that goes directly to the 'Now Showing' menu like the Sony does. You HAVE to hit the TiVo button twice. My friend doesn't mind, since he's never used a Sony, but this would drive me INSANE after 3 years of using a Sony and hitting a button just once.

Yeah, I'm nit-picking, but still.. So I got to thinking, assuming that these DSR6000's are like the Philips standalones, and there is no magic button to get right to the 'Now Showing' list, what can I do about it. I of course played with the idea of a macro that just spits out the tivo button IR code twice, but my remote already has all its macro buttons in use. I COULD go buy a new remote, but that's a pain, plus I love my remote (Sony LVM-900).

So, I turn to you guys. :) So much has been done in the way of hacking TiVos, both standalone and combo units, that perhaps this is possible as well. Is there any way to remap the tivo to accept the Sony IR codes, instead of the Philips IR codes? Hell, what if one just put a Sony image on the thing? This is going to be a virgin unit, I prepared a hard drive already, but I can re-image it without a problem. I'm not real sure how the IR stuff works, but I recall someone saying that all tivos are the same (well, standalone anyways, I have no idea about combo units), and the only difference between brands (I'm excluding series 2 units in this statement) was what was on the hard drive.

So could I just put a Sony T-60 image on a DSR6000 and pick up a Sony remote off ebay, and then be set? Would this cause any kind of problems?

Any insight into this would be appreciated. Again, I know it is a nit-picky kind of issue, but I can already tell its going to bother the hell out of me, based on my reaction every time I go to my buddy's house and use his Philips standalone. Drives me nuts. :)

fixn278
01-22-2003, 12:07 PM
Well, I haven't tried it myself, but if I understand correctly, the Series 1 DTivo's are all the same. The only thing that makes them different is the remote and the image. So theoretically, if you replaced the Phillips image with a Sony image, it should react the same way to a Sony remote that an original Sony machine would.

Ego
01-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by fixn278
Well, I haven't tried it myself, but if I understand correctly, the Series 1 DTivo's are all the same. The only thing that makes them different is the remote and the image. So theoretically, if you replaced the Phillips image with a Sony image, it should react the same way to a Sony remote that an original Sony machine would.

That's what I figured, and I know this is the case with standalone units. I just wasn't sure about DTiVos. Consequently, I found someone selling Sonys now for $200 a pop, working order, everything included (cables, remote, etc), NO hacking done at all to them, etc. Basically, a sweeeeeet deal. I'm gonna buy two of them, and if it pans out and they are in good shape, I'll pass on the contact information to all the folks on the forum who might be looking for a DTiVo unit. This is an awesome deal compared to what they're going for on ebay. Hell, I might buy more than 2 and turn around and sell 'em for twice as much on ebay. :)

1dave1
01-22-2003, 04:08 PM
Putting a Sony image on a Phillips is no problem, it works fine. Including the sony remote. But from my trials, when I put a Phillips image in a Sony unit. It just didnt act right. Its been a year since I've done this so I cant remember all the details, sorry but I hope that helps a little.